Photo
- - - - -

Can a vitamin deficiency cause night sweats?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Janelle

Janelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Boyce

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

I have been having pretty bad night sweats for the past month or so. My last blood work only showed a vitamin D deficiency. I think I'm too young for this to be perimenopause. I know that night sweats are a symptom of lymphoma, but my oncologist really doesn't think that is the problem. All of my cancer labs and tests are fine.

Any ideas?
www.myspace.com/janelle1970

263/126.8/135/117
Highest/Current/Surgeon's Goal/My Goal

Pre-Op 263.8
April 4 257.8
May 4 244.0
June 4 228.8
July 4 214
Aug 4 203
Sept 4 191

Nov 4 169.6
Dec 4 154
Jan 4 145.6
Feb 4 134.8
Mar 4 130
One year...133.8 pounds gone!

[/COLOR]

#2 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

I did a quick google search, and found that night sweats can be a symptom of vitamin D, calcium, and iron deficiency.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140

#3 GrandmaRose

GrandmaRose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Todd Kellogg, God bless him!
  • Hospital:UMMC, Minneapolis, MN
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

Night sweats are also a symptom of post-op GBS. Sorry. A lot of us get them. It gets better with time. I go to bed COLD, so I dress warm - then wake up soaking wet sometimes.

I found that eating fewer carbs close to bedtime helps a little. No sugar, either, of course.
Rose
Lap RNY 05/08/08
98 pounds down!
www.rosekendall.blogspot.com

#4 Snow-Belle

Snow-Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Svendsen, Surgery Date 10/07/08
  • Hospital:Methodist Hospital, St Louis Park, Minnesota
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):52

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

It could also be a result of hormones.... fat not only stores but manufactures it's own estrogen so when you start losing a considerable amount of weight quickly, it really throws your hormones out of whack and one of the results of that can be night sweats....

And I hate to tell you this...but you could be going into perimenopause....not likely but not impossible. I went through an early menopause....
~Michele

Surgery 10/07/08
Highest-at start of 10 day pre surgery liquid diet / Day of Surgery / Current / Goal
280 / 267 / 120 / 115

ONDERLAND March 15, 2009

Use it UP, Wear it OUT, Make it DO or Do WITHOUT.*
*(popular saying during the great depression)

Weight Loss so Far= 158 Pounds
Goal 1 -Weigh 180 -(Century Club)- May 15, 2009
Goal 2 -Weigh 150 -Oct 1, 2009
Goal 3 -Weigh 140 -Dec 12, 2009
ULTIMATE Goal -Weigh 115

#5 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,248 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

I'd be inclined to ask that they check your hormone levels.

Vitamin D deficiency can cause a host of symptoms, night sweats amongst them apparently. But as many people I now know who are vitamin D deficient, no one else has mentioned that problem. Do you know what your 25(OH)D level is?

At my ripe old age, I started going through perimenopause recently. Thankfully, the only symptoms have been the night sweats - or power surges as I like to refer to them. 4-5 times a night and I was beginning to feel like crud because of lack of sleep.

I'm reluctant to take hormone replacement just for the sweats and tried some alternatives.

One I found - Maca Root, erradicated my sweats in 2 weeks. I now take it (1tsp in my chocolate protein drink) 4-5 times a week and touch wood, I've not had a night sweat since.

Might be worth a try - the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work. I got it from vitacost.

Alternative to HRT: It is important to remember that maca does not itself contain any hormones, but its action on the body jogs the pituitary into producing the precursor hormones which ultimately end up raising oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels, as well as helping to balance the adrenal glands, the thyroid and the pancreas. But this occurs naturally, not with time-bomb drugs which throw the entire body into a dangerous state of confusion.

It's worth a read and it's pretty interesting anyway: Maca root : Maca Science : Hormone Replace Therapy Properties of Maca Root : Maca Magic and the Herbs America Company

If you want to try some for a couple of weeks, let me know - I'll get some powder off in the mail to you.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~