Jeanettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Surgeon:Touliatos
  • Hospital:Trinity Medical Center
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

I just got an Implanon Birth control implant in my left arm last thursday, and just thought i'd share a bit with everyone on here...

I'm sure all women who are undergoing or have already had their wls know that birth control is super important because our fertitily increases with weight loss.

Before surgery i did the shot, thinking it was the best option for me. Taking pills is not a good choice for us because we may not absorb the medicine well and could get pregnant anyways.

I did the shot after y surgery as well, but i was concerned about fertilty returning slowly, so i did more research and discovered Implanon.

It's a small match stick sized plastic rod they insert on the under side of your arm. The actual insertion didn't really hurt, the local they gave me burned a little, but it was nothing compared to all the needle pokes of surgery. lol. It's sore for a few days afterwards, but mine is healing nicely. you can see the rod a bit under your skin, but i figured having a bunch of staples in my gut didn't freak me out, so neither should a plastic stick, lol.

The rod stays in for three years, and uses the same hormones as the shot. It has similar side effects, but once removed, your fertility return right away. MY doctor told me i'd probably have the same side effects on Implanon as i did on the shot. I didn't gain any weight from the shot, and i'm still losing with the implant as well. the main side effect is changes in menstral cycles... they can get heavier, lighter, or stop... Mine tend to stop or be very very light (which is great for me since i have anemia problems that get worse when on my period). I had never even heard of this method of birth control before last month, but my boyfriend read some article on it and suggested it to me. I did research on it on planned parenthood's website and decided it was a good choice for me.

I just wanted to share, in case there are others like me looking for someting different.
Surgery: 2/27/09
Height: 5'5.5"
Highest/surgery/current/goal
270/262/162!/155
Total weight loss so far- 108lbs!
FEB (Pre op diet)- 8lbs
MAR- 22lbs
APR- 15lbs
MAY- 12lbs ONEDERVILLE!
JUN-13lbs
JUL- 12lbs
AUG- 13lbs
SEP- 9lbs CENTURY CLUB!
OCT-4lbs
Highest BMI- 43, Current BMI- 26.7 NO LONGER OBESE!

#2 Jeanie

Jeanie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. C
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

That's interesting I have never heard of this either. So can you take it out early if you want to get pregnant before the three years is up?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lap Dr. Callery

July 7, 2004

Savanna Annmarie was born on 10/14/2008 Morgan Jeanie was born 4/4/12

#3 Jeanettie

Jeanettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Surgeon:Touliatos
  • Hospital:Trinity Medical Center
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

yes you can. Getting it removed takes a bit longer and is a bit more difficult than getting it put in, since they may have to dig a little for it. They have to make a small cut to get it out. But they give you a local and it doesn't hurt.

Mine will probably end up coming out before i need to have surgery on my arms (unfortunutely it'll be in the way). Depending on when I have this done, i may or may not get another one after healing
Surgery: 2/27/09
Height: 5'5.5"
Highest/surgery/current/goal
270/262/162!/155
Total weight loss so far- 108lbs!
FEB (Pre op diet)- 8lbs
MAR- 22lbs
APR- 15lbs
MAY- 12lbs ONEDERVILLE!
JUN-13lbs
JUL- 12lbs
AUG- 13lbs
SEP- 9lbs CENTURY CLUB!
OCT-4lbs
Highest BMI- 43, Current BMI- 26.7 NO LONGER OBESE!

#4 Jeanie

Jeanie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. C
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2004

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lap Dr. Callery

July 7, 2004

Savanna Annmarie was born on 10/14/2008 Morgan Jeanie was born 4/4/12

#5 sgtsbabygirl

sgtsbabygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Saragian
  • Hospital:Blanchfield Army Hospital

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

yes you can. Getting it removed takes a bit longer and is a bit more difficult than getting it put in, since they may have to dig a little for it. They have to make a small cut to get it out. But they give you a local and it doesn't hurt.

Mine will probably end up coming out before i need to have surgery on my arms (unfortunutely it'll be in the way). Depending on when I have this done, i may or may not get another one after healing

Thank you so much for sharing! This sounds like a great idea, writing it down for the doctor :)

#6 batiekall05

batiekall05

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Surgeon:Derek Weiss and John Oldham
  • Hospital:Central Baptist Hospital
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):54

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

I went to my OB yesterday and we talked about different BC methods. I had narrowed it down to the ring and implanon. She said for me the ring would make my endometriosis worse because of the estrogen. I'm going with implanon... Just waiting on insurance approval. UGH!!!

I have 2 friends that have had it for over a year and they both LOVE IT! They said the first few months there will be a lot of spotting and break through bleeding, but after you get over that it's AMAZING!

How do you like the rod now?
<3 Katie <3

Highest Weight: 316.8 Lbs
Surgery Weight: 307 lbs March 18, 2009
Current Weight: 199.2!!!

Goal Weight:180 Lbs (Hopefully LESS!)

Starting July Challenge at... 252.4
Starting August Challenge at... 238.0

Starting September Challenge at... 228.4
Joined CENTURY CLUB 11-04-09
ONEderland 6-5-2010

I don't just want to be beautiful on the inside... I want to feel beautiful on the outside too!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 SueLaine

SueLaine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationEastern North Carolina
  • Surgeon:Dr. Mann
  • Hospital:Pitt County Memorial Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:330
  • Current Weight:231
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):60
  • Surgery Date:02/03/2011

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

Ive had my implanon for going on a year now and I'm completely in love with it!! I had tons of problems with break through bleeding on the pill, and thought i would bleed to death with both of my IUDs (mirena and paraguard) so I decided to give this a whirl. It is WONDERFUL!! I have only had two (very spotty not heavy at all) periods since I got it inserted!! It did pinch a little every now and then at first if i moved my arm just the right way but now I forget its even there!! At my 3 year mark i will definitely have them replace it with another!!:D
Susan

#8 racheyrach

racheyrach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Raftopolous
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:118
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Surgery Date:11/09/2010

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

i got implanon about 6 months ago... and it has given me acne.. so just pay attention.. also i went to a dermatologist and theres nothing i can do about it im having it taken out on the 27th.. hopefully taking it out will stop the period ive had since before my surgery

but good luck on it everyone has different side effects

Posted Image

211- only obese - passed
158- only overweight-passed
132- normal- passed
115-129- goal- made an still losing!! so happy i made this decisions i feel sooo healthy