Hi all! Yet again, I have a portion controll question. Last night I was able to measure out 3 oz of chicken for dinner. Today I did the same for lunch (trying to vary my protein shakes), and I am almost sick after 1 1/2 oz. What am I doing wrong? I have taken all your guy's advice to heart and now I think I am doing it wrong again. :( Please help.!

Tracy,

Relax :) Your pouch will except different amounts depending on the day, the time, the food, how hungry you are, how well you chew, and how fast you eat. Some days, I can eat much more than others, just like pre-op. It is ok to measure out your food so that you don't over eat, but that doesn't mean you have to eat it all. If you get full stop. You are doing fine, as I said before, relax and let the surgery work for you. :cool:

When I was only 3 months postop I could barely tolerate 1-2 oz of chicken. Solid meat can be hard on the pouch. Moist meat in a soup base was better tolerated by me those first 6 months. Just take it easy, chew well and when you get that very first sensation of fullness, STOP....Do not take another bite....even if it occurs after one 3-4 bites of solid meat. That's what works for me.

Thank you for the help. I am very scared at this point. I don't want to strech or hurt my pouch and I am reluctant to eat anything. I see Dr. Potts today, so I will see what he reccomends. Thank you for your replys. :D

:rolleyes: Hi there. You are about 3 weeks ahead of my 2/23 surgery date. I don't think I could eat 31/2 oz of chic (or any meat) if you held a gun to my head. Who told you to eat that amount??? I can eat probably at the max 2oz, but again that varies. Sometimes I can seem to eat more than others, but never 31/2 oz of meat. That is a chic breast...average size, meat only 31/2 oz. When we have chic for dinner I can usually eat my breast for 2, or most of the time 3 meals. That's the same piece of chic. I eat some salad or veggies w/it, but not much. Can I ask you a question? I thought at the 6 week mark we were supposed to stop w/protien shakes and switch to bars. I still do the protien shakes because the bars are gross and I can't eat a whole one in a single day. Let me know what you think of all this okay? How is your weight loss going? I found great shake w/only 110 calories, 21 grams prot, 1 fat, and no sugar...oh, and the ever important 3 grams of fiber!! They aren't thick like others and taste nice and sweet....get back to me when you can. I am curious what other people at my stage are and aren't eating yet and how they feel overall. Thanks and good luck.

Jean

I was trying 3 oz of chicken to get in my protein. The UCLA website has a list of food with protein contents and the 3 oz was what I needed to make the 50 grams we are supposed to have a day. I have now resorted to making a 4 ounce shake instead. As far as swiching to bars instead of shakes, I can't do it. The bars feel like lead in my "little" belly. At this point I can't eat too many things. When I make healthy choices like salad (preferrably baby spinach), and chicken, I can tolerate eating. I have had a hard time with pushing food away when I am full, so I have other people take my food when I am done. At this point, it works for me. I prefer to make a 8 ounce shake and take a couple (2) hours to drink it. ;)

I saw Dr. Potts yesterday and I am down a total of 42 pounds! YEAH!!!! My overall energy level is great. I work out 6 to 7 days a week with a two mile walking/aerobic video. I am fine until I try food. I am still learning portion controll. I have lost 8 inches in my waits and 2 inches in my hips! :P

I am sorry this got a little long. I hope I answered all your questions. Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you want more. I would be happy to chat with you. :D

I am almost 2 years post-op and still can not eat chicken. The first bite will stick in my throat and stay there for what seems forever! My portion size for other meats (fish, steak, etc.) is about 3 ounces, if I have just started to eat vegetables in very small quantities. Some days it seems to be too much food and other days it seems just right. I do eat fruit as a snack at times. I start my day with about 4 cups of caffeine free tea, and when I have "phantom" hunger I have found out that I am not staying hydrated enough and have more tea, it works for me. One thing that is new for me since this surgery is carbohydrate cravings and salty food which I have to watch out for, I can't even bring bread in the house, I become obsessed over it.....I guess being pro-active is better than being reactive and knowing these foods will lead me down a "forbidden" path it is better to not have them at all.