My Dr. has prescribed Vitamin D gels (50,000 units) that I take once per week. I called my Dr. and explained that I didn't think I would absorb the gelcaps after surgery. Dr.'s office called back and told me to check with my pharmacy which is Aetna mailorder. A pharmacist called me back today and told me to cut open the gelcaps and squeeze the liquid into applesauce or pudding. He said there used to be injections but they are no longer available. Anyone heard of this before?

You need D3 and it sounds like you have been given D2. We don't absorb D2 very well. D3 is not available by prescription, it is only available over the counter.

Kelly

You need D3 and it sounds like you have been given D2. We don't absorb D2 very well. D3 is not available by prescription, it is only available over the counter.

Kelly

Yep, what she said!

I have this same perscripton - had been taking for over a year to increase my levels - which are now to the normal..in fact they're a little over - so they've backed me off to 50,000 IU every other week.

Mine are gelcaps too - and absorb just fine (and they're D3)

If it's your surgeon that orders it, it should be fine on most counts.

Edited by Kymel

I didn't know you could get D3 by prescription. I also thought we needed the dry form of vitamin D. Where oh where is Corrine?

Kelly

50,000IU gelcaps of vitamin D are always D2 (Ergocalciferol).

We absorb the dry form D3 (Cholecalciferol) far better. D3 is the human form; D2 is the non-human form found in plants and is cheaper!

But apart from that, people with malabsorptive procedures absorb the dry forms of the fat soluable vitamins A, C, D and E over the oil based supplements.

Regarding vitamin D, this is from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement -- Houghton and Vieth 84 (4): 694 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

The top two bariatric supplement companies: Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage only use D3 (Cholecalciferol).

The cheapest 50,000IU dry form D3 I know of is from vitalady - $21.49/100 tabs: Vitalady.com - Protein Supplements, Vitamins & Minerals and Safe Snacks!

I have this same perscripton - had been taking for over a year to increase my levels - which are now to the normal..in fact they're a little over - so they've backed me off to 50,000 IU every other week.

Mine are gelcaps too - and absorb just fine (and they're D3)

If it's your surgeon that orders it, it should be fine on most counts.

Mel - what colour are your D3 gel caps and what does it have written on them?

Mel - what colour are your D3 gel caps and what does it have written on them?

Dark green, PA140

I'll have to look at the bottle tonight for further info. Now I'm curious

Dark green, PA140

I'll have to look at the bottle tonight for further info. Now I'm curious

post-1935-0-41005800-1378992875_thumb.jp

Sorry Mel but these aren't D3 (Cholecalciferol). They are D2 (Ergocalciferol).

You can identify them here - the "PA140" shows that they are manufacturerd/distributed by Pliva Inc. Ergocalciferol Pill Identification

Sadly, even if your doc/surgeon is on the ball and writes a prescription for D3, your pharmacy will give you the little green D2 gel cap.

Most people don't realize that in the US, it it legal for your pharmacy to interchange some drugs/high dose supplements and they consider D2 and D3 to be equivalent.

Incidentally, this is is based on studies of rickets prevention in infants conducted 70+ years ago!

These are worth the read:

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/84/4/694.pdf

FHA - [Vitamin D2 or vitamin D3? - Article Summary

The dry form D3 (Cholecalciferol) is available from Biotech and a little cheaper from vitalady.com - link given below.

Good to know, thanks Corrine. I'll have to start asking some questions.

I am wondering though if I really need to be concerned that much, where my blood work came in fine last time? Pre-op I started at a super defecient level of like around 3, where the norm is between 75-90 I think he said. Now I'm at 105... that was coming from the endocryneologist when I went in for my DEXA scan results lecture (was low because of lacking calcium).

Mel, even though it seems you have absorbed some of the D2, since your levels have improved, I personally would still switch to D3. I mean, why not? We know it is absorbed better. It's not that expensive. It's not hard to get or anything.

Kelly

Just thought I'd pop in and add what I've discovered.

I had an extra written prescription laying on my desk and noticed that it was actually written for D2 - so no swap by the pharmacy. The bottle days D2 of course also.

I did pick up some D3 (1000IU) this weekend and will start taking that along with the D2.

I do take the Celebrate Calcicum Plus - which includes D, but they don't specify what kind.

Corrine or anyone else know the info on it? Just want to be sure I'm accounting for all the correct mg's I'm taking in different forms (multi vit, calcicum, otc pills, etc)

Thanks ladies!

I do take the Celebrate Calcicum Plus - which includes D, but they don't specify what kind.

Corrine or anyone else know the info on it? Just want to be sure I'm accounting for all the correct mg's I'm taking in different forms (multi vit, calcicum, otc pills, etc)

Thanks ladies!

I don't believe that 50,000IU of vitamin D3 is available by prescription.

Celebrate use D3 (Cholecalciferol) in both their Calcium Citrate tablets and chewables: Bariatric Vitamins | Gastric Bypass Vitamins | Celebrate Bariatric Vitamins

Vitacost sell dry form D3 at a competitive price. They do the 1,000, 2,000 and 4,000IU doses. Don't get the softgels: NSI vitamin D3 capsules - Vitacost

Vitalady does them in 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 and 50,000IU dry form caps: Vitalady.com - Protein Supplements, Vitamins & Minerals and Safe Snacks!

The D3 1000 mg tablets I just bought today at Walmart are Nature Made. The first ingredient is calcium carbonate (we aren't suppose to have that, right?) It does say it is the Cholecalciferol. Do you think these are ok or should I order some from vitalady?

The D3 1000 mg tablets I just bought today at Walmart are Nature Made. The first ingredient is calcium carbonate (we aren't suppose to have that, right?) It does say it is the Cholecalciferol. Do you think these are ok or should I order some from vitalady?

It isn't so much that we're not supposed to have calcium carbonate, we just don't absorb it too well.

You can ignore the calcium carbonate in the Nature Made Vitamin D tablet is just a filler and it's not a large amount so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just made sure you take calcium citrate supplements as well. The current recommendation for WLS is 5,000 - 2,000mg.

If you have a GNC locally, you can get a vitamin D3: Vitamin D - Bone Health - GNC

Vitacost also has a good selection of vitamin D3 and so do vitalady - links given earlier.

Edited by cinwa
corrected carbonate for citrate.

It isn't so much that we're not supposed to have calcium citrate, we just don't absorb it too well.

You meant carbonate here, yes?

You meant carbonate here, yes?

Sorry Kel - it's supposed to say carbonate and I've now corrected it.

Guess who's looking at life through oxycodone coloured glasses today! smiley-whacky011.gif

Sorry Kel - it's supposed to say carbonate and I've now corrected it.

Guess who's looking at life through oxycodone coloured glasses today! smiley-whacky011.gif

Oh you poor thing! I wish they could find something to fix you up once and for all! {{hugs}}

Oh you poor thing! I wish they could find something to fix you up once and for all! {{hugs}}

They have - it's called surgery!

Right now, adhesions seem to be the culprit but I want to hold on as long as I can before going through surgery again.

I don't have to take the heavy pain meds every day.

They have - it's called surgery!

Right now, adhesions seem to be the culprit but I want to hold on as long as I can before going through surgery again.

I don't have to take the heavy pain meds every day.

:( I have adhesions issues too.. so I know how they feel.

The surgeon said she cleaned them as much as she could during my RNY and so far, so good. I'm really sorry you're dealing with them. {{hugs}}

My Vitamin D level was good at my last visit with the Surgeon, but he wants me to take a supplement anyway, and he gave me a prescription, and it was those green soft gels. Thanks to this forum, and Corrine, I purchased the D3 instead and am taking 2000 units everyday. Corrine has save me from a lot of mistakes, and I am very grateful for her knowledge and willingness to share her experience.

You are so helpful on this site. I'm going to go and order the vitamin D3. I assume that you only take 1 pill per day. I'm taking so many vitamins right now it fills me up!

It's amazing to me that Dr.'s don't understand what they are prescribing and how they work with bariatric patients. That's the one thing that worrys me about having this surgery. Doctors need more training on how our systems work and how the surgery affects our absorption. To be honest, the pharmacist I talked to Aetna didn't seem to have a clue either.

We'll be going to Florida next month and I've already lined up a bariatric surgeon and hospital in case I have any problems from the surgery. I just

would not feel safe going to a hospital that doesn't regularly treat bariatric patients. I have a brand new PCP in Florida and she hasn't been out of medical school long so maybe she'll be more up to date on this. My PCP

here in Michigan leaves a lot to be desired. You feel he's backing out the door the minute he comes in and he never looks directly at you - is always typing in his computer. When I get back from Florida in the spring I'm going to make a real effort to find a better doctor. It's really strange but this Dr. was super when he first started and I recommended him to a couple of friends. Now it's like he's burned out. I wouldn't have been there that long but he has a wonderful nurse who is very caring. I stuck by him when he was having marital problems and not getting sleep and I tried to be patient until things were better.

I really appreciate every one's help on this web site.

Gail

You are so helpful on this site. I'm going to go and order the vitamin D3. I assume that you only take 1 pill per day. I'm taking so many vitamins right now it fills me up!

How often you take it depends on what strength you get. Right now I have 1000 IU tablets because that's what the PA at my old surgeon's office told me to take. But the new surgeon told me I should take 5000 IU a day. So I'm taking five of the little suckers a day until I use them up. But I just ordered 50,000 IU capsules from vitalady and am going to just take one a week.

Kelly

I take the 50,000 IU that I bought from Vitalady 3 times a week.. tuesday, thursday and saturdays.

I found Vitamin D3 at Costco today. A bottle of 600 capsules for $13.99. I bought it. It says that each capsule is 2000IU. I've been taking the prescription Vit D that my surgeon gave me for the last 7 weeks...I have 5 weeks left on it before I have to do labs again. Do you think I should stop taking the weekly prescription and start taking the D3 I bought today, or should I finish the prescription and wait to see what my labs say in October?