ansley

my job part II

26 posts in this topic

I feel like I am complaining about my job all the time buuutttt I am having yet another issue since surgery. I have a follow up appt on Friday. When I mentioned to my boss I would need part of the day off he sneared "havent you had enough time off" Ok..so I'm thinking he is just being rude and will get over it--NOPE! He is saying between my recovery time and Dr appt's I am breaking the attendance policy. I filled out FMLA paperwork and my Dr's office noted that I would have followup appts. Not sure what to do without going over his head.

Politely point out to him that your follow up appointments are covered by FMLA. If he disagrees, go over his head.

Kelly

I think it depends on the line of work your in. Sometimes going over the boss' head makes a permanant neg in his/her brain about you. Maybe he was having a bad day; you may just try a simple e mail to him; "Just a reminder about my scheduled appointment on date / time. I appreciate you being able to let me handle these as I know how busy it's been and I can assure you, once I have taken care of these follow ups, I will continue to be the reliable employee that you know I am." Corny as it sounds, sometimes you have to apease the boss" FMLA or not. You may also just mention, FMLA by saying that you'll be happy to bring in the doctors note as part of your FMLA. ( and do it) I bring dr notes even when I have the time off to take a sick day, just so they know. I've also got dr offices to write notes that the time/date I had the appt was the only one available, or that they don't do appointment on certain days. My boss would say to me, 'why can't you do this on your day off?' So I would let himknow why. "Been there , done that " Good luck.

thank you! I am so sick of his attitude. And you are right...going over his head would make my life hell. I will probably have to skip the appointment. Plain & simple! at this point its the only way to keep a job.

Is this an important appointment? Is there no way for you to reschedule for a more convenient time/date instead of just skipping it?

Sorry, I just hate to hear people "skipping" stuff. I've been the person hoping someone would cancel so that I could get in for an appointment. If the person just skips they have no way of getting someone else in that spot.

You have to do what you feel is right but, are you going to skip all of your appointments from here on out every time your boss gets snippy? Is there not some sort of compromise that could be reached? "I realize you are concerned about me missing work, but I need to be able to take my appointments. What can we do to make this work for both of us?"

Well said, Kovy! You need to find some sort of compromise.. maybe trying to make the first or last appointments of the day or working it in to your lunch hour or something. The early appointments are critical!

Remind your boss that you are covered under FMLA. IT IS A FEDERAL LAW! I understand that your boss feels like you have missed a lot but you NEED to go to your appts. People should not feel bad to as for time off that is why this Act was created to hlp protectthose who had to be out. Tell him you can let me off or I can file a lawsuit!

I would never skip. I would call and reschedule. Sorry it came out that way. I am going to ask today if i can work through a couple lunches etc.... to make up the time. I know he is frustrated but there isnt anything i can do about it. Actually I think I will call my Dr's office and have them fax over an appt reminder. Something on letterhead might make him think twice about being so difficult.

I would never skip. I would call and reschedule. Sorry it came out that way. I am going to ask today if i can work through a couple lunches etc.... to make up the time. I know he is frustrated but there isnt anything i can do about it. Actually I think I will call my Dr's office and have them fax over an appt reminder. Something on letterhead might make him think twice about being so difficult.

Sounds like a good plan! Good luck!

i got it all cleared up! I told my boss today I would reschedule but I am not missing appointments. I told him I was sorry if he is mad but he needs to put himself in my shoes.

I wil post tomorrow on how my appt went! Thanks to all for the support and words of wisdom!

i got it all cleared up! I told my boss today I would reschedule but I am not missing appointments. I told him I was sorry if he is mad but he needs to put himself in my shoes.

I wil post tomorrow on how my appt went! Thanks to all for the support and words of wisdom!

Good for you, honey! I'm glad you are going to your appointments.

scratch that! I was told at 10:30 that we are short handed and that I needed to reschedule or else. Also i was told to think of others and the company before myself. I'm so angry!

Edited by cinwa
language

scratch that! I was told at 10:30 that we are short handed and that I needed to reschedule or else. Also i was told to think of others and the company before myself. I'm so angry!

"Think of the company"? Does the company think about you before they decide to lay you off because they don't have enough money?

Edited by cinwa
language in quote

"Think of the company"? Does the company think about you before they decide to lay you off because they don't have enough money?

You have no idea how funny this is!!! I left that job 3 weeks ago. Its a long long story. Anyhow...I am so happy right now that I dont have to deal with them. It sucks not having a job but its 10x better than being somewhere that you hate for 9+ hours a day.

Remind your boss that you are covered under FMLA. IT IS A FEDERAL LAW! I understand that your boss feels like you have missed a lot but you NEED to go to your appts. People should not feel bad to as for time off that is why this Act was created to hlp protectthose who had to be out. Tell him you can let me off or I can file a lawsuit!

Well here I go... as the boss/ owner of several businesses....

his side is he has a business to run...

Im not sure what you do for a living but is it possible to switch your day off with someone else?or maybe go in on a Saturday and get whatever it is done?

And secondly do you have sick pay or vacation time left? and how much time have you taken this year so far for EVERYTHING?

And lastly those who seem to think to say it FMLA and mandatory for him to give her time off - he will give her the time but be replacing her... you get 6- 12 weeks- that doesn't mean a day here a day there... and can you try and get an appointment say if you work till 5 can you get the last appointment available sometimes 4?? Try and understand as much as you need your job he needs his business to be profitable to pay you so yoiu do have a job.

I see a lot of this on here- pretty much threaten the boss or go over there head comments...as for me there is no over my head and I always grant time off- I have only denied someone 2 times EVER (other people were off and there was no way to make it work) but I tell you Ill only put up with the same person needing this and that for so long...its not your bosses fault we were fat and FINALLY did something about it....sooo to everyone that posts things like that....think before you react- it will get you nowhere with bitter hostile words except unemployment

which would mean for most no insurance and then struggling to pay the medical and household bills....

just .02

your work DOES NOT OWE YOU TIME OFF

Yeah I have been on both sides..employer and employee. I cant imagine denying someone time off for a Dr's appt but I always expected a Dr's note after the fact (for the file) The problem when you hire humans is they get sick, people close to them die, parents/kids get sick...its a 8-5 world and most Dr's visits have to be scheduled between those times. I never treated an employee like a child and really didnt appreciate being micromanged in that way either.

I'm glad I left my job. This last week my son got very very sick. Turns out he has a heart problem. he has to wear a monitor and endure several tests. If I was working at my last job and got any guff for caring for my child it wouldnt have been a pretty sight.

And just a reminder.. not everyone is covered under the FMLA. Only companies with more than 50 employees for instance. I was working for a company with only 9 employees so FMLA wouldn't have helped me at all. Those companies CAN choose to allow it, but are not mandated.

And just a reminder.. not everyone is covered under the FMLA. Only companies with more than 50 employees for instance. I was working for a company with only 9 employees so FMLA wouldn't have helped me at all. Those companies CAN choose to allow it, but are not mandated.

I used to be so cold hearted about people wanting/needing time off. I thought they were faking/lazy/tired of being at work..etc... My last company was under 50 employees at the time. We were told over and over that we had the right to deny time off for any reason. WRONG! A lady that worked with me had very bad migraines and had to be seen by the doctor frequently. One of the other managers told her that her time off was to much of an inconvenience to the other workers, lectured her, gave her a hard time anytime she needed off..etc... She recorded a conversation, sued the company and WON. The judge basically said whether you have 1 or 1000 employees you can not harrass anyone or not grant them time off for anything medical especially if it is backed up by a doctors note.

You have no idea how funny this is!!! I left that job 3 weeks ago. Its a long long story. Anyhow...I am so happy right now that I dont have to deal with them. It sucks not having a job but its 10x better than being somewhere that you hate for 9+ hours a day.

Hey,Doll:

Seem as I have missed a lot....Bum and Congrats about the job. Otherwise, I hope things are going well with Ryan and the boys.

Hey,Doll:

Seem as I have missed a lot....Bum and Congrats about the job. Otherwise, I hope things are going well with Ryan and the boys.

this thread is from April...so it just popped up again..lol

this thread is from April...so it just popped up again..lol

Thanks, but I'm aware of the time line:) I haven't really talk to Ansley since June.

I used to be so cold hearted about people wanting/needing time off. I thought they were faking/lazy/tired of being at work..etc... My last company was under 50 employees at the time. We were told over and over that we had the right to deny time off for any reason. WRONG! A lady that worked with me had very bad migraines and had to be seen by the doctor frequently. One of the other managers told her that her time off was to much of an inconvenience to the other workers, lectured her, gave her a hard time anytime she needed off..etc... She recorded a conversation, sued the company and WON. The judge basically said whether you have 1 or 1000 employees you can not harrass anyone or not grant them time off for anything medical especially if it is backed up by a doctors note.

That may be, but it is not covered under the FMLA.. which specifically exempts companies with less than 50 employees. Perhaps whatever was said in that conversation is why they lost the lawsuit.

That may be, but it is not covered under the FMLA.. which specifically exempts companies with less than 50 employees. Perhaps whatever was said in that conversation is why they lost the lawsuit.

ARE ANY OF THESE THINGS HAPPENING TO YOU?

* Are you having a baby or caring for a new baby?

* Are you adopting a child or getting a foster child?

* Are you very sick and unable to work?

* Is your child, spouse or parent very sick?

If you answered "YES" to any of the above questions, you should know about the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. It protects your job when serious illness strikes or when a new child needs to be cared for.

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

The law says that if you:

1. Have worked for the same company for at least 12 months; and

2. Have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year; and

3. Work for a company with at least 50 employees, and there are 50 employees who work within 75 miles of your work site;

Then you are entitled to:

1. Take a total of 12 weeks off work without pay. (your company may provide some pay)

2. Keep any health insurance you already had during the time you are off.

3. Get your old job back, or a job with equal pay, status and benefits, when you return.

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

The law says that if you:

1. Have worked for the same company for at least 12 months; and

2. Have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year; and

3. Work for a company with at least 50 employees, and there are 50 employees who work within 75 miles of your work site;

Then you are entitled to:

1. Take a total of 12 weeks off work without pay. (your company may provide some pay)

2. Keep any health insurance you already had during the time you are off.

3. Get your old job back, or a job with equal pay, status and benefits, when you return.

Yeah I have been on both sides..employer and employee. I cant imagine denying someone time off for a Dr's appt but I always expected a Dr's note after the fact (for the file) The problem when you hire humans is they get sick, people close to them die, parents/kids get sick...its a 8-5 world and most Dr's visits have to be scheduled between those times. I never treated an employee like a child and really didnt appreciate being micromanged in that way either.

I'm glad I left my job. This last week my son got very very sick. Turns out he has a heart problem. he has to wear a monitor and endure several tests. If I was working at my last job and got any guff for caring for my child it wouldnt have been a pretty sight.

I've been a manager for hundreds of years now and though the employment laws here seem to protect the employee far more than yours in the USA I have always taken a common sense view of people needing time off work.

My company allows you up to 26 weeks sickness absence with full pay after a 52 week time served qualifying period, so as you can imagine that leaves us open to abuse by those who wish to swing the lead.

If someone is genuinely ill they should be protected. I've known friends from other companies drag themselves into work in no fit state at all because they would not get paid, or because their boss would give them grief. Its nuts, it lengthens recovery time and just increases the risk of others being made ill from the host.

I have never asked one of my team to come to work if they are ill, never refused them time off to attend their doctor, and in fact on many occasions I've sent my people (Because I really see them as my people) home because they have come in poorly. I rarely ask for doctors notes either as I trust them, until they let me down that is. They don't do that often for some reason :D

I get lots of pay back for this. I know despite that they will get paid to stay home they will come in if they possibly can, I also know the other guys in my team will step up to the mark if one of them goes crook because we are all in it together at the end of the day. They don't take the mickey.

Whether you are a company owner or just a manager you should treat people with respect and genuine concern, I believe that I have a moral obligation to do so. If you don't then just like Brooks they leave and take their skills and experience elsewhere, often to your competitor. It costs me $30,000 plus to replace a trained technical employee, why in chuff's name would I not want to look after their welfare and make them want to stay with me? Just do the math

That said I won't put up with anyone taking the mickey. If I see a pattern of regular, unplanned, self certified (No doctors note) absence, then they learn very quickly that I will not accept it and they should either shape up or ship out. :D Nine times out of ten a friendly (OK not that friendly LOL :D) chat in my office resolves the issue quickly

I'm sorry to hear about your boy Brooks, I'll catch up with you later