Dawn N

Best way to make shakes?

24 posts in this topic

I am scheduled for surgery in two weeks but have been taking vitamins and drinking protein shakes for a month now to prepare myself for post surgery. I am wonder if it is better (nutritionally) to make the shakes with water and ice or with lowfat milk? I know that milk contains sugar and the Unjury powder I am using has 2 grams per scoop. If I am trying to get 64oz of water in every day is it better to use water and ice?

You asked a great question regarding the preparation of protein shakes. The answer really depends on your nutritional goal.

If your goal is to achieve 64 fluid ounces of water a day as you mentioned, then making the shakes with water is a great way to help achieve this goal.

If you are looking to increase your daily protein intake, then making the shakes with skim milk would be beneficial. An 8 ounce glass of skim milk has about 9 grams of protein, 12 grams of sugar and 90 calories.

As you noted, milk contains the sugar lactose. Some protein powders are based on milk products and thus contain lactose. Some patients become lactose intolerant after gastric bypass and develop gas, bloating or diarrhea when drinking milk products. To help prevent these symptoms, you can take a pill such as Lactaid which contains the lactase enzyme to break down the lactose.

Evenangelsfall likes this

-giggle snort-!!!!

What is: A blender?

If your looking to up your protein go with the milk and then add the powdered milk to it. when it comes to staying hydrated for the first few days, in most cases it won't matter if your using water or milk. From my own experience I became lactose intolerant the further out I became.

best smoothie:

protein powder of your choice

light and fit yogurt of your choice

frozen berries of your choice

splash of milk

and you can add powered milk to this mix if you wish

cheers'

Kimber~

SeoulFulNicole, JulieZ and Deni like this

I prefer to make them with water, mainly because I am lactose intolerant now. Also, I don't like the thickness it has with milk. I make mine with water, then stick it in the freezer for an hour or so...it makes it slushy...kind of like a milkshake. I could just blend it with ice, but I hate cleaning it up! I'm lazy like that!:D

Another thing to be mindful off - post op you may become lactose intollerant and may want to change to water/soymilk post op for that reason. The extra protein in milk makes up for the sugars and if you are not intollerant now, maybe one shake with milk one with water (if you do 2 shakes/day). I change it up, but really enjoy the milk shakes best - creamier and, surprisingly, I was lactost intollerant pre-surgery but not now!!! Gotta love that. :)

I can do mine without milk added. I just use the powder I have (not the same as you have) and add some DaVinci flavor, a few cubes of ice, and some water and I have something really good.

It just depends on what you want.

I mix mine with lite soy milk - less calories and carbs but a good load of protein with it. Now my protein shakes are 31g per 7 ounces.

I can tell you, post-op, there is NO WAY I can get in 64oz of water in right now. I'm 8 days out. I take in my 8oz of protein shake and 8oz of crystal lite. Any more than that and I think I'd end up throwing up. You build up the ability to take in more and more and it's a gradual thing. I pee plenty a day and i'm almost never thirsty - maybe first thing in the morning. I don't think my post-op pouch could hold 64oz of fluid a day. If it did, I'd have to stop eating all together.

My surgeon had me drink lactaid instead of milk for a month after surgery because of the lactose intolerance issues. I have a protein shake most mornings made with 12 oz of either 2% or skim milk. I like the protein shake better with milk - creamier taste.

I know it adds a little in the way of calories/sugar, but I figure if I am going to drink it everyday, I need to enjoy it a little bit. Protein shakes with water usually taste yuck to me.

JulieZ and Nomorepuddings like this

I am very new to this site and only had my bypass 24 days ago. I have had a few issues with my bypass but eating anything but soup or yoghurt gets stuck and is very pain full going down, my question is: if I am unable to eat protein should I get a protein shake until I am able to eat enough. I do drink milk but are not losing weight.

I am I'm the uk and feel as if I'm not getting the support I need...

Thankyou.

Paula

WATER - most of these products are designed to be used with water and additionally a lot of people end up lactose intolerant after surgery. Even if you don't, there is a chance milk can make you dump.

I am 22 days post op and I was given shakes at the hospital (I had to stay 8 days due to an infected incision) and they were made with skim milk so I have kept this up at home. I don't seem to be lactose intolerant, and I find that the protein in the milk helps boost my intake. I have to have 80 grams of protein a day to help with the infection... It's exhausting getting all that protein in plus 64 oz of fluid. It's a good thing I am home for a few weeks! I am trying to eat some soft foods now too, but the shakes at 36 grams each necessary for at least one meal a day.

Good Luck, and hang in there- it sounds like you are well prepared.

I use zero carb isopure protein vanilla and chocolate. I mix the vanilla with orange crystal lite and splenda. I put this in the blender on low for a couple of minutes so that all of the protein powder is dissolved. My blender will turn ice into snow and I sometimes mix this with my drink. I can't stand the chocolate (which was my favorite prior to surgery)

I am getting 100 grams of protein each day and at the same time get my water requirements. I am still unable to eat anything solid and I am still on mushy foods.

We like the Ninja blender from Costco, plus I had a "bullet" knock-off blender that does one glass at a time ... I left the extra I could not drink in the cup in the fridge. I'd add ice to make it a smoothie. Hard to get the protein, but I'd take Amway's Nutrilite Whey protein powder - chocolate or vanilla - with it. 25 g of protein, no added sugar. Vons light yogurt is one of my favs - vanilla or lemon plus weight watchers when it is on sale. It was hard for me to always sip sip sip my water ... I like crystal light mix the best - especially lemon-lime or just lemon (like the citrus flavors.) As I mentioned, I choked the isopure while I needed the clear liquids. After the first bm, I had some broccoli soup, though I overdid it because I was so excited to have something with taste and texture. You learn quick. LOL. But it was so much fun to lose fast and feel great anyways. Eyes are still bigger than stomach. It is just a tool, but exciting at the same time. I was intense and lost 100 lbs in 7 months (not typical!) then plateaued for about 4 months, now still losing slow but trimming well and getting muscle mass as I work out consistently. Looking at inches is more consistent for me than just lbs on the scale, because muscle weighs more in smaller packages and clothes fit so much nicer, though I miss my ultra-comfie large stuff, but wife won't let me wear them in public. LOL. Found I'm a big advocate in favor of GB as most of the public does not understand (been there done that same mindset in the past) though I mainly lurk around here.

I am still only 4 days post-op and doing the stage 2 diet. But, I found a great shake making bottle called the Blender Bottle. It comes with a little wisk ball that goes in the bottle and it make the Bariactric Advantage shakes that I am drinking much smoother and thinner. It made my drinking of these shakes better today when I tried it for the first time today. I was getting very tired of how thick the shakes were. I even tried my Magic Bullet and that was much better as well, but my NUT doesn't want me to use a blender until I get to stage 3 (she is worried about the blender adding air and causing gas).

Thanks.

David

I am still only 4 days post-op and doing the stage 2 diet. But, I found a great shake making bottle called the Blender Bottle. It comes with a little wisk ball that goes in the bottle and it make the Bariactric Advantage shakes that I am drinking much smoother and thinner. It made my drinking of these shakes better today when I tried it for the first time today. I was getting very tired of how thick the shakes

were. I even tried my Magic Bullet and that was much better as well, but my NUT doesn't want me to use a blender until I get to stage 3 (she is worried about the blender adding air and causing gas).

Thanks.

David

Interesting! My son broke my blender two weeks ago. Surgery is tomorrow. I spoon stir my protein.

I am very new to this site and only had my bypass 24 days ago. I have had a few issues with my bypass but eating anything but soup or yoghurt gets stuck and is very pain full going down, my question is: if I am unable to eat protein should I get a protein shake until I am able to eat enough. I do drink milk but are not losing weight.

I am I'm the uk and feel as if I'm not getting the support I need...

Thankyou.

Hi Paula

I am in the uk also and I had my op on 10th May. I would say ring your bariactric coordinator and ask them what is going on, if you have already done that and you are not getting support then I would speak to one of the bariactric hospitals one in Taunton and there is another one in Chichester. I am at the moment only having coffee and liquid soup as I am still very bloated and gassy.

I have been using Lactaid Skim milk with calcium. I like the taste better with milk. My protein number are with in the normal limits but low. So, Dr. wants me to add more protein and the milk in the shakes are a good way to do this. My Nut also stated that the shake counted toward my 64 ounces of liquid a day. I was lactaid intolerant prior to surgery so am very careful with milk products. I like my shakes thick so I add unsweetened frozen fruit and ice to them to help with the volume of liquids.

Hi Paula

I am in the uk also and I had my op on 10th May. I would say ring your bariactric coordinator and ask them what is going on, if you have already done that and you are not getting support then I would speak to one of the bariactric hospitals one in Taunton and there is another one in Chichester. I am at the moment only having coffee and liquid soup as I am still very bloated and gassy.

This is an older thread Trish and Paula hasn't been back in almost a year. Hopefully, she's doing well and enjoying life.

I found a "personal sized" blender from Hamilton Beach at K-Mart for $17.00. Perfect for making shakes. one piece cup, the blade part stays in the cup all the time and you can drink right out of the cup. Very easy cleaning, and you can store unused shake in the cup in the refrigerator. Does a great job of chopping up the ice too.

Top tip. If you can tolerate skimmed milk and your doing a lot of exercise, I recommend the following as a post workout protein shake (within 30 minutes)

200ml skimmed milk

1 x A-Z vitamin tablet

1/2 frozen banana

1 scoop of protein powder (30g protein)

Blend it in a jug and enjoy. The frozen banana makes the shake thicken like a smoothy.

Full of your daily vitamins, protein, potassium.

I make my shakes with Earth Balance original soy milk, Bariatric Advantage vanilla powder, and a few squirts of one of my Torani sugar free flavored syrups. No water, no ice, no yogurt, etc... at least not yet! :)

I know this is an old thread,I'm also not allowed to use a blender for 3 more weeks because of the air it will add to your pouch. What I've done is mix the protien powder with 2-3 oz. liquid, blended it then stired in the rest of the liquid.

I know this is an old thread,I'm also not allowed to use a blender for 3 more weeks because of the air it will add to your pouch. What I've done is mix the protien powder with 2-3 oz. liquid, blended it then stired in the rest of the liquid.

5 + years out and I still can't use a blender because of the air it generates. Some suggested leaving the shake to rest a while and even stirring it to remove the bubbles but that didn't seem to help.

I use a BlenderBottle® - cheapest place I know of is vitacost.com but you can get them at GNC. I have several of the 24oz - they're great for mixing eggs and batters etc. and I use one as my water bottle (minus the wire whisk): http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=0&y=0&ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=BlenderBottle%20--%2028%20oz

i use decaf coffee and sugar free creamer and make my protein shake into an iced coffee, thats the only way i can get it down anymore :(