slim4three

pouch stretching

18 posts in this topic

O.k., I know this is a dumb question, but I am curious about it. How is it possible to stretch out your pouch? I was under the assumption that if you overate, even by one bite, you would throw up. So....if you're throwing up just one or two bites over what your pouch will tolerate, how is it possible to stretch it out.

And just in case anyone is wondering - no, I am not trying to "test my pouch's limits" or overeating or anything like that. I stick to about 2 ounces of protein and 1/4 cup of veg or fruit at a meal. I'm just really curious about all the people worried about "stretching" and they are not even throwing up. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Also, is eating stew allowed? If everything is chewed well, can we eat it or is it off limits because of liquid with the solid? And if it is off limits, is it because of it becoming a slider food or because we risk stretching the stoma mixing the solid with liquid?

Overeating does not always cause vomiting.

I eat stew. But if it's very liquidy, it is a slider food and so you might get hungry again soon. That doesn't seem to happen to me, though.

Kelly

How would you know if you overate then? I thought that was the idea - if you overate you would throw up? I follow my plan 98% of the time right now. And I don't seem to have any trouble eating any type of meat. However the other day I ate 3 oz of chicken and about 1/4 cup of cucumber salad at one meal. ( I was trying to get my protein in because I didn't do so well earlier in day) I did not feel uncomfortable, just full. Could I have stretched my pouch even though I did not throw up? How would you know if your pouch or stoma was

stretched?:confused:

Geez...now I sound like everybody else wondering if they stretched their pouch.:o Sorry....

I think you can stretch your pouch in the same way you stretched out your stomach before the RNY. The average person's stomach has like a 2 cup capacity but a big person can stretch it out to the size of a football after years of overeating. I would assume the pouch works the same way and although it couldn't get to football size again, the stoma could stretch out so the food just goes right through the pouch and you don't feel full since you don't have that valve at the bottom anymore to keep it in for awhile.

At 10 months out I can eat more than I could when I was at your point not because anything is stretched out but the inflammation and internal incisions are healed. Throwing up could be from something getting stuck, something not sitting right in your pouch, your pouch is being moody and just rejects what you just ate, OR you overate. Otherwise, overeating feels just like it always did, like you ate a beachball, it just takes a lot less than it used to.

I think everyone is different im 21 months post op and i now can tolerate quite a good portion size but at your early stage i could not eat very much at all. I never threw up and even now i never really feel full so im hoping i have not stretched my pouch...................hmmm......................

Noonie X

I know if I overeat because my stomach feels very uncomfortable. I have thrown up from overeating but I don't do that much anymore. And I don't mean to sound like I overeat all the time, because I don't. But I have at times.

You would also know if you are overeating because you know how much you are supposed to eat and you measure your food, right? If not, you should. So I know I am supposed to eat one cup of food and if I'm measuring, I know if I eat more than that. The problem is more likely to occur for me if I don't measure. If I eat in a restaurant, I don't take my measuring cups with me. I try to eyeball it but sometimes I end up eating more than I should.

Kelly

"Otherwise, overeating feels just like it always did, like you ate a beachball, it just takes a lot less than it used to."

Thank you - as obvious as that statement seems, I hadn't thought of it like that. I was thinking overeating/stretching = intense pain, vomiting, rupturing... Seems kinda like common sense now that I see it in front of me. :o

I think you can stretch your pouch in the same way you stretched out your stomach before the RNY. The average person's stomach has like a 2 cup capacity but a big person can stretch it out to the size of a football after years of overeating. I would assume the pouch works the same way and although it couldn't get to football size again, the stoma could stretch out so the food just goes right through the pouch and you don't feel full since you don't have that valve at the bottom anymore to keep it in for awhile.

Actually, the normal stomach can easily hold about one liter, which is slightly more than four cups, and it can stretch to hold up to four quarts, or 16 cups.

Volume of a Human Stomach

Kelly

I do measure my food - most of the time. But sometimes I deviate from my plan in this way: My plan calls for 2 oz of protein and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of either fruit or veg at meal. But sometimes I will have the fruit or veg for a snack and eat just protein at meal. And so I will eat more than 2 oz of protein. ( I thought this was good because I am having trouble getting my protein in and it gave me a chance to increase my protein.) Now I am not so sure.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what amount I should be eating. My nuts plan doesn't call for me to be on solids until end of May. However, my dr. skipped me ahead to solids 2 weeks ago. The amount of food listed for solids is ridiculous. (Bkfst is 2 eggs, 1 slice wheat toast, 1/2 banana) It's a huge amount. When I questioned dr., she said I prob. would not be able to eat that much so just eat till I am full. The amount of food listed for soft foods (which is where I should be according to nut plan) is (Bkfst. 1 egg, 1/4 c oatmeal, 1/4 c fruit). So, I have been eating solid foods while trying to stick close to amounts listed for soft foods. Not sure if this is right or not.

Actually, the normal stomach can easily hold about one liter, which is slightly more than four cups, and it can stretch to hold up to four quarts, or 16 cups.

Volume of a Human Stomach

Kelly

Wondering how much a 1/2 of a medium pizza with a big "side salad" and a large Diet Coke "weighs"?

Mmmm....maybe that's why I was obese? Ya think?

ooohhhh - that sounds good!....

Wondering how much a 1/2 of a medium pizza with a big "side salad" and a large Diet Coke "weighs"?

Mmmm....maybe that's why I was obese? Ya think?

Yeah, well, try half a large pizza and a whole pint of Chunky Monkey ice cream. Seriously.

Kelly

Yeah, well, try half a large pizza and a whole pint of Chunky Monkey ice cream. Seriously.

Kelly

LOL That was just dinner...not the after dinner snacks, desserts, and other crap. Boy has life changed post-op...THANK GOODNESS!!!!!

Sometimes overeating can make your food come up, and you'll get the foamies "foamies are when you have like slimy liquids in your mouth and a bunch of saliva " lol sounds gross!!! but thats how it is :/ overeating can sometimes make you sleepy.. or really uncomfortable in your belly when you stand up.. 

I have researched this topic awhile back, post surgery the average size of the stomach is 2 to 3 ounces. Your stomach can stretch or mature to a maximum of 6 to 9 ounces. A regular stomach holds about 30 ounces. 

Edited by Wusang

26 minutes ago, Wusang said:

I have researched this topic awhile back, post surgery the average size of the stomach is 2 to 3 ounces. Your stomach can stretch or mature to a maximum of 6 to 9 ounces. A regular stomach holds about 30 ounces. 

That's clearly all I can handle right now - 2-3 ounces at 5-6 weeks postop - but I could stand for it to stretch a LITTLE, so I could maybe eat a vegetable now and then....

4 minutes ago, Kio said:

That's clearly all I can handle right now - 2-3 ounces at 5-6 weeks postop - but I could stand for it to stretch a LITTLE, so I could maybe eat a vegetable now and then....

You're still new out of surgery Kio.  Don't push it too much.  I'm 10 years out and I still stick with 2 - 2 1/2 oz of protein (fish or shrimp - I don't eat meat), and some vegetables or salad.

Something that stuck with me during my pre-op programme is being told that "it's not what you eat but how much that matters".

Just now, cinwa said:

You're still new out of surgery Kio.  Don't push it too much.  I'm 10 years out and I still stick with 2 - 2 1/2 oz of protein (fish or shrimp - I don't eat meat), and some vegetables or salad.

Something that stuck with me during my pre-op programme is being told that "it's not what you eat but how much that matters".

That's my plan, no worries!!  Right now I can't even eat 2.5 oz of solid protein - 1.5 is all I can manage, and no room for vegetables at all.  It does make my choices really simple, though!  Eat protein...stop eating!  ;) 

cinwa likes this