• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Songbird

Massive stomach pain! What is this?

35 posts in this topic

This is the second time I've had this pain...a few weeks apart. I get this terrible gas pain in center of my stomach...about where my pouch is, I'm guessing...below my chest. It feels stuck, and I can't even stand straight. The last time it lasted all day and night. Eventually, it went away the next day. I have it again today. I know it might be because I ate a lot of stuff yesterday that I wasn't supposed to. So, today, I've been eating healthy...but nothing is helping. What is this? I don't know if it's gallbladder because it's in the center of my stomach area....any ideas? It's so painful!:confused:

My gallbladder problems started in the area between my breast bone and belly button.

My advice is that you go see your doctor about it asap.

When I had gall bladder attacks, I thought it was my stomach. I know for some people, they feel the pain in the upper right par tof their abdomen, but not me. I thought I had food poisoning b/c I thought I had stomach cramps. And the pain was BAD. Like labor--I was literally writhing. I would def consider the possibility that's what you're dealing with given how common it is.

Is it gallbladder if it only happens a few times? Does it usually flare up when you eat something greasy? I'm not sure what to look for. I will email my RNY nurse, though. Thanks!

My gallbladder problems started in the area between my breast bone and belly button.

My advice is that you go see your doctor about it asap.

What was the pain like? Was it bubbly/gassy?

When I had gallstones, I only had two episodes of pain and they were a couple weeks apart. I had nausea almost all the time, though. But the point is, yes, it could be your gallbladder even if it doesn't happen often. If it is your gallbladder, chances are the episodes of pain will start happening more and more often. But I wouldn't wait for that, personally. I'd see the doc about it now.

Kelly

Is it gallbladder if it only happens a few times? Does it usually flare up when you eat something greasy? I'm not sure what to look for. I will email my RNY nurse, though. Thanks!

When I went to the dr, I told her that I was having repeated episodes of the stomach flu or food poisoning. It happened a few times over a few weeks.

I know...I'm going on about 13 hours of pain....it hurts!

I'm having the EXACT SAME pain/problems. If you figure it out before I do, let me know.

i am not a doctor and i do not play one on tv either...BUT...sounds like gall bladder attack.

i had three attacks and the only thing that helped was to curl up in the fetal position and cry

Yeah...definitely going to the Dr. today...it's 4:05 A.M. and I'm still in pain. My stomach feels raw, and I'm nauseous. I've thought about going to the ER, but my husband says I should try to wait a few hours and go to the Dr instead...the ER bills can get high.

Hope you got some answers from the doctor please keep us updated.

My gallbladder pain was mostly on the right side and reflected up to the back and came with vomiting and nausea.

However, I got this same pain a few weeks ago, I could not walk straight either, and I couldnt pinpoint exactly what was hurting it was like the whole area. I was at work when it hapenned, so I thought of going straight to the ER. Then someone who had surgery told me she had gone thru the same thing about 2 months before and did go to the ER

They did all sorts of CT,s and test and all came back negative - the pain just went away.

I decided to come home, take something for the pain, put a hot water bag on my belly, and laid down and if it didn't go away in a reasonable time I would go to the ER. It went away in 3 hours. Never came back.

I noticed this is happening to a few of us and just as this pain appears it disappears...I personally blamed mine on a new medication I had started. But who knows. I know I did not take it again. I also thought it had to do with the intestine. Not many BM in those days. :eek:

My trip to ER went fast and furious. A CT was inconclusive and the ultrasound on the gallbladder looked OK apart from one area they couldn't get to - they put it down to gas.

I ended up in surgery late and night. My gallbladder was packed with sludge.

Thank you all for the posts! I went to my General Practitioner today because my surgeon wasn't in the office today. He thought it might be an ulcer. I kept in touch with my surgeon's nurse and scheduled an appt. for Monday. Well, after lunch, I had the worst attack EVER! I couldn't walk, sit, stand, anything. I was in so much pain I almost passed out. My husband had to come home and call my nurse for me. She told me I couldn't have anything but liquids, and that I could take the stomach medicine my dr. gave me. I have to see my surgeon at 9AM and get ready to take some tests, if necessary. I'll let you know what they say. My stomach feels so raw, and just cramps. It's so much worse than labor!

That news is terrible. I hope you get some relief fast. Please keep us posted!

Glad to hear you got into a doctor. My gallbladder pain was right under my breast bone. Intially it was just a burning sensation that just kept getting worse. So it could be your gallbladder.

I have also had an ulcer that left me in ALOT of pain which usually came on any time I ate something or even when I drank water. I also had a lot of nausea with the ulcer.

Hopefully you get an answer soon. Personally I would take a gallbladder surgery over the ulcer any day. It took me almost 6 months before I felt better from the ulcer. :(

Just a thought but I experienced a lot of stomach pain, in the center of my chest bone, a feeling like the food was getting stuck.....it was very scary and

uncomfortable as I walked the floors to try to rid myself of the pain...I would

end up vomitting to alleviate the pain......it turned out to be a stricture in my case.....the doctor had to use a scope to view the blockage and treat it.....

Just wanted to give you something to consider asking your doctor about if the

stomach pain continues.....if it's not your gall bladder......you can inquire about a possible stricture......I was helped!!!!!!!!

Good luck.....but don't ignore the pain.....it's the body's way of letting you

know that something isn't right !!!!!! :)

Thank you all very much! I'm leaving soon to see my surgeon. Just pray they can find out what's wrong with me. I'm still in pain!

Good luck, Songbird. I hope they get this figured out today. Thinking of you....

Ugh!!! A cliff hanger!!! What was it??? :D

Yes, songbird, my prayers are with you. Keep us posted. I noticed your surgery was in 08. I was surprised to learn that you can still have a possible gall bladder issue so far out post op. Thats good to know. Thank you for sharing. Get well soon. :)

I have also had an ulcer that left me in ALOT of pain which usually came on any time I ate something or even when I drank water. I also had a lot of nausea with the ulcer.
This was my experience as well.

I had an ultrasound done today. My gallbladder looks good. Most likely, it's an ulcer. I have to get an endoscopy done next Thursday. The Dr. put me on Carafate and I'm on another medicine to help with the ulcer. I haven't had an attack today, so I'm glad about that. Thanks for the prayers!

Has anyone had an ulcer? What was it like? I'm not 100% sure that's what I have. I'll find out Thursday, hopefully.

My ulcer was caused by an old stitch from my surgery working through the lining of my pouch. I had two severe attacks (each after eating) that put me in the ER. Initially I thought that I had eaten something that was causing me to dump, but realized that it was something more pretty quickly. I drove myself to the ER the first time and am lucky that I did not pass out behind the wheel. I ended up with dry heaves. The ER was pretty useless, as they kept giving me anti-nausea medications that did NOTHING. After several hours of this I was eventually given pain meds (diluadid). Once the pain was gone, the nausea was gone. Fortunately, I have a really good gastroentrologist who got me in right away and removed the offending stitch. I was also put on Carafate. My stomach felt pretty raw for 4 or 5 days, but seemed to get back to normal fairly quickly. This happened last September and my follow-up scope a few weeks ago was normal. Anyway, my ulcer was by no means normal, but I've learned that damage to the inside of your pouch hurts A LOT and should be avoided at all cost!!

My ulcer started out as nausea with a burning sensation under my breastbone. It advanced to total colon spasms that had me buckled over. I felt like I was in labor. My entire abdomen was tense. The only thing that relieved the pain was Dilaudid. I ended up in ER and then admitted for 6 days. Things were complicated by the fact that I was on Coumadin and they were afraid I might be bleeding. Also my surgeon didn't want to scope me until I was off the Coumadin for 5 days. I couldn't eat anything without being in severe pain. I ended back on a liquid diet and was started on Carafate, Pepcid and Cytotec. That was 6 months ago and I am still on the Pepcid and Cytotec. Ulcers can take a really long time to heal. I haven't been re-scoped but I had abdominal discomfort for a good 5 months. It wasn't as severe as before but I didn't really feel good.

No real cause was found for my ulcer. I was even on Prilosec when I got it. My surgeon's theory is that the food doesn't move threw my upper intestines real well so it kind of backed up and irritated my stoma. So I will more than likely be on the Cytotec for life.