• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bubbster

bubbster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:36 AM

Anyone else have or know of someone who has a rapid heart rate after eating? My ~40 yo relative is 1 year post bypass and has had an otherwise excellent outcome. Ever since about 6-8 weeks out, she has complained of shortness of breath, rapid heart rate and feelings of extreme fatigue, usually after eating – but sometimes randomly too. Her pulse goes from a baseline of ~60 to 90 for no other reason at these times. It doesn’t happen every time she eats, but does happen several times a week. She is exercising daily - walking or running or at the health club - and is in the best physical condition of her life – clearly it in completely unrelated to her exercise tolerance. She has lost ~160 lbs and her weight has now stabilized. She has been through a zillion diagnostic studies, even including a cardiac cath, with nothing abnormal. She is extremely frustrated and depressed by this problem, in part because her doctors have no other ideas, but mostly because the symptoms are incapacitating.

I thought that these symptoms may someone be related to “dumping syndrome” but without actual dumping. Perhaps they are related to a condition called “autonomic instability” that might somehow have been caused by alterations to the innervation of the stomach by the procedure. I also wondered if the diaphragm could somehow have been affected by the surgery, which could conceivably affect sensations of respiration and the heart. In any case, I can find nothing like this in the medical literature or the internet. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 bridgetgirl

bridgetgirl

Friend of TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
  • Surgeon:The Great Charles Callery MD
  • Hospital:Pomerado Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:300
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):15
  • Surgery Date:02/09/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

Hey bubbster! Welcome, great question... something to think about. A question I was wondering was your relative ever on Phen Fen? It really did a number on folks heart, perhaps her symptoms can be showing at this time.... ?

We have a couple of active RN's on this board, Im sure you will get great feedback!
J.Bridget Fisher
Find me on facebook; bridget.fisher
Twitter: bridget_fisher

[email protected]

"People will argue with you that getting what you want in life isnt something you can learn, if youre destined to be one of the worlds winners as opposed to one of its perpetual whiners, its because you have been born with the right talents and temperament and have a big dose of self-esteem, ambition, and good judgment." Kate White

#3 CharMc

CharMc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

I suggest that she keep a food diary...how many carbs etc. She should also note any adverse reactions after eating. After several weeks (or maybe days) she might notice a trend. I used to have similar reactions noting that they occurred after eating too many carbs, but then I am a diabetic. Her problem will undoubtedly be different.

She should then consult with her doctor or a nutritionist.

I hope your relative is able to solve this problem successsfully.

Charlotte
Charlotte

3/16/2005
Dr. Callery
Open
224/157/139 ;)

Nobody knows what the future holds but we know who holds the future!

#4 pambragg

pambragg

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationRancho San Diego, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Start Weight:333
  • Current Weight:131
  • Surgery Date:07/07/04

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:22 AM

Sounds like a classic case of "dumping" to me. Not all dumping concludes with elimination. I rarely eliminate when I dump, just feel like crap warmed over, rapid heartbeat, quick shallow breathing, internal shakes, etc..
Pam
Open 7/7/04 Dr Callery
333/130/150.........20 lbs below goal now!!
Start/current/goal
TT done 7/19/06
BMI pre-op 57.2
BMI now 21.6....OMG...I'm freaking "normal"

"You are the only one who can make the difference. Whatever your dream is, go for it."

#5 bridgetgirl

bridgetgirl

Friend of TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

Good point Charolette, journaling food intake is a great idea. I get that way when I have almost too many sugars or carbs....I get all that with excessive yawning as well!

Anyone else get that way they have overdone it a little? Excessive yawning? It lasts for like 20-30 mins and then just disappears!
J.Bridget Fisher

[email protected]

"People will argue with you that getting what you want in life isnt something you can learn, if youre destined to be one of the worlds winners as opposed to one of its perpetual whiners, its because you have been born with the right talents and temperament and have a big dose of self-esteem, ambition, and good judgment." Kate White

#6 bubbster

bubbster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for so much info so fast. Yes, she was on phen/fen and a variety of other appetite suppressants, and her first echocardiogram even showed some borderline pulmonary hypertension but everything was negative after that and the pulmonologist said she cannot rule it out, but didn't think it was related.

Can other things trigger "dumping"? Oddly, one other specific thing that seems to cause these episodes is singing - she is a talented musician and that is one other aspect that has her depressed.

I agree about the diary idea. I suggested an "event" diary in the past but she gets so worked up about her symptoms that it was counterproductive.

#7 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,101 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Could also be a vagal nerve response, which is hard to figure out and treat.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#8 bridgetgirl

bridgetgirl

Friend of TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

What part of town are y'all in? (or what state)
J.Bridget Fisher

[email protected]

#9 ginman999

ginman999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:38 AM

Low magnesium levels can cause irregular heat beats.

#10 bubbster

bubbster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

Bridgetgirl, Well we are in North Central Florida, but we are originally from the midwest so we don't have quite the accent you might expect of a Florida cracker. Do you know what to expect from a Florida cracker?

http://www.floridahi...ans/territo.htm

We are not far from Bellamy Road. The OTHER Bellamy Road's namesake.

http://user.gru.net/...bellamyroad.htm

ginman999, Based on her prior studies and symptoms, I am pretty sure its not related to any electrolytes or thyroid disease.

#11 newlife4me

newlife4me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Brian Obyrne New U Program
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:175

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:17 PM

You know, sometimes when folks have hormonal changes you can have heart palpitations. I had a OBGYN tell me it is harmless unless it causes you to be out of breath......just a thought.......

#12 Losin'it

Losin'it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:18 PM

episodes of panic can also cause some autonomic instability. thyroid, potassium, Mg++..... or an arrythmia like SVT can wax and wane. has this person had a holter exam or other event cardiac monitoring?
;) Colleen

245/124/135
RNY OPEN
6/8/05

Laurie Spaulding, MD

#13 Dee22

Dee22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:26 AM

I just recently started getting this myself...lastnight I had some salsa and chips...and man I was tired after..yawning for about 1/2 hour I just wanted to go to sleep! Everyone was asking why I was so tired at 6:00 lol
Open RNY 9/20/04
260/127 :eek:
Abdominoplasty 09/21/06
Size 24 to a 0!
Height 5'8"
BMI 40/18.9
My profile on OH.com

Before & After pics
"The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends"~Anonymous