• Hospital:Springfield Memorial Hospital
  • Start Weight:266
  • Current Weight:162
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):00
  • Surgery Date:05/10/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

I am 6 weeks post op. I haven't dumped yet at all. But I have been super careful about no sugar and very little fat. I have eaten peanut butter which has 3 grams of sugar. My question is, how many grams of sugar gets you into a range where you could dump. An animal cracker serving is 7 grams. If I ate one, would that be too much? I know it is different for everyone, but I am curios about a range. Thanks for sharing.
Diana

#2 Sunmaid

Sunmaid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Courcoulas
  • Hospital:Magee
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:182
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:06/03/2010

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

I took some liquid tylenol (rapid-blast) a few days after surgery (trying to wean myself off pain meds) and, aparently I dumped on the sugar they put in the syrup used to make it liquid. Didn't know that's what it was at the time though, but I got hot, dizzy, queasy and shaky. The nurse told me that was dumping at my first post-op appointment.

On the other hand, I've added one tablespoon of Country Time Lemonade to my strawberry protein shake and been perfectly fine.

Liquid Tylenol Rapid-Blast - 18g sugar (found a reference online to someone who called and asked)

Country Time Lemonade - 15.4g sugar
=======================
Statistics: Female; 39; 5'9"

Start/DoS/Current/Goal
280/256/182/160

**Last updated 4/3/11**

#3 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

It is different for everyone. I use splenda in everything and have had NO trouble. That said, I do take Nyquil without any problems. When I read a sugar count, I try never to go above 5 grams.

Posted Image

#4 Lifeoffire

Lifeoffire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Surgeon:Paul Enochs
  • Hospital:REX
  • Start Weight:425
  • Current Weight:308
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):47
  • Surgery Date:05/24/2010

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

My doctor recommended I stay below 20g/serving. He said it was still possible to dump and if I did to decrease sugar to 10g/serving. I haven't dumped yet (1 month post op). Of course, all the sugar I'm getting is naturally occuring sugar in things like yogurt and fruit smoothies. It might be different if I tried to eat a 1/4 cup of a brownie.

I really hope I can stick to never eat refined sugar again. I want to be that healthy person;-)

#5 SweetP

SweetP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationElk Grove, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Fisher
  • Hospital:Kaiser, Richmond, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:124
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.4
  • Surgery Date:11/25/2009

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

At Kaiser we were told to stay within or below 5 grams to be safe. That is very very low. I seem to be able to tolerate around 10 grams and anything over that makes me start feeling sick.

Be grateful for what you have,

not ungrateful for what you don�t have.

Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/1st Goal/Ultimate Goal

290/249/124/130/120

#6 mego5dzgrc

mego5dzgrc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationFresno, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Onopchenko
  • Hospital:Atlanticare
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:288
  • Current Weight:148
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:04/12/2010

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

I usually don't go above 12 grams. I can tolerate about 7 to 8 grams of sugar without feeling anything, but I try to stay away from it all together. If I go up to 12, I start to feel a little shakey. Everyone is different, and some people, my boyfriend for example, can handle any amount of sugar. Its just a testing game to see how much you can tolerate.

As for sugar, I really haven't had any since a month or so before my surgery. I had a sip of my moms raspberry lemonade which was sweetened with sugar and it was a taste OVERLOAD. It was so strong and so sweet to me that I couldn't take it. Its funny how your tastes change after surgery. :P
4-12-10 - The day my life changed FOREVER! :P
8/30/10 - ONEderland! Wooo HOOO!
3/7/11 - hit my size 8 jeans goal!
Only 27 more pounds until my goal weight!

#7 Claire-in-Texas

Claire-in-Texas

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Central Texas
  • Height (ft-in):4-10
  • Start Weight:236
  • Current Weight:104
  • Goal Weight:126
  • Surgery Date:04/09/2007

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

It is different for everyone. I use splenda in everything and have had NO trouble. That said, I do take Nyquil without any problems. When I read a sugar count, I try never to go above 5 grams.

I totally agree. Splenda is the answer. I can't remember the last time I had anything with sugar. It makes me feel yucky.

#8 Gonbutnotforgotten

Gonbutnotforgotten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hey there....Micca told me to stay below 14-16g and we shouldn't have to worry about and she said normally natural sugars like fruit shouldn't bother us......hope all is well :)

#9 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,750 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

Natural sugars from fruit don't bother me in the slightest - I eat that all day long.

Added sugar causes me a problem at around the 10-12g mark.

Sugar alcohols ..... that's a different story entirely. I end up with tummy ache after 2-3g. 5g or more and I'm enjoying the decor of my bathroom for a couple of hours! :P

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#10 katzz87

katzz87

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:194
  • Surgery Date:01-14-2008

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hey there....Micca told me to stay below 14-16g and we shouldn't have to worry about and she said normally natural sugars like fruit shouldn't bother us......hope all is well :)

Everyone is different! I for one have not issues with MOST fruit (natural sugars) but cherries are a totally different story for me. I can have a SLIVER of a cake (on rare occasions) with no issues...but cherries are a NO GO for me!

Sugar alcohols ..... that's a different story entirely. I end up with tummy ache after 2-3g. 5g or more and I'm enjoying the decor of my bathroom for a couple of hours! :P

I have to watch how much sugar-free syrups I put in my protein drink because if I do not I can make the people around me leave the room...
Cathy

#11 justme1963

justme1963

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Cerabona
  • Hospital:Westchester Medical Center
  • Start Weight:289
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29.5
  • Surgery Date:10/19/2009

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

Everyone is different, I was told no more than 14 grams of sugar. I am fine at 14 - one of my protein bars has that much. I would say the most i have eatten is 20g and I have yet to dump. I don't want to push it and learn that I am one of those people that will not dump because chocolate, ice cream and cake are my weaknesses. There are times I am tempted to see if I will dump, but I really don't want to know. If I assume I will dump I am safe, if I learn I won't dump I am afraid I will start making little slips that eventually lead into my old habits.

#12 Claire-in-Texas

Claire-in-Texas

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Central Texas
  • Height (ft-in):4-10
  • Start Weight:236
  • Current Weight:104
  • Goal Weight:126
  • Surgery Date:04/09/2007

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

Everyone is different, I was told no more than 14 grams of sugar. I am fine at 14 - one of my protein bars has that much. I would say the most i have eatten is 20g and I have yet to dump. I don't want to push it and learn that I am one of those people that will not dump because chocolate, ice cream and cake are my weaknesses. There are times I am tempted to see if I will dump, but I really don't want to know. If I assume I will dump I am safe, if I learn I won't dump I am afraid I will start making little slips that eventually lead into my old habits.

Excellent philosophy for lifetime success! You go, girl!

#13 momofguats

momofguats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Surgeon:Max Hammer
  • Hospital:Springfield Memorial Hospital
  • Start Weight:266
  • Current Weight:162
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):00
  • Surgery Date:05/10/2010

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Jim for telling me what Micca said. I've been freaking out about the amt. of sugar I can eat. I haven't gone over 5grams. This opens the door to a lot more food choices. Good to know!