Highlandlass

Unexplained pain

22 posts in this topic

Hi, A while back I chimed in on a thread Bama wrote about his pain he was experiencing and said I too was having discomfort and was going to see the surgeon. Well, I had that appointment this afternoon. I am still getting this colicky pain in my upper right side - exactly where the gall blader would be if I hadn't had it removed years ago. The doctor doesn't think its anything serious but is having me go for a CAT scan on my abdomen. The other strange thing that is accompanying this is that my stools are a dark green colour - could be bile. I had an ultra sound last year and there was a cyst on my liver at that time - it could also have gotten larger. So, for now I still don't know what is causing the constant pain - at least it is bearable, although I had a very bad evening 2 weeks ago when I thought my appendix or ovary had burst - after 2 hours of searing hot pain in my lower right quadrant I was stricken with explosive diarhea. That pain has not returned (thank goodness) so it may have been something I ate.

Well I'm glad you were able to see the doctor. I had read in Bama's thread that you were having some problems.

I really have no idea what it is... my two thoughts are either liver or kidneys... more liver area though. The CAT scan is a really god idea.

Really I can't add anything to what you already have said. Yes, the green, poopoo is probably bile.. again leading me to liver since your gallbladder is gone. ARE YOU SURE THEY REMOVED IT? And not just the stones? It sounds SO much like gallbladder problems...???!!!

So I will keep praying that all comes back clear and the pain disappears. You know something that I have learned since I started my journey of midwifery? Medical providers don't know everything! AND that almost always when you are diagnosed with something we are guessing. We start with the most likely or easiest to treat and work our way up. So if you aren't getting better ALWAYS go back to the doctors. BUT something else.... medical providers just don't know everything... really there is so much more to learn.

I hope you start feeling better soon. HUGS

Oh Rhonda. I hope everything is ok. When is the Cat scan ? Will be praying for you.

Hmm, the bile issue is a concern. Do keep us posted!

Interestingly enough my dentist said my jaw bones did not look as dense as she would like to see and I told her my Calcium Citrate intake and she asked of I was having a hard time with stones as she got them whenever she took calcium supplements. Hmmmmm. Made me think. Between the weight loss and the calcium citrate intake we may be stone machines.

I, too have no gallbladder- a victim of a previous weight loss-but I had a mild attack a week ago, go figure!

Rhonda, I hate to hear you are hurting. I sure hope it's something easy to fix.

Please keep us posted.

Hi Rhonda ..

I feel for you hun The pain is just dreadful.. glad your taking heed and not ignoring pain like I stated on my thread .

Hope u get it resolved asap luv and good luck with the cat scan .

Keep us updated and keep on at them if the pain continues ...

Best Regards

Sara x

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Rhonda.

I hope the CT scan shows something sweetheart.

I haven't got anything to offer other than to tell you I'm thinking of you and sending a gentle cyber hug.

Keep us posted, sounds like your doc is on top of things!!

Feel better

Rain

Hope you feel better soon, keep us posted.

Thank you so much ladies - I am sure the gall bladder is gone - I have the same surgeon and he promises me he took it out! He is the Chief of Abdomenal Surgery and Bariatrics at the hospital, so I have to trust him (he's darned cute too - not that that makes him any smarter!) I haven't got a date for the scan yet but will keep you all posted - thanks for the well wishes. Its tolerable but does bother me most when the pain goes through to the back. But then again, I'm a tough downtown girl, so I can take it! lol:)

I'm the type that always imagines the worst.. I hope they find the source soon, hon.. and that it's an easy fix!

Good Luck Rhonda on your CT scan....you are in my prayers.

Thank you Kel and Nancy! I'm overwhelmed by all the replies I've received....:)

Well, only 3 weeks later and I finally have a C.T. scan booked for March 11 at 9:15 a.m. to see what this pain is being cause by. I hope they see something or I'll think I'm a little nuts having daily pain from nothing at all - as long as it not something serious!!!

So, saw the surgeon on February 12 and ge the C.T. scan on Mar 11 - almost a month....that seems like a long wait to me. And, I had to call Diagnostic Imaging myself to get this date - a new system was being installed at the hospital for the bookings - but I guess my being impatient and finally calling myself got me somewhere.

Now, someone please tell me where I am (lol) !!! :)

Rhonda,

That does seem like a long time to wait! I pray it is nothing serious, but hope they can find what is causing the discomfort. Please keep us posted and feel better soon!

Also I love your new photo! WOW your eyes just pop out, Beautiful lady!

Ellie

Thank you Ellie - and thanks for the compliment - my eyes have always been my favourite feature! :)

Well, only 3 weeks later and I finally have a C.T. scan booked for March 11 at 9:15 a.m. to see what this pain is being cause by. I hope they see something or I'll think I'm a little nuts having daily pain from nothing at all - as long as it not something serious!!!

So, saw the surgeon on February 12 and ge the C.T. scan on Mar 11 - almost a month....that seems like a long wait to me. And, I had to call Diagnostic Imaging myself to get this date - a new system was being installed at the hospital for the bookings - but I guess my being impatient and finally calling myself got me somewhere.

Now, someone please tell me where I am (lol) !!! :)

Well, I'm glad you at least have a date now. I hope you get better soon. Hugs

I do hope you are OK!! I really think you are grand (you said something nice about my writing once, so forever are in my heart). :)

Do let us know what is going on. I love this forum and people sharing their experiences. It is so helpful to know that some of the things one goes through after WLS are not totally uncommon (and a lot of the time are nothing serious and will pass with time). I sure hope that is the case with your mysterious pain.

Best,

Allene

Sorry you are feeling bad Rhonda. :( Beth (MiladyB) had a problem that sounds very similar to yours. I can't remember the details, but it had something to do with sludge in the bile ducts (which are not removed when they take a gallbladder out). Try searching some of her old posts and you can probably find where she wrote about it.

Why thank you very much!!! I'm hoping the CT scan next week lets us know what the heck is causing the pain in my upper R quadrant - if it comes back negative then what??? hmmm :)

Sorry you are feeling bad Rhonda. :( Beth (MiladyB) had a problem that sounds very similar to yours. I can't remember the details, but it had something to do with sludge in the bile ducts (which are not removed when they take a gallbladder out). Try searching some of her old posts and you can probably find where she wrote about it.

Thanks Sherry - I'll have a look at Beth's threads and see if I can find that!!! :)

Hi Rhonda. I just found this post. What did the CT scan reveal? What was wrong? I assume/hope after all this time your doing great.