26 replies to this topic

#1 Roxann

Roxann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Whitney Parnell

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hi gang. I'm almost seven months out. Nothing tastes good right now and I have no appetite. Once in awhile something sounds good or I get a craving for something but then when I have it I don't eat more than a bite. Pretty much all I've been able to stomach is string cheese and popcorn. I don't dump, and there's not real reason why I don't feel like eating. I'm wondering if other people have experienced this aversion to food at all so far out from surgery? I am not getting nearly enough nutrition at this point.
Surgery Date: December 8, 2008
Highest weight: 278
Weight at surgery: 270
Current Weight: 188
Goal Weight: 140
Beginning BMI: 56.1 (Morbidly Obese)
Current BMI: 39.1 (Obese)
Starting pant size: 24
Starting shirt size: XXXL or 24
Current Pant and Shirt Size: 12/14 and L/XL
GERD gone! PCOS improved! BP Normal!
Wound Infection Healed (Finally!) April 8, 2009

Went go-kart riding for the first time: May 26, 2009
Onederland!!! 6/1/09
No longer MORBIDLY Obese 6/25/09

#2 cnc904

cnc904

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr.Kim

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

Roxann,
I think you should call your Nut. and /or Doctor.
7 months after surgery you should be eating more for sure!
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Chrissie
surgery:march 26,2008

highest/current/goal
265/160/150

Century Club 5/11/09

#3 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

I haven't had much appetite lately, either. I've dumped several times lately, and maybe that has kind of created an aversion to food. Also, I am having back trouble, and am in a fair amount of pain, so maybe that is diminishing my appetite. I don't know. It's hard to force yourself to eat when nothing tastes good. I've gone back to doing two protein drinks most days so I can at least get my protein in. I suggest you do the same. If you find any other answers, let me know.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#4 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. White
  • Hospital:Yes, please.
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hi gang. I'm almost seven months out. Nothing tastes good right now and I have no appetite. Once in awhile something sounds good or I get a craving for something but then when I have it I don't eat more than a bite. Pretty much all I've been able to stomach is string cheese and popcorn. I don't dump, and there's not real reason why I don't feel like eating. I'm wondering if other people have experienced this aversion to food at all so far out from surgery? I am not getting nearly enough nutrition at this point.

Sounds like it is time for a follow up to the Doc...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 noholes

noholes

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Hospital:Spectrum Butterworth
  • Start Weight:358
  • Current Weight:137
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.5
  • Surgery Date:10/03/2001
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

There are many people out there(myself included) that food just doesn't have any appeal. For me, it caused such problems for me(both pre-op and post -op) that I have to force myself because I know the repercussion of "not" eating. The suggestions of checking back with your nutritionist, and the Dr. just to make sure that everythiing is going right- is a great idea. Also check out some of the recipe sections on this and other sites- I knwo I get in a "rut" with what I am eating and sometimes all it takes is checking out some new ideas to spark my interest.

Getting in enough nutritionaly is oh- so important.- don't let yourself fall behind because the side- effects can be detrimental to your health.
Take care
Amy aka NOHOLES:p
Open RNY 2001 plus,plus

358/135

#6 jerseygrl684

jerseygrl684

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. A- my hero :)
  • Hospital:northern NJ one- just ask
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:115
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.2
  • Surgery Date:11/26/2007

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'll be brutally honest. I'm about 20 months out and still nothing appeals to me much. I know everytime I eat I am going to feel like crap, so I pick and choose what I eat. It's sad, but that's what it has come to.

Food isn't something i enjoy anymore, it's more like a chore. No matter what I eat, I hurt.. just the extent of the hurt/discomfort is different.
248/227-highest & day of surgery
128(back from my lowest of 103)-current

If you are looking for puppies & rainbows look elsewhere, i'm not interested in feeding your crappy choices and coddling you. :)

#7 Dolly

Dolly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42.7

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

I'm right there with you Roxann. Had surgery november. Have followed pretty much your trajectory. Loss was slow to start. Last week I lost 5lbs 7 months out. Its like it doesn't interest me.. even rare mild hunger doesn't inspire me to eat. Don't dump on anything. dont get sick. Nothing sticks..its just like food, like an long held old and unkind lover has lost it's appeal. I'm bored with it. The act of eating sometimes is repugnant. I do it because i must but not often enough. Sometimes only once or twice a day and small amounts. We need to remember we got to this place to be healthy not to replace one eating disorder with another or to feel our bodies buckle under the strain we put them under.
I have been depressed this last month or so. I dont know if it is that which is putting me off food or if lack of food causes depression. We have to be careful not to become addicted to the act of weight loss for its own sake.
xx

Edited by Dolly, 23 June 2009 - 10:55 AM.
all my stats below are wrong. Cant get around to fixing them. Am 185 now

Highest weight 294

Weight before pre op diet 289

DDay November 14th 2008 266

Weight 6/23/09 185

#8 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,303 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

I'm 21 months out and have still to have any sensation of hunger and therefore, rarely get a hankering for something yummy to eat.

I just look on food as a source of fuel now - other than fruit (with cottage cheese and/or yogurt) = I just don't particularly enjoy anything.

I eat because I have to. And so should you - it's just a case of finding something that is quick and goes down easily (like me and my fruit and yogurt etc.).

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#9 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

I'm 21 months out and have still to have any sensation of hunger and therefore, rarely get a hankering for something yummy to eat.

I just look on food as a source of fuel now - other than fruit (with cottage cheese and/or yogurt) = I just don't particularly enjoy anything.

I eat because I have to. And so should you - it's just a case of finding something that is quick and goes down easily (like me and my fruit and yogurt etc.).

Oh god, peaches and cottage cheese has been my life source so far. yum!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,303 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Oh god, peaches and cottage cheese has been my life source so far. yum!

Strawberries, raspberries, pineapple (YUM!), blueberries - anything goes. Cept for mango - that is REALLY weird with cottage cheese.

Toast some slivered almonds - that takes it up a whole new level.

Talking of which - I'm on a bender with a mixture of slivered/sliced almonds, jumbo rolled oats, wheatgerm - all toasted under the broiler until brown (keep an eye on it - toasted to burnt in a nanno second. I make up a big tray - it keeps well.

I also add some chopped, dried apricots, raisins, cranberries - whatever I have around.

I could/would not exist without cottage cheese (and yogurt). I eat it at least twice a day.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#11 Roxann

Roxann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had a hearty appetite for awhile there, even though I couldn't eat much. Now, though, almost everything makes me feel nauseous after a bite or two. I've been doing protein shakes but I have some kind of reaction to them and I get hives (I've tried a variety of them and all affect me the same), so I have to go easy on them. I'm not sure why my appetite changed all of the sudden, but I'm going to have to work really hard to get in what I need each day.

Onederland!!! 6/1/09

#12 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

I wonder what in the protein shakes is giving you hives? Are you making them with milk? Are you lactose intolerant?

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#13 Roxann

Roxann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

I wonder what in the protein shakes is giving you hives? Are you making them with milk? Are you lactose intolerant?

Kelly

I don't know - I'm confused by it. I eat yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal with milk and seem to have no problems. I tried one of those protein shots one time and turned red, itchy and it was not pleasant. Now I do the protein drinks intermittently - but no matter which I always get a few itchy spots, usually on my arms and chest, face and neck. It's bizarre.

Onederland!!! 6/1/09

#14 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

I don't know - I'm confused by it. I eat yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal with milk and seem to have no problems. I tried one of those protein shots one time and turned red, itchy and it was not pleasant. Now I do the protein drinks intermittently - but no matter which I always get a few itchy spots, usually on my arms and chest, face and neck. It's bizarre.

Sounds more like a reaction to niacin to me.

Check to see if the supplement you take has niacin in it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 nittinnana

nittinnana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Caruana
  • Hospital:Sisters of Charity
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:33 AM

Isn't it wierd--I do get hungry but basically food doesn't taste good to me anymore
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary :)

wt b4 pre-op diet 249.4
day of surgery 236.8
current 131.8
first goal met St. Patrick's Day! 160
new goal (normal wt) 144

Century Club on April 30, 2009!

NO LONGER OBESE--ONLY OVERWEIGHT AS OF 1/6/08
ONDERLAND 11/11/2008!

GOAL MAY 19, 2009!

#16 Roxann

Roxann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

Sounds more like a reaction to niacin to me.

Check to see if the supplement you take has niacin in it.

All of the supplements I've had trouble with had Niacin! And when I read more about it the symptoms of reaction to niacin sound exactly like what I've experienced. Thanks for the heads up!

Onederland!!! 6/1/09

#17 Snow-Belle

Snow-Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Svendsen, Surgery Date 10/07/08
  • Hospital:Methodist Hospital, St Louis Park, Minnesota
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):52

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

I have no real appetite either....except for my daily min-bag of low fat popcorn (this was actually recommended to me get some fiber in my diet because of constipation issues)...every thing else is just a chore.

I have come to loathe tuna...chicken, pork and beef still sit in my stomach like bricks...

I still use protein (added to water) twice a day just to make sure I get my protein in.

I make sure to get at least 64 ounces of fluid in (crystal light)....

I forget to eat meals, particularly breakfast and lunch on the weekends because I don't have my work routine to remind me.

The only way I know I'm 'hungry' is that my stomach hurts and I get headaches (low blood sugar?).

I'm at a stall right now which is probably because I'm not getting enough calories in...

I never would have thought in a MILLION years that I would ever have this attitude (lack of interest) toward food and eating...
~Michele

Surgery 10/07/08
Highest-at start of 10 day pre surgery liquid diet / Day of Surgery / Current / Goal
280 / 267 / 120 / 115

ONDERLAND March 15, 2009

Use it UP, Wear it OUT, Make it DO or Do WITHOUT.*
*(popular saying during the great depression)

Weight Loss so Far= 158 Pounds
Goal 1 -Weigh 180 -(Century Club)- May 15, 2009
Goal 2 -Weigh 150 -Oct 1, 2009
Goal 3 -Weigh 140 -Dec 12, 2009
ULTIMATE Goal -Weigh 115

#18 Baja Big Dog

Baja Big Dog

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):64.1

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hello...

Your symptoms are why we have the surgery, it reduces your sensation for food, like Corrine, I have no desire for anthing, I go through phases, right now its refried beans, (i MAKE SOME KILLER REFRIED BEAns!!)

This to me is a god send, the ability to control your food intake is fantastic, and when you know you have to have a shake at the end of the day to get your pritein, you know your enjoying the beauty of the gastric bypass.

#19 dayna_jean

dayna_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Valerie Halpin
  • Hospital:Legacy Good Samaritan
  • Start Weight:411
  • Current Weight:238
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):38.7
  • Surgery Date:05/26/2009

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

I can totally relate to not enjoying food anymore, though I am only 5 weeks post-op. I think for me there are a couple of factors involved. First of all, things just plain taste different! I don't know why, they just do. Secondly, I can't eat the foods I always loved the most. I was never a sweets girl, I was a comfort food addict. I lived on macaroni and hot dogs, bread and butter, and any other form of creamy starchy goodness. I was never big on meats, eggs, veggies, or any of that.

Now all of my favorite foods are banned, and I'm still not sold on the allowed ones. I just don't have an appetite for them at all. My mom had the surgery and she did so well because she's a big meat-eater, and she would splurge and order steak or whatever at restaurants and loves her post-op diet. It's just not for me.

Also, the thing I loved most about eating was the expereince. I always FELT GOOD when I ate, even when everything else was going wrong. I was a binger, I'd sit and eat an entire pizza and watch a movie, and it would lift my spirits into the heavens!! Now, I can barely eat enough food to keep me busy for 15 minutes, and I'm not allowed to watch tv when I eat. So it's not much of an experience at all--it's just a chore!!!

I have the HARDEST time eating more than 300 calories a day in food. I like drinks like jamba juice and vitamin water and sugar-free blended coffees, but that's not the healthiest way to get calories, ya know?! haha.

I feel your pain girl. Eating sucks. I wish I could get the energy I need to excercise without bothering with any of the food crap.
Dayna Jean

Lap RNY 5/26/09
Dr. Halpin--Oregon Weight Loss Surgery
Then/Now/Goal
411/232/185

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Roxann

Roxann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

Quote:

Also, the thing I loved most about eating was the expereince. I always FELT GOOD when I ate, even when everything else was going wrong. I was a binger, I'd sit and eat an entire pizza and watch a movie, and it would lift my spirits into the heavens!! Now, I can barely eat enough food to keep me busy for 15 minutes, and I'm not allowed to watch tv when I eat. So it's not much of an experience at all--it's just a chore!!!

I was a major binger, too, and I too loved the experience. The filling of being full didn't mean just stomach full, but fulfilled. It's weird how something inanimate can be so comforting. Eating was a major coping method for me. For nothing to taste good is so odd for me! Sometimes I wish I could devour a whole pizza, but when I get to buy the next smaller pant size it makes up for it.