• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Lynette

How many of you told your employer?

141 posts in this topic

I have told everyone

PatriciaAnn likes this

I told my boss and the people I work with and was repaid with an outpouring of support. Mostly I did this in case of anything that may happen to delay or limit my work ability. Word gets around fast and virtually everyone I see asks me how I am feeling and how good I look. No one has asked about the weight loss. I think they are impressed that I am back to work so soon out. I went back to work mid week for the first day of school. Tomorrow will be my two weeks post op day. Yes, I am tired. It is really nice to know everyone understands and has offered support. My principal tells me not to push myself and to take a day if I need one. I had some mixed feelings about the lack of privacy, especially when people I don't really know or students' parents ask how I am feeling, but I figured everyone can see me and will be seeing the changes. I have no secrets and the support has been so nice.

Natybug98 likes this

I did not tell my work, went back after a week and was so weak and sick that I had to take a few more weeks off. I confessed everything and I was way emotional. I felt so guilty! I too didn't figure it wasn't anyones business. Now everyone is in my face about what I eat and they ask me everyday how much I've lost. It's very annoying!

I told HR because I had to use Extended Leave for the surgery. Other than that, I only told my immediate boss.  Here in the USA, all medical issues are federally protected and private so they could not tell anyone else or face prison time and fines.

I work for my family, so pretty much everyone (and half the town) knows. 

I told my immediate supervisor that I was waiting for a date for surgery. when he decided to ask a wk later what type, I was honest. when I received an actual date, I told EVERYONE. not only am I too open about my life, I was excited & anxious, & it helped to talk about it. everyone is very supportive, & I feel I was right to tell them, because if there were any complications, I know they would be concerned, & would be upset that I hadn't told them.

whats funny is that outside of work, I told my immediate family & a few close friends, but no one else. I didn't announce it on fb or anything. I don't like that its considered an elective surgery. like I elected to let myself get morbidly obese, so now let me elect to get my guts sliced up to help me get back to a healthier weight.

beaudrya786 likes this

I am going to be out with hiatal hernia repair. That is true just not all of the information.

I work for mice elf. I have told many of customers.

I work for my old man. There were no secrets here. One of the advantages of working for family is that he could cover for me when I was out and he was happy to do so

PatriciaAnn likes this

Now that I am cleared to go back to work next week, I have been thinking about this a lot.  Fortunately for me, I work from home, so my team won't see me immediately. 

I work for a large company and manage 8 people in my business unit.  I told my manager that I will be going on medical leave for 2 weeks, gave him an update that my "surgery" went well ( for my team' s benefit) and that was it.  My company's sick leave policy states that I don't have to tell my boss why I am sick or going on leave, just that I am .  The only one in the company that knows is the vendor that handles medical leave for my company.  I don't intend to tell anyone at work when I see them again that I had WLS and certainly won't tell my boss.  He is so fast and loose with his own personal business I don't trust him with mine.  Bottom line, it's none of their business.  I'm having knee replacement surgery in a couple of weeks and all my manager knows is that I am having surgery, again,  and will be out for at least 6 weeks.  

If I get questions about my weight(loss), I won't lie, but I will not discuss it either.   I don't anticipate many of my coworkers asking anyway.  I am happy to hear about those whose co-workers have been supportive and wish that for anyone who decided to be open about this in the workplace.  Unfortunately I am cynical enough to expect some people to also be disrespectful and insensitive.  

My boss knows mainly because she had it done with the same doc last year lol so we had talked about it quite a bit. Also have told one coworker, one of the two who share the same room with me. The rest? I dunno. I'm not going to volunteer it, I'm not particularly close to any of them. I think I'll be honest if asked. I really try to adhere to the "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" thinking :) It works for me for the most part lol

I haven't had surgery yet. It looks like it will be the second or third Wednesday of June according to availability. I have to go to a "center for excellence" and my doc only operates there on three days a month. May is booked and they don't have all of my test results yet but should before the end of next week. Surgery days are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Wednesday of each month. I'm currently unemployed but today had my second interview with a company, met with VP of sales. I'm unsure of what to do. I'm in sales and don't want to postpone. The next step will be to fly to LA to meet the COO. I would love some input. I am hoping to only take one week off if I am already working. The first 90 days or so are spent training.

Its hard to really give advice on this. I would not mention it until you have the job offer, then determine whether you need to push back the surgery a month or two or whether it wouldn't upset your new boss to much to say "I have a pre planned medical procedure scheduled for ____," and see what happens.

I went to my boss and told her, as much as I didn't want to, I did.  I explained to her that between now and my surgery date that I would have to make appointments, she stated that it was no problem and that she would adjust my schedule for when I needed those days off.  As for telling anyone else, my boyfriend is the only person who I have discussed it with, NO ONE else.  I'm up in the air on who I am going to tell and if I really even want to share my personal business with them.  I have 6 months of weigh ins so I have a bit to think about it.

Oh I told everyone - even posted it on Face Book.  I have gotten so much support and never have to worry about who I told what. It's all out there 

GAviv likes this

My surgery date will be June 17 - I've told my hubby, 2 daughters and mum, no-one else. I come from a big family who think everyone's business is theirs and work with nice people, but everyone's in everyone's business there too. I may tell them once its obvious, but at the moment, I just want to concentrate on me for a while and keep it private.  Not interested in the negative-nellies opinions.

Stephtay likes this