stamich0830

Lap-band vs. Realize band

8 posts in this topic

Hi everybody. I have started my journey towards wls. What are the real differences between the Lapband and Realize band? To me they look the same and do the same thing. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thank You

Stacey

Some insurance companies won't cover the realize band as it has not been around as long as the lap band. A lot of doctors only do one or the other not both-- I found that there werent many doctors in my area that covered the realize band.

Good luck with your decision. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone elses answers.

I researched both (my doc offers both) and chose the LB (he selected the size APS=Standard or APL=Large while looking at my anatomy; I got the LB-APS). My primary reason for getting the LB was the design of the band itself with the wedge shapes in the center this keeps even pressure on your stomach/new stoma and keeps it a circular shape. The Realize band has one inner surface that creases (think of it like one of those long balloons you make animals out of and then try to make a tight circle with it; the inner edge will fold/crease to make the circle). Some say it pinches the new stoma into a triangle shape instead of a circle and that there is more chance of that inner surface of the band leaking where the folds/creases are created. Realize did improve their band recently (some docs are still using the old design thought) to make the outside (harder surface) of their band to be pre-curved like the LB has always been. All this is heavily debated between LB'ers. Just continue to do some of your own research and I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. Most banders have great success and no problems with either band. Best wishes! -BG

I went to a wls seminar last night and they passed the lap band and realize band around the room; it seems we get to choose as the surgery group offers both. I thought the chamber where the saline fits was thicker on the lap band - and I liked that, seemed more durable.

The realize band did have some recall issues from some of its stock, My surgeon said he was sticking to what he saw worked well so far- so he does not do the realize. Ask your Dr for best answer

Overall, both are least invasive surgery and includes no stapling or cutting. If you are looking for weight loss surgery, you can go for either lap band or realize band surgery.

I actually wanted the band before looking into bypass more thoroughly. My surgeon told me that the port on the lap-band cannot be replaced easily. They had to get a realize band and cut off the end of the lap-band and make them work together for that patient. I know the lap-band is sewn in place where the realize-band is stapled into place. But with the realize-band having an easy to replace the port you just pull a switch and it pops off I would most likely say the realize-band is better. But that's just my opinion.

It's my understanding that there's not a lot between the two but the upside with the realize band is that the port has a lower profile and is less noticeable as the patient loses weight than others.

This is good information and there's a comparison chart for the lap band and realize band: http://www.wlshelp.com/lap-band-vs-realize-band.html

I have the realize band. I chose it because I liked the website at the time and felt it had a bigger support system. This was in 2008 when all the commercials on TV were about the realize band. I deeply regret it. I was banded in a different state so my current doctor is a different doctor, but my current surgeon will no longer use the realize band. He says the fills are harder to do. This could have happened with either band but the realize band has to come out due to complications so I am revising to RNY, but I would go with allergen.