• 1,195 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:246
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:136
  • Surgery Date:06/21/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

I am making a grocery run for the my first two weeks post-op later this week. I am on a semi-liquid diet weeks one and two. All solids must be blended to the consistency of applesauce.

Here are some things on my list so far: protein shakes, crystal light, cranberry juice, sugar-free posicles, low-fat broth, no fruit yogurt, sugar-free pudding, strained soups made with skimmed milk, mashes potatoes with nonfat dry milk, sugar-free coffee mixes for protein shakes

Any other ideas? I'm hoping to benefit from the wisdom of the experienced members. ;)

#2 Psimer

Psimer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Carl Lowe
  • Hospital:Presbyterian
  • Start Weight:340
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:06/18/2010

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

That looks pretty good. Add some apple sauce, the lowest sugar content you can find. I bought a bunch of different Sugar Free syrups from World Market to put in my protein shakes just to add some variety. You might also want to add low fat cottage cheese and put it through your blender. It will be creamy and go down easy.

I still need to get some instant mashed potaotes that taste like something. I am going to add some Fage yogurt to it to make it smooth rather than milk. Anything for some taste and them maybe some garlic. I have four weeks of liquid diet, two before and two after and I am sure I will be dying for anything that doesn't taste like a protein shake.

#3 LisaM

LisaM

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationLongfellow, TX
  • Surgeon:Smith
  • Hospital:Park Plaza, Fort Worth
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:303
  • Current Weight:198
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):36.2
  • Surgery Date:09/26/2005

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

One of the things I'm using more and more is soy milk, the light version, much like skim milk. Use it in decaf hot tea or coffee for a warm, soothing drink for an abused pouch. Adds protein, and a lot of people end up lactose intolerant for a while post-op. I was lactose intolerant before, and ended up being unable to tolerate any milk at all post-op.
LisaH

Now... and then...
Posted Image

#4 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,251 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Cottage cheese - with around 13-14g of protein per 1/2 cup - it really is a great thing to have around. You can even add it to the blender with milk, protein powder if you want - whatever - and buzz it up.

I started out with the fat free stuff at 80 calories/half a cup but went to the 2% purely on taste.

Ricotta cheese (Sargento's ff one is pretty good). 5g protein per 1/4 cup. One of the best things early out was refried beans with some marinara sauce and ricotta cheese - sprinkled with a bit of Parmesan and nuked... yum!

Egg Beaters - lightly scrambled egg goes down well with some people. DH likes the South Western one. 6g protein in 1/4 cup.

And take a look at some of the low fat canned soups like Progresso (Campbell's have a good selection too).

You'll need to pour off a little of the broth to stop it being a slider food but all of the ingredients mush up - I didn't have to puree anything - just mush it up really well with a fork.

Progresso Soup

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#5 mjune

mjune

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Thank you. I'm making my trip on Saturday, so if you think of anything else let me know. I appreciate your help.

#6 ansley

ansley

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Surgeon:GOROSPE
  • Hospital:Muskogee
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:1
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19
  • Surgery Date:03/02/2010

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

different flavors of SF jello was great to me.

#7 mjune

mjune

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Yes. It's actually called a semi-liquid diet, but I'm struggling to find anything on the list that is actually semi.