ashleyw889

Denied...Again

31 posts in this topic

You still have to have laproscopic surgery if you're getting a band, Ashley.

I'd go back and work on the insurance.

Isn't RNY Gastric Bypass? I'm not getting that. I'm getting the lap band.

Oh, thank goodness!!! When I was thinking about lapband, and I had thought I would have to pay, I found a doc in cincy that did it for under $10K and it was supposed to include everything...I think fills up to one year. I thought there was another one in Denver, too. So, I guess his price is reasonable--for lapband.

Wow, you had me scared for a minute.

Lap band is often done as an outpatient surgery. It should be done in a hospital, though, in case there are problems.

Kelly

Congratulations on your decision to lead a healthier life. Along with that decision I would strongly encourage you to take it to a whole body approach when looking into your options going forward.

You're doing this for your health.

Your doing this so you can live a longer, happier life - for you and your family.

This is not the time to be bargain shopping. Nor is it the time to find an 'in-n-out' office that will do a quickie for at the expense of your health.

As far as the Mexico deal goes - I've heard about cheaper surgeries down there too - but I've also seen John mention that Dr. Callery sees quite a few patients every year that need to have revisions done to repair poorly performed surgeries from there. I'm sure there are folks that have been successful, or just lucky...but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Please don't allow desperation to set in...not when your health is involved. Do a query on 'complications' - and see what others have gone through. Not all are from bad surgeries, but many are from bad aftercare and other issues that come up. Desperation leads to poor decisions - and where this surgery is concerned - those poor decisions can take more years off your life than the extra weight will, and the years you may have with improper care may not be very high quality.

Truely, I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom - but done wrong, or for the wrong reasons - this surgery can really negatively affect your health. You need to have the proper care before, during and long after that knife touches you.

LOL Sorry to scare you Stacie. ;)

I appreciate it Mel. :-) The surgeon that is going to do my surgery also did my best friend's surgery. Memorial Herman hospital is one of the best hospitals in the country. I'll be having my surgery done at a branch of that hospital.

My doctor said it is normally outpatient surgery. He did tell me that if I felt like I needed to stay over night or if there were any complications, they would have me stay over night.

He was upfront and honest with me about the complications.

I researched the surgery for many, many months before I decided to go through with it. I even talked to patients in the waiting room each time I went just to see how they felt after the surgery.

I feel like he is a really good doctor from what I have read and from what I have heard from previous patients.

I would keep on plugging away at getting approved. You are only 4/10s shy of the requirement and if you can get them to approve for payment thats a whole lot nicer than paying off a loan. You should get your sugar level checked via a glucose tolerance test so that you know for certain, but not only for the purpose of surgical approval, for the purpose of knowing if you are either glucose intolerant or diabetic. Diabetes is a dangerous disease, and most certainly more dangerous if undiagnosed and untreated. I should know, as mine went undiagnosed for at least a year, even though I had every single symptom but my blood sugar on a NORMAL blood draw never indicated a sugar issue. I have permanent damage to my right eye and it took me being hospitalize for 5 days before they ever isolated the diabetes as an issue. I do live in the country, and we are a little backwards out here as far as medical attention goes, so don't panic based on my story. Just be as diligent about getting diabetes ruled out as you have been about getting approved for this surgery. Good luck!