MiladyB

Nutrition and Vitamin Comparisons

72 posts in this topic

Amy, I personally wouldn't do the Flintstones, even at four a day. Four a day would give you 200% of most thing, but it still only gives you 104% of biotin and they have NO selenium. The vitamin A in them is also not absorbed well, so I don't know if you'd actually end up getting enough of that with four Flintstones or not. I mean, it wouldn't kill you to use up the rest of them, but I couldn't recommend it, either.

If affording vitamins is going to be rough for you, I can tell you that Bariatric Advantage has a program that gives free vitamins to people in need. You could contact them and ask about it. I don't know the details about it. I do know you have to have your doctor fill out some form.

Kelly

Cool, Kelly! Thanks SO much for that info! I will definitely look into it! I'm sure my doctor would fill out something to make sure I get what I need. Thanks again so much! :D

Toomany...I had to copy your info...

Aug. 27, 2009 - Joined this forum!!:D

9/2 - Added sig flair

9/2 - informational seminar

9/10 - initial consult and weight of 365

9/14 - Family Dr. appt

9/15 - Dr. requires bloodwork today

9/16 - support group mtg

9/17 - Psych Eval

9/21 - Nutitionist

9/22 - Cardiologist

9/28 - Echo and Stress test

10/8 - APPROVED!!

I can't believe people go through this process so fast! How can anyone learn a new lifestyle that quickly? Do most doctors just expect people to learn it as they go along after surgery? This is my timeline...

2/09-consultation w/ Bariatric TEAM including surgeon, physicians assistant, nutritionists, and nurses.

2/09-first nutritionist appointment

2/09 through 8/09-pretesting (leg ultrasounds, ekg, pulmonary testing, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, etc.) to make sure I'm of sound health enough to go through surgery

3/09-nutritionist, new patient orientation

4,5,6,7,8,9/09-nutritionist (ongoing)

10/09-surgery

I had to lose ten percent of my weight in order to get the recommendation from the nutritionists for surgery...none of this two weeks ahead of time stuff I've seen other people do. I'm just in complete awe that doctors would make people go into something so serious so quickly without preparing them, and making them prove they're worthy first. I guess maybe I'm a lil jealous too, lol.

But...since my surgeon and nutritionists aren't up on the latest vitamin trends for bariatric patients (we ARE in Maine after all...the slowest state in the nation) I've been told to take Flintstones twice a day. Since being on here, and having the VP of Celebrate speak about his vitamins, and who he's had developing them, I've learned better. Since I have this big bottle of Flintstones, does everyone think it'd be ok to take four a day to make up the difference until they're gone and I can get some Celebrates? It's going to be a struggle for me to afford Celebrate, but I have to do what I have to do.

To me 7 months of consulations and evaluations and such is either to also have a 6month diet in place to satisfy insurance or someone is making money from your insurance company. I mean yes, this is life changing surgery but at the end of the day we are talking about a reletively simple procedure performed by general surgeons, not specialized sureons.

However, i have taken some time to lookup and research the thingsimportant to me and while I do come here and respect the opinions of=f everyone here who has one, I use this to judge just what decisions are best for me and my journey. I will double check my iron supplements next time I go take one

I love Celebrate vitamins. The chewable flavors are awesome because I have a difficult time swallowing pills (this was even before my surgery). During my last blood work, my doctor wanted me to add iron and their chewable grape tastes awesome. My doctor's office sells them but it is a 2 hour drive. They are now available on Amazon and Ebay so that is where I get them (Amazon).

Personally, I think the Mandarin Orange flavor is disgusting. I can't seem to tolerate them anymore. Gotta save me up some money so I can order the grape flavor.

I LOVE the grape the best. You should give it a try. I didn't like the cafe latte at all but I don't drink coffee. The grape isn't so sickening sweet so it is a good bet.

Newbie here... lurking and getting all the information i can!

I have read the post/link about the comparisons. Seems the choice is clear and Celebrate come as the winner.

I think as a "soon to be on the losers bench" person and I think that if you compare the cost/benefit of having to spend X amount of cash each month on NUTRIENTS, rather than junk food... the choice is clear and should not hurt your pocket that much. Again... its just in my brain, time will tell i think

Thanks for putting all the info together for us starters.

regards

No problem. Because we make a life long commitment to vitamins and supplements, cost is important. I have learned so much from others and their experiences, I think the forum is an awesome place for us to share information. Good luck!

Hummm... my doctor recomends 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks, could that be causing me to lose weight slower?

Another thing I am taking Building Blocks (Multiple)- Essential Bariatric Supplement. I am supposed to take it 3 times a day, but i forget easily

Hummm... my doctor recomends 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks, could that be causing me to lose weight slower?

Another thing I am taking Building Blocks (Multiple)- Essential Bariatric Supplement. I am supposed to take it 3 times a day, but i forget easily

I don't think that will make your weight loss slower. I ate six times a day in the beginning and still eat five times most days and it hasn't kept me from losing weight. In the end it depends on how many calories you're eating over the course of the day, though. Weight loss usually tends to be a bit slower with the sleeve than with gastric bypass, doesn't it?

Kelly

I'm almost 3 weeks out and I still can't get the vitamins straight. Could someone just post what Vitamins they take and when. Through-out the thread, there is a little bit about each one, but nothing that says "Here's what I'm taking (mg also) and when". Beth, I saw you did this once, but it was in 2008 and the multivitamins were different.

I'd appreciate any help. My dietitian also said to take childrens vitamins.

LoriW likes this

Don't take children's vitamins. They will not give you what you need.

Here's what the ASMBS says you need, unless your labs indicate differently.

A multi that provides 200% of the RDA of most nutrients. You won't find a brand that does that in just one pill. Look for one that has 100% of stuff and take two a day.

1500-2000 mg calcium

B12. You can use a sublingual 350-500 mcg a day, the patch once a week, nasal spray once a week, or injections 1000 mcg once a month.

Iron 18-27 mg.

Most people do something like this:

Breakfast-multi, calcium, B12

Lunch-calcium

Dinner-multi, calcium

Bedtime-iron

What I do is a bit different because I use kind of weird vitamins. I use ENS from Celebrate, which is a drink mix. It's a multi plus 500 mg calcium.

I do this:

Breakfast-protein shake with Upcal D (500 mg calcium citrate), 50,000 IU D3 (because my vitamin D is low)

Afternoon-ENS

Evening-ENS

Bedtime-50

Once a week-B12 shot

Kelly

pmcq11 likes this

Thanks Kelly. At least it gives me something all together in a day.

What about the Bariatric Advantage brand. Have you tried those? I don't live near my surgeon so I currently buy the Celebrate from Amazon. I was thinking of trying the Bariatric Advantage because they are now available on Amazon. Are they better for us?

What about the Bariatric Advantage brand. Have you tried those? I don't live near my surgeon so I currently buy the Celebrate from Amazon. I was thinking of trying the Bariatric Advantage because they are now available on Amazon. Are they better for us?

I use Celebrate but would use Bariatric Advantage is they were the only other option.

To the best of my knowledge, they're the only other supplements that meet the asbs.org's RDA 200% vitamins/minerals.

Bottom line for me was taste and Celebrate won through on that one - not to mention that Celebrate's customer service is 2nd to none.

I'm currently using Bariatric Advantage, it's what my doctor recommends, but they make me break out very badly. Apparently something in the vitamins does not work for my body.

I'm looking into other brand options.

Celebrate are the only other company I'd recommend as meeting the current asbs.org recommendations: pages 7 and 8 of this document http://www.asbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

They're my vitamins of choice.

Contact Celebrate and ask for free samples: Contact Us

I received this interpret from my sawbones's nutritionist today. As a keep aggroup mortal I get members who love had unlike types of coefficient release surgery. I sought to hump the disagreement between the nutrition and vitamin recommendations for the varies types of coefficient disadvantage surgeries. She dispatched me this represent and I thought all of you might maturate it as reformative as I did.

---------

Joe Dillon

can someone please email me a text copy of this i have windows 7 and it wont let me open the download.Thanks [email protected]

Hello all,

I'm reposting this here since I think this thread may get read a lot more.

My original thread is:

"Opurity Bariatric Multivitamin and Chewable Calcium"

For those with sugar alcohol and milk intolerance

Bariatric fusion, celebrate, bariatric advantage, optisource all contain sugar alcohols and or milk products and personally cause me lots of problems. Unfortunately, no one on here has been able to point me to a bariatric vitamin that I can tolerate. So far I've been using flintstones complete in the interim, but yesterday after meeting with my dietician and complained about the sugar alcohol and milk in these vitamins and not being able to find a calcium chewable without sugar alcohol, she recommended opurity which is by the company that make unjury. Personally I can not use celebrate which I know is the prefered go to for most of the regulars on here, so if you can tolerate them perhaps those are a better option. Opurity seems to be of very good quality comparitively, is a once a day, follows asmbs guidelines with modifications based on the most current research and guidelines, uses the correct forms of each vitamin/mineral (D3, betacarotene, (excepts calcium (read next), does require a calcium supplement which they also make milk and alcohol sugar free ( supplement is calcium citrate, but the multivit contains carbonate in low levels as to not interfere with iron intake). Anyway my RD had some samples it is orange flavored, not offensive most importantly it didn't cause me severe stomach problems like the other vits I've tried. Also asked about using a pill form instead of chewable was told to wait at least 3-4months before trying (YMMV with your own program). Opurity website below (personally I don't know what all this anti-chinese product is about in their information). I'd like to reiterate I'm presenting this as an alternative for those with digestion issues caused by other bariatric multivitamins.

http://www.opurity.com/

Edited by nineset

Hello all,

I'm reposting this here since I think this thread may get read a lot more.

My original thread is:

"Opurity Bariatric Multivitamin and Chewable Calcium"

For those with sugar alcohol and milk intolerance

Bariatric fusion, celebrate, bariatric advantage, optisource all contain sugar alcohols and or milk products and personally cause me lots of problems. Unfortunately, no one on here has been able to point me to a bariatric vitamin that I can tolerate. So far I've been using flintstones complete in the interim, but yesterday after meeting with my dietician and complained about the sugar alcohol and milk in these vitamins and not being able to find a calcium chewable without sugar alcohol, she recommended opurity which is by the company that make unjury. Personally I can not use celebrate which I know is the prefered go to for most of the regulars on here, so if you can tolerate them perhaps those are a better option. Opurity seems to be of very good quality comparitively, is a once a day, follows asmbs guidelines with modifications based on the most current research and guidelines, uses the correct forms of each vitamin/mineral (D3, betacarotene, (excepts calcium (read next), does require a calcium supplement which they also make milk and alcohol sugar free ( supplement is calcium citrate, but the multivit contains carbonate in low levels as to not interfere with iron intake). Anyway my RD had some samples it is orange flavored, not offensive most importantly it didn't cause me severe stomach problems like the other vits I've tried. Also asked about using a pill form instead of chewable was told to wait at least 3-4months before trying (YMMV with your own program). Opurity website below (personally I don't know what all this anti-chinese product is about in their information). I'd like to reiterate I'm presenting this as an alternative for those with digestion issues caused by other bariatric multivitamins.

https://www.opurity....ti-vitamin.html

Thank you for sharing this information. The company that makes Unjury is extremely well respected and I suspect that these may be a good choice for people with the sensitivity that you have. Thank you for leaving the website information. For my own curiousity I'm going to run them past my surgeon's bariatric nutritionist and see what she thinks about them. I'm a support group leader and have had a members or two who just can't tolerate any of the other bariatric vitamins. These may be the answer for her too.

Thanks!

Update: Well my nutritionist got back to me right away. I had her look over the info. I was a little concerned about the fact that the vitamin was only once a day and that it contained iron. Here is what she said and her personal recommendations:

"It actually looks like a pretty good product…the key items are in the correct dosages so I would be ok with 1 per day. Five calcium tablets would be recommended over 4 daily. I would tell them to chew 2/2 times per day and 1/1 time per day for a total of 5 per day. And you are also correct, the multi can’t be taken with the calcium (2 hours between is needed)."

Now my other personal concern would be the absorption of the iron. I know you mentioned that the Calcium was in a low enough dose that it wouldn't cause a problem. I guess my biggest concern would be when are you taking it? In regards to iron you always have to be aware that there are quite a few things that will affect the absorption. You shouldn't be taking iron with coffee, tea, dairy products, egg yolks, fiber or soy. I don't know about you but alot of those things are what I have for breakfast. I'm not saying that's a reason not to take the multi but I would suggest that you may want to take it before bed or supplement later in the day with additional iron. 36mg of iron may not be enough depending on what form it is in.

Well thanks again for sharing this. I always appreciate having new good products to share with my support group.

Edited by MiladyB

Thank you for sharing this information. The company that makes Unjury is extremely well respected and I suspect that these may be a good choice for people with the sensitivity that you have. Thank you for leaving the website information. For my own curiousity I'm going to run them past my surgeon's bariatric nutritionist and see what she thinks about them. I'm a support group leader and have had a members or two who just can't tolerate any of the other bariatric vitamins. These may be the answer for her too.

Thanks!

Update: Well my nutritionist got back to me right away. I had her look over the info. I was a little concerned about the fact that the vitamin was only once a day and that it contained iron. Here is what she said and her personal recommendations:

"It actually looks like a pretty good product…the key items are in the correct dosages so I would be ok with 1 per day. Five calcium tablets would be recommended over 4 daily. I would tell them to chew 2/2 times per day and 1/1 time per day for a total of 5 per day. And you are also correct, the multi can’t be taken with the calcium (2 hours between is needed)."

Now my other personal concern would be the absorption of the iron. I know you mentioned that the Calcium was in a low enough dose that it wouldn't cause a problem. I guess my biggest concern would be when are you taking it? In regards to iron you always have to be aware that there are quite a few things that will affect the absorption. You shouldn't be taking iron with coffee, tea, dairy products, egg yolks, fiber or soy. I don't know about you but alot of those things are what I have for breakfast. I'm not saying that's a reason not to take the multi but I would suggest that you may want to take it before bed or supplement later in the day with additional iron. 36mg of iron may not be enough depending on what form it is in.

Well thanks again for sharing this. I always appreciate having new good products to share with my support group.

Thank you Beth I really appreciate you and your RD taking a look at them. It has been really important to me to find a good vitamin. Now if they only could get them in stock :-) Thanks for the information about the iron too I wasn't aware about not taking it with egg yolks fiber or soy.

Thank you Beth I really appreciate you and your RD taking a look at them. It has been really important to me to find a good vitamin. Now if they only could get them in stock :-) Thanks for the information about the iron too I wasn't aware about not taking it with egg yolks fiber or soy.

You're very welcome. Happy to share any information that I have and my RD is always happy to check out products for me and give me her opinion.

I was googling and found whey proteins on Wikipedia. Checked the footnotes, found a consumer report about heavy metals in protein drinks. If you have three a day, you could be damaging your kidneys. Here's a link to the chart.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

Find a healthy one!!

My hospital recommends 21st Century Mega Multi Vitamin for Women (for everyone), along with D3, B12, Calcium Citrate, Iron and Magnesium.