Rebecca_K

Calcium Conundrum

I just realized tonight how confusing this calcium thing really is.

RNYers are supposed to get an extra 1500 - 2000 mg of elemental calcium per day.

However, some supplements do not specify whether their calcium citrate is elemental or not. If it's not elemental, then the actual elemental portion is much smaller than the stated amount.

I ordered Vitalady Tender Cal-Mag-D3 capsules based on the fact that they have 500 mg of calcium citrate per capsule. However, after receiving an email that they were out of stock, I went back to the site to refresh my memory. Lo and behold, there has been some sort of issue with the labeling of some of the products they sell. Now the product info discloses that there is actually only 145 mg of elemental calcium per capsule!

So, I'll be cancelling my order for those capsules... :mad:

Currently I'm using Calcet Creamy Bites, which say they have 500 mg of calcium citrate per piece. However, I can't find any info that says whether those 500 mg are elemental or not. Does anyone know?

Also, does anyone know of any calcium capsules that have a decent amount of elemental calcium per capsule?

Thanks for any and all advice or info.

The Calcet creamy bites DO have 500 mg elemental calcium. All the products from Celebrate do. I talked to the CEO there to confirm it.

One way to tell is to read the label carefully. If it says "500 mg as calcium citrate" or "500 mg from calcium citrate," that means it has 500 mg elemental calcium. If it just says "500 mg calcium citrate," then it's not 500 mg elemental calcium, it's less than that. It is very confusing and they should label it clearly. I don't know why they don't.

I assume if you have any questions, you could always call the company that makes it and ask. They should be able to tell you. But that is a pain to have to do.

Citracal has however much elemental calcium it says on the bottle. I want to say they are 400 mg per tablet but I could be wrong. They are a tablet, not a capsule. Celebrate also has calcium tablets that you swallow. I assume you don't want chewables, right?

Kelly

The Calcet creamy bites DO have 500 mg elemental calcium. All the products from Celebrate do. I talked to the CEO there to confirm it.

One way to tell is to read the label carefully. If it says "500 mg as calcium citrate" or "500 mg from calcium citrate," that means it has 500 mg elemental calcium. If it just says "500 mg calcium citrate," then it's not 500 mg elemental calcium, it's less than that. It is very confusing and they should label it clearly. I don't know why they don't.

I assume if you have any questions, you could always call the company that makes it and ask. They should be able to tell you. But that is a pain to have to do.

Citracal has however much elemental calcium it says on the bottle. I want to say they are 400 mg per tablet but I could be wrong. They are a tablet, not a capsule. Celebrate also has calcium tablets that you swallow. I assume you don't want chewables, right?

Kelly

Thanks for the information (once again!)

Yes, I was going to contact Celebrate if no one here knew for sure.

Yep, I'm looking for a tablet or capsule. Celebrate was my second choice, because I figured capsules would be easier to take than tablets. So I guess I'll go with them.

Early out, I printed out a copy of this to help me get my head around the label confusion:

"500mg calcium as calcium citrate" - you get 500mg elemental calcium.

"500mg calcium from calcium citrate" - you get 500 mg elemental calcium.

"500mg calcium (calcium citrate) " - you get 500mg elemental calcium.

"500mg calcium citrate" - you get about 125 elemental calcium.

"500mg calcium" - who knows! Chuck it away.

Kelly information is totally correct. I contacted the company too. Vic, got back to me right away with the information. It is elemental calcium citrate.

The info that Corrine posted should help quite a bit but I totally agree that the calcium citrate lables are very confusing.

You are welcome Rebecca.

You don't want to know how many bottles/tubs I bought before finding the facts.

Worse was that some were even recommended as "THE" best stuff for WLS people! :mad:

Hi everyone -thank you for this info. I didn't know that there was a difference.

But I have a slightly different question - I am taking the Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate chewy bites - which are like starburst or taffy and taste fine. Except I don't like taffy/starburst and I worry about my teeth (I have enough problems already!)

So does anyone know of a chewable that isn't taffy-ish? Or a relatively easy to swallow tablet/capsule?

Thanks!

Jean

Celebrate has chewables that are kinda like a sweet tart. Or there is Upcal D, which is a powder you can mix in any drink. It has no taste. There are also brands you swallow, like Citracal, but those are kinda big.

Kelly

I really like the Upcal D powder. It doesn't dissolve (obviously, because it's calcium), so I don't use it in drinks. I simply mix it with a spoonful of applesauce and swallow it down. Then I follow it with some water, since I take a multivitamin at the same time anyway.

Bariatric Advantage has chewable tablets too. I can't stand any of the chewables, but most people can.

Also, Citracal has a "petite" dosage that is a lot easier to swallow than the regular size. But of course it's a smaller dose, so you have to take more of them. I combine the Upcal D with the Citracal Petites to get my full daily dose of calcium. Just remember that your body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium at a time, so no matter what form(s) you use, you have to take the calcium three times a day.

Edited by Rebecca_K

I have been taking the celebrate calcium citrate lemon chews. I read on this post about the chewables. Which ones are they? I need a change from the chews. They aren't bad I just want a change.

Sandy

Celebrate has chewables. They are kinda like a sweet tart, I'd say. They'll send you free samples if you email and ask.

Kelly

are they the celebrate calcium plus chewable or the calcium 500?

Sandy

Celebrate has Calcet Creamy Bites in Lemon and Chocolate Fudge. They're like a soft chew. The Lemon is a little tart but both are yummy - not at all gritty like the Bariatric Advantage calcium chews.

The Calcium Plus and Calcium Plus are more a lozenge that you can suck or chew up. They have the consistency of their multivitamin chewables.

I use all of Celebrate's products.

Contact them and ask for free samples - they're a great company to deal with: Contact Us

I bought the Bariatric Advantage chewable cherry and I can barely choke them down (http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/categoryHandler?cat=Bariatric%20Advantage%20:%20Calcium%20:%20Lozenges&expand=1) I really have to find something else. I started all my bariatric vitamins last week and I know if I have trouble with the gritty taste now, there's no way I'm going to be able to chew and swallow after surgery. I'll be trying other brands I'm sure.

The Celebrate Calcet bites in choc is like a piece of candy....I almost feel quilty taking it.....the first yummy thing I've had to take. The Celebrate chewable tabs to me are kind of chalky..

I was told to take my Calcet 2x a day. Is that what the rest of you are taking? AM and PM and to take my Iron at mid day..

If I take my Iron at lunch can I have cheese for lunch (the iron and calcium)???

The Celebrate Calcet bites in choc is like a piece of candy....I almost feel quilty taking it.....the first yummy thing I've had to take. The Celebrate chewable tabs to me are kind of chalky..

I was told to take my Calcet 2x a day. Is that what the rest of you are taking? AM and PM and to take my Iron at mid day..

If I take my Iron at lunch can I have cheese for lunch (the iron and calcium)???

You'd need Calcet three or four times a day, because the ASMBS says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium per day. Twice is not enough.

Depends on how much cheese you eat at lunch. Less than 300 mg calcium is OK. 300 mg or more will keep you from absorbing the iron. One ounce of most kinds of cheese has about 200 mg calcium, so that much would be OK.

Kelly

Kelly, I may have missed it but what brand of calcium are you using? You're always so on target - I hate what I have and need to order something else. Thanks!

Kelly, I may have missed it but what brand of calcium are you using? You're always so on target - I hate what I have and need to order something else. Thanks!

I use ENS from Celebrate, which is a drink mix that is a multi plus 500 mg calcium. I do two a day. Then I usually use Upcal D for the rest of my calcium, which is a powder you can mix in any drink. It has no taste. For a treat, sometimes I do the Calcet creamy bites. They are delicious but expensive.

Kelly

I just checked my calcium chews and I have the Twinlabs Calcium Citrate, the label says "from calcium citrate tetrahydrate" is this the good kind?

I just checked my calcium chews and I have the Twinlabs Calcium Citrate, the label says "from calcium citrate tetrahydrate" is this the good kind?

Yep, it's fine.

Kelly

I really like the Upcal D powder. It doesn't dissolve (obviously, because it's calcium), so I don't use it in drinks. I simply mix it with a spoonful of applesauce and swallow it down. Then I follow it with some water, since I take a multivitamin at the same time anyway.

Bariatric Advantage has chewable tablets too. I can't stand any of the chewables, but most people can.

Also, Citracal has a "petite" dosage that is a lot easier to swallow than the regular size. But of course it's a smaller dose, so you have to take more of them. I combine the Upcal D with the Citracal Petites to get my full daily dose of calcium. Just remember that your body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium at a time, so no matter what form(s) you use, you have to take the calcium three times a day.

I use the Citracal Petites. I dont have to cut them, can swallow whole without any issues. They only have 200mg of elemental calcium per pill, so I have to chuck down 8 of them per day. I take 3 in the AM, 2 mid day, and 3 more in the afternoon.

Are the celebrate calcium tablets smaller than a m&m? My surgeon said I can take pills but about the size of m&m's. I want to know becuase the pills are cheaper and frankly I'm tried of having everything be chewable. https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/calcium/calcium-plus-tablet/calcium-plus-tablet-30-day.html Also,it says 30-day supply but it says you need to take 6 tablets per day so will there be enough to last me 30days or will I need another bottle to last me 30days? Has anyone found a calcium supplement that they can buy in store instead of online?

Brittney - unfortunately, the very nature of calcium is that the pills/capsules are going to be large..

The cheapest and easiest way for you would be to buy calcium citrate tablets - Citracal: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Citrical-Calcium-Citrate-Dietary-Supplement-250-mg/10317200 Spring Valley: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Calcium-Supplement-600-mg-with-Vitamin-D-250-ct.-ea./10532880 or GNC: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133373

... and cut each tablet in half. That'll mean you take 4 halves to get a 500mg dose.

Another cheap option but this is off the internet, is UpcalD. It's a powder - you can add it to your drinks (tasteless but a little gritty when you get to the end but I don't mind that and you can dump it into a spoonful of yogurt or applesauce etc): http://www.colonialmedical.com/catalog/Upcal-D-120-packets-p-19796.html

I too did not like taking and chewing those large horse pills they call Calium tablets. I came across a liquid supplement I have now been taking for over a year. It is called "Wellesse Calcium & Vitamin D3".

It comes in 16 oz bottles with 1 oz = 1000 mg calcium citrate (Calcium as Calcium Citrate and Tricalcium Phosphate) and 1000 IU of Vitamin D (Vitamin D as Cholecalciferol).

Here is the site online:

http://www.drugstore.com/wellesse-calcium-and-vitamin-d3/qxp154626?catid=47604&fromsrch=Wellesse#pr-header-154626

It cost 6.79 for a 16 oz bottle on this site (same price on Amazon, but must be bought as package of 2).

A number of the reviews of the product come from post-GBP patients, and from what I have read, all those reviews are positive.

It does contain artificial sweetner....

Cheers