• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:157
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

I think this topic was started somewhere in the hundreds of pages of the June Staplers thread, but in case others are interested...

I got some of this yogurt at Albertson's today and tried it and thought I would post my thoughts.

I got the plain (less sugar), but they had flavored as well. Strawberry, Blueberry and Honey.

Tastewise I thought it was good. With two packs of sweetner, it tasted very similar to the Fage 0% I usually eat and with kashi cereal, a little strawberries and banana thrown in, it made a tasty breakfast!

The Yoplait doesn't quite measure up to Fage on nutrition: (both 6 oz)

..............Yoplait.....Fage
Calories... 100..........90
Sugar.......9.............7
Sodium.....90...........65
Protein.....14...........15

Yoplait is also 0%, so fat was zero for both.

HOWEVER, the Yoplait was $1.29 versus the Fage which is $1.89. So I might get it now and again for that reason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~Nikki~

June Staplers 2010 Challenge: Lose 10 lbs by March 10 by any means necessary!

Surgery Date: June 18, 2009

232/202/157/130
Highest/Surgery/Current/My Goal

Other goals:
No longer obese = 163 (met goal: 9/27/09)
No longer overweight = 135

#2 Highlandlass

Highlandlass

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ont. Canada
  • Surgeon:Dr. L. Smith
  • Hospital:St. Joseph's Health Centre
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:196
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.8
  • Surgery Date:06/15/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for posting all the information about the Yoplait vs Fage. I can't get Fage up here in Toronto - I'll have to have a look around and see if the other is available and do like you - add some fruit and Kashi! :)
*** Rhonda ***
Highest weight - 292
Height - 5' 8"
Weight on date of surgery (15.6.09)- 270.5
Today - 196
First Goal - Onederland- May 10, 2010
Next Goal - 192 and Century Club - Reached Aug 11/10

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#3 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:149
  • Surgery Date:05/29/2008

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for posting that Nikki. Maybe since Yoplait is a big brand name, it will be more easily available than Fage. Plus the price is WAY more attractive. The cheapest I can get Fage locally is $2, which I think is a ridiculous price.

Did the Yoplait only come in 0%, or was it also available in 2% as well?
What did YOU eat today? Join your fellow TT'ers by posting at:
What did you eat yesterday (or today)?

Lap RNY -05/29/08
274 orientation/253 day of surgery/151 current/149 goal
Total pounds gone - 122

#4 NikkiJoT

NikkiJoT

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for posting that Nikki. Maybe since Yoplait is a big brand name, it will be more easily available than Fage. Plus the price is WAY more attractive. The cheapest I can get Fage locally is $2, which I think is a ridiculous price.

Did the Yoplait only come in 0%, or was it also available in 2% as well?

At the Albertson's where I got it, they had the plain 0% and the three flavors only, so I don't know if other than 0% is available or they just chose not to carry it. This particular Albertson's doesn't even carry Fage and it's the biggest one I've seen. I have a smaller store I usually go to and they have Fage for $1.89. Otherwise I get it at Henry's for $1.99. It's never on sale either! Potentially the Yoplait will be on sale and even cheaper! I know they also carry the Yoplait at the smaller store because I saw a guy buying it in front of me the last time I was there, so I will check and see if they carry other flavors, 2% or full fat versions and get back to you!

I hope the baby is growing and healthy! Did you post baby bump photos??

I'm not around much anymore, so I miss alot!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~Nikki~

232/202/157/130

Other goals:

#5 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:149
  • Surgery Date:05/29/2008

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

At the Albertson's where I got it, they had the plain 0% and the three flavors only, so I don't know if other than 0% is available or they just chose not to carry it. This particular Albertson's doesn't even carry Fage and it's the biggest one I've seen. I have a smaller store I usually go to and they have Fage for $1.89. Otherwise I get it at Henry's for $1.99. It's never on sale either! Potentially the Yoplait will be on sale and even cheaper! I know they also carry the Yoplait at the smaller store because I saw a guy buying it in front of me the last time I was there, so I will check and see if they carry other flavors, 2% or full fat versions and get back to you!

I hope the baby is growing and healthy! Did you post baby bump photos??

I'm not around much anymore, so I miss alot!!

I'm crossing my fingers that Walmart will sell it. Right now all they have is the Oikos, which I don't like at all.

Yep, the baby is doing great...thanks for asking! :) I'm having some problems related to the pregnancy, but I'm hanging in there. I have an ongoing thread over on the Pregnancy board, but I haven't posted baby bump photos in awhile...gotta take some soon and do that.

Did you know Kim had her baby a few days ago? You gotta visit TT more often Nikki...you've been missed!
What did YOU eat today? Join your fellow TT'ers by posting at:
What did you eat yesterday (or today)?

Lap RNY -05/29/08
274 orientation/253 day of surgery/151 current/149 goal
Total pounds gone - 122

#6 NikkiJoT

NikkiJoT

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

I'm crossing my fingers that Walmart will sell it. Right now all they have is the Oikos, which I don't like at all.

Yep, the baby is doing great...thanks for asking! :) I'm having some problems related to the pregnancy, but I'm hanging in there. I have an ongoing thread over on the Pregnancy board, but I haven't posted baby bump photos in awhile...gotta take some soon and do that.

Did you know Kim had her baby a few days ago? You gotta visit TT more often Nikki...you've been missed!

I still don't see the greek yogurt on the US Yoplait website, so it's hard to say what they have and who is carrying it. Hopefully Walmart will! We don't have superwalmarts around here, so I don't have that option.

Yes, I do need to come around more and the next time I have some time, I am going to peruse the pregnancy board and see the updates and pictures!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~Nikki~

232/202/157/130

Other goals:

#7 hollycerniglia

hollycerniglia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationSummertown, TN
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lynch
  • Hospital:Baptist Hospital
  • Start Weight:273
  • Current Weight:195
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:08/24/2009

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info.
Holly

Onederland 3/29/10

Start/Current/Goal 273/ 195/ 150

#8 Aviator

Aviator

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts
  • LocationLake Conroe, TX
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jason Balette
  • Hospital:St. Lukes - The Woodlands, Tx
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:310
  • Goal Weight:189
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.3
  • Surgery Date:12/31/2008
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

But Im a confirmed Fage guy. Its a whole meal for me at least three days a week, so the price point difference is inconsequential. I eat the 2%, not the 0%.

I just like the taste texture and consistency of Fage. So sorry to those of you who cant get it.

Aviator aka AeroBear - To learn about my WLS journey and what YOU can expect check out Aviator's Log Book

Procedure--- Date--------- Initial weight--- Lowest weight

SLEEVE----- 12.31.2008-- 310------------  225

REVISION--- 7.25.2013--- 258-------------195... at GOAL!  20 lbs. below surgeon's goal weight for me.

Total lost to date: 115 lb.

#9 loki8481

loki8481

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Chau
  • Hospital:princeton medical center
  • Start Weight:406
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2008

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm surprised at the price ya'll are paying for fage... I buy chobani for like $0.89.

100 calories, 18 grams of protein... I'll mix it with 3/4 cup of special k protein plus cereal for a 200 calorie/28g protein breakfast.
~Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

goal #1: 225 pounds (my weight freshman year of high school) -- reached on 9/13/09
goal #2: onderville (199) -- reached on 11/19/09
goal #3: normal BMI (173) -- reached on 2/27/10

Milestones:

12/04: pre-op diet start (406)
12/18: surgery (383)
04/11: twoterville! (299)
11/19: onederland! (199)

#10 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'm surprised at the price ya'll are paying for fage... I buy chobani for like $0.89.

100 calories, 18 grams of protein... I'll mix it with 3/4 cup of special k protein plus cereal for a 200 calorie/28g protein breakfast.

I can't abide chobani.. thin, watery and sour as all get out!

I'm a dyed in the wool, Fagehead.

For the above nutrition comparison, note that the Fage is a 7 oz container, not 6 oz.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#11 NikkiJoT

NikkiJoT

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

But Im a confirmed Fage guy. Its a whole meal for me at least three days a week, so the price point difference is inconsequential. I eat the 2%, not the 0%.

I just like the taste texture and consistency of Fage. So sorry to those of you who cant get it.

I have been eating Fage all along but wanted to give Yoplait a try since it's new. Although I tried the 2% Fage and it tasted like pure cream to me! I'm definately a 0%-er! I would say the quality of Fage is higher than Yoplait for sure. In fact, I had a Yoplait yesterday and Fage today and did notice a difference. Not enough to go for Yoplait now and again when I'm tight on the cash, though!!

I have never tried the Chobani. I didn't notice the price but they did have it in stock where I bought the Yoplait. I suppose I should give that a try too - to be fair!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~Nikki~

232/202/157/130

Other goals:

#12 NikkiJoT

NikkiJoT

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

I can't abide chobani.. thin, watery and sour as all get out!

I'm a dyed in the wool, Fagehead.

For the above nutrition comparison, note that the Fage is a 7 oz container, not 6 oz.

The 0% Fage comes in 6 oz only for some reason, so the ounce size was comparible. I knew you wouldn't go for any other kind of yogurt, but Yoplait might be a nice alternate for those not able to get Fage or who don't like others.

On a side note, I love the reaction of cashiers sometimes when i have a half a basket full of Fage, 2 full boxes of Kashi protein bars, and 4 boxes of Kashi cereal. They almost always ask me about it and I am happy to comment!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~Nikki~

232/202/157/130

Other goals:

#13 loki8481

loki8481

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

I have never tried the Chobani. I didn't notice the price but they did have it in stock where I bought the Yoplait. I suppose I should give that a try too - to be fair!

it's definitely not as thick as fage, but that's why I prefer it (but different strokes for different folks!)
~Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

goal #1: 225 pounds (my weight freshman year of high school) -- reached on 9/13/09

Milestones:

#14 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

The 0% Fage comes in 6 oz only for some reason, so the ounce size was comparible. I knew you wouldn't go for any other kind of yogurt, but Yoplait might be a nice alternate for those not able to get Fage or who don't like others.

On a side note, I love the reaction of cashiers sometimes when i have a half a basket full of Fage, 2 full boxes of Kashi protein bars, and 4 boxes of Kashi cereal. They almost always ask me about it and I am happy to comment!!

Okay- I didn't realize the 0% was a smaller container.. weird!

And we have them order two cases of fage and set them in the back for me, every other week. They think I'm odd, but don't question me anymore. lol.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#15 laurajh

laurajh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lautz 2011
  • Hospital:Brigham and Womens 2011
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):43
  • Surgery Date:5-9-11

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:23 AM

I've seen a lot of great things mentioned about greek yogurts, and although I'm still pre-op I've been keeping my eyes open in the supermarkets looking for any that are flavored, but I've never seen them. I love yogurt, but it has to be flavored, I can't stand the plain unflavored I think it's so gross. (cottage cheese for the same reason...yick). I can never find any sugar free yogurts, always reduced sugar but never sugar free.
So it's good to hear that flavored Fage does in fact exist, the only obstacle is finding it.

One thing I am curious about though, what is the difference between regular yogurt and Greek? What's in it that makes it Greek? Is it not cow's milk?

#16 Highlandlass

Highlandlass

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ont. Canada
  • Surgeon:Dr. L. Smith
  • Hospital:St. Joseph's Health Centre
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:196
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.8
  • Surgery Date:06/15/2009

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Well, the cows speak Greek, for one thing lol!!! :) I got the following info from an internet site:
"Greek style yogurt is a very thick yogurt that is either made from milk that has had some of the water removed or by straining whey from plain yogurt to make it thicker and creamier. Greek-style yogurt tends to hold up better when heated than regular yogurt, making it perfect for cooking. It is also referred to as Mediterranean or Mediterranean-style yogurt and is often used for dips such as Tzatziki. A Balkan-style yogurt that has 6% M.F. or more makes an excellent substitute for Greek-style yogurt."
You can apparently take plain yoghurt and strain it over cheesecloth or a basket-type coffee filter and achieve a good result by straining out the whey.
Straining out the whey to make Greek-style yogurt removes even more of the lactose or sugar which can be helpful for those with insulin issues. Straining the whey is not necessary but it results in a creamier, richer, premium-style yogurt. Use yogurt in place of all or some of the mayonnaise in recipes, use in saucing, in dips. Yogurt made at home is refreshing and just slightly tart, not sour and watery like store-bought.

Hope this helps!!! :)
*** Rhonda ***
Highest weight - 292
Height - 5' 8"
Weight on date of surgery (15.6.09)- 270.5
Today - 196
First Goal - Onederland- May 10, 2010
Next Goal - 192 and Century Club - Reached Aug 11/10

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#17 loki8481

loki8481

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

I've seen a lot of great things mentioned about greek yogurts, and although I'm still pre-op I've been keeping my eyes open in the supermarkets looking for any that are flavored, but I've never seen them. I love yogurt, but it has to be flavored, I can't stand the plain unflavored I think it's so gross. (cottage cheese for the same reason...yick). I can never find any sugar free yogurts, always reduced sugar but never sugar free.
So it's good to hear that flavored Fage does in fact exist, the only obstacle is finding it.

for what it's worth, the flavored yogurts tend to have a ton of sugar and not as much protein... what I'll usually do is mix in some sugar-free preserves/jelly in with my yogurt or cottage cheese to give it some flavor.
~Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Milestones:

#18 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,575 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

I never had much of a sweet tooth but since surgery, I have a problem with fruity style yogurts.

Plain style strained yogurt (I like making it myself) or FAGE mixed with salsa or Liptons Onion Soup mix or Ranch Dressing mix makes a really nice change. Good as a dip, dressing on salad or veg or mixed with chopped chicken etc.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#19 Aviator

Aviator

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts
  • LocationLake Conroe, TX
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jason Balette
  • Hospital:St. Lukes - The Woodlands, Tx
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:310
  • Goal Weight:189
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.3
  • Surgery Date:12/31/2008
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

for what it's worth, the flavored yogurts tend to have a ton of sugar and not as much protein... what I'll usually do is mix in some sugar-free preserves/jelly in with my yogurt or cottage cheese to give it some flavor.

That is what I do too. Plain yoghurt with sugar free jelly on top. Makes Fage seem like cheesecake.

Remember this pre-ops: Your tastes change post-op. You may like what you didn't before, and you most certainly will not be able to eat what you did before.

Like I eat no ice cream now. Doesn't agree with me. First time I tried it after surgery, I puked. Overfilling will make you puke, and that carton of Fage is about all that you will be able to manage - if that.

Still hate cranberries tho. :P Before and after.

Aviator aka AeroBear - To learn about my WLS journey and what YOU can expect check out Aviator's Log Book

Procedure--- Date--------- Initial weight--- Lowest weight

SLEEVE----- 12.31.2008-- 310------------  225

REVISION--- 7.25.2013--- 258-------------195... at GOAL!  20 lbs. below surgeon's goal weight for me.

Total lost to date: 115 lb.

#20 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,575 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Aviator - have you tried plain yogurt (regular not Greek) mixed with some fat/sugar free Jello no bake pudding mix in cheesecake flavour?

About 2 tablespoons of pudding mix to 6oz yogurt works for me but you can adjust to suit.

Actually, any of the Jello pudding mixes are good in plain yogurt but the cheesecake is my favourite (today anyway! lol).

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~