MiladyB

Surgeon's Updated Menu Plans

135 posts in this topic

Well we just have to keep our "super star" in the spot light ya know. :D

How are ya feelin these days? I swear we HAVE to find a way to keep you and kelly out of the hospital.

Awwww, thanks sweet lady.

I'm not feeling too good these days, I'm afraid. I've had some pretty significant nausea the past week and abdominal pressure. I'm heading in for an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow morning. So we shall see what words of widom he might have. I had the nurse order me some Phenergan which seems to help but its no fun trying to work when I keep getting these waves of nausea.

I'm kinda wondering if I have an ulcer. I've been on Prilosec since my last hospitalization so I don't know. I'm kinda feeling what I did last time they threw me in the hospital but it isn't as painful. I didn't have an ulcer then. I know that for sure because I was scoped along with all the other numerous tests I had.

So I'll just have to see what the good doc has to say tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll be heading for a scope and maybe another CT. I just gotta feel better before the end of August. I have a rather important wedding. :)

Beth,

I saw the Crimson Kittie rebooted her computer and was able to get it to work so I tried that and it worked for me too!!! Thank you so much for this info. My doc office did give me like a pack that was about 20 pages, but this is so much more info...it will be awesome to have some info to have as a resource.

Thanks again....You are awesome!!!

I'm glad you got them to open, Laurie. :) The support staff in my surgeon's office are fantastic! Besides all being very knowledgable they are so open in doing whatever they can to help their patients. I few weeks ago I told the nutritionist how much so many of the people on TT have appreciated what she does for her patients. She actually was very moved and teared up. It means a lot to her to help everyone on this journey.

Glad I could help others out. It's one of the things I love myself, being there for others on this journey. :)

I don't know how I would manage the next step of my weight loss journey had I not stumbled across TT. Thank you for posting.

This is a very good thread. I have posted to my computer.

I don't know how I would manage the next step of my weight loss journey had I not stumbled across TT. Thank you for posting.

Oh, you're very welcome. :) I'm glad you found them helpful. I'm lucky enough to have a very knowledgable and caring bariatric nutritionist.

You know recently I told her about much people on this forum appreciate all the information she gives the patients of my surgeon's practice. It honestly made her tear up. She isn't a wls patient but struggled with her weight for years. She is just this tiny little thing but she used to weigh over 200 pounds. The fact of the matter is that "she gets it." She really does and wants to do anything she can to help her patients on this journey. She is also very open to me sharing any info she gives me with all of you. :)

Hi Beth- Thanks so much for this info! I have printed it out and ready to memorize. I am 2 weeks out today and it is so hard to figure out what exactly and how much I am supposed to eat. My doc sent me home with a VERY small packet which is both for the Lap Band and Bypass so sometimes it was hard to tell which one I was reading :) . Yours is perfect. I am so excited to actually try some of the recipes. Yeah. Thank you. I know I have not been getting enough protein or water. It's hard!! This should help. My doc sent me home with a prenatal to crush everyday and some ulcer preventive medicine. That's it. Shoudl I be taking more? Or wait until after I see him? My follow up appointment is September 8th. Again, thanks so much for posting this info:)

Darosakim,

One prenatal vitamin a day is probably not giving you enough of what you need. I really suggest you look into a vitamin specifically designed for WLS patients, like Bariatric Advantage or Celebrate. You usually need two of those a day. Also, you need to be taking a calcium supplement a couple times a day. It is usually recommended that you take between 1000 and 1500 mg of calcium a day. My doctor also recommended a B complex and a B12 supplement, and many docs recommend iron, although mine didn't. He just wanted me to get my iron checked periodically and to take a supplement if it was low, which it never has been so far.

Kelly

I know this post was initiated several months aog, but wanted to thank you for it!! I was doing a search on menu options and came across this. Thanks a bunch for the info, it is very helpful.

I know this post was initiated several months aog, but wanted to thank you for it!! I was doing a search on menu options and came across this. Thanks a bunch for the info, it is very helpful.

You're welcome, glad you found it helpful. :)

Hi Beth- Thanks so much for this info! I have printed it out and ready to memorize. I am 2 weeks out today and it is so hard to figure out what exactly and how much I am supposed to eat. My doc sent me home with a VERY small packet which is both for the Lap Band and Bypass so sometimes it was hard to tell which one I was reading :) . Yours is perfect. I am so excited to actually try some of the recipes. Yeah. Thank you. I know I have not been getting enough protein or water. It's hard!! This should help. My doc sent me home with a prenatal to crush everyday and some ulcer preventive medicine. That's it. Shoudl I be taking more? Or wait until after I see him? My follow up appointment is September 8th. Again, thanks so much for posting this info:)

Surgeons will vary on when they introduce certain vitamins. Mine starts you out with 2 Celebrate chewable multi-vitamins and 30mg of chewable iron a day. The calcium citrate is added in at 12 weeks post-op.

When I first had surgery I was taking 2 prenatal a day but the practice that I am with has been finding deficiencies later out and no longer recommends the prenatal vitamins. My vitamin of choice is the Celebrate vitamins. After 3 years post-op I noticed a slight trend downward of some of my labs, in regards to the iron absorption, so I have adjusted several of my vitamins up. This is what I currently take in regards to vitamins.

AM:

1 chewable Celebrate multi-vitamin

500mg Celebrate Calcium Citrate Plus

2000 IU Vitamin D3

LUNCH:

SUPPER:

1 chewable Celebrate Multi-vitamin

BEDTIME:

75mg Carbonyl Iron

500mg Vitamin C

Now for someone whose labs are fine the minimum recommendation is 2 multi-vitamins a day (200% of the recommended amounts)

1500-2000mg Calcium Citrate

30mg Carbonyl iron or Ferrous Fumerate

I don't add in additional B12 since there are adequate amounts in the Celebrate multi-vitamin but if you are using a different multi-vitamin I would recommend adding in additional B-12.

You need to pay attention to the "forms" the vitamins are in. Certain forms are the most absorbable.

The ones to especially look at are:

Calcium: Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D

Vitamin D: D3 (dry form)

Iron: Carbonyl or Ferrous Fumerate

Vitamin E: "dl" NOT "d"

Milady, I could not open this either. Is there any way you could mail me a copy or post it in another type of file? I think it is something I really need. Love and thanks Vicky

Thanks for this Beth. I wish I had found this when I first had my surgery. Lots of good info!

Milady, I could not open this either. Is there any way you could mail me a copy or post it in another type of file? I think it is something I really need. Love and thanks Vicky

Vicky, if you pm me your email I would be happy to send them to you. :)

Sam, glad you found the info helpful. I personally think I have one of the greatest bariatric nutritionist! All the credit has to go to her.

Thanks for posting. I've saved them so I can refer to them after surgery. :)

This is super helpful since I'm currently trying to figure out how to be the MOST successful I can me. surgery is in 26 days!

Surgeons will vary on when they introduce certain vitamins. Mine starts you out with 2 Celebrate chewable multi-vitamins and 30mg of chewable iron a day. The calcium citrate is added in at 12 weeks post-op.

What is the reasoning for not starting calcium until 12 weeks post-op, do you know? I know some doctors do that but I can't understand why. And the ASMBS recommends starting calcium on day one.

Kelly

What is the reasoning for not starting calcium until 12 weeks post-op, do you know? I know some doctors do that but I can't understand why. And the ASMBS recommends starting calcium on day one.

Kelly

From my understanding it has to do with the tolerance of pills. Patients are struggling with getting in their protein, fluids, multi vitamins, iron and any other meds they may be on. You throw too much into the mix on a swollen, healing pouch and you run the risk of patients not being able to tolerate much of anything.

Now this is something I'm not positive on so don't quote me. Just something I have noticed is that calcium deficiencies don't normally become an issue until further out. Our bodies store different vitamins and minerals for different lengths of time. Some we may deplete quickly, others not so quickly. Calcium, I believe is one of those that we have a pretty good up-front supply of.

This is something I'm going to have to check on, though. Vic mentioned today that he saw a question in the nutrition area that he was going to email me about and explain the answer. Wonder if it was your question? :D I'll shoot him off an email and see what he has to stay. I know that calcium deficiencies kind of are his soapbox so I bet he could explain. I'll also send an email to my nutritionist and see what her explaination is too.

Thanks, Beth. I am very curious. I think you are right about calcium deficiencies usually occuring further out, but at the same time it seems to like it would be better to stay on top of it from the start. Of course people will probably be getting some calcium in their multi and some from their diet. So maybe that is sufficient.

For those that are concerned about having to take six or eight chewable calciums a day early out when it's hard to get anything down, there are a couple of options if you do want to get your calcium in. Celebrate makes this stuff called ENS which is a drink mix that is a multivitamin plus 500 mg calcium. I think it would be great for new post-ops. You need your fluid anyway. There is also Upcal D, which is 500 mg calcium citrate plus some vitamin D in a powder. You mix it in any drink and you don't even know it's there.

Kelly

Thanks, Beth. I am very curious. I think you are right about calcium deficiencies usually occuring further out, but at the same time it seems to like it would be better to stay on top of it from the start. Of course people will probably be getting some calcium in their multi and some from their diet. So maybe that is sufficient.

For those that are concerned about having to take six or eight chewable calciums a day early out when it's hard to get anything down, there are a couple of options if you do want to get your calcium in. Celebrate makes this stuff called ENS which is a drink mix that is a multivitamin plus 500 mg calcium. I think it would be great for new post-ops. You need your fluid anyway. There is also Upcal D, which is 500 mg calcium citrate plus some vitamin D in a powder. You mix it in any drink and you don't even know it's there.

Kelly

I'll let you know what they have to say, Kelly. :) I do agree with you though about starting earlier if you can tolerate them. I'm interested in trying the ENS. I picked up a sample of it from Vic today. I plan on giving it a try in the morning.

Thanks for the info though. You do a great job with educating everyone. :)

I like the ENS a lot. I think it tastes just like grape Koolaid. The directions say to mix with 8 - 16 ounces of water and the first time I tried it, I put it in a bottle of water with about 16 ounces of water. It was too weak, I thought. I normally use about 6 - 8 ounces now. Probably closer to 6. So I recommend starting with less water and if it tastes too strong to you, then add more.

Kelly

I like the ENS a lot. I think it tastes just like grape Koolaid. The directions say to mix with 8 - 16 ounces of water and the first time I tried it, I put it in a bottle of water with about 16 ounces of water. It was too weak, I thought. I normally use about 6 - 8 ounces now. Probably closer to 6. So I recommend starting with less water and if it tastes too strong to you, then add more.

Kelly

Thanks for the suggestion, Kelly. I'll be giving it a try tomorrow. :)

Great Info, thank you

Thank you so much for sharing this. This is vital!

Bumping this up...good menu information for all stages!

Edited by ncblueyes

This might sound stupid, but when it says "switch only" what does that mean?

This might sound stupid, but when it says "switch only" what does that mean?

I don't see where it says "switch only." Do you mean where it says "duodenal switch?"

Kelly