LadyV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Chris Mann
  • Hospital:Nash Surgical Pavillion- Rocky Mt, NC
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

My blood pressure continues to go down. Today it is 109/64. Yesterday at drs. office it was 116/69 and she stated that it was ok. She asked me if I was feeling faint when getting up from laying or sitting position and my answer was no.

My pcp continued my bp meds just changed the benecar hct from 40/25mg to 20/12.5mg a few days ago. I was also on metropolol prior to the surgery and he has just decided to continue me on both meds for a little while longer. He says for me to continue taking the medicine and return to him in 4 weeks which will be the end of March. My question and I should have asked but I don't know, I just forgot is how low is to low when it comes to your blood pressure? I was taken off the diabetes meds in the hospital but was told to continue the blood pressure meds for awhile longer.

Did anybody else have to keep taking their blood pressure medicines and for how long did you have to take them before you finally came off? I have lost a total of 25 lbs now and I guess getting nervous. Haven't seen numbers this low since I can't remember but I don't want to be in a danger zone and not recognize it. What do you all think?
LADY V

5'3" BMI=22.3
Start of WLS/day of surg/current//personal goal/
276/244/126:P/140

Approved Jan. 2, 2009 waiting for date

RNY - - - - - - - - - Feb. 11, 2009:D
home from hospital - Feb. 13, 2009
Officially down 94 lbs Sept. 3, 2009 WooHoo
Down 110lbs on 12/10/09
136 lbs on 4/3/10
126 lbs on 8/29/10 When will it stop :(

No longer morbidly obese or overweight!!!! Now I am normal

IT IS WHAT IT IS and I'M LOVING IT!!

#2 staraex

staraex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kruger
  • Hospital:Tobey
  • Start Weight:244
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.0
  • Surgery Date:11/05/2008

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:05 AM

Some experts define low blood pressure as readings lower than 90 systolic or 60 diastolic you need to have only one number in the low range for your blood pressure to be considered lower than normal. In other words, if your systolic pressure is a perfect 115, but your diastolic pressure is 50, you're considered to have lower than normal pressure.

Yet this can be misleading because what's considered low blood pressure for you may be normal for someone else. For that reason, doctors often consider chronically low blood pressure too low only if it causes noticeable symptoms.

From: Low blood pressure (hypotension): Causes - MayoClinic.com
~Tara~

Surgery Date: 11/5/08

244/130/135
Highest/Current/Goal

One-der-land: 12/14/08

Century Club: 5/28/09

Goal Achieved: 7/18/09

Current Weightloss: 114 lbs.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Helena

Helena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rebecca Shore
  • Hospital:Lowell General Hospital

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:19 AM

When I met with the surgeon last week she said my diabetes meds and blood pressure meds will be on stop/hold and they will monitor me closely. The diabetes meds ok I will be monitoring that at home several times a day the blood pressure meds made me a bit nervous since I have been on them for 20 years. But she is confident that I will not need them. I also have a blood pressure machine at home to monitor myself. That really seems to low to me. I think if those were my numbers I would have asked to be taken off the meds and then I would go buy a machine to monitor myself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dr's goal for me I made it...:D
Not sure of my goal...:rolleyes: maybe 130....

Lap Rny March 9, 2009

No longer taking blood pressure or diabetes meds.

#4 katzz87

katzz87

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:194
  • Surgery Date:01-14-2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

They stopped my diabetes meds in the hospital and they weaned me off of my blood pressure meds at about 1 month post-op. Taking me off certain meds was decided by my regular PCP, not my surgeon (except for the diabetic meds; that was by the surgeon). But I think it really depends upon many things: Your doctor, how controlled was your blood pressure prior to surgery, your bodies reaction to the surgery...but know that sooner or later you will be off the meds.

Just listen and follow your doctors suggestions...
Cathy

#5 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:48 AM

I was about 3 months post-op before I was off of all the meds.. but the blood pressure was the first of the three for me to lose. I had to wait for a set of labs at the 3 month mark to lose the cholesterol and had to adjust my insulin based on my numbers... but the blood pressure meds I'd gone off of them around the one month mark.

Didn't you say you had a blood pressure cuff at home? I would call and ask for directions from your PCP on how to monitor your BP at home and wean yourself off, what to do if it goes too low, what to do if you feel symptons. I wouldn't worry about bothering the doc..this is your health and it's too important.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#6 nittinnana

nittinnana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Caruana
  • Hospital:Sisters of Charity
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hi--I always had low blood pressure--lucky enough never to have it go high--never symptomatic though--can't imagine getting lite headed with that along with the hypoglycemia--geesh I would be a mess--lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary :)

wt b4 pre-op diet 249.4
day of surgery 236.8
current 131.8
first goal met St. Patrick's Day! 160
new goal (normal wt) 144

Century Club on April 30, 2009!

NO LONGER OBESE--ONLY OVERWEIGHT AS OF 1/6/08
ONDERLAND 11/11/2008!

GOAL MAY 19, 2009!

#7 Karlos

Karlos

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Surgeon:Mr Basil Ammori
  • Hospital:Alexander Cheadle Manchester
  • Start Weight:400
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:196
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:02/07/2009

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

My blood pressure has been lower post op (Down to 130 over 70 from 143 over 80), (It dropped to 68 over 30 just after the op) and the doctor dropped one set of meds completely and will monitor the others over the next few weeks.

I've also dropped my Diabetes meds which is great, though I will have to monitor my bloods closely, especially when I go on solid food I guess
H 400 / Curr 151 / Goal 196 / Lost 249 / New Goal 182

My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today

It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time - Sir Winston Churchill

The commonality between those that think they can and those that think they cant, IS they're both right

Posted Image