ridgetop01

Does everyone throw up after?

I'm only 2 months out, but I've never thrown up. I do feel nauseous if I eat too fast or take bites that are too big.

I'm more than 3 months out and haven't thrown up so far. I'm kind of curious to see when it will happen. I had surgery 15 years ago for reflux, a fundoplication. This surgery made it impossible to throw up, so I haven't actually barfed in 15 years. They un-did that surgery to do the gastric bypass, so I should be able to throw up now. Not that I want to, but just wondering how long I'll go before it actually happens. 15 years and counting.

I joke that I'm like a food processor. It goes down and gets mixed up REALLY well then it comes back up.

I have NEVER thrown on on something that I should be eating. It's always the crap I shouldn't be. Eating fast or too much will lead me right down the path of being food humble as well.

The puking really isn't bad though. It's a huge relief to get that crap out. It doesn't leave funky tastes in your mouth either.

I am just over 3 months out and have not thrown up yet but have had my stomach torn up by a Wendy's Frosty. That will break up any constipation one may have !!!

I am five months out and have thrown up well over a hundred times.

But I will second what Kelly said and it is not nearly as acidy or unpleasant unless you are really dumping, as it was pre-op.

I have thrown up everywhere-at the office, outside, in the parking lot, driving down the highway-that was a first and I have done it several times. Sometimes the food just kind slides back out of you.

It is very interesting.

I don't eat the "wrong" foods, and I also don't eat quickly AND I am only eating 3 tbs a meal and yes I still throw up. It normally comes on about 10 minutes after I am done eating. I am going to see my dietitian to see what I can do to help it. Today I have no thrown up and it is a total relief! I HATE throwing up, I never did before this and I HATE IT. It is freaking gross, slimy and BLAH! I did go weeks without throwing up so who knows whats going on.

I am five months out and have thrown up well over a hundred times.

But I will second what Kelly said and it is not nearly as acidy or unpleasant unless you are really dumping, as it was pre-op.

I have thrown up everywhere-at the office, outside, in the parking lot, driving down the highway-that was a first and I have done it several times. Sometimes the food just kind slides back out of you.

It is very interesting.

What I have affectionately dubbed the "power vomits".

I would like to add the only time I have got sick on the wrong food is potato chips and yep won't happen again. All the other times it was on foods I thought were ok post op. And they are just not for me.

I threw up A LOT with the band, but five weeks out from GB have not yet.

You have to figure out what the cause of the throwing up is. I did not throw up just felt very sluggish in the beginning after I ate. Almost the feeling after a good old time thanksgiving dinner but a little worse. I "dumped" once in my 6 weeks post op. I think that I tried ground lean meat a little to early out and I dumped on it. The answer is NO you should not be puking. If you are you will want to call the dr. asap. You will dump a/k/a puke if you eat to fast, eat to big of a bite, or eat something that will not agree with you. I can not explain it any different in that if you eat slow like you are supposed to you will literally know within three tiny bites if something does not agree with you....Your body just sends the signal....AT least it did for me. It is hard early on but you will adjust just fine and we are all here for your support! :o)

I know this is an old post but wondering if those that had issues of throwing up a lot, if it is still happening. I throw up usually 2 out of 3 meals a day. I havent been able to tell why, i eat slow, i eat the right things, not too big of bites. I throw up on water sometimes, but thats usually because I take too big of a drink. Its just getting really old to throw up at least twice a day. Last night I felt like I needed to throw up and it was trying to come out and it wouldn't but it hurt so bad I was crying. It was definelty not a good feeling.

I usually only throw up if I eat too fast or do not chew well enough. I've also thrown up trying "new" foods. Early out I tried to sip water and I would throw up sometimes so I don't do that now.

I know this is an old post but wondering if those that had issues of throwing up a lot, if it is still happening. I throw up usually 2 out of 3 meals a day. I havent been able to tell why, i eat slow, i eat the right things, not too big of bites. I throw up on water sometimes, but thats usually because I take too big of a drink. Its just getting really old to throw up at least twice a day. Last night I felt like I needed to throw up and it was trying to come out and it wouldn't but it hurt so bad I was crying. It was definelty not a good feeling.

Jenn - this is something you need to talk with your surgeon about because it's not normal to throw up on a daily basis - nor is it usual to throw up water.

It might be that you have the start of a stricture - who knows but it's definately something you need to get checked out.

I didn't think it was normal either but when I mentioned it ot my dr, he basically told me as long as I can eat somethings, that it probably isnt a stricture. He said to wait and see. I think if it continues to happen, I will go in. Thanks for the advice!

I didn't think it was normal either but when I mentioned it ot my dr, he basically told me as long as I can eat somethings, that it probably isnt a stricture. He said to wait and see. I think if it continues to happen, I will go in. Thanks for the advice!

Grrr.. meanwhile, vomiting several times a day is a potential for serious damage to your esophagus, gums and teeth! No way- tell him to do a scope ASAP and find out WHAT is the cause..

Are you on any anti nausea medication at least? I hope like heck you are!

Good luck, hon.. it sounds like you'll need to be a firm advocate for yourself with this doctor :(

I am one who has never thrown up. Not once. I'm almost 11 months out.

I'm not on any anti nausea med..... I'm to the point where I don't even want to eat any more. It's like why should I prepare a special meal for myself if I'm just going to throw it up. I am also just so thirsty all the time. I am going to call my Dr tomorrow.

I threw up probably 3-4 times a week for the first 2-3 months after surgery. It's mostly trial and error when it comes to what you can eat and how fast you can eat since everyone is different. I have only thrown up once in the last 3 months, and that was because I ate waaaay too fast, and I knew it right away. The first few months can be rough as its trial and error and experimenting with different foods. But you learn from your mistakes, and it gets better every day.

I'm the same way I'm 7 weeks today and I throw up at least 5 out 7 days a week. I have had 2 scopes done since my surgery they found I had a ulcer that was not there 6 months ago go figure!!!! I'm so disappointed in this surgery I am sick all the time I have been back to the doctor's at least 8 times not counting the scopes and cannot get any relief. Tomorrow I go to my doctor again we'll see what they want me to do now. I have lost over 40 pounds in 7 weeks but I didn't plan on losing it this way.

I am 13 weeks post-op and have NOT thrown up at all; not once!

I can never tell. I can throw up twice a day for a week and then not at all for another week. It's certainly worse if I don't chew well, but I haven't any foods that automatically bring on regurgitation! I didn't start throwing up straight after surgery - I think I was 2 or 3 months out before it really started.

I've had a bad week and can't keep much down at the moment and I've gone back to liquids for a few days.

I'm 6 months post-surgery tomorrow.

I just threw up for the first time at 11.5 months post-op. I overloaded on carbs and up it came. I'll never do that again. I've gotten to the point where I can eat a lot more and don't have a lot of intolerances anymore (bad combination with Christmas), and I think I just pushed it too far. The act itself wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be! I'll probably never eat pretzels again, though!

Well my appointment is today at 145. Yesterday was really bad, I threw up at least 10 times and that was from eating 3 times and drinking water. I finally had some cranberry juice mixed with water and that stayed down. I'm hoping they call let me know what's going on.

Just got done . . . yuk!! But I think mine - this time - was due to not paying attention and not chewing properly.

I've thrown up about twice a month for the first few months post surgery. And it has never been because of the food that I ate, but because I wasn't mindful of HOW I was eating.

Four things make me puke: eating too much, eating too quickly, not chewing well, swallowing too big a bite. It's becoming a bit easier for me as time goes on, but making new "how to eat" habits has been my biggest challenge.

Everyone is different!

I've thrown up about twice a month for the first few months post surgery. And it has never been because of the food that I ate, but because I wasn't mindful of HOW I was eating.

Four things make me puke: eating too much, eating too quickly, not chewing well, swallowing too big a bite. It's becoming a bit easier for me as time goes on, but making new "how to eat" habits has been my biggest challenge.

Everyone is different!

Lotharia: Pointing out that it is Mindful eating was an amazing point!

I have to completely agree with you on the four things! I am only 7 weeks out but I am starting to realize beforehand that this bite is going to make me ill and spitting it out instead of swallowing ... I'm starting to push the plate away sooner. I have only thrown up 2 or 3 time but I've had the foamies an additional 2 or 3 times and was wishing I would throw up! Vomitting after is def. different than it was before but I know it is not good for us and am working to be more mindfull.

I had the Gastric by pass on May 30, 2017 and have thrown up a few times...but it's NeVeR fast for me, it takes FOREVER to get it out! I wish it came fast for me, I do feel better when it's out.  I guess I ate too fast-or maybe it's the foods. IDK, but I stay away from eggs and baked beans. Sad, bc they have good proteins. 

I'm down 47 pounds. 150 more to go.