• Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:207
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.5
  • Surgery Date:02/17/2012
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

I think the point is that it's a very personal decision, and what is right for one might be completely different for another. I decided not to share at work, with the exception of two close work friends, whom I completely trust. Everyone knew that I was having surgery, and I was out for 4 weeks. I never eluded to the type of surgery. If someone inquired, I always said the same thing......"I appreciate your concern, but it's personal. I hope you understand". I work with mostly men so there weren't many questions anyway.

My surgery was 2-1/2 months ago and I have lost enough for it to be very noticeable. Amazingly, no one at work has commented on my weight loss. I am starting to wonder if they think that I am sick or something, and don't want to say anything. LOL. I suppose now if anyone asked me directly if I had surgery, I would share. Like many others, I just didn't want to have to answer a bunch of questions or listen to a bunch of advice beforehand. Now, I feel that I'm far enough along that people wouldn't worry as much. No one should feel an obligation to share if they don't want to, but good for those of you who feel you can!

Posted Image

#122 Vogue

Vogue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr M. Schweitzer
  • Hospital:Johns Hopkins Bayview
  • Surgery Date:08/30/2012
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

I work for a HUGE international corporation... Im the only lady in my department of about 50 guys....Im not telling a soul... because of HIPAA laws I do not have to tell me boss why I am out or how long I am out....I send all of my FMLA forms to the medical department and my boss gets an email saying I am out til XX-XX-XX...and if there are any medical restrictions when I come back...end of story..

I occasionally take a week or so off for "mental health" purposes.... .this absence will be treated as such...

hopefully I will not be out for more than 2 weeks

SKINNY PEOPLE LOOK GOOD IN CLOTHES, FIT PEOPLE LOOK GREAT NAKED....I WANT TO BE FIT!!

Highest Weight: 272  Surgery Weight: 266 (08-30-12)

hit "normal" BMI (161 lbs) in 10 months

Superficial Goal: 129 Maintenance Goal: 140 lbs

weight.png

#123 wednesday210

wednesday210

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCary, NC
  • Surgeon:Lindsey Sharpe
  • Hospital:Rex
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:268
  • Current Weight:218
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):43.3
  • Surgery Date:09/05/12

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

I recently told my boss that I had to be out for knee replacement, which some of my co-workers know but is not something I'd want to broadcast. Within a half an hour, three co-workers came to my desk to ask about it. NOT people I would've told or whose jobs would be directly impacted by my absence. When I mentioned it to my boss, she said "Oh, you didn't tell me not to tell anyone". Guess that what I get for assuming our conversation was confidential.
I will nto be sharing information about my WLS, just extending my leave.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

#124 navysister

navysister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Surgeon:Valerie Halpin
  • Hospital:Legacy Good Samaritan
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:325
  • Current Weight:189
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29.3
  • Surgery Date:10/30/2012

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Are there any nannies who have had wls? Did you tell the family? If not how did you manage. I not worried about telling my current charges, but I have been with for 5 years. But I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks. I don't really know the family, and they had a young one, she will be less then a year old when I have my surgery.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#125 kimberkara

kimberkara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Surgeon:Oliver Adrian Varban, MD
  • Hospital:University of Michigan
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:297
  • Current Weight:204
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32
  • Surgery Date:08/19/2013

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

My answer to "you can do it without surgery" is that if I was going to be successful I would have done it by now. I'm 40 years old and it's time I did something drastic. My friend lost a lot of weight on her own, and even she agreed that this was necessary if I want to see my kids graduate.
46329000.png

My WLS Recipes:
http://pinterest.com...atric-friendly/

#126 ctwtrtwn

ctwtrtwn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWatertown NY
  • Surgeon:Dr. Graeber
  • Hospital:St Josephs
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:263
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:10/03/2012

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I have told everyone

#127 Aunt Beck

Aunt Beck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. John Coon
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:335
  • Current Weight:228
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:8/10/12

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

I told my boss and the people I work with and was repaid with an outpouring of support. Mostly I did this in case of anything that may happen to delay or limit my work ability. Word gets around fast and virtually everyone I see asks me how I am feeling and how good I look. No one has asked about the weight loss. I think they are impressed that I am back to work so soon out. I went back to work mid week for the first day of school. Tomorrow will be my two weeks post op day. Yes, I am tired. It is really nice to know everyone understands and has offered support. My principal tells me not to push myself and to take a day if I need one. I had some mixed feelings about the lack of privacy, especially when people I don't really know or students' parents ask how I am feeling, but I figured everyone can see me and will be seeing the changes. I have no secrets and the support has been so nice.

xB3ep0.png

#128 D'Wan

D'Wan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAmarillo Texas
  • Surgeon:Dr Wade Barker
  • Hospital:Forest Park Dallas Texas
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:226
  • Surgery Date:08/13/2012

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

I did not tell my work, went back after a week and was so weak and sick that I had to take a few more weeks off. I confessed everything and I was way emotional. I felt so guilty! I too didn't figure it wasn't anyones business. Now everyone is in my face about what I eat and they ask me everyday how much I've lost. It's very annoying!

#129 thin2live

thin2live

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
  • Surgeon:Oliver Whipple
  • Hospital:Memorial Health Medical University
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:295
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:08/07/2012

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

I told HR because I had to use Extended Leave for the surgery. Other than that, I only told my immediate boss.  Here in the USA, all medical issues are federally protected and private so they could not tell anyone else or face prison time and fines.

weight.png

"Failure is not fatal; failing to change will be." 
~John Wooden

#130 Natybug98

Natybug98

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michelle Toder
  • Hospital:Eastern Maine Medical
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:250
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.5
  • Surgery Date:09/05/2013

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

I work for my family, so pretty much everyone (and half the town) knows. 

~Dawn
41478665.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My counter is from the beginning of my journey. I lost the first 40 pounds BEFORE the surgery.

"A body is a home for the soul and a means of transportation and data input. It is not intended or designed to be a source of social status."
natybug98 on MFP as well, feel free to add me!

#131 kimmie1223

kimmie1223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationrhode island
  • Surgeon:dr. pohl
  • Hospital:roger williams medical center
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:284
  • Current Weight:237
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44.3
  • Surgery Date:02/11/2014

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I told my immediate supervisor that I was waiting for a date for surgery. when he decided to ask a wk later what type, I was honest. when I received an actual date, I told EVERYONE. not only am I too open about my life, I was excited & anxious, & it helped to talk about it. everyone is very supportive, & I feel I was right to tell them, because if there were any complications, I know they would be concerned, & would be upset that I hadn't told them.

whats funny is that outside of work, I told my immediate family & a few close friends, but no one else. I didn't announce it on fb or anything. I don't like that its considered an elective surgery. like I elected to let myself get morbidly obese, so now let me elect to get my guts sliced up to help me get back to a healthier weight.

#132 Lennie

Lennie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Surgeon:Scott Pennington
  • Hospital:Trinity Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:227
  • Current Weight:189
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42
  • Surgery Date:02/24/2014

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I am going to be out with hiatal hernia repair. That is true just not all of the information.

weight.png

#133 tmcgee

tmcgee

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationBraintree, MA
  • Surgeon:Ali Tavakkoli
  • Hospital:Brigham & Women's, Boston, MA
  • Height (ft-in):6-00
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:221
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30.0
  • Surgery Date:03/14/2013

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

I work for mice elf. I have told many of customers.

- Tom

weight.png     event.png

#134 Buddymiles5

Buddymiles5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
  • Surgeon:Liao
  • Hospital:GBMC
  • Height (ft-in):6-03
  • Start Weight:489
  • Current Weight:364
  • Goal Weight:250
  • Surgery Date:10/3/13

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

I work for my old man. There were no secrets here. One of the advantages of working for family is that he could cover for me when I was out and he was happy to do so

weight.png

#135 Racewalker48

Racewalker48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSandy Springs, GA
  • Surgeon:Miguel del Mazo
  • Hospital:Atlanta Medical Center
  • Start Weight:232
  • Current Weight:194
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29.5
  • Surgery Date:02/17/2014

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Now that I am cleared to go back to work next week, I have been thinking about this a lot.  Fortunately for me, I work from home, so my team won't see me immediately. 

I work for a large company and manage 8 people in my business unit.  I told my manager that I will be going on medical leave for 2 weeks, gave him an update that my "surgery" went well ( for my team' s benefit) and that was it.  My company's sick leave policy states that I don't have to tell my boss why I am sick or going on leave, just that I am .  The only one in the company that knows is the vendor that handles medical leave for my company.  I don't intend to tell anyone at work when I see them again that I had WLS and certainly won't tell my boss.  He is so fast and loose with his own personal business I don't trust him with mine.  Bottom line, it's none of their business.  I'm having knee replacement surgery in a couple of weeks and all my manager knows is that I am having surgery, again,  and will be out for at least 6 weeks.  

If I get questions about my weight(loss), I won't lie, but I will not discuss it either.   I don't anticipate many of my coworkers asking anyway.  I am happy to hear about those whose co-workers have been supportive and wish that for anyone who decided to be open about this in the workplace.  Unfortunately I am cynical enough to expect some people to also be disrespectful and insensitive.  

#136 dalaimama

dalaimama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Surgeon:Dr. Sonnanstine
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:261
  • Surgery Date:TBD

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

My boss knows mainly because she had it done with the same doc last year lol so we had talked about it quite a bit. Also have told one coworker, one of the two who share the same room with me. The rest? I dunno. I'm not going to volunteer it, I'm not particularly close to any of them. I think I'll be honest if asked. I really try to adhere to the "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" thinking :) It works for me for the most part lol

~*~ Cheryl

N8gDm4.png

April 29, 2014   Sleep study (the home version! lol)
May 7, 2014     Psych eval
May 15, 2014   Second NUT appt
June 17, 2014  Third NUT appt/H.pylori test
July 2014        final NUT appt
Hoping for an Aug/Sept surgery date!