• 421 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lavin
  • Start Weight:277
  • Current Weight:137
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:03/24/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

So, I had blood work earlier this week b/c my Dr was afraid I contracted a bacteria from the hospital called C diff. Today I get the phone call that indeed, I did and now I have to go on a powerful antibiotic 3 times a day for 10 days. I was told it will probably make me sick so to be prepared! Great! Has anyone else dealt with this??

#2 Soon2bethinMarinewife

Soon2bethinMarinewife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48.3
  • Surgery Date:04/19/2010

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Wow. Take care of yourself and make sure you follow instrux to the "T". C-Diff is as bad if not worse than MRSA. Had my own battle with it last year and was educated quickly. Lots of healing thoughts coming your way.
Debbie

September 2009 - Started 6 month program
January 2010 - Met with surgeon
February 2010 - Completed 6 month program YEAH!!
March 2nd 2010 - Surgeon's office to submit paperwork for insurance approval
March 15th 2010 - APPROVED!!
April 19th 2010 - Gastric Bypass Surgery!! SUPER YEAH!!

Start weight: 290 lbs.
One month out: 257 lbs.
Five weeks out: 254 lbs.

290/254/150
Start/Current/Goal

#3 SkinnyKari10

SkinnyKari10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Brenda Cacucci
  • Hospital:St. Vincent Bariatric Center of Excellence
  • Start Weight:250
  • Current Weight:120
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.6
  • Surgery Date:03/01/2010

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

What is C-diff exactly? I'm sorry you're going through that!!

#4 Karlos

Karlos

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Surgeon:Mr Basil Ammori
  • Hospital:Alexander Cheadle Manchester
  • Start Weight:400
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:196
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:02/07/2009

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

C diff is short for Clostridium difficile. Its a spore forming bacterium that is present naturally in the gut of around two thirds of children and 3% of adults. Spore forming bacteria can survive outside of the body and are even resistant to some of the disinfectants used to keep areas sanitised. Hence personal hygiene is very important especially in health care establishments if the spread of the bacteria is to be controlled

C. diff does not cause any problems in healthy people. However, some of the antibiotics that are used to treat other infections can interfere with the balance of 'good' bacteria in the gut. When this happens, C. diff bacteria can multiply and produce the toxins or poisons, which cause illness such as diarrhoea and fever by damaging the cells that line our bowels. Not every strain of the bacteria causes infection though.

As you guys know its the waste products from the bacteria that are toxic or poisonous to us rather than the actual bacteria. So when C. Diff multiply to whats known as Pathogenic levels, the amount of toxin produced is sufficient to cause us to be unwell.

As C. diff infections are usually caused by antibiotics, most cases happen in hospitals. Most people with a C. diff infection make a full recovery. However, in rare cases, the infection can be serious

Hope you recover real soon
H 400 / Curr 151 / Goal 196 / Lost 249 / New Goal 182

My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today

It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time - Sir Winston Churchill

The commonality between those that think they can and those that think they cant, IS they're both right

Posted Image

#5 Soon2bethinMarinewife

Soon2bethinMarinewife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48.3
  • Surgery Date:04/19/2010

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:05 AM

Good information Karlos!! Mine was caused by two different doctors and one dentist giving me three different antibiotics at the same time. I told each of them what else I was taking and asked if it would be okay to take the others and they said I'd be fine. Ya right!! I wish it on no one because I was pretty sick and ended up in the ER twice. Finally Flagyl was given and within two weeks, back to normal. That is Naval Medicine for you. I wish Kylieh well and that she keeps in good spirits!!
Debbie

September 2009 - Started 6 month program
January 2010 - Met with surgeon
February 2010 - Completed 6 month program YEAH!!
March 2nd 2010 - Surgeon's office to submit paperwork for insurance approval
March 15th 2010 - APPROVED!!
April 19th 2010 - Gastric Bypass Surgery!! SUPER YEAH!!

Start weight: 290 lbs.
One month out: 257 lbs.
Five weeks out: 254 lbs.

290/254/150
Start/Current/Goal

#6 Karlos

Karlos

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:19 AM

Good information Karlos!! Mine was caused by two different doctors and one dentist giving me three different antibiotics at the same time. I told each of them what else I was taking and asked if it would be okay to take the others and they said I'd be fine. Ya right!! I wish it on no one because I was pretty sick and ended up in the ER twice. Finally Flagyl was given and within two weeks, back to normal. That is Naval Medicine for you. I wish Kylieh well and that she keeps in good spirits!!

Yeh antibiotics are often the cause of C.Diff reaching pathogenic numbers in the gut. Once a patient has developed the infection, then cross contamination of the spore forming bacteria through personal contact points spreads the infection to others.

My company makes a shed load of its turnover from dealing with C. Diff and MSRA bacteria in hospitals etc.

My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today

It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time - Sir Winston Churchill

The commonality between those that think they can and those that think they cant, IS they're both right

Posted Image

#7 BeLove

BeLove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Scott Fisher
  • Hospital:PENROSE
  • Start Weight:411
  • Current Weight:283
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44.4
  • Surgery Date:02/02/2010

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

So, I had blood work earlier this week b/c my Dr was afraid I contracted a bacteria from the hospital called C diff. Today I get the phone call that indeed, I did and now I have to go on a powerful antibiotic 3 times a day for 10 days. I was told it will probably make me sick so to be prepared! Great! Has anyone else dealt with this??

I had it two weeks after my surgery. I was so sick that I landed my butt back in the hospital for 5 more days. I have cramping, my poop was only bloody mucus until I started getting better. It was horrible, way worse then anything I had been through before. :( Sounds like they caught yours early though!!

Tracie
The BEST two reasons I have to get healthy!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
02 02 2010!
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a super power.
Start/DOS/Current/Goal
411/407/283/Feeling GREAT!

#8 kylieh51

kylieh51

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Karlos for the great info. The funny thing is...I feel fine! Im not sick, my symptoms have calmed down and I feel great. I have to start taking Flagyl today and I am freaking out about it. I have to take it 3 times a day and my doc is scared it will make me sick b/c I cant eat anything, so I am taking it on an empty stomach. I am gonna take it with yogurt, so maybe that will help. Here's to a good weekend:D

#9 Karlos

Karlos

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

Here's to a good weekend:D

Yep let's hope it doesn't cause you any further problems honey, and that you have a good weekend x

Posted Image

#10 kylieh51

kylieh51

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Karlos, I totally intend to have a great weekend! I hope you do as well!:D

#11 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

Watch out for side effects...I had to stop the Flagyl after three days and get Vanco instead....Vanco is $100 a pilll!
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#12 Oakmont

Oakmont

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Daniel Gagne
  • Hospital:West Penn
  • Start Weight:295
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.1
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2009

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

I guess I'm resurrecting this thread since it appears dormant since 4/10. I'm almost 2 yrs post-op and somehow picked up some sort of gastric infection. I'm now into 10 days of diarrhea, just finished a 7 day course of Flagyl, and visited my primary care physician for his input. My bariactric surgeon prescribed flagyl over the phone when they heard I lost 10lbs in 3 days. Until this episode my weight never fluctuated above or below 165lbs (i'm 5'11" ) for a year and a half. Now I'm down 10 lbs and my PC says it sounds like it might be Clostridium Difficile and that my stool sample today, is probably not going to be optimal, as it is still being influenced by the Flagyl I finished the night before. So, he advised me to collect 3 new stool samples, one for each subsequent day allowing the Flagyl to get out of my system so he could get a better idea of what I really might have.

In the mean time, he advised me to start consuming high calorie foods including chocolate (i dont dump), french fries, most fast foods etc. as much as i can tolerate to start packing weight back on. I find this SOOO hard, as I have programmed myself in the last 2 years, to honor my tool and never become obese again. But 155-158 is very thin for my height and build and I'm looking like tom hanks in the movie philadelphia (towards the end).

the reason I post this is, has anyone recently had an issue with longer term diarrhea resulting in a loss of weight way beyond your norm? and if so, what did you eat during whatever therapy you were taking, to help you regain the weight? I bought a big piece of chocolate salted cashew bark from Godiva, but it's sooo sweet, as I don't really eat that many sweets other than jelly beans on occasion. I'm guessing I need to increase my FREQUENCY of higher fat / calorie meals, versus trying to consume just fattier foods across 3 meals.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I asked my PC "how about me just drinking milkshakes" and he had some reason (which escapes me at the moment) that I should avoid milk products at the time being...

Eric

Edited by Oakmont, 08 September 2011 - 07:11 PM.

Eric in Pittsburgh, PA

#13 HarperLee

HarperLee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Thomas Magnuson
  • Hospital:Johns Hopkins Bayview
  • Surgery Date:12/17/2010

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:42 AM

Just finished up a nasty bout of C-Diff. Post hernia repair and wound excision surgery. Flagyl gave me no issues except a funky taste in my mouth. Feel much better now but in a "sick" way I miss losing weight as quick as I did with the C-Diff. I am a strong believe in the product Danactive. I drink one a day every day and during the C-Diff episode the doctor & surgeon had me do 2 a day. It helps replace the "good" gut bugs that the meds wipe out. Good luck and take your pills.
Insurance Approval: 10/08/10
Surgery Date: December 17, 2010
Weight on day of Surgery: 297.4
Weight on 02/16/11: 246.7
Weight on 04/27/11: 227.4
Weight on 12/21/11: 182.0
Highest Weight: 303

#14 Oakmont

Oakmont

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Daniel Gagne
  • Hospital:West Penn
  • Start Weight:295
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.1
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2009

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

I added 2 separate probiotics to my diet; that had remarkable results. One was a yeast, and the other had 14 "good" bacteria strains. The bacteria version seemed to start working in 4-6 hours.

now I need to add about 10lbs back to my frame, and tone up what muscles I have. My primary care doctor prescribed fast food. Luckily I don't dump, so milkshakes with a double quarter pounder and large fries over the course of an hour is packing a lot of calories in for me... drinking in between meals is defeating my pouch on purpose just to get me back to a healthy weight. 155 and 5'11 is too thin... never thought I have this problem..
Eric in Pittsburgh, PA