• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
LadyV

What's that smell???

30 posts in this topic

Im 3 months out and my body has the strangest odor. It seems that what ever I eat, I can smell it on my skin and through my urine. It erks me, because I feel that if I smell it, other people do to.

Have this ever happen to anyone else. To me, it smells like a wet puppy or say what ever the food I eat. For instant, the smell of cooked meat scent lingers on my skin. Any suggestions or am I just paranoid.

I work at a school and recently, one of the kids kept asking me, what's that odor and when I didn't say anything, they just looked at me and said it was me. Ive asked family and friends if they smell anything and they say no but I really do smell an odor coming from my body that is not natural. I take baths (showers) 3 and 4 times a day when Im home hoping the odor will calm down but it doesn't. What do you think this is?

I am only one week out from surgery, but ever since my sense of smell is very sensitive. I swear I can smell the slightest scent and nobody else can smell anything. Maybe your sense of smell is just sensitive.

I actually had someone tell me at work yesterday that she heard my coworkers talking about how bad I smell. I always try to keep my breath smelling good (cause I always have that nasty ketosis odor on my breath) but I never thought I actually smelled bad.:confused::(

It is the ketosis. You will smell it on your breath, urine, and sometimes your skin like with sweat etc.

It means you are losing weight!

Since my RNY my 'bo' has gotten worse/more noticeable... I've tried just about EVERY anti-persperiant/deoderant on the market (including Mitchum for Men) and don't actually perspire a lot, if at all, but BOY do I smell like I've been out digging ditches all day in 104 degree weather!

I thought it was just me.....

Oh no, I didn't even think about the smell! I remember when Atkins first came out and the only "vegetable" they would allow was mushrooms I tried the diet and had a funny smell coming out of my pores but when I tried Atkins after they revised it years later and you could have all sorts of vegetables/salads, I never smelled.

And I thought the prospect of being bald and skinny was daunting enough :rolleyes

Ok now that we know what it is, how do we mask it or get rid of that odor and please don't say stop losing weight:p that is not an option.

All you can do is alter your diet to change it. Add low hypoglycemic carbs and that should get the ball rolling.

Post Op I had to try several deodorants because they just werent holding up like they used to. This is normal tho and will change as your diet does. I always wear perfumed lotion even working in a medical office. On those days I would pick something light like Dove lotion and off days I would wear fragrant fruity ones.

Good luck peeps!

I'm lucky, I don't have that problem.

Maybe go and get some body sprays and lotions and keep them handy. I know that I still like wearing "Coconut Lime Verbena" from Bath & Body. They have the matching lotion and perfume as well.

Go to the drugstore and get yourself some Ketosis pee sticks. If they go dark purple you know the problem.

Try drinking a few G2s or eat a PB&J sandwhich. Those carbs should knock you right out of ketosis and get you smelling all pretty again..

What are G2's???

Uh, smell? If I get WLS I'm gonna smell wierd? :eek: And what's ketosis? :confused:

Sorry..... G2 is the low sugar Gatorade. I basically have an orthostatic intolerance issue and drink it everyday. In other words its helps so I don't fall down every time I stand up. It's 70 calories and 16 grams of sugar per bottle.

and ketosis.... its a long story.. but the TLDR version is that is is the process in your body of burning off stored fat when you don't get enough carbs. There is a byproduct made called ketones. The ketones CAN make your breathe, pee and sweat smell funny.

oh.. and TLDR stands for "Too Long, Didn't Read."

I agree, you need to check your ketone levels and most likely, up your good carbs a bit

Here's are a few old threads where smell/body odor was involved:

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/6477-smelling-amonia.html

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/26543-body-chemistry-change.html

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/post-op-gastric-bypass/748-help-please.html

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/general-gastric-bypass-discussions/2269-why-will-i-stink.html

I have a different odor problem right now and it's deadly flatulence -- the last two weeks it's been awful. Searching TT, I now have a line on an OTC medicine called Devrom, which is supposed to help with the odor. It's on my emergency shopping list today.

Thanks for the links, Marella!

Gosh, this is the one 'side effect' of RNY I was unaware of....

And here I thought it was only me that turned into quite a stinker!

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out...before I lost 100 pounds I used to perspire ALL time and was always hot but deordarant/anti-perspirant seemed to take care of the any 'problems' and I didn't have any BO.

After losing 100 pounds, I really don't sweat and the heat doesn't affect me like it did when I was heavier...yet I STINK!

Maybe I should try those new 'prescription strength' anti-perspirants/deordorants they have available over the counter now....

Funny story not related to this but the title of this thread made me think about this.

A friend of has a little sister about 5 years old. Her daddy is a nut and is always making jokes. Since I can remember when her daddy would have gas he would look around and say "what's that sound", or "what's that smell" well finally his sister picked up on this and when she was at day care she had gas and said...... your right. "what's that sound" she had her care givers in stitches. Now when ever she has gas she says it. Its hilarious.

Man, I don't wanna stink :mad:.....does it eventually stop or go away? Like if the body eventually stops burning fat?

It's really only a problem if you are not eating enough carbs. That number is different for everyone. Could be 20, 30, 40 or more carbs a day. I don't think its a problem you should just expect to have.

So far, I have not had this problem. I don't think it happens to everyone.

Kelly

No it doesn't happen to everyone. I didn't experience it either.

That's good to hear! I'd love to lose a buncha weight, but don't want to smell like a homeless guy to do so.

Guess what --

This isn't just prone to WLS. I too have this problem since I started watching what I eat. With this one thing I am right there with you -- and yep -- and damn annoying!

Wish us all luck!

Drink more fluids to flush the ketones out. Diluting the ketones will help with the smell. Also, when your liver is converting fat (fasting mode) you may find that you are getting dehydrated, which concentrates the ketones (and the smell). Try getting in enough fluids to keep your urine clear (clearer).

Adding carbs will work too, but may slow your weight loss a little. And if your a habitual scale watcher, do not freak out if/when some of the water weight comes back.

The only problem I had was my urine was pretty toxic smelling right after surgery because I just wasn't taking in enough fluid to make it not so concentrated ;)

Lika Marella .. I do have that flatulence issue now and again and it can be deadly lmao ... but I just laugh it off ... I guess I still have a juvenille humor level :D

As far as having a general different odor about me .. I never went through that.

Blimey this thread has opened my eyes. I thought it was just me :eek:

I don't smell but I have had this horrible taste in my mouth since February. I have also noticed that deodorants and my very expensive aftershaves don't smell as strong on me, or last as long when applied.

I am spending more money on mouthwash than I did on pizza :D

I love you guys xxx