• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Sunmaid

When do steri-strips fall off?

19 posts in this topic

Okay, when do the steri-strips start to fall off?

Mine are almost like they were when I came home from the hospital (itching aside).

Just wondering at what point they start getting off me.

Your post made me laugh because I was in the same boat. Mine took forever! Some were even still on when I went for my first follow-up with the surgeon. Hey, I wasn't about to rip them off :)

She took one look and said "eh, these are still on?" and RIIIIP!

Your post made me laugh because I was in the same boat. Mine took forever! Some were even still on when I went for my first follow-up with the surgeon. Hey, I wasn't about to rip them off :)

She took one look and said "eh, these are still on?" and RIIIIP!

Ha, that's exactly what happened to me. Well, except that ALL of mine were still on. Not one fell off on its own.

Hmm, my first post-op appointment is on Monday, so I guess maybe I just have 1 more week of putting up with them.

Guess we all took really great care of them! LOL

Thanks!

My doctor told me to remove mine the same week to avoid moister collecting under them. I did @*# instructed and I have had no problems.

Hmm, my first post-op appointment is on Monday, so I guess maybe I just have 1 more week of putting up with them.

Guess we all took really great care of them! LOL

Thanks!

You can take a wet Q-tip and soak the edges of the tape. Stay away from the incision if possible. This will help loosen them up (the tape that is). If you pick at the tape from both ends until it is just covering the scab this will help. Then you only need to do that area.... and ONLY IF IT IS READY!!!! Do NOT take them off at the incision unless it happens easily and isn't pulling on the incision line.

FYI- the scab will most likely come off with the tape. And that is OK if it happens easily.

My surgeon told me that they should curl up and be off in about a week. I see him in two weeks! So glad that it is over,but now I am struggling with water, pills, stage 2, breathing thingie, and walking!:eek: So overwhelmed!

It never ceases to amaze me the different answers we all have. You would think that this would be a universal thing. LOL

I was told not to take them off... that they would fall off on their own naturally when they were ready. But the difference for me was that I had staples when I left the hospital and then the steri strips were applied at my first visit when the staples were removed.

My doctor said mine would fall off in a week or so, but they didn't. I had my first post op visit today and the nurse took them off. Feels real nice except they are still a little sticky. They gave me some wipes to take the sticky stuff before I shower. Doc did a good job, straight cuts so they will heal nicely.

I have two left on the JP incision. I is day 9 for me and they have yet to budge. LOL

LOL Vetty! I'm on day 15 and all 6 of them are firmly stuck on there. The edges are peeling a little, but that's about it. Very weird.

SLRteach, hang in there, it'll get better! Those first few days home are a bit overwhelming!

Edited by Sunmaid
fixed a typo

This is my second week, and was told to take them off 14 days after surgery. However, I called today and asked, since I am allergic to the glue, and they said just to peel off carefully and replace with new bandaids. Worked beautifully, just tiny little straight lines. Funny how we all get different instructions! :confused:

I took mine off because they were really itchy. Has anyone else had this problem? I seem to be healing great but I have definate redness where each bandage and sticky were. Is there anything I can put on to relieve itching? My surgery was 06/07/10

I haven't been itching at the incision sites, but the middle of my upper stomach is itchy and sore. I'm guessing from internal bruising, since there isn't any marks on my skin there. Very odd.

Gallery, some folks mentioned patting the itchy spots, or scratching around them but not on them. Not sure if either of those will help or not, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.

They were all in place when I went to my post op appointment. My docter pulled them all off including all of the hair they were stuck to.:eek:

Harry

Well, I just got back from my first follow-up (2.5 weeks later) and all but one were still on there. The nurse said "yeah, she uses a lot of glue" and then ripped them all off.

Sheesh! Wish they told me "keep them on until you're X days post op" rather than "wait till they fall off". I could have removed them after my shower this morning when they were still wet and easier to remove!

I took mine off because they were really itchy. Has anyone else had this problem? I seem to be healing great but I have definate redness where each bandage and sticky were. Is there anything I can put on to relieve itching? My surgery was 06/07/10

[

I did take mine off this morning. I called my Bariatric Center, b/c I have red circle surrounding each incision and they ITCH. The nurse said take them off and wash the areas with Dial soap, use some cortizone cream around each incision, but not on the scab! What a relief! Ahhh! No more itch and the redness is a little lighter.:)

Edited by navywife1999

Was there glue under them? I feel like there is a glob of something under them but they arent ready for me to take off yet to see what it is.

Yes, they are sticky and kind of painful pulling them off. But the incisions were healed so they did take the scab with it, but it was so worth it!