• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Laydeebugirl

Antacids Safe?

7 posts in this topic

As you all know .... the gas , the gas.

Burping and burping!

Tooting and tooting!

I sit in close quarters at work and want to burp all the time.

Are antacids like Rolaids safe for bypass patients?:confused:

Yes they are, my doc the Great Charles Callery had them on his post op med list. They are also a good source of calcium, call your doc and see what he/she suggests.

And for the GAS, get thee some GasX strips ASAP! You'll keep them in your purse and at every place you reach for help!

Yes they are, my doc the Great Charles Callery had them on his post op med list. They are also a good source of calcium, call your doc and see what he/she suggests.

Like Bridget said, yes they're allowed. :) However, I have to disagree on the good source of calcium statement....antacids contain calcium carbonate, which we don't absorb well. Your main source of calcium should be calcium citrate supplements.

Like Bridget said, yes they're allowed. :) However, I have to disagree on the good source of calcium statement....antacids contain calcium carbonate, which we don't absorb well. Your main source of calcium should be calcium citrate supplements.

They have calcium citrate antacids, I just cant recall which one it is. Hence why I suggested she call her surgeon. Yes they are a good, extra calcium supp, at least according to Dr C.

They have calcium citrate antacids, I just cant recall which one it is. Hence why I suggested she call her surgeon. Yes they are a good, extra calcium supp, at least according to Dr C.

Good info...I've never noticed those at the store before.

If you are having trouble with the gas the best things to try would be Gas X or any other one that contains Simethicone. They have an anti gas ingredient in them.

Like Bridget said, you should always check with your surgeon before taking any new meds, including over the counter meds.

Some liquid antacids and tablets contain aspirin-related ingredients, such as Pepto-Bismol. But there are others. This ingredient can increase your chance of developing ulcers. So you really need to speak to your surgeon first.

Antacids are made to reduce the acid in our stomach but after gastric bypass there is very little acid in our new pouch, so I'm not sure how much an antacid will help the problem you are having. Most of the antacids that you are familiar with out there do contain calcium carbonate. For example TUMS, Rolaids, Maalox and Mylanta all have calcium carbonate as their main ingredient. Nothing wrong with that but you shouldn't rely on it as your main source of calcium. Yes, we may absorb some of it but calcium carbonate needs gastric acid to absorb it effectively and after gastric bypass that acid just isn't there in the quantities that you need for your calcium supplementation. The truth is it is the calcium in those antacids that function as the acid reducer so the calcium citrate that we take is also a type of antacid.

Also, antacids can effect the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals. Iron is a big one so if you are taking an antacid don't be taking it with your iron supplements.

Edited by MiladyB