• Surgeon:Dr. Moazzez
  • Hospital:Fair Oaks
  • Start Weight:347
  • Current Weight:215
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:02/09/2010

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

this thread is from April...so it just popped up again..lol

Thanks, but I'm aware of the time line:) I haven't really talk to Ansley since June.
First Goal 300 4/9/10(3/30/10) 298 (BMI 53.1)
Second 240 10/2/10(8/31/10)240 (BMI 42.5)
Third 200 2/09/11 1st Surgiversary
Fourth 140 7/04/11 FINISH LINE:)
Done w/CPAP 5/03/10[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#22 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

I used to be so cold hearted about people wanting/needing time off. I thought they were faking/lazy/tired of being at work..etc... My last company was under 50 employees at the time. We were told over and over that we had the right to deny time off for any reason. WRONG! A lady that worked with me had very bad migraines and had to be seen by the doctor frequently. One of the other managers told her that her time off was to much of an inconvenience to the other workers, lectured her, gave her a hard time anytime she needed off..etc... She recorded a conversation, sued the company and WON. The judge basically said whether you have 1 or 1000 employees you can not harrass anyone or not grant them time off for anything medical especially if it is backed up by a doctors note.

That may be, but it is not covered under the FMLA.. which specifically exempts companies with less than 50 employees. Perhaps whatever was said in that conversation is why they lost the lawsuit.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#23 suebry05

suebry05

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kim
  • Hospital:Celebration Health
  • Surgery Date:12/09/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

That may be, but it is not covered under the FMLA.. which specifically exempts companies with less than 50 employees. Perhaps whatever was said in that conversation is why they lost the lawsuit.

ARE ANY OF THESE THINGS HAPPENING TO YOU?

* Are you having a baby or caring for a new baby?
* Are you adopting a child or getting a foster child?
* Are you very sick and unable to work?
* Is your child, spouse or parent very sick?

If you answered "YES" to any of the above questions, you should know about the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. It protects your job when serious illness strikes or when a new child needs to be cared for.

WHAT THE LAW SAYS
The law says that if you:

1. Have worked for the same company for at least 12 months; and
2. Have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year; and
3. Work for a company with at least 50 employees, and there are 50 employees who work within 75 miles of your work site;

Then you are entitled to:

1. Take a total of 12 weeks off work without pay. (your company may provide some pay)
2. Keep any health insurance you already had during the time you are off.
3. Get your old job back, or a job with equal pay, status and benefits, when you return.
Surgery 12/09/08
Plastics 4/21/2011

TT Gym rat club member #141

Susan Campanile Harrison on Facebook!!!

#24 suebry05

suebry05

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kim
  • Hospital:Celebration Health
  • Surgery Date:12/09/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

WHAT THE LAW SAYS
The law says that if you:

1. Have worked for the same company for at least 12 months; and
2. Have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year; and
3. Work for a company with at least 50 employees, and there are 50 employees who work within 75 miles of your work site;

Then you are entitled to:

1. Take a total of 12 weeks off work without pay. (your company may provide some pay)
2. Keep any health insurance you already had during the time you are off.
3. Get your old job back, or a job with equal pay, status and benefits, when you return.
Surgery 12/09/08
Plastics 4/21/2011

TT Gym rat club member #141

Susan Campanile Harrison on Facebook!!!

#25 Karlos

Karlos

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Surgeon:Mr Basil Ammori
  • Hospital:Alexander Cheadle Manchester
  • Start Weight:400
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:196
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:02/07/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:43 AM

Yeah I have been on both sides..employer and employee. I cant imagine denying someone time off for a Dr's appt but I always expected a Dr's note after the fact (for the file) The problem when you hire humans is they get sick, people close to them die, parents/kids get sick...its a 8-5 world and most Dr's visits have to be scheduled between those times. I never treated an employee like a child and really didnt appreciate being micromanged in that way either.

I'm glad I left my job. This last week my son got very very sick. Turns out he has a heart problem. he has to wear a monitor and endure several tests. If I was working at my last job and got any guff for caring for my child it wouldnt have been a pretty sight.

I've been a manager for hundreds of years now and though the employment laws here seem to protect the employee far more than yours in the USA I have always taken a common sense view of people needing time off work.

My company allows you up to 26 weeks sickness absence with full pay after a 52 week time served qualifying period, so as you can imagine that leaves us open to abuse by those who wish to swing the lead.

If someone is genuinely ill they should be protected. I've known friends from other companies drag themselves into work in no fit state at all because they would not get paid, or because their boss would give them grief. Its nuts, it lengthens recovery time and just increases the risk of others being made ill from the host.

I have never asked one of my team to come to work if they are ill, never refused them time off to attend their doctor, and in fact on many occasions I've sent my people (Because I really see them as my people) home because they have come in poorly. I rarely ask for doctors notes either as I trust them, until they let me down that is. They don't do that often for some reason :D

I get lots of pay back for this. I know despite that they will get paid to stay home they will come in if they possibly can, I also know the other guys in my team will step up to the mark if one of them goes crook because we are all in it together at the end of the day. They don't take the mickey.

Whether you are a company owner or just a manager you should treat people with respect and genuine concern, I believe that I have a moral obligation to do so. If you don't then just like Brooks they leave and take their skills and experience elsewhere, often to your competitor. It costs me $30,000 plus to replace a trained technical employee, why in chuff's name would I not want to look after their welfare and make them want to stay with me? Just do the math

That said I won't put up with anyone taking the mickey. If I see a pattern of regular, unplanned, self certified (No doctors note) absence, then they learn very quickly that I will not accept it and they should either shape up or ship out. :D Nine times out of ten a friendly (OK not that friendly LOL :D) chat in my office resolves the issue quickly

I'm sorry to hear about your boy Brooks, I'll catch up with you later
H 400 / Curr 151 / Goal 196 / Lost 249 / New Goal 182

My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today

It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time - Sir Winston Churchill

The commonality between those that think they can and those that think they cant, IS they're both right

Posted Image

#26 Shawna

Shawna

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Start Weight:520
  • Current Weight:518
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):81

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

I work at a bookstore (it's a chain but I won't say which one...)

Man, I can't imagine how nice it will be when I lose all of this weight to work my job. As it stands now, I have to sit down at the register if I'm on my feet for an extended period of time. I almost always take a chair with me when I'm shelving books too. Otherwise, my back will be KILLING me and my knees will start to give out. So that will be a welcome change.

:)