• Surgeon:Dr. Blair Rowitz
  • Hospital:AnMed
  • Start Weight:382
  • Current Weight:223
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):37.6
  • Surgery Date:03/08/2010

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

I am finding that meat, makes me sick. I end up throwing up EVERY TIME I eat meat. Anyone else had issues with it? One time I threw up because I didn't chew a piece carefully enough, but all the other times I chew chew chewed. Real meat (chicken, hamburger, turkey), processed meats (pressed chicken, lunch meat). I find myself constantly going back to a very soft diet. I can do crackers, cooked and mashed veggies, milk. That is pretty much my diet. My doctor doesn't like crackers, but I buy the Wheat Thins and the Philadelphia Cream Cheese spread (vegetable). I can't eat pasta (which is not a big deal to me and I know I'm not really suppose to anyway). I'm just tired of running out of choices.

Any ideas on why I don't tolerate meat? or pasta?
Kris
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

-Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

#2 Phatlady

Phatlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationNEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT
  • Surgeon:DR. NEIL FLOCH
  • Hospital:NORWALK, CT
  • Start Weight:303
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):50+
  • Surgery Date:10/19/2009

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

You should not be able to eat most meat at this stage.
I am seven months out and I would not even consider it-at least not steak or some such.
You can eat ground beef easily in a chilli or thick soup-soup will aid the ingestion.
Wendy's Chili has a great and tasty and low cal, high protein chili that has always gone down even when I was between my third and fourth stricture dilation.
If you are still dying for "meat" buy thinly sliced deli meat and masticate the hell out of it before swallowing.
My Gastro Dr. told me to stay away from chicken-too stringy and steak I would not even consider.

#3 ansley

ansley

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Surgeon:GOROSPE
  • Hospital:Muskogee
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:1
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19
  • Surgery Date:03/02/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

I wont eat pasta just because of the carbs. I have trouble with dry meat. If I stew the meat in the crockpot it goes down fine. Like tuna I cant eat dry but with some mayo is fine.

#4 dantenh

dantenh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

It's not like I'm trying to chew a Ribeye (Mmmmm). In fact I haven't even attempted steak. And I chew chew chew the heck out of everything. I stopped doing pork after the one attempt because it got stuck. Thankfully I took care of that myself in the local credit unions parking lot. And I appreciate the idea of lunch meats, and I've tried that. In fact, that's one of my doctors recommendation, but that too makes me sick. My doctor recommended that I try meat as I feel comfortable doing so. Well I don't feel comfortable doing so anymore. Even ground meat. And when I refer to chicken, it is crock pot, fall apart, type chicken. I'm following doctors orders regarding my diet.
Kris
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

#5 ansley

ansley

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Surgeon:GOROSPE
  • Hospital:Muskogee
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:1
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19
  • Surgery Date:03/02/2010

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Ribeye does sound good! Oh man! Ive heard wome people on here that cant eat meat a year out. Just give it time.

#6 dantenh

dantenh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

LOL. Ribeye was my favorite. Haven't even really thought of it, though. I generally have no desire for food at all. I get my protein from milk, cheese, and protein shakes. The meat is really no big deal, I'm just experimenting at this point. I went on a trip to Maine with my dad a few weeks ago, and it's not like we could pull into McDonalds and I could get some cooked carrots and potatoes or something. I did my best and didn't really eat like I should have. I bought some canned beef stew and ate the juice and the veggies. I guess I'll just try meat periodically until my body does better with it. But, on the upside, I've lost like 63 pounds. :)
Kris

#7 YvetteRene

YvetteRene

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • Surgeon:Dr. Elmer Valin
  • Hospital:St. Raphael's Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:220
  • Current Weight:160
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:10/12/2009

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

It's not like I'm trying to chew a Ribeye (Mmmmm). In fact I haven't even attempted steak. And I chew chew chew the heck out of everything. I stopped doing pork after the one attempt because it got stuck. Thankfully I took care of that myself in the local credit unions parking lot. And I appreciate the idea of lunch meats, and I've tried that. In fact, that's one of my doctors recommendation, but that too makes me sick. My doctor recommended that I try meat as I feel comfortable doing so. Well I don't feel comfortable doing so anymore. Even ground meat. And when I refer to chicken, it is crock pot, fall apart, type chicken. I'm following doctors orders regarding my diet.

I'm about 7 months out and I still can't eat most meats without something to help it go down. Either mashed potato or mayo, whichever is most appropriate. With some people this gets better, and some don't. Go figure. I have a problem with bread sometimes, but I can eat pasta like it's going out of style. I would just give it time and keep trying. The good thing about eating meats is that you get full on a lot less. Therefore, less calories.

Live in peace and peace will live in you.

Lap RNY: October 12, 2009

I am 5' 3" tall.

Highest/Surgery Day/Current/Goal

234/212/160/140

TT Gym Rat No. 163

#8 fisher1000

fisher1000

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationAmherst, NY
  • Surgeon:Dr. Joseph Caruana (Synergy Bariatrics)
  • Hospital:Sister's of Mercy
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

I'm 2 1/2 years out, and can eat most meats, but still can't eat steak. Sometimes, chicken won't work either, unless it's really moist.

Have you tried crab legs or fish? I did really well with those early out and still do well with them. Both are "less dense" meats, and full of protein, but because of their density, the body actually absorbs more protein from less dense meats.

I can't eat any of the seafood fried, but steamed, broiled, pan-seared, baked--any of those are fine!

What about Eggs or Egg Beaters? I eat Egg Beater omelettes with Feta cheese and sometimes spinach OFTEN! (It's one of my favorite things now...)

The main thing is that you're getting your protein in, which you said you were. Unless you just really want the meat--I wouldn't worry about it!

Good luck!

-Mike
402/262/under 200 (As of 11/05/11)
Highest/Current/Goal
Open RNY - September 24th

140 pounds down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BMI: 63 (was) / 31 (is)

Find me on the web:
My Work Site
Tomorrow is Here: My Gastric Bypass Journey (BOOK)

#9 AirForceW1fe

AirForceW1fe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. David Provost
  • Hospital:Denton Presbyterian
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:285
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.9
  • Surgery Date:07/14/2009

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

I had trouble with meat early on and it was not until I was almost 9 months out that I could eat steak. I could however eat beef jerky the entire time, really weird I know. That being said there are no absolutes. For Dr's to say avoid this or that in terms of meats is silly. What one person can tolerate another one can not. And it may change in time. For others it may never sit well again, Corrine is one those.

Give it time, try again every couple of weeks if it's a meat you really want to eat. In the meantime you can't live on crackers and veggies. You need protein. Try some beans, quinoa is a great option, cheese, maybe even try beef jerky. Maybe you will be like me.
Surgery Date- 7/14/09

Pre / Current / Goal
285 / 136 / 140

"No one said this would be easy, but boy is it worth it!!!"

#10 mccauley

mccauley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Moazzez
  • Hospital:Fair Oaks
  • Start Weight:347
  • Current Weight:215
  • Surgery Date:02/09/2010

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Never ate/liked steak before surgery--loved salmon and chicken: now both suck:(
I can do some chicken salad but basically I left with beans,literally.
First Goal 300 4/9/10(3/30/10) 298 (BMI 53.1)
Second 240 10/2/10(8/31/10)240 (BMI 42.5)
Third 200 2/09/11 1st Surgiversary
Fourth 140 7/04/11 FINISH LINE:)
Done w/CPAP 5/03/10[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,699 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

I'm 2.8 years out and no matter what or how it's prepared, I cannot get meat down. It seems to stick at the bottom of my throat and that's the end of the meal. Eggs are the smae

I have tried and tried - ground - loaded with low fat sauce and the effect is the same.

Fish, lobster, shrimp, shellfish - I can eat that with absolutely no problem.

I'm not going to fret it - there are plenty of other sources of protein.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#12 Thinb450

Thinb450

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Braverman
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:01/25/2010

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

My surgery was in Jan. and I am just now getting to the point where I can eat meat. I could tolerate tuna (w/reduced fat mayo and relish) early out and Taco Bell's refried bean cup. I found that I had to take really small bites and eat very slowly. Up until recently I lived on Reduced fat Wheat Thins and Laughing cow cheese or tuna. It'll get better...hang in there.
Dalene

ONEderland!!!! 4/9/10
Century Club 12/2010

Lap RNY 1/25/2010
Pre-op/Current/Goal
254/150/140

#13 dantenh

dantenh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I've never been able to mentally try seafood. A bad experience with Filet O Fish when I was a kid. But my daughter is a vegetarian and so I'm used to finding other protein sources. In fact I want to begin experimenting with beans and such. I've had some and they go down fine. Thanks for the advice though. I don't think I have anything wrong with me as far as blocks or strictures, I'm just having the hard time with meat. I'm still doing well :)
Kris

#14 dantenh

dantenh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

My surgery was in Jan. and I am just now getting to the point where I can eat meat. I could tolerate tuna (w/reduced fat mayo and relish) early out and Taco Bell's refried bean cup. I found that I had to take really small bites and eat very slowly. Up until recently I lived on Reduced fat Wheat Thins and Laughing cow cheese or tuna. It'll get better...hang in there.

Low fat Wheat Thins, and the Veggie flavored Cream Cheese is Awesome. I do Salsa too. Fresh salsa, not canned. MMMMMM good.
Kris

#15 coolady2007

coolady2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationWilmington,NC
  • Surgeon:David Miles
  • Hospital:New Hanover
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:402
  • Current Weight:255
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:04/12/2010

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:15 AM

Kris i have the same problem.I can not eat any meat i have tried all kinds but it gets stuck are comes back up.So i have tried to get my protein in other areas.Good Luck hope you feel better soon.:)

#16 Traci.momx2

Traci.momx2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Scott Pennington
  • Hospital:Trinity
  • Start Weight:375
  • Current Weight:200
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):62
  • Surgery Date:04/05/2010

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

I am finding that meat, makes me sick. I end up throwing up EVERY TIME I eat meat. Anyone else had issues with it? One time I threw up because I didn't chew a piece carefully enough, but all the other times I chew chew chewed. Real meat (chicken, hamburger, turkey), processed meats (pressed chicken, lunch meat). I find myself constantly going back to a very soft diet. I can do crackers, cooked and mashed veggies, milk. That is pretty much my diet. My doctor doesn't like crackers, but I buy the Wheat Thins and the Philadelphia Cream Cheese spread (vegetable). I can't eat pasta (which is not a big deal to me and I know I'm not really suppose to anyway). I'm just tired of running out of choices.

Any ideas on why I don't tolerate meat? or pasta?

I'm also throwing up all meats except for canned chicken/tuna... and tilapia (not meat I know). I don't eat any processed meats anymore... I can also eat shrimp - in tiny tiny bites.

Edited by Traci.momx2, 25 May 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Highest Weight - 375
Diet 2 months prior to Surgery - 348
Date of Surgery Weight - 322.5
Day after Surgery - 330.5 (WHAT???)
Current Weight - 248
Goal Weight - size 14 comfortably (5'3" - not sure of the weight)

#17 jkk

jkk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Younan Nowzaradan, M.D., F.A.C.S.
  • Hospital:First Street Hospital (Bellaire, TX)
  • Start Weight:370
  • Current Weight:205
  • Goal Weight:188
  • Surgery Date:10/30/2009

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Stick w/ very moist meats.

When I went to solid after a month or two steak was serious pain. Now I can eat some but order it rare so nice & moist & chew well & tiny bites.

Moist chicken is good & easy (no problems w/ stringy). But lean ground meat often easier than steak. Lunch meat also easier.

Fish always easy & no problems w/ shrimp/crab.

It will get easier to eat meats as time goes on.
Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass

#18 mego5dzgrc

mego5dzgrc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationFresno, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Onopchenko
  • Hospital:Atlanticare
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:288
  • Current Weight:148
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:04/12/2010

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:50 AM

I don't know if I am the exception, but I am a little over a month out and I can eat any meat, even steak. The only thing that has made me feel sick is low fat peanutbutter, but even then I didn't throw up. I haven't thrown up from anything yet.

I did grind up chicken and steak at first in a food processor before I ate it the first few weeks, but now I just chew it really well. Maybe you can try that? See if that helps.
4-12-10 - The day my life changed FOREVER! :P
8/30/10 - ONEderland! Wooo HOOO!
3/7/11 - hit my size 8 jeans goal!
Only 27 more pounds until my goal weight!

#19 dantenh

dantenh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

I appreciate all the ideas. My doctor said to just take it easy and keep trying moist meat every few weeks. I don't do well with heavy foods in general. I do great with cooked veggies, and fresh fruit. My guilty pleasure is mashed taters and rice with ranch dressing mixed in it. :)
Kris

#20 wmac

wmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Start Weight:69
  • Current Weight:104
  • Goal Weight:92

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hey!! I can't meat it makes my sick and im only 13 what can i do my family loves meat but i cant even stand the smell of meat. I hate not being anbole to eat meat, I don;t know waht to do.