quilterpam

Potassium replacement and foods rich in potassium

4 posts in this topic

I know I didn't spell that right! My doctor said that I was low in potassium and gave me some liquid to drink every day, a real pain in the neck. I looked up pot in foods and it in alot of fruits and veggies. I have not eaten much of either since the surgery (9-28-09). My question is, can my pouch absorb the potassium in these foods or will I have to drink the liquid?:confused:

Edited by John

Thanks for that useful info, Karen.

I know I didn't spell that right! My doctor said that I was low in potassium and gave me some liquid to drink every day, a real pain in the neck. I looked up pot in foods and it in alot of fruits and veggies. I have not eaten much of either since the surgery (9-28-09). My question is, can my pouch absorb the potassium in these foods or will I have to drink the liquid?:confused:

I have taken prescription potassium for several years, even before WLS. I once figured out that I would have to eat 48 bananas each day to equal the amount of potassium I get in the 2 pills I take. So for me, a supplement is definitely necessary.

Low potassium can be very dangerous, and can damage your heart. It's nothing to mess around with. I ended up in the hospital twice, getting it pumped in by IV, because I was negligent in taking the pills (this was pre-WLS). I finally wised up and started taking it like I was supposed to, and my levels have been okay since then. I still get them checked every 6 months though, and continue to take the prescription supplement.