sherry7

What kind of problems can develop from not taking vitamins daily?

Hey peeps. :) I'm blatantly stealing this post from another WLS forum, but it's too good of info not to share.

So deficiencies in the following can result in:

B1 or Thiamin

- irreversible neuromuscular disorders

- permanent defects in learning and short-term memory

- coma (aww.. this isn't so bad..)

- death (Nothing worth worrying about, right?)

B9 or Folate (Folic Acid)

- forgetfulness

- irritability

- hostility

- paranoid behaviors

B12 or Cobalamine

- neurologic sumptoms

- numbness and tingling of extremeties

- difficulty walking

- memory loss

- disorientation

- megalobalstic anemia

- permanent neural impairment

- extreme delusions

- hallucinations

- overt psychois

+ Permanent damage can occur if treatment doesn't start soon enough!

Calcium

- chronic low intake creates metabolic bone disease presenting as

- osteoporosis

- osteomalacia

- hypoparathyroidism

- combo of above

- muscle cramping

- hypotension

- bone pain

Vitamin D

- rachitic tetany

- mucle pain and spasms

- weakness

- bone pain

- decrease in daily calcium absorption

- rickets (osteomalacia)

- osteoporosis

- concentrations in blood greater than or equal to 80nmol/L, there was a 50% reduction in colorectal cancer rates

- concentrations in blood greater than or equal to 50nmol/L, there was a 50% reduced risk of prostate cancer

- risk for type 1 diabetes increased dramatically in vitamin D deficient children

- higher circulating levels of vitamin D linked to a significantly lower Multiple Schlrosis risk

Iron

- anemia

- fatigue

- hair loss

- feeling cold

- pagophagia (constant desire to eat ice -- pica)

- decreased immune function

Zinc

- decreased sense of smell

- altered taste

- poor wound healing

- poor appetite

- hair loss

- low libido

- lethargy

Vitamin A

- problems with skin and mucous membranes

- dry hair

- broken nails

- increased risk of infections

- linked to anemia and iron absorption

- ophthalmologic consequences such as night blindness

THANK YOU!

Sherry - you're right, this is definately something worth posting and I wish that Andrea U over on Obesity Help were a member of this forum - she knows her stuff.

We all need to print this out and keep it handy.

Great info, thanks Sherry!

THANK YOU!

Sherry - you're right, this is definately something worth posting and I wish that Andrea U over on Obesity Help were a member of this forum - she knows her stuff.

We all need to print this out and keep it handy.

In general, I find OH very hard to navigate...probably because it's so large. But, I've found some great info over there from time to time. The lady who originally posted this definitely knows her stuff (she reminds me of you and Beth).

I was just wondering this myself.

Thank you for posting this.

We need to make this a "sticky" for all to read.

Hmmm, this would be a good sticky. If anymore of you agree, let me know. I can message John and ask him to sticky it.

Ugh...I better go take my vitamin.

Sherry, where have you been?

Yep, go take those vitamins! I haven't been around much lately Puddin. Life has been crazy around my house for the last month or so, and honestly I really just needed a short vacation from TT. Although this place is awesome for support, sometimes it kind of gets to me a little too much (especially the bickering). I tend to get a little too involved and worried sometimes, which is just my natural personality.

Great post sherry.

And I thought I was gonna open this and read your haven't been taking your vitamins.

Ha ha! Nope, I'm a good vitamin taker...although I tend to slip up on my calcium pills occasionally. I need to nip that in the bud...I don't want to be stooped over when I'm a little old lady. :P

Ha ha! Nope, I'm a good vitamin taker...although I tend to slip up on my calcium pills occasionally. I need to nip that in the bud...I don't want to be stooped over when I'm a little old lady. :P

I'd been really bad about my calcium .. I had the reg type not the chewables which I find less conveinent to take and often forget them altogether. Corrine was so lovely and sent me a fantastic care package which among a whole host of other things (it was an amazing package!) included some calcium chews. I've been using those till the chewable calcium from celebrate arrive.

I keep seeing people complain about having to take chewables but for me, they are just so much less *work* to take.

Bumping this up, as it was being discussed on another thread. :)

Great post, much needed information, especially starting out, some people don't realize just how important it really is to get all your supplements in everyday. I will admit that I have missed a day here or there, but I try really hard not to,

I also have to say I have a wonderful husband and two wonderful boy's that have informed me that my protein and supplements comes first. They always make sure I have everything I need. Thanks guys I love you.

The lady who originally posted this definitely knows her stuff (she reminds me of you and Beth).

Hmmm, this would be a good sticky. If anymore of you agree, let me know. I can message John and ask him to sticky it.

awwww, thanks Sherry. :) I appreciate the compliment. I also really appreciate you posting this. Complications from not taking your vitamins is my biggest fear. I see so many people who just seem to blow it off.

When I work with patients, in the hospital this is one of those things that I put the greatest emphasis on. Taking your vitamins is NOT negotiable. We all have to remember why we did this surgery. It was to be healthy. I went to the extreme of having surgery. Why in the world would anyone want to risk that? We are ALL worth taking care of ourselves.

Thanks again, Sherry. I truly believe that education is one of the biggest keys. When people UNDERSTAND then I think there is an increased chance that they will do what is right for themselves and their health.

I really feel this is something that should be a "stickie" Sherry.

I'll also vote for a sticky as well! And I'll tag it with the tags vitamin and vitamins (just in case)

If anyone can think of other tags necessary, please add them.. I can only add two since I'm not the original author of the post. (I think the original author can add up to 5 when they create the thread, but that might be overkill Lady_Monkey_by_deep_dark_secret.gif

awwww, thanks Sherry. :) I appreciate the compliment. I also really appreciate you posting this. Complications from not taking your vitamins is my biggest fear. I see so many people who just seem to blow it off.

When I work with patients, in the hospital this is one of those things that I put the greatest emphasis on. Taking your vitamins is NOT negotiable. We all have to remember why we did this surgery. It was to be healthy. I went to the extreme of having surgery. Why in the world would anyone want to risk that? We are ALL worth taking care of ourselves.

Thanks again, Sherry. I truly believe that education is one of the biggest keys. When people UNDERSTAND then I think there is an increased chance that they will do what is right for themselves and their health.

You're welcome Beth. :) I will contact John and ask him to sticky it.

I'll also vote for a sticky as well! And I'll tag it with the tags vitamin and vitamins (just in case)

If anyone can think of other tags necessary, please add them.. I can only add two since I'm not the original author of the post. (I think the original author can add up to 5 when they create the thread, but that might be overkill Lady_Monkey_by_deep_dark_secret.gif

Vote noted! I will contact John and ask him to sticky it.

Kel, how do you add tags? I don't think I've ever noticed that feature before. "Complications" would be a good tag as well.

You're welcome Beth. :) I will contact John and ask him to sticky it.

Vote noted! I will contact John and ask him to sticky it.

Kel, how do you add tags? I don't think I've ever noticed that feature before. "Complications" would be a good tag as well.

Oh good one! in the reading pane of the post, after it is posted, scroll towards the bottom.. you'll see in very small letters, on the left where the tags are listed and on the right, a link where you can edit tags. (this is just above the 'quick reply bar.' )

To add, go to edit and just type it in.. then whenever someone does an advanced search you can search using keywords or tags.

Oh good one! in the reading pane of the post, after it is posted, scroll towards the bottom.. you'll see in very small letters, on the left where the tags are listed and on the right, a link where you can edit tags. (this is just above the 'quick reply bar.' )

To add, go to edit and just type it in.. then whenever someone does an advanced search you can search using keywords or tags.

Thank you! No wonder I never noticed it...it's totally hidden. :rolleyes:

Now, tell me...where did you get those super cute smileys? :D

Thanks for a great post. I think the calcium chewables are great. Anybody try the new lemon-flavored ones yet? I do the chocolates and have enough to tide me over for awhile.

Hey, that post also mentions pagophagia (desire to eat ice) as a symptom of iron deficiency. I chewed ice all the time as a kid--and I was anemic--so I guess that's right.

Anyway, thanks Sherry.

BillH

Whats a stickie,

Whats a stickie,

Delane, John can stick any post to the top of the different sections of the forum so you don't lose them. :)

Delane, John can stick any post to the top of the different sections of the forum so you don't lose them. :)

Oh ok, Thanks....

:)THANKS!!!!!!!!!! Runs for my vitamins I have been getting forgetful lately, thanks Sherry.

so there are eight vitamins you have to take daily? can someone talk about all the medications and vitamins that need taking on a daily basis. lets say more like a typical week.

so there are eight vitamins you have to take daily? can someone talk about all the medications and vitamins that need taking on a daily basis. lets say more like a typical week.

Hi Redneckboy. I don't think 8 vitamins daily is a good way to describe it...because many of these are already in multi-vitamins. In addition, some people must take extra supplements, because of deficiencies. On the flip side, you don't want to take too much of something...or you could develop vitamin toxicity. That is why it is so important to get your blood work done on a regular basis.

Here's what I take (going from memory, so I might forget something):

Morning:

1 chewable multi-vitamin

1 Klor-Con M20 (prescription med for potassium deficiency)

2 Carbonyl Iron (I have anemia)

1 chewable Vit-C (helps the iron absorb better)

Mid-morning:

500 mg Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D

Afternoon:

500 mg Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D

1 Vit-B Complex

Bedtime:

1 chewable multi-vitamin

1 Klor-Con M20 (prescription med for potassium deficiency)

2 Carbonyl Iron (I have anemia)

1 chewable Vit-C (helps the iron absorb better)

1 Prilosec 20 mg (prescription med)

1 Zyrtec 10 mg (I have allergies)

1 Probiotic/Acidophilus pill (helps with bathroom problems)

I really should be taking 1500 mg of Calcium Citrate daily. I need to change my schedule to add another one in.

What I take is two multivitamins, four calciums (calcium citrate), one b complex, and one vitamin d3 a day. I had to add the d3 because I had a deficiency. Then, once a week, I use the b12 patch.

Kelly

This is my normal schedule but I too have some downward trends with my labs so I've had to increase them.

Breakfast

1 Celebrate chewable multi-vitamin

500mg Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D (Celebrate Plus)

2000IU Vitamin D3 (I have a vit. D deficiency)

Lunch

500mg Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D

Supper

1 Celebrate chewable multi-vitamin

500mg Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D

Bedtime

500mg Vitamin C

90mg Carbonyl Iron (to maintain normal labs)

Edited by MiladyB

What happens if you do not take Potassium, currently potassium level is 2.2