ridgetop01

Does everyone throw up after?

53 posts in this topic

And if so, is it often, or once in a while, and is it something we can avoid by our behavior? And how long will it last? I think this is one of the things that worries me a lot - will I go back to my office job in 2 weeks and be spending time in the rest rooms? Ick!!!

Thanks for helping us pre-ops know what's coming!

I threw up a lot after I would eat.

Now, i rarely throw up...but I often wish I could. I typically always feel bad right after I eat--sometimes worse than others. Usually i just need to lay down for about 20 minutes or sometimes an hour. But, I am not puking anymore. YAY.

It really varies from person to person. I did throw up a lot at first. I don't throw up often any more, but I do throw up more often still than I did before I had surgery. You can often prevent throwing up by following your food plan carefully. Eating the "wrong" foods is likely to cause throwing up and eating too much or eating too quickly is likely to cause throwing up.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that throwing up after RNY is not the same as throwing up before RNY. After RNY, we make very little stomach acid. So throwing up is not as gross as it used to be. I mean, it's still not fun. But it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Kelly

Edited by poet_kelly

I am two months out today and have thrown up once. It was because I ate too much fish. Which I had eaten the same amount the night before and was fine. I have not tried anything sweet or with high sugar content so don't know if I dump. Don't want to find out yet. Like Kelly said it was not all that bad, when I threw up. Helped me feel so much better. Of course it is not something I want to do on a regular basis.

Cherryl

The only time I threw up was when I was a few weeks out. I ate some broccoli...definitely do not recommend eating that until you are out for a few months!

I had my surgery on Feb. 23 and I haven't thrown up once....at least not yet.

I am about 20 months out and I haven't thrown up at all!

Like others have said, it just depends. I did dump one time and that was at over 1 year out....I ate too many grapes and the sugar got me. But I didn't throw up...just got the shakes, sweats, heart racing, pain in the gut that makes you want to die for about 45 min...but that's all ;)

It really varies from person to person. I did throw up a lot at first. I don't throw up often any more, but I do throw up more often still than I did before I had surgery. You can often prevent throwing up by following your food plan carefully. Eating the "wrong" foods is likely to cause throwing up and eating too much or eating too quickly is likely to cause throwing up.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that throwing up after RNY is not the same as throwing up before RNY. After RNY, we make very little stomach acid. So throwing up is not as gross as it used to be. I mean, it's still not fun. But it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Kelly

Ditto on what Kelly said. The only time I throw up now is when I eat too fast or too much and I usually want to throw up. And I really don't mind throwing up after RNY because there's no stomach acid. I feel better afterward because the food is not stuck anymore.

Ditto on what Kelly said. The only time I throw up now is when I eat too fast or too much and I usually want to throw up. And I really don't mind throwing up after RNY because there's no stomach acid. I feel better afterward because the food is not stuck anymore.

I didn't throw up a lot, but when I did, it was usually a relief! And yeah.. it comes up pretty much the same as it went down. :D

Yeah...there's nothing like regurgitating broccoli and mashed potatoes! Now I know how birds feel.

in 15 months, I've thrown up twice, both due to stuck food (first time was a hardboiled egg, second time was a piece of grilled chicken)

Yeah...there's nothing like regurgitating broccoli and mashed potatoes! Now I know how birds feel.

haha.. I actually edited out how I once got to "enjoy" my chocolate brownie sundae for a good 45 minutes- down and back :P~~

WOW .. I threw up almost everyday for a week the 2nd week out .. trying to eat stuff... my tummy wasnt ready .. then I went to protien shakes .. and was fine .. then slowly introduced foods around 3 months out ... then I would only throw up if something was dry or I ate to much ... Still will... but its usually a quick throw up and its only about 4oz.. so its not like a regular person throwing up... If something is hurting me I am ready to get rid of it anyway and then feel better....

haha.. I actually edited out how I once got to "enjoy" my chocolate brownie sundae for a good 45 minutes- down and back :P~~

You know though, those return enjoyments of some foods help keep me honest. 9 times out of 10 if I've hurled it I dont wanna eat it again. Its like hurl adversion therapy for me.

You know though, those return enjoyments of some foods help keep me honest. 9 times out of 10 if I've hurled it I dont wanna eat it again. Its like hurl adversion therapy for me.

True Story!! I don't *ever* want to repeat that particular episode and it definitely keeps me far far away from the stupid brownie sundaes.

I wish I was like that. I have no will power!

I wish I was like that. I have no will power!

The only thing I have ever purged and I have eaten again is chicken.

The only thing I have ever purged and I have eaten again is chicken.

Ummm.. I assume you did not mean it that way- not that you ate it immediately after purging?? :eek::eek: lol

Ummm.. I assume you did not mean it that way- not that you ate it immediately after purging?? :eek::eek: lol

Why yes Kel I like enjoy ABC food all the time!

No I meant chicken is the only food I have gotten sick on that I have been able to eat at some point again. Not the hurled chicken just to clarify.

No I meant chicken is the only food I have gotten sick on that I have been able to eat at some point again. Not the hurled chicken just to clarify.

lol.... I figured as much but huh..you never know ;)

Just over a month out and never have:)

Like the others have said I typically throw up when I eat too fast or something gets stuck. And let me say that I feel much better once I can get it up. And throwing up is sooo much different now than it used to be. Just be prepared that if you even think that you might be getting ready to hurl to get to the bathroom ASAP because when it comes up it comes up fast and you can't control it.

I've thrown up a lot since surgery but it's because my pouch has been super sensitive and the surgeon and nutritionist were having me experiment with what foods I could tolerate. It's getting better now that I'm a little over 3 months out.

I'm just about 2 1/2 years out and I've never thrown up.

I've had the foamies once - on something I eat virtually every day - fresh strawberries and plain yogurt - go figure.

Just got done . . . yuk!! But I think mine - this time - was due to not paying attention and not chewing properly.

I actually read it the same way Kel did and laughed - realizing that you didn't mean it the way it read......

I have also thrown up quite a few foods and have not gone back for a return engagement without a few weeks between sittings. Most times I get the shakes, freezing cold and nauseated without barfing and have to head somewhere to lay down! :)