#1 Lynette

Lynette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Im
  • Hospital:Kaiser Richmond

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

And I mean before you had the surgery done, how many of you told your work what you were doing?

I think I am the biggest person at my company so along with a Human Resources person who constantly comments on people's looks and couldn't keep a secret to save her life, I put in for 2 weeks of vacation for my surgery since the plan is for lap RNY and implied I was going on a trip. I can't help but feel like I would be thought of in a negative way if I took time off for an elective surgery since it would be a burden to my co-workers. Yes, I am sure it will come out when one day they realize I am shrinking, but I have already lost 30lbs for my pre-op goal with Kaiser and my clothes are really baggy and no one has said a word so who knows? In all honesty, I think it will make me mad when people start noticing I am shrinking like it implies I am disgusting now or something. Is that weird?? Maybe that will change as I lose?

So did you tell your work beforehand? When did they start noticing your loss? If you never told anyone, what did you tell them instead when they noticed your weight loss?

#2 TheFour

TheFour

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Champion
  • Hospital:Northside

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

I told no one at work. If they notice I will tell them I am dieting. Its none of their business and I dont need any negativity either, but thats me.

#3 loki8481

loki8481

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Chau
  • Hospital:princeton medical center
  • Start Weight:406
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2008

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

I told my boss and a couple guys that I'm friendly with at work. wanted to make sure I was covered in case something went wrong and I had to take more time off or even take FMLA.

didn't make a big production about it and if people bring up my weight loss, I usually just credit it to diet and exercise. the 2 weeks that I took off went largely unnoticed since it was during christmas/new year's.
~Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

goal #1: 225 pounds (my weight freshman year of high school) -- reached on 9/13/09
goal #2: onderville (199) -- reached on 11/19/09
goal #3: normal BMI (173) -- reached on 2/27/10

Milestones:

12/04: pre-op diet start (406)
12/18: surgery (383)
04/11: twoterville! (299)
11/19: onederland! (199)

#4 Ms. Readytobehealthy

Ms. Readytobehealthy

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Garth Davis
  • Hospital:Methodist Hospital
  • Start Weight:384
  • Current Weight:234
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):62
  • Surgery Date:07/29/2009

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

I've decided not to tell anyone at work either. I do not think it is any of their business. Can I ask what did you do for your pre - op, 30lbs is very good?

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?"1 Corinthians 3:16

I am on a journey to a new beginning!!......Just like a SNAIL, "Slow and Steady wins the race"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

384/344/234/150
Highest/DOS/Current/Goal

RNY LAP 07/29/09

"Over BMI 50 Club Member #1"
"Scale #!@$% #66"

Made it to Twoterville on 10/22/2009"

"Made it to the "Century Club" (-102) on 11/17/2009"

#5 Jeweld

Jeweld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Hospital:Kaiser
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):50

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

And I mean before you had the surgery done, how many of you told your work what you were doing?

I think I am the biggest person at my company so along with a Human Resources person who constantly comments on people's looks and couldn't keep a secret to save her life, I put in for 2 weeks of vacation for my surgery since the plan is for lap RNY and implied I was going on a trip. I can't help but feel like I would be thought of in a negative way if I took time off for an elective surgery since it would be a burden to my co-workers. Yes, I am sure it will come out when one day they realize I am shrinking, but I have already lost 30lbs for my pre-op goal with Kaiser and my clothes are really baggy and no one has said a word so who knows? In all honesty, I think it will make me mad when people start noticing I am shrinking like it implies I am disgusting now or something. Is that weird?? Maybe that will change as I lose?

So did you tell your work beforehand? When did they start noticing your loss? If you never told anyone, what did you tell them instead when they noticed your weight loss?

I can relate - my work is a very gossipy place. I have been talking to one person at work that I am thinking about having the surgery as he had it done about three years ago, so he has been a wealth of information. However, I do not plan to tell anyone else - I kind of worry about this since I am close to my boss and he may be hurt if he finds out and I didn't tell him, but I just don't feel comfortable. Like you said I don't want my coworkers to feel burdened because of my elective surgery. Unfortuanately, I know me being out is going to affect the other VP a lot as she will have more work to do, but I think I may by her a thank you card or small gift. It is no ones business. As far as the questions go, I am still not sure how I will handle those - especially from the students - since I work in a school I know there will be lots of questions. Well, let me know what you end up deciding - I know it is a big decision. :confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5/21/09 Orientation/Bariatric Questionnaire submitted 333 lbs.
6/24/09 Rec'd Letter verifying on WL for Options 24-week classes
7/02/09 6-Week Follow-up (TSH, Vit. D, Thamine labs ordered) 314 lbs.
8/10/09 6-Week Follow-up 304 lbs.
8/18/09 Begin Options Classes (20-weeks)
9/23/09 6-Week Follow-up 288.4
11/6/09 6-Week Follow-up Scheduled

#6 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

I work from home as a freelance writer, so I pick and choose my own assignments and it was not a problem to take time off. I told my regular clients I would be having surgery and would not be writing for a few weeks. They didn't ask any questions. It turned out a few weeks after my gastric bypass, I developed severe pneumonia and ended up in the hospital for several weeks and was very sick for about another month after that, so I ended up taking a lot more time off than I had planned. I just let them know I had pneumonia.

I also do volunteer work for the juvenile court, and had to take time off from that. Again, I just said I was having surgery. Two people asked me what kind of surgery, so I told them. One of them said she'd had a friend who'd had WLS and had very good results. The other just said good luck.

I want to add that I didn't really look at it as elective surgery. I mean, it wasn't an emergency surgery or anything like that, but I believe it was medically necessarily. Elective surgery, to me, is like a nose job.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#7 Jeweld

Jeweld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Hospital:Kaiser
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):50

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

I work from home as a freelance writer, so I pick and choose my own assignments and it was not a problem to take time off. I told my regular clients I would be having surgery and would not be writing for a few weeks. They didn't ask any questions. It turned out a few weeks after my gastric bypass, I developed severe pneumonia and ended up in the hospital for several weeks and was very sick for about another month after that, so I ended up taking a lot more time off than I had planned. I just let them know I had pneumonia.

I also do volunteer work for the juvenile court, and had to take time off from that. Again, I just said I was having surgery. Two people asked me what kind of surgery, so I told them. One of them said she'd had a friend who'd had WLS and had very good results. The other just said good luck.

I want to add that I didn't really look at it as elective surgery. I mean, it wasn't an emergency surgery or anything like that, but I believe it was medically necessarily. Elective surgery, to me, is like a nose job.

Kelly

Kelly,

Good point, you are right - I guess I just always hear them say that "elective surgery" at my doctor's office, but the truth is for many of us the results if we don't do it aren't something I want to think about. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5/21/09 Orientation/Bariatric Questionnaire submitted 333 lbs.
6/24/09 Rec'd Letter verifying on WL for Options 24-week classes
7/02/09 6-Week Follow-up (TSH, Vit. D, Thamine labs ordered) 314 lbs.
8/10/09 6-Week Follow-up 304 lbs.
8/18/09 Begin Options Classes (20-weeks)
9/23/09 6-Week Follow-up 288.4
11/6/09 6-Week Follow-up Scheduled

#8 Lynette

Lynette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Im
  • Hospital:Kaiser Richmond

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

I've decided not to tell anyone at work either. I do not think it is any of their business. Can I ask what did you do for your pre - op, 30lbs is very good?

I have Kaiser and they give you a 1200 calorie diet to follow to help lose your pre-op 10%. I dunno if they really care how you do it though, I just followed it because although I found Atkin's works well for me, I have kids at home so I needed something more balanced so I wasn't doing 2 seperate meals every mealtime :)

Kelly- I totally agree with the elective nose job vs. WLS, it is just something the program has drilled into me: "It is a high-risk elective surgery with a 30% failure rate." :rolleyes

Thanks all for the different perspectives! I do have one co-worker in particular who I think would be kind of hurt that I didn't say anything to her but I also think she wouldn't be able to keep it to herself either. I guess in the end I will just have to see how it plays out.

#9 Snow-Belle

Snow-Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Svendsen, Surgery Date 10/07/08
  • Hospital:Methodist Hospital, St Louis Park, Minnesota
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):52

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

I wasn't going to tell them at work...but once I had my surgery date, I went ahead and told my boss and co-workers (and HR, of course). I did wait until I was positive I'd be covered by FMLA (in fact, my surgeon insisted on it because I was such a 'worry-wart' and he said I'd have enough to deal with without worrying whether my job was safe).

I guess I didn't think of it as elective surgery...I had problems with my joints, blood sugar and sleep apnea and felt this was to save my life....

I was only out of work for three weeks, at had my surgery at a 'slow' time for my department--so my co-workers weren't unduly stressed by my absence.

I'm glad I told people at work. My experience so far has been incredibly positive.... and the people that are critical would have been critical any way.....(and being as I don't like them, I don't give a gosh-darn what they think anyway).

Looking back, I'm glad I did tell everyone I was having the surgery...for me it was the right decision.
~Michele

Surgery 10/07/08
Highest-at start of 10 day pre surgery liquid diet / Day of Surgery / Current / Goal
280 / 267 / 120 / 115

ONDERLAND March 15, 2009

Use it UP, Wear it OUT, Make it DO or Do WITHOUT.*
*(popular saying during the great depression)

Weight Loss so Far= 158 Pounds
Goal 1 -Weigh 180 -(Century Club)- May 15, 2009
Goal 2 -Weigh 150 -Oct 1, 2009
Goal 3 -Weigh 140 -Dec 12, 2009
ULTIMATE Goal -Weigh 115

#10 feliciadragon

feliciadragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

I told my boss and my coworkers, and as someone else said, didn't really care what they thought. But I knew that I was going to be losing over 200 lbs and that isn't something that can easily be explained away. There had been another girl there that had been out for several weeks and then lost over a 100 lbs and people just gossiped about it and speculated. I figured it would make it less interesting to gossip about if I told them the facts straight out. I did deliberately wait till our slowest time of year. Everyone I told was very supportive, no one was publicly negative or critical although I'm sure some of them had things to say about "the easy way out" when I wasn't around. I also got LOTS of questions since I was open about it, and I was ok with that because I think that the surgery is misunderstood and a lot of the negative preconceived notions people have are because they don't know facts. So I took the opportunity to educate my coworkers (whether they wanted to be or not - lol!)

Felicia

Lap RNY 2-8-06
434/201/190
Consult/Current/Goal

With every sunset comes a new dawn. Do not let life pass you by dreaming of the sunset you will never see again.

#11 GTR-Mark

GTR-Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Mueller
  • Hospital:Sharp
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):37

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

I told my boss in December that I was applying for WLS and kept him in the loop the entire approval process time. I told many of my peers. In the hospital, I received a nice plant from my boss's boss. I used 6 sick days with some part time hours the 2nd week.
Lap RNY -03/23/09
2 week pre-op starting weight -371
Day of surgery weight -350
Current weight - 230
Goal weight - 210

#12 lowflyer

lowflyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Not me.

I'd already let my boss know about my gallbladder surgery, and when I was approved by insurance for the WLS, I decided to do both at once. I didn't say anything about the WLS to him or anyone else.

Of course I had to fill out the interminable FMLA and "short term disability" paperwork to go to the entity that's handling all that now; it's been outsourced to another company. That keeps it a little more private than having to submit my personal medical information to the human resources department.

I don't intend to discuss it with anyone, and if anyone comments on my weight loss, I'll probably just thank them and move on.

#13 katzz87

katzz87

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:194
  • Surgery Date:01-14-2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

Heck, the UPS guys knows I've had WLS... :o

Cathy

#14 TheFour

TheFour

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Champion
  • Hospital:Northside

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Today has been an enlightening day with posts about being naked and being embarassed posts, bat wings and big boobs. I have learned that everyone is different about how they handle their private business (no pun intended). So if you are a private person then tell no one if you are an open person tell everyone. Either way whatever makes you comfortable do that. Otherwise it would be out of character for you.

#15 sandyleelizzy

sandyleelizzy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Daniel Fang
  • Hospital:St. Lukes Medical Center
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):47

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

I told my boss and co workers. I had nothing but complete support from them. One of them even became my caretaker and went with me to the meetings and everything. Now she wants to get it done and I will be her caretaker. I work from home so my first face to face meeting with my boss and coworkers approx 8 weeks after the surgery they were quite surprised how much I changed in just a short time.
Surgery Date: 03/02/09

Weight at surgery: 309
Current Weight: 259
Goal Weight: 165

#16 Jo Johnson

Jo Johnson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC
  • Surgeon:Dr. Mann
  • Hospital:Pitt County Memorial Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:257
  • Current Weight:129
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.8
  • Surgery Date:02/05/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

... I told mine and then they found another reason to fire me. I'm in sales, and the economy was alrady dictating someone had to go. I think my surgery gave them the opportunity to choose me.
Joanna Johnson:p
DOS February 5, 2009
Surgery Weight 257
Current Weight 135
Size 4!
7/1/09 185
7/10/09 182
8/10/09 172
8/31/09 165
Goal 140

Starting BMI 41.5
1/24/2010 BMI 21.8
"Trudge, Walk, Then Run!"

#17 jerseygrl684

jerseygrl684

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. A- my hero :)
  • Hospital:northern NJ one- just ask
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:115
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.2
  • Surgery Date:11/26/2007

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

I told my boss first, then coworkers. I see no reason to hide it. People will always talk, whether you are too fat or too skinny. Welcome to reality. lol.

Lemme add: It is very hard to think that your coworkers will believe you lost 100 lbs in 4 months for example, based on "diet and exercise"

Edited by jerseygrl684, 26 May 2009 - 09:10 AM.

248/227-highest & day of surgery
128(back from my lowest of 103)-current

If you are looking for puppies & rainbows look elsewhere, i'm not interested in feeding your crappy choices and coddling you. :)

#18 staraex

staraex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kruger
  • Hospital:Tobey
  • Start Weight:244
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.0
  • Surgery Date:11/05/2008

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

Kelly's right! and thats what i did, i told whomever!
~Tara~

Surgery Date: 11/5/08

244/130/135
Highest/Current/Goal

One-der-land: 12/14/08

Century Club: 5/28/09

Goal Achieved: 7/18/09

Current Weightloss: 114 lbs.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 loki8481

loki8481

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Chau
  • Hospital:princeton medical center
  • Start Weight:406
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2008

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

Lemme add: It is very hard to think that your coworkers will believe you lost 100 lbs in 4 months for example, based on "diet and exercise"

I dunno, I work with all guys and we're pretty much oblivious to everything and anything :P
~Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

goal #1: 225 pounds (my weight freshman year of high school) -- reached on 9/13/09
goal #2: onderville (199) -- reached on 11/19/09
goal #3: normal BMI (173) -- reached on 2/27/10

Milestones:

12/04: pre-op diet start (406)
12/18: surgery (383)
04/11: twoterville! (299)
11/19: onederland! (199)

#20 sandyleelizzy

sandyleelizzy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Daniel Fang
  • Hospital:St. Lukes Medical Center
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):47

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

I dunno, I work with all guys and we're pretty much oblivious to everything and anything :P

LOL!!! He does have a point there. :P
Surgery Date: 03/02/09

Weight at surgery: 309
Current Weight: 259
Goal Weight: 165