10 replies to this topic

#1 floater11

floater11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hi guys,

Had my surgery March 24th. It went rediculously well until 3 days post op when gout flared up. Now I had suffered from gout occasionally before surgery...maybe one attack every 18 months or so... and a couple of indomethecin beat it back into submission every time. Obviously now that drug is out. I've been put on allopurenal but that takes 2 weeks to build up in the system. Still on liquids so I am pretty limited as to what I can do here.

I've seen some writing on cherry juice but don't know of there is too much sugar in that for me at this stage of recovery. My nurse said the trauma of surgery can bring it on but does anyone else know what causes the flare up? Has this happened to any of you? How did you deal? It's extremely frustrating because if it wasn't for this I'd feel like a million bucks and until I get this under control I can't exercise.

Any help/advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Msliberty

Msliberty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Steven Fath
  • Hospital:Innova Hospital
  • Start Weight:298
  • Current Weight:191
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):43
  • Surgery Date:03/02/2010

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I don't know anything about Gout, but I wanted to welcome you to TT! Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this! Good Luck!
Nathalie :rolleyes:

You only live once, so live your life to the fullest!!! ;)

#3 watfam4

watfam4

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Liem
  • Hospital:J.F.K. Medical Center
  • Start Weight:470
  • Current Weight:225
  • Goal Weight:225
  • Surgery Date:06/08/2005

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:25 AM

Uric acid buildup is what causes gout. There are two major contributors to this post-op. The first one is dehydration and the other is from burning fat. It is hard not to get a little dehydrated after WLS. When your organs are still healing from the trauma, you are not absorbing much nutrients. Your body goes into fasting mode, which is what causes you to dehydrate. On top of that, a by-product of burning off your fat stores is extra uric acid. Your best bet is to drink copious amounts of fluids to keep the uric acid levels in your system flushed out and diluted.

I have not tried cherry juice, but most post-ops can handle fruit juice. I took Colchicine for occasional flare-ups, but this is pretty tough on your system (can cause diarrhea). In my case the Colchicine would clear up the gout in less than 24 hours.

Also, FYI, high uric acid levels in your system can cause kidney stones.

Anyway, drink, drink, drink, drink, and then drink some more. Of course water is best, but if your not a big water drinker (I'm not) find something that you like and always have a glass handy to sip on.

HTH
Jim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 TxHunni

TxHunni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nick Nicholson
  • Hospital:Baylor Hospital - Plano, TX
  • Start Weight:226
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2009

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

Funny that this topic should be here today, because I was just going to come and ask about this. I don't know if what I'm experiencing is gout, but it sure fits the symptoms.

As I read about it...it mentioned that uric acid can be put off from meat. Could our high intake of protein compound the problem and cause high levels of uric acid, thus bringing on the gout?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 watfam4

watfam4

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:01 AM

As I read about it...it mentioned that uric acid can be put off from meat. Could our high intake of protein compound the problem and cause high levels of uric acid, thus bringing on the gout?

Yes and no.

Having extra amino acids (from protein) in your system can contribute to the problem as I understand it. However, I doubt that we (post-op) could cause this from eating meat, as our ability to break it down is now limited. Protein shakes on the other hand provide amino acids in a form that is easily absorbed and could be a problem if you are overdoing it (IMO).
Jim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 TxHunni

TxHunni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nick Nicholson
  • Hospital:Baylor Hospital - Plano, TX
  • Start Weight:226
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2009

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:37 AM

Yes and no.

Having extra amino acids (from protein) in your system can contribute to the problem as I understand it. However, I doubt that we (post-op) could cause this from eating meat, as our ability to break it down is now limited. Protein shakes on the other hand provide amino acids in a form that is easily absorbed and could be a problem if you are overdoing it (IMO).

Ohhhh I've just been LOOKING for a reason to cut back on the protein shakes LOL (yes, I'll be careful)

Thanks for your help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 watfam4

watfam4

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:06 AM

Ohhhh I've just been LOOKING for a reason to cut back on the protein shakes LOL (yes, I'll be careful)

Thanks for your help.

FWIW, I have had issues with my uric acid levels and was on Allopurinol for a while to try to keep it in check. My Urologist had me go off of protein shakes completely, so basically I eat meat/eggs at every meal (also a lot of nuts and greek yogurt in between meals).
Jim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Rebecca_K

Rebecca_K

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Surgery Date:12/22/2009

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

A few weeks after surgery, one of my big toes was hurting a lot, and it scared me. I researched the symptoms, figured out they were gout-like, and realized I was probably dehydrated.

I don't know if it's exactly the same thing, but every so often my legs start to tingle, and I know it means I don't have enough water in me. Drinking even just a couple of ounces helps immediately.
Rebecca
Highest - Surgery - Current
- Goal
347 - 305 - 225 - 199

#9 watfam4

watfam4

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

A few weeks after surgery, one of my big toes was hurting a lot, and it scared me. I researched the symptoms, figured out they were gout-like, and realized I was probably dehydrated.

Yes it is very common for gout to present in the big toe joint. Mine flared up in my ankle, and felt like I twisted it.
Jim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 lwilson21

lwilson21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Harris
  • Hospital:New Hanover
  • Start Weight:345
  • Current Weight:178
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:01/05/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

I have had gout twice since surgery--never had it before. My PCP told me that I am not getting in enough fluids so my goal now is 120 oz. daily. To be honest, I was not getting in 80 oz. when I developed gout. In my reading, I've come across deyhdration and rapid weight loss as contributors to gout.

It is so freakin painful and I feel for you. I'm on Allopurinol also now but I'm wondering if my PCP should increase the dosage due to malabsorption. My 2nd gout episode occured while I was already on the Allopurinol.
LAP RNY JAN. 5, 2010

Highest 345
Start 330
surgery 292
current 180

Leah

#11 floater11

floater11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. Allopurenol is working but it was sure nice to know the causes. I'll be drinking (water) more than ever now to help out.

Gout does suck but it is a small price to pay for losing 40 pounds in 5 weeks!