Rebecca_K

Calcium Conundrum

40 posts in this topic

I too did not like taking and chewing those large horse pills they call Calium tablets. I came across a liquid supplement I have now been taking for over a year. It is called "Wellesse Calcium & Vitamin D3".

It comes in 16 oz bottles with 1 oz = 1000 mg calcium citrate (Calcium as Calcium Citrate and Tricalcium Phosphate) and 1000 IU of Vitamin D (Vitamin D as Cholecalciferol).

Here is the site online:

http://www.drugstore.com/wellesse-calcium-and-vitamin-d3/qxp154626?catid=47604&fromsrch=Wellesse#pr-header-154626

It cost 6.79 for a 16 oz bottle on this site (same price on Amazon, but must be bought as package of 2).

A number of the reviews of the product come from post-GBP patients, and from what I have read, all those reviews are positive.

It does contain artificial sweetner....

Cheers

Tricalcium Phosphate is a pretty pathetic form of calcium and it isn't absorbed well by anyone let alone a gastric bypass patient. And with Wellesse only showing a combined calcium citrate/tricalcium phosphate content, it's impossible to determine the breakdown.

Tropical Oasis have Liquid Calcium Magnesium: http://www.vitacost.com/Tropical-Oasis-Liquid-Calcium-Magnesium

Tricalcium Phosphate is a pretty pathetic form of calcium and it isn't absorbed well by anyone let alone a gastric bypass patient. And with Wellesse only showing a combined calcium citrate/tricalcium phosphate content, it's impossible to determine the breakdown.

Tropical Oasis have Liquid Calcium Magnesium: http://www.vitacost.com/Tropical-Oasis-Liquid-Calcium-Magnesium

Thanks for the information about tricalcium phosphate. I will see if I can find out about the percentages from Wellesse ASAP. Hopefully they are low for the tricalcium....

Switching to the example you gave would mean I would have to start taking Vit D caps as well or go back to those horrible chewables......

Found this on the Wellesse website in their FAQ:

Q: What is the percentage of Calcium Citrate and Tricalcium Phosphate in the Liquid Calcium?

A: Wellesse Liquid Calcium with Vitamin D3 contains 70% calcium citrate and 30% phosphate. Phosphate placed with Calcium Citrate is the most appropriate combination for a well suspended calcium that is also readily absorbable by the body. There is 1000 mg of elemental calcium per serving.

....... So I guess they formulated it that way in liquid. I'm gonna stick to it and maybe drink a little more, although I have not had any problems with my Ca or Vit D in the year I have been using this product.... Whether it means I am really getting only 700 or 1000 mgs, I do not really know.....

Found this on the Wellesse website in their FAQ:

Q: What is the percentage of Calcium Citrate and Tricalcium Phosphate in the Liquid Calcium?

A: Wellesse Liquid Calcium with Vitamin D3 contains 70% calcium citrate and 30% phosphate. Phosphate placed with Calcium Citrate is the most appropriate combination for a well suspended calcium that is also readily absorbable by the body. There is 1000 mg of elemental calcium per serving.

....... So I guess they formulated it that way in liquid. I'm gonna stick to it and maybe drink a little more, although I have not had any problems with my Ca or Vit D in the year I have been using this product.... Whether it means I am really getting only 700 or 1000 mgs, I do not really know.....

Tri-calcium phosphate has an absorption rate similar to calcium carbonate which is poorly absorbed by us because it requires stomach acid for better absorption: http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Ca-De/Calcium.html

Page 7 of this asmbs.org shows the recommendation for calcium citrate of 1500-2,000mg/day (dietary and supplemental calcium intake 1700

mg/d may be required to prevent bone loss during rapid weight loss): http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/GuidelinesStatements/Guidelines/bgs_final.pdf

With Wellesse Liquid Calcium providing a combined total 500mg per tablespoon, 3 tbsp will give you 1050mg of calcium citrate and 450mg tricalcium citrate, I'd be inclined to take an extra tablespoon every 3rd day or so to offset the potential shortfall.

If it works for you, carry on taking it but be sure to arrange to have a DEXA scan. Bloodwork will only determine level of calcium in your blood - not what's stored in your bones. "Keep in mind that low calcium intake has very little impact on calcium blood levels. Most of the body's calcium is stored in the bones, which can release whatever amounts are needed to maintain adequate blood levels".

It took me many months to be able to swallow the calcium tablets. I found when I cut them, sometimes I felt the edge scratch my throat. Even though they are huge, they go down easier in full form.

A NIH Fact sheet on everything you wanted to know about Calcium.

The amount from certain foods is very helpful......

http://midwiferyservices.org/Calcium%20Fact%20Sheet%20NIH.pdf

I tried the calcium celebrate Choco calcets and they were delicious. I went to buy some and couldnt believe how much they were! I think it came out to around 40-45 a month! And that is for one vitamin, then I have the 60 a month for my other celebrates. Eek!

I tried the calcium celebrate Choco calcets and they were delicious. I went to buy some and couldnt believe how much they were! I think it came out to around 40-45 a month! And that is for one vitamin, then I have the 60 a month for my other celebrates. Eek!

The calcets are pricey.. if you have the means to use the, well.. lucky you :) But if not, you could do what a few of us do... use them once a day for a chocolate or lemony treat... and then use another forum of calcium.. once you're able to use swallow pills instead of chewable, a good standard calcium citrate can work. I've used the calcium citrate from Costco and I also use one chewable a day from celebrate and one serving of the calcet creamy bite :) HTH

This is so confusing ! I start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet tomorrow and I have not been able to grasp all the info about calcium.I am trying to figure it out and will read this carefully and hopefully be able to find something that works.

Be sure that whatever it is you choose that it's Calcium Citrate and that you hit the daily requirement of 1,500-2,000. For example, I use citracal petites. I have to take 8 per day. I take 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch, 2 mid-afternoon and 2 at dinner. Never take calcium with iron or multivitamin that contains iron. They'll counteract.

I had originally started with Bariatric Advantage chewables. They were fine pre-op but post just holding them in my hand started me dry heaving. LOL

Edited by Charmedd Hour

thank you ! I will use the ones I have opened pre-surgery than order new ones tomorrow online carefully and start 2 weeks post op like my surgeon suggested.

Bluebonnet also makes a wonderful liquid Calcium Citrate. Comes in berry flavors and you keep it in the frig. For me it is a nice alternative cause some days I feel pilled to death and I can have a tablespoon in the am and one in the pm and I am good to go. I do the chews from Bariatric Advantage on the road during the day and enjoy them.

Upcal D is worth checking out and it's reasonably priced. It comes in a sachet form for convenience and a tub for when you're at home.

It can be added to drinks, dumped into yogurt, apple sauce or whatever - I even have friends who just dump a dose onto their tongue and wash it down with a bit of liquid.

It's slightly gritty but nothing that I mind.

http://www.colonialmedical.com/upcal-d-P-1649.html

Does anyone use a calcium capsule? I much prefer that than a chew...

Does anyone use a calcium capsule? I much prefer that than a chew...

I use bog standard Calcium Citrate pills. I find the capsule form too big and the tablets can be cut (well, bitten) in half. I use vitacost a fair bit for protein power, Coromega and other supplements I take and with free shipping in $49.00 or more, I always added a couple of bottles of this calcium to my order: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-calcium-citrate

Something worth mentioning!

You need to ensure you're taking enough vitamin D when you're taking calcium supplements:

The body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. Without enough vitamin D, one can’t form enough of the hormone calcitriol (known as the “active vitamin D”). This in turn leads to insufficient calcium absorption from the diet. In this situation, the body must take calcium from its stores in the skeleton, which weakens existing bone and prevents the formation of strong, new bone.

This is a good thread: