HeatherWeather

Colace Question

I purchased the Colace stool softener capsules, they are very small liquid capsules, is it ok to take these with Gastric Bypass, I know we are not supposed to take pills, but I have to take something for the problems I have been experiencing.... :eek:

Please let me know what you all think !!!

It's fine to take pills, I take 3 of these a day.

I purchased the Colace stool softener capsules, they are very small liquid capsules, is it ok to take these with Gastric Bypass, I know we are not supposed to take pills, but I have to take something for the problems I have been experiencing.... :eek:

Please let me know what you all think !!!

You aren't allowed to take pills? Um, how long did they tell you this? I take pills everyday, we have to... We are malnourishing our bodies, therefore needing supplements.

Colace is okay, there are some threads on here about it already, and just made in the past couple days. The more repetitive the questions, the less and less that people seem to answer them. The search feature is awesome for that.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/43607-constipation.html

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/38722-i-have-poop-problems-too.html

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/43071-pills-after-surgery.html

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/43611-swallowing-pills-still-crushing-them.html

I was started on Colace and Prilosec in hospital.

Yeah in the diet and education class I had to attend we were told no pills for the rest of our lives, no matter how tiny. I'm not buying into that. Thank goodness for Thinner Times. I think I'd go insane if I had to crush or chew all these pills and vitamins for the next 30-40 years.

perfectly fine.. i actually was prescribed it after WLS.

thanks for the answers... sorry for the repetition

I was told, and it is in my literature from my surgeon, that I was never going to be able to take pills again, all my vitamins are chewable and I have only taken chewable childrens tylenol, I am relieved to be able to tale the Colace! Thank you!!!

I take the generic equivalent of colace. it is much cheaper!

Ron

Yeah in the diet and education class I had to attend we were told no pills for the rest of our lives, no matter how tiny. I'm not buying into that. Thank goodness for Thinner Times. I think I'd go insane if I had to crush or chew all these pills and vitamins for the next 30-40 years.

I was told, and it is in my literature from my surgeon, that I was never going to be able to take pills again, all my vitamins are chewable and I have only taken chewable childrens tylenol, I am relieved to be able to tale the Colace! Thank you!!!

This is just mind blowing to me. Where do these surgeons come up with this stuff?

It sadly really makes me question alot of things they tell us.

I had the nutrition class also and spoke with a dietician 1 on 1 for about 2 hours. THey say no pills because the absorbtion rate is different now. Pills dont stay in the stomache long enough to break down before passing on. Hence they are not effective and you are wasting your time and money. Thats what I was told. As for vitamins.. I was told to get chewables or even better liquid vitamins. The body will have a chance to absorb these instead of just passing through. Thats what I was told.

Just curious, has anyone tried like 1 or 2 prunes? Or will they make you spend the next day on the thrown? Seems like they might be very effective. I have the surgery coming up his week and was curious about this. Let me know if anyone has tried it so if the issue comes up for me I can try things.

I had the nutrition class also and spoke with a dietician 1 on 1 for about 2 hours. THey say no pills because the absorbtion rate is different now. Pills dont stay in the stomache long enough to break down before passing on. Hence they are not effective and you are wasting your time and money. Thats what I was told. As for vitamins.. I was told to get chewables or even better liquid vitamins. The body will have a chance to absorb these instead of just passing through. Thats what I was told.

This is just not a true statement. I take coumadin for 2 genetic blood disorders. I took it before I had WLS and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. The absorption of medication and vitamins does not take place in our stomachs. Not that there is anything wrong with chewables, I like them for convenience. I can grab em as I am running out the door. As for liquid vitamins, I have yet to find one that meets our needs post op.

Just curious, has anyone tried like 1 or 2 prunes? Or will they make you spend the next day on the thrown? Seems like they might be very effective. I have the surgery coming up his week and was curious about this. Let me know if anyone has tried it so if the issue comes up for me I can try things.

As for prunes, I tend to avoid dried fruits because at least for my comfort the sugar levels are too high. I take the Colace (well a generic of it) and Miralax to keep those issues at bay. Seems to work great.

Edited by AirForceW1fe
Format

OH My . After 4 months my Nut is allowing me to take calcium Citrate petites. I have no problems with them. The only Chewables I take is Centrum multi vitamins and that is because I like them. They are orange I and don't know I just like them.

My Book Says that if you take pills, you should space them apart about 10 minutes or so. but other than that I am now allowed to take pills/capsules

The only thing I have found to help me stay regular is Miralx - Walgreen brand. I put it in my Light Plum juice most morning. (Mon Wed Frid and Saturday is my ritual). I have tried all the softener and they did not help me. This really helps and my surgeon approved it at least 3-4 times a week.

Edited by maria2B