cinwa

What can I put on an itchy incision site?

14 posts in this topic

I understand that itching is a good sign but this is driving me nuts! It's not inflamed or red, just dry and incredibly itchy.

And I have to tell you, lap RNY is a walk in the park compared to having a tummy full of staples.

Anyway - they come out on Friday but I need some suggestions as to what I can put on the incision site with the staples still in.

I've got 3 sites where they started laproscopically and then the big opening from my sternum to my belly button.

I've got some vitamin E capsules - various other oils. Can anyone recommend something please?

peanut butter?

Can you use neosporin on them? I am not sure. Are you on antibiotics? Make sure its not some type of yeast infection.

Fingernails?:D:D

It makes a mess, but damn it feels so good!!

Fingernails?:D:D

It makes a mess, but damn it feels so good!!

Trust u !!!!!!!!!!! :D

Do u have any sudocreme or anything similar over there Corrine ?

Hoping your taking things easy & feeling more human .

Hugs

Sara x

What about taking Benadryl for the itching. It may make you tired but it should give you some relief.

What about taking Benadryl for the itching. It may make you tired but it should give you some relief.

You can get benadryl cream as well, that may work.

Corrine,

I personally found it didn't matter what I put on the outside-aloe,vit. e , benadryl, I tried them all.

The only thing that helped was taking the benadryl capsule.

Good luck.

Chrissie

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a little wary of ingesting anything else - oxycodone is knocking me for 6 but the upside is that I don't feel much of anything - just peace! lol ...... char038.gif

Staples come out on Friday - if it's still annoying me I'll talk with the surgeon about it.

Hydrocortisone cream worked well on my incision sites, but I don't think you're supposed to use it for more than 2 weeks. Good luck!

I just so happened to ask the Nurse Practioner at work today about my itchy skin. She recommended a lotion called Sarra or Saira (she couldnt remember the exact spelling). You can get it at Wal-Mart she said for like $10 for a big bottle. She also said it had a very strong menthoyl smell, but it was good stuff. I'm going to try to find it tomorrow.

anti itch hydrocortisone is the only thing that is working for me - i only have the little incisions and was told that its ok by dr. Not sure about the long incision.. Good luck

I ended up using some vitamin E oil on it and it really helped.

There's no redness or anything else nasty going on - it's just very dry and itchy.

sorry it took so long to get here, Cor. yes, i was going to suggest that vitamin E oil... i think that stuff is awesome! and it's natural, so i don't think you can go wrong.

glad you found relief! :)