• Surgeon:Dr. Gregory Barns
  • Hospital:Baylor South West Medical Center, Ft. Worth
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:156
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):45+
  • Surgery Date:01/20/2010

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

I am posting this in the "long term" forum because I thought I would get a better response than from the "post-op" forum because you guys have been at it a lot longer than us newbies... I am 2.5 weeks post op.

I am sick sick sick... Bronchitis and upper respiratory infection and ear infection. on top of that, I have chronic asthma i have has since age 1. My PCP prescribed me a Z-pack and prednisone but told me to call my surgeon about taking the prednisone. He said " theoretically, no you shouldn't be taking prednisone untill 6 months or m ore out of surgery. But, In this case as you can't breathe i'm going to give it the go a head but I have to warn you it may cause bleeding just continue with the pepcid and nexium" #%$??? BLEEDING!??? So here's my questions....

A) Have any of you had to take prednisone after Gastric Bypass?... and

B) How come I don't feel any better since starting the antibiotics 4 days ago? After GBP do I absorb less of the antibiotics? I would normally be feeling better by now. :(

Thanks in advance for any replies.

aaand I JUST started to lose weight after surgery and I know to expect about 5 or so lbs weight gain from the steroids. :( bummer!
before post op diet-- 267
day of GBP ---------- 246
current -------------- 156

111 lbs GONE!!!

goal-140:)

Gastric Bypass: 01/20/2010
2/09/2010--- back in pre-pregnancy jeans! After 7 months! Size 18
3/11/2010--- 50 POUNDS GONE & six week post op appointment!
4/16/2010--- ONEDERLAND!!! 199!

#2 jerseygrl684

jerseygrl684

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. A- my hero :)
  • Hospital:northern NJ one- just ask
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:115
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.2
  • Surgery Date:11/26/2007

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

I was on prednisone in July to reduce swelling.. I was on heavy doses of it, but it didn't get any additional weight. I lost weight on mine, but I was a different situtation. You may have to try different antibiotics and it takes some time.

Keep up on your water, keep up with the meds & don't worry about the additional weight. There's a nasty cold going around that I can't kick either.

I am posting this in the "long term" forum because I thought I would get a better response than from the "post-op" forum because you guys have been at it a lot longer than us newbies... I am 2.5 weeks post op.

I am sick sick sick... Bronchitis and upper respiratory infection and ear infection. on top of that, I have chronic asthma i have has since age 1. My PCP prescribed me a Z-pack and prednisone but told me to call my surgeon about taking the prednisone. He said " theoretically, no you shouldn't be taking prednisone untill 6 months or m ore out of surgery. But, In this case as you can't breathe i'm going to give it the go a head but I have to warn you it may cause bleeding just continue with the pepcid and nexium" #%$??? BLEEDING!??? So here's my questions....

A) Have any of you had to take prednisone after Gastric Bypass?... and

B) How come I don't feel any better since starting the antibiotics 4 days ago? After GBP do I absorb less of the antibiotics? I would normally be feeling better by now. :(

Thanks in advance for any replies.

aaand I JUST started to lose weight after surgery and I know to expect about 5 or so lbs weight gain from the steroids. :( bummer!

248/227-highest & day of surgery
128(back from my lowest of 103)-current

If you are looking for puppies & rainbows look elsewhere, i'm not interested in feeding your crappy choices and coddling you. :)

#3 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Prednisone is a steroid. Steroids are known to possibly cause ulcers in anyone, wls or not. We are MUCH more prone to ulcers after having a RNY and that is even without taking steroids or NSAIDs. So yes, you run the risk of ulcers developing, which could bleed, if you are taking the Prednisone. The thing is though, that you have to be able to breath. Plain and simple. Predisone is the most effective way of clearing up the inflammation. Yes, you should let your bariatric surgeon know and you should certainly stay on your protectants.

In regards to the antibiotic you may have trouble effectively absorbing it, especially if it is a time released med, which a Z-pack is. If it isn't working for you let your doctor know you may need to be on a different antibiotic. Also you may absorb a liquid antibiotic better.

Edited by MiladyB, 07 February 2010 - 07:17 PM.

~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#4 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:149
  • Surgery Date:05/29/2008

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Prednisone is a steroid. Steroids are known to possibly cause ulcers in anyone, wls or not. We are MUCH more prone to ulcers after having a RNY and that is even without taking steroids or NSAIDs. So yes, you run the risk of ulcers developing, which could bleed, if you are taking the Prednisone. The thing is though, that you have to be able to breath. Plain and simple. Predisone is the most effective way of clearing up the inflammation. Yes, you should let your bariatric surgeon know and you should certainly stay on your protectants.

In regards to the antibiotic you may have trouble effectively absorbing it, especially if it is a time released med, which a Z-pack is. If it isn't working for you let your doctor know you may need to be on a different antibiotic. Also you may absorb a liquid antibiotic better.

I had bronchitis recently, and the Z-pack didn't work for me...now I know why! I ended up taking another antibiotic (Omnicef?) and had an inhaler. My husband also caught it, and he had Z-pack, a prescription cough syrup, and Mucinex. Then my son got it (yes, we like to share illnesses at my house, lol), and he was prescribed Prednisone, Mucinex, and Sudafed. I thought it was funny that we have 3 different doctors, and all 3 treated it totally different.

Perhaps an inhaler would would similar to the Prednisone as far as helping to clear your lungs?
What did YOU eat today? Join your fellow TT'ers by posting at:
What did you eat yesterday (or today)?

Lap RNY -05/29/08
274 orientation/253 day of surgery/151 current/149 goal
Total pounds gone - 122

#5 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

I had bronchitis recently, and the Z-pack didn't work for me...now I know why! I ended up taking another antibiotic (Omnicef?) and had an inhaler. My husband also caught it, and he had Z-pack, a prescription cough syrup, and Mucinex. Then my son got it (yes, we like to share illnesses at my house, lol), and he was prescribed Prednisone, Mucinex, and Sudafed. I thought it was funny that we have 3 different doctors, and all 3 treated it totally different.

Perhaps an inhaler would would similar to the Prednisone as far as helping to clear your lungs?

Inhalers don't have the side effect of possible ulcers or bleeding. So they would be okay to use.
~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#6 MrsLazaro

MrsLazaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Bedford
  • Surgeon:Dr. Scott Shikora
  • Hospital:Tufts Medical Center in Boston
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:188
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.3
  • Surgery Date:06/22/2011

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

I actually didn't know any of this, I have just been diagnosed with Central Adrenal Insufficiency AFTER the Gastric Bypass. I am on prednisone for the rest of my life, looks like I am going to have to scream at my doctors even more than I already have. I'll be post op 6 months as of Dec 22, and I have been on them for about two months already.. I don't even think I'm getting the prednisone as my cortisol levels are still extremely low! This stinks :( If you want to learn more about Adrenal Insufficiency add me on Facebook Adrenal Insufficiency Massachusetts PLEASE people have your surgeons and stuff check your cortisol levels once in a while after a major surgery like this.. you will know why if you see the Facebook.. the illness isn't wishes on even my worst enemy :(