Band_Groupie

Lap-Band Newbies

23 posts in this topic

I was answering some PM questions from a bander and I babbled on longer than allowed in a PM, and I thought this might help others. If you have any other questions, experiences you want me to share let me know (I also keep a blog and the first year it was almost a daily blog, mostly, but not all about my band- link below).

OK, first, I should say, do what your doctors tell you, they're all different and these are just my docs/my experiences.

- Post-Op Diet/Protein: My doc's/NUT's philosophy is that immediately post-op the focus is on staying hydrated. It will be difficult for you to get the full amount of protein in for awhile (it was hard to get in the liquids as you have to sip slowly- I drank out of one of those measuring cups they give you at the hospital and kept track), but he told me your body has plenty of nutrition to draw on and being short on protein isn't as important immediately as getting in the liquids. You'll find that you aren't hungry and the restriction will be very tight...you'll even be able to feel if you're drinking liquids too fast. You'll be glad to know (since I didn't have a pre-op diet LOL) that my post-op diet is the worst one I've ever seen for a bander; 3 weeks of clear liquids (not FULL) and several glasses of skim milk ONLY (and yes, I cheated with protein shakes the last few days...I was way too weak by then). Personally I loved the FF refried beans with some mild salsa and cheese, but there's other ways to get protein in (and these are considered a 'no no' after you get to solid foods as they are a mushie/slider food). Oh, and SF popsicles saved me on the clear liquid diet (something to chew).

- Foods: My doc's philosophy is that nothing is off-limits as long as you can tolerate it (I'll tell you, I wouldn't have gotten the band if I had to be on another 'diet'...been there done that, very well actually-then gained it back, for 20 years...now I have counted calories/protein/water/etc. for like a week at a time, several times, just to see where I am during this journey, but not often). I am even allowed carbonation (after so many weeks, he says it's bunk that carbonation stretches the pouch as it as two exits for any gas, he says the docs like to say no carbonation because obese people like to drink empty calories in soda and beer) and caffeine (I taper this out immediately pre-op only because I was afraid I'd get a migraine from going cold-turkey- I'm on migraine meds, but I started coffee after a few weeks or so). I've had lots of both.

- Chewing: Like I said, there's nothing I can't eat as long as I chew it well. I bought a Magic Bullet and it was a god-send just post-op. I used it a lot pureeing foods/soups and making protein shakes for my 2nd phase post-op and then again for my 2-day full liquids after each fill (what my doc requires). Other than that though I never want to drink a protein shake again. Here's the deal: You'll find that you're VERY restricted for about a week, then it will all go away (for most) as the swelling goes down (some docs put in a small 'primer fill' that is supposed to fill just the port/tubing, mine does not...and even this was too much just post-op for a friend of mine and she had to get an unfill). This next period is called 'Bandster Hell'...you've got the band, but now you have no restriction...it's really all up to you until you get some fills, so you have to be patient. You'll have lost some good weight usually from the surgery time, so the goal during this is just to heal and not gain weight back. When you get fills you'll have to remind yourself of the rules and re-teach yourself how to eat and chew again (and you'll have to keep re-learning this with each fill as you get tighter). I did hear of one bander that had to have a piece of lettuce retrieved off the top of her stoma (went down the throat with a scope), so that's true, but there are lots of foods that can get stuck, but it's always 'operator error'...my fault because I forgot to chew (look at the food and ask yourself if it will quickly break up into smaller pieces in your little pouch, or is it something like lettuce that won't break down anymore until it moves into your stomach where the acid is, that will help you remember what to chew more). Oh, and I love lite pineapple...just cut it up finer and chew, chew, chew...and the same with all meats (some dry meats I just need a little sauce with to help the chewing). I find that I cut things in much smaller pieces now, for two reasons...it's easier to make sure it doesn't get stuck and I want to be able to eat a little longer so I'm still eating while my family is and I'm getting the taste of good food for longer (the love of good food doesn't end).

- Restriction: Here's the thing. How restricted you want to be is in a big way a matter of choice. The purpose of the band is NOT to STOP you from eating, or even to make you feel FULL (it WILL do both of these, but if it does it means you've eaten TOO MUCH and you're stretching your pouch- not something you want to do long-term)...it's to help you learn how little you can eat while still staying SATISFIED between meals. You'll soon learn the difference between head hunger and real hunger and the difference between full and satisfied...two things most of us obese peeps have never had to deal with. Some banders like their bands so tight that they develop a long list of foods they can't eat, some even like it so they can only drink protein shakes at least several meals a day...they feel more in control when they can't eat much (and that works for some). Personally, I'm at my Sweet Spot and there's nothing I can't eat, I'm never hungry between meals, I never drink my meals (my doc says liquid meals defeat the whole purpose of the band- that you could go on a protein shake diet if you wanted to do that) and I'm still losing weight (more slowly now that I'm in 'Goal Limbo'=starts about 20/30 lbs. from goal and your WL slows...took me 10.5 weeks to lose my last 10 pounds...I need to update my ticker, I'm down 74#).

- Surgery/Post-Op: Ask the doc for an anti-nausea Rx to have at home (you don't want to have to wait for a call-back from them if you're vomiting as this is the point you can most easily cause a band slip or rip internal stitches). Oh, and ask if you're allowed to take a laxative when you get home (I took one the day I got home. I've seen more horror stories about 'giving birth' a week or more later than I care to...both not eating and the antisthetic and the pain meds. are major constipators). The immediately post-op mantra is 'sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk' (walking and a heating pad are the best things for the gas they put in your abdomen-usually shows up as back, left shoulder, or abdomen pain...some say Gas X strips help, my doc said the gas is in your abdomen not your intestines, but even if they were a placebo I took them). Yes, you'll probably have a moment just post-op when you'll say, what the heck did I just do, but for me that passed as quickly as a flash when I saw the scale moving each day. It will amaze you how quickly you'll feel better...day 2-3 I couldn't see that (not that I was in much pain, but I wasn't expecting it to change so dramatically to feeling fine), and a few days later I was back to almost normal. Be prepared to come home to a weight gain (from the IV fluids) and then it will start dropping. Have someone help you get up and down as that's the worst part just post op. Take your pain med to stay AHEAD of the pain, especially at night. Remember, the goal is hydration and it will take about 6 weeks for the internal stiches holding your band to heal.

I love TT and I love being here as there are so many great people and such great support (I'm also on 'Lap Band Talk'-where my blog is). I'd caution you to be careful with the information as there are mostly RNY'ers here and some of them innocently mistakenly answer a Bandster's question with what an RNY'er would do (and vice-versa...I have to make sure a person is a bander before I give them the bander viewpoint here). Sometimes there are big differences, ie. malabsorption, and vitamin/supplement needs. Which brings me to:

- Vitamins/supplements/hair: Hair loss is a factor for almost everyone just because of the general anesthetic (and is a long term concern with RNYers because of the malabsorption). Your hair goes through growth cycles, so you won't see the hair loss until about month 3 post op...it will probably continue for another 3 months (it just takes that long for the effects to show/stop) and then it will slowly start to grow back. I had major surgery before the LB (partial hysterectomy and bladder sling)...and trust me, I was eating plenty then and had the same pattern of hair loss. Some say Biotin (and I think, B-12) make your hair, not grow back, but grow back stronger (hair is thicker so it's less likely to break). You do need to keep up the protein for your hair and other needs of your body and when you get back on solid foods this will be your focus anyway (solid proteins also help you feel full longer). My doc requires 2 chewable vitamins am/pm (I use Centrum- orange flavor...I just have it with coffee to rinse that orange grit out of my mouth LOL) or 4 of the Flinstones daily 2am/2pm. They also recommend a Calcium supplement (unlike RNYers both kinds of calcium-carbonate or citrate are absorbed) and I use a chocolate chew that has vit. D & K as well). Other than that, the supplements you take are up to you as you won't have any others you'll need for the band.

Let me know if you have any other things I can help with, sorry this got a bit jumbled as I babbled on.

-BG

Edited by Band_Groupie

This is good info! I'll check to see if it is appropriate to make a sticky as a general guideline for Lap banders :)

Thanks!

WOW, this is wonderful, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much, k

Awesome info!! :) Thank you so much!

great post!

very helpful info! thank you!!

rish

Thanks for sharing, BG.

Some great info there BG xxxx

wishing my fellow bandsters all the sucess in the world xxx

The band does work if u work with it !!!!!

Merry Christmas

Sas x

Hi. I was banded 12/8/9. I ate a single dorito chewed to creamy apple sauce consistency 2 days post op. I ate some tuna last night, a few bites chewed WELL, pickles (sliced, chewed well), and about 14 doritos tonight.... mind you I am chewing like a pro. I am still supposed to be on the full liquid diet and I am following it, ok.... but i am surviving off potato soup, special k protein shakes, ice cream, and popsicles.... i got the band so i could reduce my portion sizes and train myself SLOWLY to be a healthy eater, yet still enjoy my faves.... i just need some advice. I fear band slippage. I also feel little restriction and can eat ALOT.... so yeah... HELP!!! is that lack of restriction normal? i just dont know what is normal and what is not and I am trying to stick to my doctors orders, I just tend to be a self saboteur and I am trying to wean myself off that!

Hi. I was banded 12/8/9. I ate a single dorito chewed to creamy apple sauce consistency 2 days post op. I ate some tuna last night, a few bites chewed WELL, pickles (sliced, chewed well), and about 14 doritos tonight.... mind you I am chewing like a pro. I am still supposed to be on the full liquid diet and I am following it, ok.... but i am surviving off potato soup, special k protein shakes, ice cream, and popsicles.... i got the band so i could reduce my portion sizes and train myself SLOWLY to be a healthy eater, yet still enjoy my faves.... i just need some advice. I fear band slippage. I also feel little restriction and can eat ALOT.... so yeah... HELP!!! is that lack of restriction normal? i just dont know what is normal and what is not and I am trying to stick to my doctors orders, I just tend to be a self saboteur and I am trying to wean myself off that!

Hate to you tell you, but there is NO restriction post-op, as you get used to the band, and the swelling subsides. I can't imagine eating anything right now, I am so fearful of even trying to swallow a pill, i cut the tylenol up into 4 tiny pieces. The reason there is NO RESTRICTION, is because they don't fill it during surgery. WHY are you eating?

I was banded 12/9/09 and the first week went great lost 13lbs and then I went into stage two and introduced full liquids and the scale hasn't moved at all. Granted with the blizzard that just hit us I haven't been able to get out and around as much but is this normal? How long does it usually take to start losing again?

ditto!!! My surgery was 1 week ago, I just crosed over to ONEDERLAND, but that is only 4 pounds since the day of surgery. I will say that I weighed 210 after surgery. I think it's a water thing, I will admit that I am not getting enough water in, I believe that water is the key. The fat has to go SOMEWHERE, either you pee it out, or ---- it out, but it takes Water to do both. just my opinion

I was banded 12/9/09 and the first week went great lost 13lbs and then I went into stage two and introduced full liquids and the scale hasn't moved at all. Granted with the blizzard that just hit us I haven't been able to get out and around as much but is this normal? How long does it usually take to start losing again?

ditto!!! My surgery was 1 week ago, I just crosed over to ONEDERLAND, but that is only 4 pounds since the day of surgery. I will say that I weighed 210 after surgery. I think it's a water thing, I will admit that I am not getting enough water in, I believe that water is the key. The fat has to go SOMEWHERE, either you pee it out, or ---- it out, but it takes Water to do both. just my opinion

Sorry for the delay...holidays have been crazy busy.

I came home having gained 10 pounds in the hospital (IV fluids) I lost very slowly just post-op, but it was all up to me until the 3rd fill when I finally got good restriction (and keep in mind that I'm a professional dieter). My third fill was at almost exactly 3 months out and I lost 25 pounds those 3 months, most of it the first month (the second month I lost nothing at all). Until you get restriction, this period is called 'Bandster Hell'...you've got the band, but no restriction (remember a lot of banders gain weight during this period). Some docs put in a 'primer fill' at surgery, but I had none.

For those of you just post op, please keep in mind that this is also the time that you are most likely to cause a complication with your band...eating too much or the wrong things can be really risky as it takes at least 6 weeks for the stitches holding your band to your stomach to heal. I know it's hard to stick with the program when you feel no restriction, but if you must cheat, don't change your portion sizes...have more meals/snacks during the day (have six tiny meals) if you need to, not large meals...and for the first few weeks keep it to soft foods/full liquids as your new stoma will be swollen and you don't want to get something 'stuck'. Practicing the 'water' rules will also help with the hunger...I had to NOT drink: 15 min. before, during, and for 1 hour after, and in between meals I had to get in at least 64 oz. over the day...it does fill you up between meals.

Until you get restriction, start trying to really work on when you're 'Satisfied' vs. 'full', when you're actually hungry, or when you're having head hunger. This will help you a lot when the restriction starts to come. Try your best not to worry about the WL during Bandster Hell (I know, easier said than done). But if you can just try not to gain anything, then you're doing better than most banders. Don't beat yourself up for any 'relapses'...we've all had too many years of practicing bad habits for them to go away overnight before our band is even working for us.

I also used this period for researching recipes and trying out some new high protein foods (ie. I'd never had Greek Yogurt before). After my third fill I followed all the rules and although I wasn't feeling 'full' after my meal (we obese people get so used to feeling full), I was surprised to find that I was 'satisfied ' and not hungry until it was time for my next meal...WOW!

Got to run...the kids are finally all off tomorrow and I can't wait. Happy Holidays all and keep me posted on your progress...I promise to keep checking in on you all! You're going to do great!! -BG

Ooops...almost forgot...CONGRATULATIONS Glory on Onederland!!!! That's such a great milestone to hit!!!

Edited by Band_Groupie

I love this woman!!!!! You have got to write a book!!!!!!!

Karen- LOL...Thanks, I get told that a lot...just goes to show our doc's don't give us all the info.

Hope everyone had a great holiday without any of the big gains I've always had. I'm sure it was tough for you newly banded with no restriction, but just remember that next holiday you'll have your tool working for you. My blog today was about losing a pound over Christmas while still eating/drinking everything (a Christmas miracle). What a great gift this band is!!! Hang in there all!

A question re: EATING OUT:

Well, on soft foods there are lots of options for eating out (my doc even says if you're careful, there are even more options if it's something you can puree in your mouth into almost a liquid). Eating out on mushies: Soup is on every menu and is always a safe bet because the liquid (even a creamy soup) helps things not to get stuck (it's kinda like drinking while eating). You can drink the liquid and pick through the solids to see what you can mush up easily by chewing (avoid any meats). Soup's always a good thing to start with even when you're back on regular foods...if you drink the liquid first it's hot, which helps things loosen up, and it will go right through...then you can eat the solids and they'll stay with you. I also always look at the appetizer menu...often there's a potatoe choice and eating everything but the skin with some sour cream is a good mushie. There's often some kind of refried bean dip on the menu and you can always ask for an 'adjustment' to how they serve it (and this one actually has protein). Look for entrees that are soft and already diced...like a crab cake or crab meat.

To this day if I'm nervous about who I'm eating with and don't want to get stuck I follow this pattern...have drinks first and try to mostly finish them before the solids, order soup first and drink mostly liquids, then I have an appetizer or an entree and don't eat very much and chew it to death (eat slowly, talk a lot, and you'll finish when everyone else does...and there's always the 'I had a big breakfast' excuse LOL). I usually break the 'no drinking while eating' rule when I'm eating out with someone I don't know well...you don't want to drink a huge amount ontop of food because it won't go through and can cause it to 'back up', but a few sips along the way while eating will help the food go through faster and I'm usually able to eat more than normal (yes, I get hungry faster, but sometimes 'appearances' are more important LOL...I haven't told anyone but DH). I've even gone to extent of looking up a place's menu online to plan what I'll have...getting stuck at a restaurant is NO FUN...been there, done that as a newbie...

Read this (The Horrific PB Event):

[url=http://www.lapbandtalk.com/blogs/51088/blog11959.html]8/28-30/09 Vacation (part 2) and The Horrific PB Event - LAP-BAND

Snipped

A question re: EATING OUT:

I've even gone to extent of looking up a place's menu online to plan what I'll have...getting stuck at a restaurant is NO FUN...been there, done that as a newbie...

Read this (The Horrific PB Event):

[url=http://www.lapbandtalk.com/blogs/51088/blog11959.html]8/28-30/09 Vacation (part 2) and The Horrific PB Event - LAP-BAND

There I was, outside with head in the bushes. I hadn't done that since my much younger, drinkin' days! Denise

LOL...I'm laughing WITH you Denise! So, so true! I can now give my DH the 'look' and he runs to the kitchen to grab me an empty large cup...too bad that doesn't work well when you're out to dinner LOL!

Happy New Year all!

LOL...I'm laughing WITH you Denise! So, so true! I can now give my DH the 'look' and he runs to the kitchen to grab me an empty large cup...too bad that doesn't work well when you're out to dinner LOL!

Happy New Year all!

Hi BG!

Please DO laugh! These have to be made into light hearted moments or we'd go crazy.

The most horrifying "event" I've had....I was a juror on a very serious double murder trail. Death penalty case. Made big news here in San Diego.

I'd been banded nearly a year at this point.

I had an afternoon court session. On the way in, I picked up some lunch. While waiting for my lunch, I took my vitamin. I brought my lunch to the courthouse cafeteria. My timing was a little off, so I didn't have a lot of time to eat (dork!). While eating I started to get that familiar feeling, but chose to ignore it....yup....slime-o-rama..the vitamin got stuck along with everything I piled on top of it.

Imagine sitting in the jury box, front row, juror #3 with a wad of paper towels in hand casually wiping the slime every few seconds, and praying I didn't upchuck over the rail onto the prosecutor's table.

I kept waiting for the judge to ask me if I was ok and to have to explain on the record in court what was happening. UGH.

Fortunately, it was a slime event only and stopped relatively quickly. After that, I stuck to mostly liquid lunches for the duration of the trial (protein, not liquor!) and we got a murderous fool off the streets!

Denise

Oooo...now that's a 'good' one!!! LOL!!!

I go to the Seminar on Monday and see my family practitioner on Wednesday. I am readling all I can because I plan to make a date to see the surgeon or whoever is on his team in the next few weeks to start the process to lap band or whatever the surgeon recommends.

Right now I am weaning off some of my meds and I have totally lost my apetite for anything. But I want to thank everyone who posts here because it is really encouraging. I have alot of weight that I want to get off and I am going to rely on all of you to help me through.

Psimer- CONGRATULATIONS on taking the first step...I'm sure it will all go well this week and good luck on making your WLS choice, the doc will help you with making the best choice for you. I've found having an online support group like this is wonderful...you never can predict when you'll need support and someone is always here!

----

Oh, and lest I scared any newbies with my PB accounts, you should know that they are ALWAYS operator error (my fault and could have been avoided if I follwed the rules more carefully). Also I have an extremely weak stomach and have always vomited easily...just watching someone gag can do it for me. I sometimes forget that what is 'no big deal' for me now can be scary for someone just starting. Many bandsters (those that are more careful than I...I need many, many lessons to learn LOL) never PB. So chew, chew, chew people! ;-)

*** Just answering someon'e questions on TT and thought I'd repeat it here for anyone else:

Here's my take on the RNY vs. LB (but most people here are RNY, so you should seek their opinions as well); So besides the obvious less invasive, that you mentioned:

- I didn't need to lose the weight FAST, I have hypertension, but no other life-threatening diseases which would make it urgent to lose NOW.

- I was pre-diabetic, but not diabetic yet- RNY many times helps diabetics immediately with their diabetes.

- I had no interest in going on yet another 'diet' (I'd yo-yoed for 20 years, I'm a GREAT dieter...lost 1000 pounds, up to 50 at a time, just can't keep it off). I knew for me to be successful (keep it off) I needed a solution that involved being able to eat EVERYTHING (no more diets, no protein shakes-well, I do use these after fills), just in smaller amounts (ie. I love chocolate- RNY'ers can dump on sweets...I have a small piece of chocolate most nights sometimes a SF one, but the Russell Stover's are great) and I never feel deprived.

- I was way more worried about gaining the weight back than losing it (at least 50 of it I could have done with another diet). I liked the fact that the LB doesn't lose it's effectivness over time (like an RNY where your body learns after a year or so how to start absorbing the calories again). For me, this one was really critical...as soon as the malabsorbtion stopped, I would probably have stretched my stoma with food, gotten hungry, and regained the weight. That said, you can definitely 'eat around' the band by not following the rules and never lose a pound (ie. ice cream goes right through the band).

- I had a portion control problem and was always starving on diets (well, except Atkins where I lost big weight eating huge amounts of bacon and cheese, but who can do that forever).

- I really liked the fact that everything that I would have to do when I first got restriction with the band is exactly what I would be doing when I got to maintanenace. There's no 'diet end', no 'now I've lost the weight I have to learn to eat like a skinny person'...I've learned all the lessons from the very beginning, so other than reaching a number (I'm 5 pounds from goal range now) absolutely nothing will change. This was the second one that was critical for me...feeling deprived and having lots of foods that are off limits is a recipe for disaster for me. I'm good at 'black and white' but learning the 'gray' that everything is allowed, but you still need to lose weight by working with your band was hard work, but it will hopefully make me much more successful long-term.

- As long as you can follow a few simple rules, it works very well for me. It doesn't work if you can't do your part (ie. not drinking with meals or right after, eating protein first, etc.)

Speed:

- As you said, it's much faster with RNY. LBers generally lose a little with their pre-op diet and then a little just after the surgery. Then almost all banders go through a period of NO restriction...It's call 'Bandster Hell'...you're wide open and hungry again (yes, a portion of banders gain, but this period is really for healing not losing). It took me until the 3rd fill to get decent restriction and until the 4th fill (4.5 months post-op) to get it perfect 'The Sweet Spot'. I'm a slow loser, but I started out in the 'lightweights' 37.7 BMI category and 'only' had 90-100 lbs. to lose. Many banded my same month have lost faster, and are still losing fast because they still have a long way to go but I've caught up with many of the same people now. As you reach 'Goal Limbo' (about 20-30 lbs. from goal) the WL will slow way down.

AMOUNTS

I eat less than I did a month or two post-op...that period for me was still Bandster Hell and everything moved quickly down to the stomach...again, this period is for healing (the stiches that hold the band to your stomach take 6 weeks to heal, so you have to be careful to keep the amounts aroun 1-1.5C, but my doc just suggested having more meals in the day if you're hungry)...I lost a little, but I'm a good dieter, so I just watched my intake, no real diet. Now I eat about 1/2C in the mornings when I'm tighter, 1C at lunch, and 1-1.5C for dinner, that's it. I eat EVERYTHING and have the same meals my family has for dinners -I don't take as much of the starches as I used to (percentage wise on my plate), but I eat those too. I'm allowed alcohol and carbonation (in moderation after a certain point post-op).

I think it's important to find a doc who has a similar approach to how you want to implement the band (ie. if my doc had mentioned protein shakes as mandatory the rest of my life, I wouldn't have gotten it).

Seek other opinions and have an in-depth discussion with your surgeon and I'm sure you'll pick the choice that's best for you.

The band was the best choice for me, but I would suggest RNY for one of my sisters...everyone has different needs and different eating issues.

Keep me posted and good luck! -BG

Edited by Band_Groupie