MiladyB

Nutrition and Vitamin Comparisons

I received this chart from my surgeon's nutritionist today. (I LOVE my nutritionist!!) As a support group leader I get members who have had different types of weight loss surgery. I wanted to know the difference between the nutrition and vitamin recommendations for the varies types of weight loss surgeries. She sent me this chart and I thought all of you might find it as helpful as I did.

Thanks for posting this, I just came across it and am printing it out, because sometimes I tend to forget, and I feel silly always calling my NUT, although I'm sure she'd be ok with it, lol.

My hospital recommends 21st Century Mega Multi Vitamin for Women (for everyone), along with D3, B12, Calcium Citrate, Iron and Magnesium.

The asmbs.org recommend 200% RDA (something your hospital should be aware of because they're the body that designates hospitals and clinics as Bariatric Centers of Excellence).

Pages 7 and 8 of this document: http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/GuidelinesStatements/Guidelines/bgs_final.pdf

Even at 2 a day, 21st Century Mega Multi Vitamin for Women miss the mark on several key vitamins and minerals - Folate (something we're known to be at a high risk of deficiency with).

Just make sure they check Copper and zinc etc. when you have blood work done. There's plenty of evidence that we're already at an increased risk of becoming deficient in those.

Zinc: http://www.ajcn.org/content/94/4/1004.abstract

Copper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21876546

I've been searching for a thread on Vitamin B-12 but can't find any so I'll post my question here. What strength of Vitamin B-12 does everyone take? Although my blood tests have shown a VERY high concentration of B-12 I still take it. I also take Benfotiamine for diabetic neuropathy which is a high concentration of Vitamin B.

Thoughts??

Annette - I take Nutrilite Vitamin B complex that has 2 mcg - 100% RDA for B12 - twice a day (along with my other vitamins.) The recommendation is 3 times a day, but I only do 2.

http://www.amway.com/JVE/Shop/Product/Product.aspx/NUTRILITE-Natural-B-Complex-300-Count?itemno=A4206

I also take periodically their XS Energy B12 Blast shot (Wild Berry and Citrus flavors) ... no sugar or carbs added ... 600 mcg of B12 (1000% RDA) ... I can sip it ... and I love the taste, too.

http://www.amway.com/JVE/Shop/Product/Product.aspx/XS-Energy-SHOTS-Wild-Berry-flavor?itemno=747598&dsNav=N:4294966625

I never got any B12 shots or used the sub-lingual pills ... and my blood work never showed me to be B12 difficient.

my recommended dose of B12 is 500 mcg daily or 5000 mcg 1x per week for the sublingual. They recommend bariatric advantage sublingual b12 with folate or any overt the counter sublingual.

A weekly nasal spray nascobal or monthly injection

I'm new to this site, as well as the surgery. I had questions about vitamins and found this discussion. It's a very good discussion about vitamins. I am also wondering where I can get the Celebrate vitamins?

Thanks,

Linda

I'm new to this site, as well as the surgery. I had questions about vitamins and found this discussion. It's a very good discussion about vitamins. I am also wondering where I can get the Celebrate vitamins?

Thanks,

Linda

Here you go Linda: http://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/sample-pack.html

I'd suggest you try the sample pack first for $3.00. They'll include a $3.00 voucher which you can redeem on your first order so the samples end up being free. They're my choice of multivitamin but Bariatric Advantage meet our needs too. It just boils down to taste (and customer service - Celebrate are outstanding. Bariatric Advantage - not so much).

I am really at a loss with the vitamins and such. I absolutely cannot stand those huge chewable vitamins they make specifically for us. I don't know about now (since I haven't started taking vitamins yet) but I could not tolerate taking iron supplements either. I would vomit within 5 minutes and sometimes not even that long after taking any vitamin with iron in it. I could eat the gummy vitamins before surgery. I guess it is back to them next week.

Anybody else in this situation?

iadoregon,

An option is to use capsule form multivitamins, pull the two ends apart and dump the contents into a spoon of something like yogurt or apple sauce or even your protein shake.

Early out when our diet is severely restricted, I would recommend using something like Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage multivitamins. They both meet the asmbs.org recommendation of 200% RDA.

And they both do powder/crystal forms of multivitamins too which are definitely worth trying. Celebrate's ENS - Multivitamin & Calcium Drink Mix is really good: http://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/multivitamin/multivitamin-calcium-drink-mix.html Same with BA's Crystals: https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/matrix/1/Multivitamins

They both do a good chewable iron.

Contact them both for samples. Gummy vitamins just don't meet our needs.

Thank you very much, cinwa. I had no idea they did drink mixes. I will definitely look into that since I am supposed to start my vitamins on Saturday. I think, as long as they are better than the chewable {{{shudders}}} you have been a life saver.

THIS was VERY helpful and really awnsers a lot of question... thanks so much.

kari

This is such a great pinned post. I wanted to share the vitamin nutrient suggestions that the Western Bariatric Institute has for patients. It really helped me to find cheaper alternatives to the "bariatric or wellesse" brands. My favorite online site has been iherb.com so far.

preop-class-band-vitamin-handout-11-6-12.pdf

preop-class-bypass-sleeve-vitamin-handout-10.08.121.pdf

Thank you Kelly for this information, I just ordered the Celebrate multi vitamin from Amazon. I will order the calcium next paycheck, the funds are low right now and I havent been on any vitamins except B12 since my surgery in July. I had a very hard time with any kind of meds and havent been able to take anything, but knew I had to be on vitamins. Thank you all for your help

Really take a look at the "buried treasure nutritionals" multi vitamin. It looks really good and could take a fraction of the serving size. It is liquid.

Im still preop but my nutritionist wants me to start taking my vitamins next week.Let me just say, I am vitamin stupid! Could someone pls help me with this.. give me brands of what you use.. do we have to do chewables?? I dont mind the chews but chewables I just cant do. I bought some multivitamin chews from GNC but now im not sure they are gonna work after surgery. I might have to take 4 a day to get the 200% RDA and the bag only has 60 in it for 28.00. Thats going to get expensive! Any help is appreciated!

grnidpapple ... I realize you are new, but there are 4 pages of vitamin suggestions in this link alone before your post and I'm betting you find the answer you need.  Be that as it may, you may find after surgery that you don't mind the chewables as much as you think.  I had GB surgery 3 1/2 years ago and I still hear the same laments ... "I'll never eat steak again" ... "I cannot give up my beer" ... you do what you have to do to make it work for you ... and that steak lover lost 200 lbs and finds that steak has no great appeal for him anymore ... he finds he loves fish and chicken ... lots of great links here ... and the Celebrate and Centrum adult chewables are very very popular and easy to digest and use.

"Back in my day" ... before the gummy chewables were taken off my surgeon's preferred list, that is what I used - Costco adult gummies (staff found that the RDA was not really enough) - huge bottle lasted me for months... though once i was on soft foods, I graduated to my own Amway vitamins - Nutrilitie double X and dailies - neither are chewables but swallow pills - but they are designed to dissolve within 12 to 15 minutes.   Can get expensive, but worked for me. Nutrilite Double X run about $55 a month (use the Ribbon Gift program to be cheaper) but have double daily portions for 31 days ... Nutrilte one a day are about 90 pills for $25 or so ... twice a day gets you 45 days at a time.  My first year blood tests, I was only deficient twice - once for vitamin D and once for B12 .... but I take a multi-supplement B and I drink a B12 XS energy drink virtually every day (instead of coffee) .... let the carbonation run out in a large open mouth cup so I have no major irritation ... and I've never had any deficiencies since.  works for me, not necessarily for everyone and you have to do your own research.

Thank you for your response! Im sorry I had a moment of panic! Ill read things better before I ask for help in the future

I have a quick question, I found celebrate online and now see they are a reputable company. I do see that they use sucralose, most might know as Splenda, in their ENS protein drink. I am trying.to stay away from all artificial sweeteners, I primarily use Stevia and wonder if anyone else tries to remain natural in their diet? To be honest, I didn't check to see if their vitamins also uses artificial sweeteners?

I do Boz.

I am now using Jay Robb protein. It is really strong vanilla or chocolate for me.. So I am ordering an unflavored/unsweetened Jay Robb to mix with the flavored ones I have. It has no aftertaste. (good quality stevia.. I assume)

You can also find a cheaper protein w/o artifical sugars at protein factory and true nutrition ( you just have to specify stevia only). I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for though, I started with tre nutrition and it was fine.. and then suddenly I hated the taste of the poor quality stevia and the protein smelled and tatsed like cardboard.

So, jay Robb it is for me. And shoot I can handle 3 months of paying for good quality protein. After that people tend use less and less powder because you are eating more solid foods. (not 3-5 shakes a day anymore)..

Opurity has some no artifical sugar Bariatric vitamins. I am using Buried treasure nutritionals which are liquid in fruit juice, 1 tbs is plenty and not too costly. They are mega dose vitamins.

And for now I am using Monk Fruit in the Raw for sweetener for foods/tea/coffee etc. I am likely going to switch to Whey Low , or probably use both off and on

It is so sad that most things have artificial sugars / ingredients! I just want to eat "real" foods! There is a great FB page (not wls related) called "just eat real food". Great recipes and great info on real foods )

Edited by Kat~erpillar

Im still preop but my nutritionist wants me to start taking my vitamins next week.Let me just say, I am vitamin stupid! Could someone pls help me with this.. give me brands of what you use.. do we have to do chewables?? I dont mind the chews but chewables I just cant do. I bought some multivitamin chews from GNC but now im not sure they are gonna work after surgery. I might have to take 4 a day to get the 200% RDA and the bag only has 60 in it for 28.00. Thats going to get expensive! Any help is appreciated!

I take ProCare Healths One a day Chewable vitamin. The taste is an orange citrus flavor and it dissolves fast (I don't mind the slight irony aftertaste because it is only 1 time a day and follow with a swish of water). I have been told I can swallow hole because it is designed to be a fast dissolve, which I do do some days.  Compared to other vitamins I looked into  this seemed to have the best bang for my buck, (11.99 for 1 month supply-- I order 5 at a time to save on shipping) and was recommended by my nutritionist. I only needed to find a calcium because the vitamin has everything else! Which made it much simplier to figure out and time everything correctly.   I even get my calcium from them because I like how simple the UpcalD is to use and comes measured out.  I like the chews as a treat but taking so many makes me feel like I want sweets more often which was always my weakness. Plus my nutritionist talked about the amount of carbs that chews have.   Hope that  helped. I am sure you are getting lots of suggestions-- Just find what works for you and what you can stick with because that is the most important part!    Good luck on your upcoming surgery and even though I am new to thinnertimes I have found lots of support and helpful ideas here-- so if you are every stresssing about something ask on here-- It is a journey we are all taking together and there is plenty of support! 

Hello all,

I'm reposting this here since I think this thread may get read a lot more.

My original thread is:

"Opurity Bariatric Multivitamin and Chewable Calcium"

For those with sugar alcohol and milk intolerance

Bariatric fusion, celebrate, bariatric advantage, optisource all contain sugar alcohols and or milk products and personally cause me lots of problems. Unfortunately, no one on here has been able to point me to a bariatric vitamin that I can tolerate. So far I've been using flintstones complete in the interim, but yesterday after meeting with my dietician and complained about the sugar alcohol and milk in these vitamins and not being able to find a calcium chewable without sugar alcohol, she recommended opurity which is by the company that make unjury. Personally I can not use celebrate which I know is the prefered go to for most of the regulars on here, so if you can tolerate them perhaps those are a better option. Opurity seems to be of very good quality comparitively, is a once a day, follows asmbs guidelines with modifications based on the most current research and guidelines, uses the correct forms of each vitamin/mineral (D3, betacarotene, (excepts calcium (read next), does require a calcium supplement which they also make milk and alcohol sugar free ( supplement is calcium citrate, but the multivit contains carbonate in low levels as to not interfere with iron intake). Anyway my RD had some samples it is orange flavored, not offensive most importantly it didn't cause me severe stomach problems like the other vits I've tried. Also asked about using a pill form instead of chewable was told to wait at least 3-4months before trying (YMMV with your own program). Opurity website below (personally I don't know what all this anti-chinese product is about in their information). I'd like to reiterate I'm presenting this as an alternative for those with digestion issues caused by other bariatric multivitamins.

http://www.opurity.com/

I had never looked into the sugar alcohols or milk content until I read your post. May me curious about the one I am taking( ProCare Health's Bariatric 1 a day). I don't see anything listed on mine that states any sugar alcohols and it is lactose free.  I received a free sample of the vitamin from my nutritionist and liked it--maybe they will send you a free sample?  It is a chewable but it is only one time a day and is a fast dissolve formula ( melts in my mouth if i decide not chew). If you still haven't found that perfect solution  maybe give them a try.  www.procarenow.com   I don't like the gummies...something about the texture! 

I have a quick question, I found celebrate online and now see they are a reputable company. I do see that they use sucralose, most might know as Splenda, in their ENS protein drink. I am trying.to stay away from all artificial sweeteners, I primarily use Stevia and wonder if anyone else tries to remain natural in their diet? To be honest, I didn't check to see if their vitamins also uses artificial sweeteners?

Sorry to be bringing up the rear Boz but yes, just about all of the chewable multivitamins and calcium are going to contain artificial sweeteners.

An alternative is to use something like Celebrate's (or Bariatric Advantage's) capsule form multivitamin.  Just pull them apart and dump the contents into one of your protein shakes or yogurt, cottage cheese, whatever.

And calcium citrate can be difficult early out if you don't want to use the chews.  The tablet forms are big.  I didn't have a problem using a pill splitter but a better option was Upcal D calcium citrate powder with vitamin D.  Just dump it into your drink or again, yogurt, etc. etc.

The upside of using Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage multivitamins (apart from meeting the asmbs.org recommendations of 200% RDA - table 5) is that they both do iron free multivitamins.  That'll allow you to take your multivitamins and calcium citrate at one and the same time.

If you're told to take iron, you can do that before bed time.