Photo
- - - - -

Soup Tips & Ideas for PreOp Liquid Diet!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Momof2boys

Momof2boys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Daniel Lane
  • Hospital:Mobile Infirmary
  • Start Weight:398
  • Current Weight:237
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):60.2
  • Surgery Date:09/21/2009

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ok- Maybe this will help some of you, maybe you all know this already and I am 'late to the game'..but after being a silent lurker for so long, I figured I would try to give some useful input..

I am on day 8 of my liquid diet and I am not doing so bad.. yes, temptations are everywhere, and yes, i do have the stomach growling.. but I have some ideas and tips that may help some of you and would like some of you to share your tips and ideas...

Box broth is gross! LOL - so i have come up with an awesome recipe..and IT IS EASY..so dont skip this just because you think im about to give you a long hard recipe...

In a large soup pot put a tablespoon of butter... throw some whole mushrooms, rough chopped onions, rough chopped green onions, (these are my three fav..but u can also add leeks, squash, bellpeppers and anything else u like the flavor of)..saute it down with seasonings, (salt, pepper, greek seasoning, etc)... then pour 2 boxes of chicken broth, 2 cans of vegetable broth and 2 cans of french onion soup.. let it simmer for a while to get all that good vege flavor out.. then strain it.. OMG!! IT IS TO DIE FOR YUMMY!! My hubby likes snacking on the veges I strained out..

You can also go to a chinese resteraunt (ours happens to be a buffet) and ask for a quart of the wonton soup with no wontons.. it is $2 at ours for a quart.. and is yummy with the soy sauce while I'm working..

I keep a coffee mug with a sippy top on it at my desk at work all day of warm soup to sip on.. keeps the hunger away..

Also, now that my surgery is Monday I made a double batch of my 'soup' and froze the broth in ice trays... then put the 'ice cubes' of broth in a gallon zip lock bag. Each cube is approx one ounce...so when my hubby is caring for me, i wont have to eat that nasty box broth... he can thaw one block at a time...

I hope one of those soup tips helps someone.. :P

Anyone else have any to share??
Happiness is no longer in a bag of chips.. it's looking in the mirror :)

HEAVIEST (Pre-Liquid Diet prep)/CURRENT/ 1ST GOAL
398/241/199

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SEPTEMBER 21, 2009 - My 2nd Birthday- Lap RYN! :D

2/13/10 Twoterville! Never to look back! :) OOOO JOYFUL DAYS!:D

#2 hihiknez

hihiknez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Start Weight:360
  • Current Weight:341
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:09/29/2009

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Ok- Maybe this will help some of you, maybe you all know this already and I am 'late to the game'..but after being a silent lurker for so long, I figured I would try to give some useful input..

I am on day 8 of my liquid diet and I am not doing so bad.. yes, temptations are everywhere, and yes, i do have the stomach growling.. but I have some ideas and tips that may help some of you and would like some of you to share your tips and ideas...

Box broth is gross! LOL - so i have come up with an awesome recipe..and IT IS EASY..so dont skip this just because you think im about to give you a long hard recipe...

In a large soup pot put a tablespoon of butter... throw some whole mushrooms, rough chopped onions, rough chopped green onions, (these are my three fav..but u can also add leeks, squash, bellpeppers and anything else u like the flavor of)..saute it down with seasonings, (salt, pepper, greek seasoning, etc)... then pour 2 boxes of chicken broth, 2 cans of vegetable broth and 2 cans of french onion soup.. let it simmer for a while to get all that good vege flavor out.. then strain it.. OMG!! IT IS TO DIE FOR YUMMY!! My hubby likes snacking on the veges I strained out..

You can also go to a chinese resteraunt (ours happens to be a buffet) and ask for a quart of the wonton soup with no wontons.. it is $2 at ours for a quart.. and is yummy with the soy sauce while I'm working..

I keep a coffee mug with a sippy top on it at my desk at work all day of warm soup to sip on.. keeps the hunger away..

Also, now that my surgery is Monday I made a double batch of my 'soup' and froze the broth in ice trays... then put the 'ice cubes' of broth in a gallon zip lock bag. Each cube is approx one ounce...so when my hubby is caring for me, i wont have to eat that nasty box broth... he can thaw one block at a time...

I hope one of those soup tips helps someone.. :P

Anyone else have any to share??

Hi, those ideas sound great! I totally just wrote them down! My surgery is September 29. I am so anxious! My doctor has not put me on a pre op diet and I keep hearing about them so I called yesterday and s/w the dietician and she still said the doctor felt I didn't need to be on a pre op diet since I lost the 2 pounds he asked me to on my own without a diet plan from him...?...My pre op appointment is on 9/24...I wonder if he will put me on one then? My sister had lapband done and she said for sure the doctor will make me do the barium drink- I dont know what that is so I dont know if I am spelling it correct either- sorry. Do you know what that is? Anyway, when I got approved for my surgery of course I got nervous and felt like I better go have a few of my favorite things now- I didnt over do it but I also didnt exercise for a whole week! I usually excercise at least 30 minutes 4-6 times a week. So, needless to say I gained 3 pounds! :eek:so I am on a strict diet again to lose them before I weigh in on 9/24 for pre op! Yikes! My sister said the doc will be making me cleanse my system once I go in for the pre op appt anyway so not to worry...what's your insight? -thanks, hihi :)

#3 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

Barium is something they have you drink while taking an x-ray. They might do it before surgery, to look for any problems. But many doctors don't do it before surgery. Mine didn't. They might do it after your surgery, to check for leaks. But not all doctors do that, either. Mine didn't. So you might not have to do it. Ask your doctor.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#4 Momof2boys

Momof2boys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

I'm hearing that not all drs put u on the liquid diet.. I'm glad mine did.. Not to get gross.. But I think it has really cleaned my system out! Just seems like that's needed before this type of surgery, to me.. U will def be on liquids after so u can use those soup ideas then too..

I have also heard of drs giving you the jug type laxative like u would take before a colonoscopy.. Which would be the day before ur surg.. And if so, u better be close to ur bathroom ALL DAY! And I mean veryyy close lol .. I'd rather have the liquid diet!

398/241/199

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Okie Sunshine

Okie Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Surgeon:Toby Broussard
  • Hospital:Foundation Bariatrics
  • Start Weight:333
  • Current Weight:277
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:04/21/2010

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

Mmmm....that sounds yummy. I am going to remember that as I'm hoping to get a surgery date in the next few months (or as soon as I finish losing the 33 lbs that he required me to).

Besides cleaning you out, I think a lot of Dr's use the pre-op liquid diet to shrink your liver which helps the surgery be safer. I think mine requires the pre-op diet but if he doesn't I'm going to do it anyway to help the surgery be safer.

~Breanna

#6 Momof2boys

Momof2boys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Brianna..The liver is the exact reason my dr told me to do it. On day 7 I had lost 15 lb and one pant size.. May try liquids to help get ur 33 lb off if that's all that's stopping u from getting on surg calendar :-)

398/241/199

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Okie Sunshine

Okie Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Surgeon:Toby Broussard
  • Hospital:Foundation Bariatrics
  • Start Weight:333
  • Current Weight:277
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:04/21/2010

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

hmmm....now why didn't I think of that?? :confused: So simple and the answer was right in front of me..LOL.

I think I'll pick up some stuff to do a liquid diet on my next run to the grocery store and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea!
Breanna

#8 hihiknez

hihiknez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Mmmm....that sounds yummy. I am going to remember that as I'm hoping to get a surgery date in the next few months (or as soon as I finish losing the 33 lbs that he required me to).

Besides cleaning you out, I think a lot of Dr's use the pre-op liquid diet to shrink your liver which helps the surgery be safer. I think mine requires the pre-op diet but if he doesn't I'm going to do it anyway to help the surgery be safer.

~Breanna

I have been taking a colon cleanser up until today-because I am now 10 days away from surgery so my doc told me to stop taking all of those kind of things. So liquid diet sounds like a good idea as some of you are saying it will make things safer and help me lose a little bit more weight before the surgery. But, what is the pre- op diet? What do you have to do? What liquid do you have to drink? Can someone explain it to me please?;)

#9 Momof2boys

Momof2boys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

I have been taking a colon cleanser up until today-because I am now 10 days away from surgery so my doc told me to stop taking all of those kind of things. So liquid diet sounds like a good idea as some of you are saying it will make things safer and help me lose a little bit more weight before the surgery. But, what is the pre- op diet? What do you have to do? What liquid do you have to drink? Can someone explain it to me please?;)

Hihiknez - Each dr may be different, but according to the pamplet I have in my hand, this is mine (I am down 17 lbs in 9 days)

1- 100% fruit juice, gatorade, powerade (limit to 2 cups or less per day)
2- Regular jello, popsicles, no sugar fudgsicles (limit to three or less per day)
3- one cup milk (skim, 1%, 2%, lactaid), 8 oz light yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese (3 or less per day)
4- no sugar shakes (carnation, adkins, optima slimfast, eas, advantage) (limit to two per day)

These liquids can be taken in any amount:
1- sugar free beverages (crystal light, wylers light, s/f kool aid, s/f tang, diet snapple, diet soft drinks, fruit 20, propel, water, coffeee or tee with sugar substitute)
2- broth soups, any variety
3- sugar free popsicles
4- sugar free jello

**Three days prior to surgery restrict to clear liquids only and limit sugar**

This is my 10day preop diet given to me to follow by my doctor. Hope this helps ;)

398/241/199

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Different doctors require different pre-op diets. Some allow only liquids. Some allow two protein shakes and one small low carb meal per day. It just depends on your doctor. Some doctors don't require a special pre-op diet at all.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#11 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

Hihiknez - Each dr may be different, but according to the pamplet I have in my hand, this is mine (I am down 17 lbs in 9 days)

2- Regular jello, popsicles, no sugar fudgsicles (limit to three or less per day)
3- one cup milk (skim, 1%, 2%, lactaid), 8 oz light yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese (3 or less per day)
4- no sugar shakes (carnation, adkins, optima slimfast, eas, advantage) (limit to two per day)

1- sugar free beverages (crystal light, wylers light, s/f kool aid, s/f tang, diet snapple, diet soft drinks, fruit 20, propel, water, coffeee or tee with sugar substitute)
3- sugar free popsicles
4- sugar free jello

This is my 10day preop diet given to me to follow by my doctor. Hope this helps ;)

Diet soft drinks are on your pre-op diet? I find that funny. Since you can't have soda after surgery, they usually tell you not to have them during the pre-op diet, either.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#12 hollycerniglia

hollycerniglia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationSummertown, TN
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lynch
  • Hospital:Baptist Hospital
  • Start Weight:273
  • Current Weight:195
  • Surgery Date:08/24/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

Good luck tomorrow with your surgery!
Holly

Onederland 3/29/10

Start/Current/Goal 273/ 195/ 150

#13 hihiknez

hihiknez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

3- sugar free popsicles
4- sugar free jello

Thanks- now....what exactly is meant by clear liquids only- because to me that sounds like just water...or does it mean if you can dilute it enough with water and it is see through then it is considered a clear liquid?:confused: Like diet sprite- is clear liquid right?

#14 hihiknez

hihiknez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

3- sugar free popsicles
4- sugar free jello

What is considered a clear liquid besides the obvious? Anything you can see through?

#15 hihiknez

hihiknez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

Clear liquid is like water, broth, jello, popsicles.
Full liquid is adding things like tomato soup, yogurt, etc.

Thanks- I see. :)

#16 hihiknez

hihiknez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Diet soft drinks are on your pre-op diet? I find that funny. Since you can't have soda after surgery, they usually tell you not to have them during the pre-op diet, either.

Kelly

I only saw " no sugar added " fudgsicles...anyone know where to find the sugar free ones???

#17 Momof2boys

Momof2boys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

Ive Seen them at Kroger.. but i dont like chocolate or fudge so I have not really looked everywhere...

Kelly- I was suprised with the soft drinks too.. esp since u have to stop the day of surg.. so i opted to wein myself off the diet cokes for weeks before the preop diet and not have any during the preop.. No way was i going to recover from surgery AND withdraw from caffine and diet cokes!!!! LOL

398/241/199

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 tams66

tams66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hey Momof2boys,

Very smart weining yourself pre-surgery. I ended up having my bypass in an emergency situation because my band was eroded and I was in really bad shape inside, so I didn't have the chance to do anything pre-op. Wow, the caffeine headache in the hospital was worse than the pain from surgery. The afternoon before they operated it was intolerable and I had to keep asking for something for the pain. But, now I'm completely caffeine free and haven't had any issues so far.

That would be my advice to anyone who's addicted to coffee or soda (I was addicted to both), wein yourself off prior too...

#19 Momof2boys

Momof2boys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

Tams.. Ur so right! The withdrawals can be intolerable! I stopped suddenly 9 yrs ago on advise of my dr when I was preg with my 2nd child.. It put me in the er.. Dr advised I drink diet cokes again... It was that bad. That nightmare and pain prevented mr from ever trying to stop again.. So I knew when the surg was set I had no choice but do it slow.. Steady.. And BEFORE surg!

Def my advise to anyone addicted to caffine!

398/241/199

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]