• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
momofguats

how much sugar?

13 posts in this topic

I am 6 weeks post op. I haven't dumped yet at all. But I have been super careful about no sugar and very little fat. I have eaten peanut butter which has 3 grams of sugar. My question is, how many grams of sugar gets you into a range where you could dump. An animal cracker serving is 7 grams. If I ate one, would that be too much? I know it is different for everyone, but I am curios about a range. Thanks for sharing.

Diana

I took some liquid tylenol (rapid-blast) a few days after surgery (trying to wean myself off pain meds) and, aparently I dumped on the sugar they put in the syrup used to make it liquid. Didn't know that's what it was at the time though, but I got hot, dizzy, queasy and shaky. The nurse told me that was dumping at my first post-op appointment.

On the other hand, I've added one tablespoon of Country Time Lemonade to my strawberry protein shake and been perfectly fine.

Liquid Tylenol Rapid-Blast - 18g sugar (found a reference online to someone who called and asked)

Country Time Lemonade - 15.4g sugar

It is different for everyone. I use splenda in everything and have had NO trouble. That said, I do take Nyquil without any problems. When I read a sugar count, I try never to go above 5 grams.

My doctor recommended I stay below 20g/serving. He said it was still possible to dump and if I did to decrease sugar to 10g/serving. I haven't dumped yet (1 month post op). Of course, all the sugar I'm getting is naturally occuring sugar in things like yogurt and fruit smoothies. It might be different if I tried to eat a 1/4 cup of a brownie.

I really hope I can stick to never eat refined sugar again. I want to be that healthy person;-)

At Kaiser we were told to stay within or below 5 grams to be safe. That is very very low. I seem to be able to tolerate around 10 grams and anything over that makes me start feeling sick.

I usually don't go above 12 grams. I can tolerate about 7 to 8 grams of sugar without feeling anything, but I try to stay away from it all together. If I go up to 12, I start to feel a little shakey. Everyone is different, and some people, my boyfriend for example, can handle any amount of sugar. Its just a testing game to see how much you can tolerate.

As for sugar, I really haven't had any since a month or so before my surgery. I had a sip of my moms raspberry lemonade which was sweetened with sugar and it was a taste OVERLOAD. It was so strong and so sweet to me that I couldn't take it. Its funny how your tastes change after surgery. :P

It is different for everyone. I use splenda in everything and have had NO trouble. That said, I do take Nyquil without any problems. When I read a sugar count, I try never to go above 5 grams.

I totally agree. Splenda is the answer. I can't remember the last time I had anything with sugar. It makes me feel yucky.

Hey there....Micca told me to stay below 14-16g and we shouldn't have to worry about and she said normally natural sugars like fruit shouldn't bother us......hope all is well :)

Natural sugars from fruit don't bother me in the slightest - I eat that all day long.

Added sugar causes me a problem at around the 10-12g mark.

Sugar alcohols ..... that's a different story entirely. I end up with tummy ache after 2-3g. 5g or more and I'm enjoying the decor of my bathroom for a couple of hours! :P

Hey there....Micca told me to stay below 14-16g and we shouldn't have to worry about and she said normally natural sugars like fruit shouldn't bother us......hope all is well :)

Everyone is different! I for one have not issues with MOST fruit (natural sugars) but cherries are a totally different story for me. I can have a SLIVER of a cake (on rare occasions) with no issues...but cherries are a NO GO for me!

Sugar alcohols ..... that's a different story entirely. I end up with tummy ache after 2-3g. 5g or more and I'm enjoying the decor of my bathroom for a couple of hours! :P

I have to watch how much sugar-free syrups I put in my protein drink because if I do not I can make the people around me leave the room...

Everyone is different, I was told no more than 14 grams of sugar. I am fine at 14 - one of my protein bars has that much. I would say the most i have eatten is 20g and I have yet to dump. I don't want to push it and learn that I am one of those people that will not dump because chocolate, ice cream and cake are my weaknesses. There are times I am tempted to see if I will dump, but I really don't want to know. If I assume I will dump I am safe, if I learn I won't dump I am afraid I will start making little slips that eventually lead into my old habits.

Everyone is different, I was told no more than 14 grams of sugar. I am fine at 14 - one of my protein bars has that much. I would say the most i have eatten is 20g and I have yet to dump. I don't want to push it and learn that I am one of those people that will not dump because chocolate, ice cream and cake are my weaknesses. There are times I am tempted to see if I will dump, but I really don't want to know. If I assume I will dump I am safe, if I learn I won't dump I am afraid I will start making little slips that eventually lead into my old habits.

Excellent philosophy for lifetime success! You go, girl!

Thanks Jim for telling me what Micca said. I've been freaking out about the amt. of sugar I can eat. I haven't gone over 5grams. This opens the door to a lot more food choices. Good to know!