maria2B

Was I wrong?

I had 1/2 hot dog bun filled w/ Manwhich sloppy Joes

This is the first bread product I have eaten so far and I feel like I really did something wrong. But I stuck to about 4 ounces - I think. May have had too much bread but you know what? It was pure heaven. And it was only half a bun. And no it was not whole wheat or low calorie. I did not plan it, but I did make the choice to only use 1/2 a bun. So I feel I made a good choice in that anyhow.

But I know I can not do this very often. Perhaps not again for another 4 months. But it was worth it. Now to eat some veggies and protein.

I have no idea on protein and calories - so I need to figure that out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating bread. You want to limit the starchy carbs but you can have them sometimes.

Kelly

You're opening yourself for a lot of criticism so try and read delicately. I feel that if you posed the question then you feel as though you made not the best choice possible.

I stay away from bread as much as possible, for me it has the tendency to expand when wet in the gut and I feel like a bread stuffed goldfish with the eyes buggin out of my head even.

Tread lightly with things like Manwhich filling which contains sugar and fat, that with the bread is a little heavy.

I would encourage you next time to skip the bread and just eat the filling, ask yourself; what is the nutritional value in bread? The answer is absolutely nothing.

You're opening yourself for a lot of criticism so try and read delicately. I feel that if you posed the question then you feel as though you made not the best choice possible.

I stay away from bread as much as possible, for me it has the tendency to expand when wet in the gut and I feel like a bread stuffed goldfish with the eyes buggin out of my head even.

Tread lightly with things like Manwhich filling which contains sugar and fat, that with the bread is a little heavy.

I would encourage you next time to skip the bread and just eat the filling, ask yourself; what is the nutritional value in bread? The answer is absolutely nothing.

Actually Manwich sauce contains no fat and 4g of sugar, so depending if the meat that was used was lean it would be no different than any other meat sauce.

Agreed on the bread, but as long as it's not a daily thing, it's no big deal.

Normal people eat bread, they just don't eat loaves of it everyday.

Actually, the nutritional value of bread is not nothing, either. I'm looking a Wonder Bread white hot dog bun label right now, on their website. It's not the most nutritious type of bread out there, for sure. But one white hot dog bun has 110 calories (which is not that bad, and we actually do need to consume calories, you know), 21 carbs (which again, is not that bad and we actually need to consume carbs, too, although whole grains or other carbs would be better), 3 grams of protein, 10% of the RDA of calcium 6% of the RDA of iron, 10% of the RDA of vitamin D, 15% of the RDA of thiamin, 15% of the RDA of folic acid, and a few other vitamins. It's certainly not the healthiest thing one could eat, but it most certainly does have some nutritional value.

Kelly

Your right on all the above. I welcome all thoughts and advise. That I why I post here .

When I do something wrong I need to have everyone In my face. LOL

I don't get my feelings hurt at all. I want everyone to be honest. And believe me next time I am tempted at the bread I will remeber your words "what is the nutrional value of this?" Those are mighty powerful words. I think I will use this phrase a lot.

But I really can't see me never having bread. But I think I will now be able to control it. Thanks for the advice.

Actually, the nutritional value of bread is not nothing, either. I'm looking a Wonder Bread white hot dog bun label right now, on their website. It's not the most nutritious type of bread out there, for sure. But one white hot dog bun has 110 calories (which is not that bad, and we actually do need to consume calories, you know), 21 carbs (which again, is not that bad and we actually need to consume carbs, too, although whole grains or other carbs would be better), 3 grams of protein, 10% of the RDA of calcium 6% of the RDA of iron, 10% of the RDA of vitamin D, 15% of the RDA of thiamin, 15% of the RDA of folic acid, and a few other vitamins. It's certainly not the healthiest thing one could eat, but it most certainly does have some nutritional value.

Kelly

LOl, That means I only consumed 55 calories from the bread. Whew. But For me Bread and chips are my weakness . But I can't see me never having bread. But I think I can control it. Thanks for getting the Nut information.

Oh I did use extra lean Ground Beef. I measured 2/ 1/2 ounces out. . So not sure how many ounces 1/2 bun is. But that is all my pouch could hold.

OK for my next question. How do we know good carbs from bad? I guess I need to research this.

OK for my next question. How do we know good carbs from bad? I guess I need to research this.

Starchy carbs = not so good. Starchy carbs are stuff like bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. If you're gonna eat them, it's better to use whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc.

Complex carbs = good. This includes carbs like milk, beans, fruits, and veggies.

Another easy way to decide is to look at what color it is. If it's white, it's most likely a simple carb and not so good. Like white bread, white rice, regular pasta, etc. But milk is an exception to that rule.

Kelly

stressing out over half a hotdog is silly... my philosophy is eat what you want, in moderation, and write it all down to make sure it really is in moderation and that you're not sneaking in a ton of calories without realizing it.

The surgeon that I go to does not allow any starches for 6 months. I am trying to figure out how I will go without even a bite of potatoes. I will be doing a lot of praying.

Its been two years, and I still have not eaten any bread, but crackers, pop corn, potatoes, chips etc are not safe around me!!

I firmly believe that as long as moderation is practiced, let your self live....

If the flames begin, well just urinate on them!!:D:D

Bread can be part of a healthy balanced diet if taken in moderation. Wholegrain bread is far better than white bread as the refining process to make the flour white strips much of the nutrients and fiber from the grains.

I would hazard a guess that your hot dog would have been in a white roll and though you didn't each much of it or the meat, there are better sources of protein you could have made LOL :D Few that would have tasted better though.

You are a few weeks out now so I reckon if you want to add a little bread into your diet then in moderation it should be OK. For me bread was a trigger food that led me to make food choices. Even at a year out I only eat it very occasionally.

Your procedure gave you the chance to have a new healthy life, and if you do your bit you can change your life for the better in ways I could only dream of this time last year. But you did this to give you a better life, not a life sentence if you want a hot dog every now and again then have one :)

As Alan said make a note of the times you make bad choices and see if a pattern is forming. If you find like some here have that the bad foods are creeping in more often then that is the time to come here for a butt kicking :D

There are entire countries that live on bread. Saying it's nutritionally nothing is not true. The entire country of The Netherlands eats bread for breakfast and lunch, every single day, and they're some of the healthiest people in the world... and thin!

Really? I've spent a fair bit of time in Holland over the last fifteen years through work and have seen and worked with plenty of overweight people there :confused:

Indeed a recent report by RVZ claimed that 40% of the Dutch nation are overweight with 10% considered obese. There are grave concerns regarding the implications of the trend toward unhealthy lifestyles in the Netherlands. Indeed it is claimed that they are only 10 years away from following the obesity trend current in the USA.

I wonder if this has anything at all to do with "Living on bread" ;)

Haven't had Manwich, but...

70 Calories per 1/4 cup serving and 5 gms of protein isn't too bad. For me I would pass based on the 310 gms of sodium. Salt makes me puff up.

A better recipe would be to make a turkey chili and use "Lite Salt" which is potassium chloride, and skip putting any sugar. I recommend Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili mix, but throw the salt packet away.

Serve it on a piece of double fiber whole wheat bread, garnish with a little shredded cheddar cheese and fresh chopped onion and "Viola!" Magnifique! High Protein, low fat, no sodium, low carb AND 5 gms of fiber! How does it get better than that? And almost as easy as opening the can. If you gotta have the sweet taste like Manwich you can add some Splenda, but sweet isn't my vice.

Bon appetite!

Sadly that's the trend of the entire world. And as we become more and more focused on making money instead of taking care of ourselves, it gets worse and worse. But at least in the part of the country I live there is only one other obese person in this town that I've seen. There might be a couple overweight people, but the majority are thin and tall.

I know that there is a worldwide trend toward obesity through obese lifestyles, which is why I was surprised by your post that stated that the Dutch people are some of the healthiest in the world, because that is simply not the case. I have no idea how many people live in the town where you are but in the major towns and cities where I have spent a great deal of time, there are just as many overweight people as you would find anywhere else in Europe.

You further claimed that "they are thin" yet eat bread with two of their meals everyday. I believe that this statement from a community leader might be misconstrued that you were advocating that bread is an acceptable staple food, which it is not.

I'd say the average Dutch person eats 2 pieces of bread for breakfast with something on it (peanutbutter, meat, cheese, etc) for breakfast and lunch. Snacks are granola bars or fruit. Dinner is meat, a potato (6/7 days of the week), a veggie (real veggies! not only corn and green beans), and a veggie sauce. Dessert is yogurt. In the weekend they let themselves have a slice of white bread or a few chips.

Is this the average Dutch person nationwide, or merely in the town where you live that has only two obese people living there? Because again this is not my experience of what the many people I worked with ate each day.

I think for most people as long as you're eating well most of the time, you're doing good. For WLS peeps it's important that we try to focus on protein with every meal, but I don't think it's fair to call all bread nutritionally nothing. Some bread is actually VERY good for you.. full of whole grains and fiber. That white crap is crap and should be seen as a seldom treat tho.

It was an error to state that bread offers nothing nutritionally, however I feel you have taken the post out of context. Yes bread does supply some nutrition but I believe that the OP was merely making the point that it is a bad food choice.

White bread, as was eaten by the thread starter offers a poor return considering the calories it provides when compared against the nutritional value it delivers. You then appear to have used general-isms and unsubstantiated assumptions based upon a seemingly limited knowledge of the health of the Dutch as a nation built upon a town that only contains two obese people. Or have I misread that?

I am further unsure whether your use of the word "crap" falls outside of the new rules on profanity and would ask if you could clarify this for my simple soul. Maybe we could have a list of acceptable swear words posted so we can all use them with impunity. Or am I to simply to take it that as it was used by a moderator it is OK.

Thanks much for your help with this

You further claimed that "they are thin" yet eat bread with two of their meals everyday. I believe that this statement from a community leader might be misconstrued that you were advocating that bread is an acceptable staple food, which it is not.

It was an error to state that bread offers nothing nutritionally, however I feel you have taken the post out of context. Yes bread does supply some nutrition but I believe that the OP was merely making the point that it is a bad food choice.

White bread, as was eaten by the thread starter offers a poor return considering the calories it provides when compared against the nutritional value it delivers.

I am further unsure whether your use of the word "crap" falls outside of the new rules on profanity and would ask if you could clarify this for my simple soul.

Karlos, you hit the nail on the head and really appreciate your feedback. When I was giving my opinion about bread it was directly related to the poster and what she chose at the time. I eat bread, I'm still thin but I eat it rarely, and I chose low calorie high grain bread if Im going to do it. My food bill increased 1/3 since WLS because I will not eat garbage any more. I much rather prefer skipping the dough and eat all the nutritional goodies on the inside, plus less dough = more inside vittles.

The fat I referred to was indeed the fat from the meat. I always look at food combining of the ingredients to gauge my dumping probability. Fats + Sugars + Starchy Cards + Sugar Carbs + Other Oils ... all of these are in varities of food that we often eat together, ie Lasagna, Stews, Etc.

I am warning the OP to be on guard and proactive with that.

I asked Kel about the "C" word last night, she said the moderators are inquiring and will know more soon. I asked if it was okay to use the C or P word on our profile pages as well.

Keep rockin' Karlos.

I think everyone can agree that white bread is not the healthiest thing someone could choose to eat. I certainly would not recommend eating a slice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I would not recommend eating it every day. But the OP said she ate 1/2 a hot dog bun and that this was the first time she had white bread in four months. 1/2 a hot dog bun every four months is not going to do any harm. It's just not. It's not going to keep you from getting enough protein, it's not going to make you gain weight or keep you from losing weight.

And yeah, the Manwich had a lot of sodium. I would not eat that much sodium at every meal. But every once in a while? I just don't see the problem.

One of the reasons I had WLS was so I could be healthier, and of course that means making healthy food choices most of the time. But it doesn't mean every single thing I ever eat must be very, very healthy. And another reason I had WLS was because I wanted to be "normal." Normal people eat hot dog buns sometimes. They eat stuff with sodium sometimes. They just don't eat tons of it every day.

Kelly

I think everyone can agree that white bread is not the healthiest thing someone could choose to eat. I certainly would not recommend eating a slice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I would not recommend eating it every day. But the OP said she ate 1/2 a hot dog bun and that this was the first time she had white bread in four months. 1/2 a hot dog bun every four months is not going to do any harm. It's just not. It's not going to keep you from getting enough protein, it's not going to make you gain weight or keep you from losing weight.

And yeah, the Manwich had a lot of sodium. I would not eat that much sodium at every meal. But every once in a while? I just don't see the problem.

One of the reasons I had WLS was so I could be healthier, and of course that means making healthy food choices most of the time. But it doesn't mean every single thing I ever eat must be very, very healthy. And another reason I had WLS was because I wanted to be "normal." Normal people eat hot dog buns sometimes. They eat stuff with sodium sometimes. They just don't eat tons of it every day.

Kelly

The OP is only four months post op! She asked if she did something wrong, no she didnt but it wasnt great. We are showing her how to make better choices, things to think about long term not giving a reasons to keep doing it again. Overall wellness, preparing, learning ... thats what the feedback is about, not justifying why it's okay to keep doing it.

I would it eat. I unfortunately was hospitalized last October for being sodium deficient ... no one knows why or how it happened so I must eat high amounts of sodium and dont suffer from high amounts of it. Sodium is the least thing to worry about in your diet, calories, carbs and protein are where the focus should be in your first year.

Well, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think it is OK to keep eating 1/2 a hot dog bun once every four months. The OP can decide whether she thinks it is OK or not.

Kelly

Well, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think it is OK to keep eating 1/2 a hot dog bun once every four months. The OP can decide whether she thinks it is OK or not.

Kelly

I think the point is Kelly that the OP asked if she had made a poor choice in eating half a hot dog four months out. So in doing that she obviously couldn't decide if it was OK or not, or else we wouldn't have had this thread posted.

In the grand scheme of things its not a big issue, however the point has been made that there are better choices that could have been made, and if it progresses from half every four months to a full one each week then it could start to be indicative of problems long term.

No one has had a pop at the OP for what she did, but the question was asked, and so it was answered. As a rule of thumb that I was advised of here a while ago, before I put something in my mouth I ask myself would I be comfortable calling my surgeon and telling him about it. If the answer is no not really then it doesn't go in.

I've had some great advice from the guys here in my time.

Regards

As a rule of thumb that I was advised of here a while ago, before I put something in my mouth I ask myself would I be comfortable calling my surgeon and telling him about it. If the answer is no not really then it doesn't go in.

That's actually a good rule to follow. Did your surgeon tell you that you could never have bread? Mine didn't. Mine said to eat the starchy carbs in moderation only. So I would have no problem telling my surgeon that I had 1/2 a hot dog bun once every four months.

Kelly

That's actually a good rule to follow. Did your surgeon tell you that you could never have bread? Mine didn't. Mine said to eat the starchy carbs in moderation only. So I would have no problem telling my surgeon that I had 1/2 a hot dog bun once every four months.

Kelly

He said don't touch it until you are 12 weeks out and if you can do without it afterward then do so. After talking to Cassie here about this a while ago I've done a great deal of research on simple and complex carbs and seen how they can unravel the work that bypass surgeons do if you allow them to get control of your diet. So I avoid white food wherever I can, and only take the complex carbs I need to fuel me.

I do eat wholemeal bread but half a slice per week is my limit with my baked beans on Sunday morning. A hot dog would send me into a state of total orgasm (Is that word allowed?) especially if it had fried onions and tomato sauce on it, my juices are dribbling down my chin even at the thought of it, but it would take me to dark places that I don't ever want to visit again if that makes any sense. :o

So for me its not so much that the OP ate half of one or a bucket full, its that they wanted to at all. Again not a criticism each to their own. If you are happy to eat that stuff in moderation then great good luck with it Kelly xx

It's funny how this becomes like the telephone game. She did not eat half a hot dog. She ate half a hot dog bun with a ground beef and sauce mixture in it. Think chili with no beans in half a hot dog bun.

It's funny how this becomes like the telephone game. She did not eat half a hot dog. She ate half a hot dog bun with a ground beef and sauce mixture in it. Think chili with no beans in half a hot dog bun.

I ate the hot dog with colonel mustard in the study....

Hot dog bun was not your best bet, i'd stay away from it in the future... It may be easy now, but itll come back to bite you very quickly 2-3 yrs out. with 2-3 of those buns go down. Not to mention, filling yourself up with carbs like that are not putting any nutrition in you, and you want to stick with stuff that has protein and nutrition... not void crap in your belly.