• Surgeon:Dr. Hannan
  • Hospital:height 4'11.5"
  • Start Weight:219
  • Current Weight:143
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:09/28/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

I know I didn't spell that right! My doctor said that I was low in potassium and gave me some liquid to drink every day, a real pain in the neck. I looked up pot in foods and it in alot of fruits and veggies. I have not eaten much of either since the surgery (9-28-09). My question is, can my pouch absorb the potassium in these foods or will I have to drink the liquid?:confused:

Edited by John, 24 January 2010 - 06:10 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly....
on a broomstick....
We're flexible that way!

#2 Karen Merdinger

Karen Merdinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

You have asked a very good question. Id like to break the answer down into parts. First there is the issue of bringing your potassium level back into the normal range, and second there is question of maintaining it there with the minimal amount of medication if any.

Since low blood potassium is associated with muscle weakness, mental confusion, and may adversely affect your heart it is important that you follow your doctors recommendation and take the potassium replacement as prescribed. You wont be able to get enough from your foods to get the job done without the supplement.

Then there is the matter of keeping your potassium in the normal range. You are right that potassium is found in green leafy vegetables and fruits. Some that I would suggest include spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, and cantaloupe.

Heart healthy V-8 juice contains more potassium and less sodium, so that is also a good choice. The good news is that potassium is absorbed in the small intestine and perhaps in the right colon, so you should be able to take in the potassium in your food after bariatric surgery.

If you are on a diuretic such as Lasix or hydrochlothiazide (HCTZ), your kidneys will secrete potassium. You may well need a potassium supplement as prescribed. You can minimize the amount of replacement or perhaps eliminate the need by eating potassium rich foods. Discuss this with your doctor. She or he will measure your potassium level from time to time, and will tell you if you need a supplement.

One warning: dont use over the counter potassium supplements on your own. Only use what your doctor prescribes. Its hard to get too much potassium though your diet, but you can overdose on over the counter supplements. High potassium levels can cause heart problems and in the extreme can be lethal. You wont over dose on fruits and vegetables, so dont worry there!

#3 ardita

ardita

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Start Weight:217
  • Current Weight:161
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.4
  • Surgery Date:04/29/2009
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for that useful info, Karen.

Inspiration from TT friends:

Alleusion: "YOUR best may not be MY best."

SweetP: "Be grateful for what you have; not ungrateful for what you don't have."

Kantonucci: "I refuse to dig my own grave with my knife and fork."

LisaM: "When I was sated emotionally, I was no longer starving physically.... Find out what you're really hungry for... It may not be food."

Cynthia:"There is never a mistake too big to change, never a misstep that cannot be corrected, and there is never a wrong time to start over."

(and someone had a great quote about not letting immediate gratification derail long term goals-but I cant remember who or exactly the wording. It was good, though...)

BMI=27.4. Just overweight. It's happening!

#4 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:149
  • Surgery Date:05/29/2008

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

I know I didn't spell that right! My doctor said that I was low in potassium and gave me some liquid to drink every day, a real pain in the neck. I looked up pot in foods and it in alot of fruits and veggies. I have not eaten much of either since the surgery (9-28-09). My question is, can my pouch absorb the potassium in these foods or will I have to drink the liquid?:confused:

I have taken prescription potassium for several years, even before WLS. I once figured out that I would have to eat 48 bananas each day to equal the amount of potassium I get in the 2 pills I take. So for me, a supplement is definitely necessary.

Low potassium can be very dangerous, and can damage your heart. It's nothing to mess around with. I ended up in the hospital twice, getting it pumped in by IV, because I was negligent in taking the pills (this was pre-WLS). I finally wised up and started taking it like I was supposed to, and my levels have been okay since then. I still get them checked every 6 months though, and continue to take the prescription supplement.
What did YOU eat today? Join your fellow TT'ers by posting at:
What did you eat yesterday (or today)?

Lap RNY -05/29/08
274 orientation/253 day of surgery/151 current/149 goal
Total pounds gone - 122