sherry7

What kind of problems can develop from not taking vitamins daily?

I am a year out!! I don't take all my vitiaman as I should but I just really started hitting it hard?"! Do

You think it's to late ??after reading this it scares me!!since it's been a year do I have

Time to fix not talking all my vitamins? Also my period is all out of wack !! It's about

Every two weeks, it's heavy and crampy ! Also does anyone have teeth pain? Is that

Some problem cause I have not take calcium ??

It's not too late.

You need to get an appointment to get your blood work done to check your vitamin and mineral levels done.

I'm still not taking the vitamins every day! I can't stand them, all the meds along with my regular ones for depression ,hypertension , etc . I had my bloodwork done  a few months back for nutritonal study prior to cosmetic surgery and all tests were completely normal.

I try now to take them daily but it's just t :angry: o damn much

Lennon - it might be worth trying other mulitivitamins.

And it's worth writing up a daily planner for all the supplements and medications you need to take on a daily basis.  I find that having a schedule makes things easier because once you miss a dose of anything, the day just goes downhill and it's hard to play catch-up.

What vits does everyone take daily? Me, A daily multi, calcium, b-12, magnesium, and fish oil. Am I missing anything?

TIA :-)

Edited by SaidieBlue

very informative. 

I dealt with Iron deficiency >   anemia , hair loss.

Hey peeps. :) I'm blatantly stealing this post from another WLS forum, but it's too good of info not to share.

So deficiencies in the following can result in:

B1 or Thiamin

- irreversible neuromuscular disorders

- permanent defects in learning and short-term memory

- coma (aww.. this isn't so bad..)

- death (Nothing worth worrying about, right?)

B9 or Folate (Folic Acid)

- forgetfulness

- irritability

- hostility

- paranoid behaviors

B12 or Cobalamine

- neurologic sumptoms

- numbness and tingling of extremeties

- difficulty walking

- memory loss

- disorientation

- megalobalstic anemia

- permanent neural impairment

- extreme delusions

- hallucinations

- overt psychois

+ Permanent damage can occur if treatment doesn't start soon enough!

Calcium

- chronic low intake creates metabolic bone disease presenting as

- osteoporosis

- osteomalacia

- hypoparathyroidism

- combo of above

- muscle cramping

- hypotension

- bone pain

Vitamin D

- rachitic tetany

- mucle pain and spasms

- weakness

- bone pain

- decrease in daily calcium absorption

- rickets (osteomalacia)

- osteoporosis

- concentrations in blood greater than or equal to 80nmol/L, there was a 50% reduction in colorectal cancer rates

- concentrations in blood greater than or equal to 50nmol/L, there was a 50% reduced risk of prostate cancer

- risk for type 1 diabetes increased dramatically in vitamin D deficient children

- higher circulating levels of vitamin D linked to a significantly lower Multiple Schlrosis risk

Iron

- anemia

- fatigue

- hair loss

- feeling cold

- pagophagia (constant desire to eat ice -- pica)

- decreased immune function

Zinc

- decreased sense of smell

- altered taste

- poor wound healing

- poor appetite

- hair loss

- low libido

- lethargy

Vitamin A

- problems with skin and mucous membranes

- dry hair

- broken nails

- increased risk of infections

- linked to anemia and iron absorption

- ophthalmologic consequences such as night blindness

Ty for information I was wondering why I have to take vitamins since I had gastric bypass 

Ty for information I was wondering why I have to take vitamins since I had gastric bypass 

Although our body can recover from the initial malabsorption of calories, that is not the case for vitamins and minerals.  That is for life.

Gastric bypass patients will malabsorb vitamins and minerals (to some degree or other) for life due to the bypassing of the duodenum and part of the jejunum.

This graphic shows what's absorbed where. The shaded area shows what's bypassed after a RNY (published in "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" (Sareen S. Gropper, Jack L. Smith, James L. Groff. Page 51, figure 217):  

photo.JPG

I am reading everything I can get my hands on right now as I will most likely be approved by my insurance in the next two weeks.  I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around why people don't take their vitamins as this is part of what you need to do to live life to the fullest after WLS. I have already begun my vitamins for post-op now so I can get in the habit. I don't care what they taste like because I really don't want to have anymore hair loss than I already have from menopause. 

I am so ready for this surgery and to start my trip to the losers bench.

Rose

I am reading everything I can get my hands on right now as I will most likely be approved by my insurance in the next two weeks.  I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around why people don't take their vitamins as this is part of what you need to do to live life to the fullest after WLS. I have already begun my vitamins for post-op now so I can get in the habit. I don't care what they taste like because I really don't want to have anymore hair loss than I already have from menopause. 

Rose

I can't understand why people don't take their vitamins, either.  It's what we sign on for when we decide to have surgery.  It's one  of the golden rules.  Each program varies, but every program agrees that you HAVE to take vitamins and no drinking with meals..

Just had my surgery and this was great to be able to read through - not pleasant but its important to know.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:37 PM, Irish Rose said:

Rose

Irish Rose and @Aksh - I have some sympathy for people who forget to take something for which they are not ill.... just mean to say if you are fine, it's harder to remember to take a pill that prevents you from getting sick. In contrast if you get heartburn unless you take a medicine, and you forget - you get heartburn and there is immediate reinforcement for NOT forgetting. This plays out all the time. This is my way of confessing that there are days I forget to take my vitamins. I'm not very good about taking things on a chronic basis... but I line up everything and have a list for morning and evening before I go to bed.

Missing a few days is different than deciding not to do it. I totally do not understand that either, it seems self-destructive...