• Surgeon:Dr. Gregory Barns
  • Hospital:Baylor South West Medical Center, Ft. Worth
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:156
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):45+
  • Surgery Date:01/20/2010

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

I have been out of the hospital since last night and I am 3 days post op. So far I can get 1 protein drink down (42g of protein) and about 4 oz. of chicken broth and 8 oz. of water.. so that's about 16 oz of fluid a day! My dr. told me to take tiny sips of water all day long. I feel like I can take 1oz. sips just fine. Is that too big of a sip for now? I am afraid I am drinking to much at once??? So I try to really slow down... and before I know it it;s bed time and I have had no water!

Any tips on getting the water down? LET ME KNOW!!! :o
before post op diet-- 267
day of GBP ---------- 246
current -------------- 156

111 lbs GONE!!!

goal-140:)

Gastric Bypass: 01/20/2010
2/09/2010--- back in pre-pregnancy jeans! After 7 months! Size 18
3/11/2010--- 50 POUNDS GONE & six week post op appointment!
4/16/2010--- ONEDERLAND!!! 199!

#2 loki8481

loki8481

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Chau
  • Hospital:princeton medical center
  • Start Weight:406
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2008

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

just sip. if you take too big of a gulp, you'll feel uncomfortable for a minute but I can't imagine normal water consumption stretching out your pouch.

you should be getting 64 ounces of water in a day, ideally (I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect, but even on my bad days, I'm still usually at ~40 oz). I was one of the many who got hit with dehydration when I was like 5 days post-op and it sucked having to go back to the hospital to spend a day and a half just sitting in a bed on an IV drip (with a robe that didn't even cover me, and who the @~$& knows why they made me take off my clothes... I was fricken freezing and couldn't get a nurse to bring me a blanket)
~Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

goal #1: 225 pounds (my weight freshman year of high school) -- reached on 9/13/09
goal #2: onderville (199) -- reached on 11/19/09
goal #3: normal BMI (173) -- reached on 2/27/10

Milestones:

12/04: pre-op diet start (406)
12/18: surgery (383)
04/11: twoterville! (299)
11/19: onederland! (199)

#3 Laureate

Laureate

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee
  • Surgeon:Mark Colquitt
  • Hospital:Blount Memorial Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:328
  • Current Weight:179
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:10/26/09
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

Set a timer and take a sip every five minutes -- with some breaks built in.

People who get dehydrated set themselves up for nausea and vomiting, which makes the dehydration worse -- and then you are back in the hospital -- if you are lucky.

Some people have died of dehydration -- their electrolytes get out of whack and their heartbeat goes crazy.

Whatever it takes to get your fluids in -- do it.

I'm not trying to scare you but take care of you!

#4 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Your protein drink is a fluid, too, so you're getting more than 16 ounces a day. If one ounce at a time is comfortable for you, then it's fine. You can drink as much or as fast as is comfortable. If you drink too fast or take big gulps, it will probably feel bad. You can't stretch your pouch or damage your pouch by drinking, though.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#5 DenMomLT

DenMomLT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Hospital:Poway/Pomerado
  • Start Weight:291
  • Current Weight:209
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.3
  • Surgery Date:01/05/2010

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Fear not...if you can handle more than a sip...go for it. I had absolutely no problem with liquids after surgery...could drink 16-20 ounces of water in an hour. I was worried that something was wrong with my pouch. My doctor, my nurse, and my dietician all told me the same thing...liquids are going to go straight through, so you're not stretching out your pouch...it's a tube. I accidentally took a "gulp" at 3 days post-op and won't make that mistake again, but I still don't have any issues with liquids. Good luck! And drink your water!!!
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Peg

Peg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Vallina
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:287
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:11/30/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

I didn't have any problem drinking water from the start. I had read so much before surgery about taking little sips of water all day long. I kept forgetting and drank water pretty much like I did before surgery; I can finish a glass in 10 minutes without a problem. If I take a huge gulp I feel a little pressure for a few seconds, but other than that no big deal. I have no problem getting in at least 80 ounces of water a day. If you can handle the bigger sips and it helps you get in your water, go for it.
GOAL at one-year surgiversary!!!
Open RNY on November 30, 2009
High/Surgery/Current/Goal
287 / 272 / 138 / 150
Height 5' 7.5"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Kimmerly

Kimmerly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Boone
  • Hospital:Fresno Heart & Surgical Hospital
  • Start Weight:284
  • Current Weight:203
  • Goal Weight:169
  • Surgery Date:10/22/2009

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

I saw my surgeon for my 3 month post op visit on Thursday. I was told that pre-op, our stomachs are acidic. Post-op, the pouch is alkaline. Water is also alkaline which is why it is so hard for many of us to get water down. Turning the water acidic with lemon or lime juice or adding the various 'stuff' like Crystal Light tames the problem.

As for sipping, at first there was no way I was getting all the fluids I needed. I was used to drinking several ounces at a time and the sipping all day and having to stop before eating and then wait after eating....it all just had me going to bed wondering how in the world I was going to get all the fluids in.

I kept at it and had many, many times of OUCH! I took too big a drink. But before long, I was able to get maybe an ounce in at each drink. Then I worried that I stretched my pouch! lol Never satisfied, eh? lol So, I don't think you can really overdo it. You just drink what feels comfortable.

I stopped worrying about it. I bought a bottle of water - the 33 point something ounce size. I also bought a package of Diet Peach Snapple packets to add to it. Two packets to a bottle.

My rule is that I must finish the bottle by the end of the day. That's my minimum fluid intake. Since I'll also have a cup of coffee or maybe a sugar free hot chocolate somewhere in there during the day or a protein drink...you get the idea...I'm getting much closer to the 64 ounces each day. For me, though, the almost 34 ounce bottle is enough to have me peeing clear and not feeling dehydrated.

I also find I drink a lot of water during the night. My mouth gets dry or I get up and go to the bathroom, come back and drink water...so I'm getting in more fluids that I really calculate. <shrug> It's a method that works for me that I dont have to think about.

If nature had intended our skeletons to be visible it would have put them on the outside of our bodies.

#8 Psimer

Psimer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Carl Lowe
  • Hospital:Presbyterian
  • Start Weight:340
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:06/18/2010

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

I bought a bunch of the tiny Dixie cups. Each is three ounces. I am thinking I need to get one down every hour or so. In a 10 hour day that 33 ounces and the rest will have to come from the other things I drink. It's a good way to determine how much you are drinking.

#9 Pandies211

Pandies211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Stephen Yood
  • Hospital:Newton-Wellesley
  • Start Weight:257
  • Current Weight:154
  • Surgery Date:12/14/2009

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

i was scared right after surgery that i was going to drink to fast and i didnt want to know what it felt like when i did.. which made me drink very slow, and i wasnt getting enough and i knew it. so i tried a little more and i learned my limit, and if i do drink a little to much its just uncomfortable for a min. it doesnt last long. i have gulped alot not thinking and it didnt stay down long, but again nothing that i thought it was going to feel like.
i use kid sippy cups, you cant drink to fast! :) its great and they are awesome in the middle of the night when you wake up thirsty.. even half alseep you cant drink to fast :)

i also use juice and water, just for taste.. i buy the cans of welch's (just make sure it says NO SUGAR ADDED) and make it with double the water

good luck