cinwa

Track Your Bloodwork!

38 posts in this topic

Thanks for answering my question before I asked it Beth. I am four months out and not had a blood test yet so I was curious as to when I needed to get one and thought I might need to remind them.

ardita likes this

Thank you for this recommendation.

I did not take my supplements faithfully and I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. PLEASE I hope everyone that reads this remembers to take your supplements! Keep on top of your Blood work! In 2.5 months mine took a nose dive! I was tired all the time and really pale. I just put it off as not feeling good. Everyone noticed and no one said anything. If your dragging around ask why? Check the inside of your bottom eye lid and compare it to someone in your family or a friend. If its pale you need to get into see your doctor.

Also get a recommended list of blood work that should be checked on GBS people and give it to your PCP.

I have found that "LiquidMax complete nutritional multivitamin formula" has helped, along with making sure I take my iron 3 times a day, folic acid and C to help get it into my system. I am so taking extra A, D, B1 and B12.

It is hard to build yourself back up once you have hit bottom. My surgery was in 2007. Don't think your o.k. keep on track you know your body better than anyone. I am wishing good health to you all! Take those stinken supplement!

Love you all

ok, so I cut and pasted the two list, now can some one tell me what is duplicated so I can pass along to dr tomorrow. Thank you all.

CMP

Lipid Profile

CBC w/ diff

B12

Bili-Direct

Ferritin

Iron/TIBC

Magnesium

RBC Folate

Thiamine

Uric Acid

Vitamin D, 25-OH

PTH

TSH

Copper

Zinc

Urea Nitrogen

Urea Nitrogen/Creat

Anion Gap

Osmolality, Calc

Magnesium

Phosphorous

Amylase

GGT

ALK PHOS

TBILI

Iron Serum

Iron Binding Capacity Total

Transferrin Sat

Prealbumin

Folate

B12

Lipase

25-OH Vit (Sea2)

25-OH Vit (Sea3)

Calcidiol

Vit.A (Retinol)

HGB A1C

PTH Intac

selenium

Edited by mismrck

bumping again, i think i got some things deleted that were doubled any other suggestions.

Edited by mismrck

Courtesy of acdlady.com

This is a list of lab tests that various gastric bypass patients have found to be very helpful in diagnosing their special circumstances. This is not comprised by medical experts, but rather gleaned from experience.

COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PROFILE (sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose, BUN, creatinine, total protein, albumin, total bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase) ~ (Nc, K, C1, CO2, Glu, BUN, Cr, Ca, TP, Alb, Tbili, AP, AST, ALT).

LIPID PROFILE (cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, chol/HDL ratio [Fasting specimen], Tchol, Trig, HDL, Calc, LDL)

ALT (SPGT)

GGT

LDH

PHOSPHORUS-INORGANIC

URIC ACID

CBC (HEMOGRAM/PLT/DIFF)

THIAMINE (B1), PYRADOXINE (B6)

B-12 & FOLATE (also, HOMOCYSTEINE and METHYLMALONIC ACID as part of this picture)

IRON, TIBC, % SAT

FERRITIN (completes the iron picture and VERY important)

VITAMIN A & D (25-hydroxy)

THYROID PANEL (T3u, T4, FTI, TSH)

SERUM INTACT PTH (parathyroid)

MAGNESIUM RBC

ZINC

PRE-ALBUMIN

CORTISOL

I would include copper too.

thanks Corrine!!! Please if you know something is duplicated here let me know, Thanks!!!

This is the revised list that I have:::::

Hep Panel ALT (SPGT) (GGT)

LDH

PHOSPHORUS-INORGANIC

THIAMINE (B1),

PYRADOXINE (B6)

B-12 & FOLATE (also, HOMOCYSTEINE and METHYLMALONIC ACID

IRON, TIBC, % SAT

FERRITIN

VITAMIN A

THYROID PANEL (T3u, T4, FTI, TSH)

SERUM INTACT PTH (parathyroid)

MAGNESIUM

ZINC

PRE-ALBUMIN

CORTISOL

CMP

Lipid Profile

CBC w/ diff

Bili-Direct

RBC Folate

Uric Acid

Copper

Urea Nitrogen and Crea

Anion Gap

Osmolality, Calc

Amylase

ALK PHOS

TBILI

Iron Serum

Transferrin Sat

Lipase

Vit d-25-OH Vit (Sea2) (Sea3)

Calcidiol

HGB A1C

Selenium

Hormone Panel

Hemogram with platelets:

Osteocalcin:

Vitamin K:

PT and PTT

MMA:

Vitamin E

Edited by mismrck

With due respect mismrck, I'm not a doctor.

Surgeons have different protocols and it depends on how far out you are and any pre-existing medical issues.

You really should seek advice from your doctor on this.

For anyone who is interested in tracking their labs, I have a couple different spreadsheets. One is Excel and the is a WORD document. Feel free to send me a message with your email address and I'll send them your way.

Would you please send me your spreadsheets? I'm about two months pre-op, feeling iffy. I'm a control freak, and I will feel better if I know exactly what's going on.

My email is:

lianabanana39@aol.com

I appreciate this, being a "newbie" and all. I'm both excited and scared at the same time.

Thank you,

Liana

It's been 2 1/2 years since this thread was started and certainly, the bloodwork I have done now is a little more comprehensive than my original posting. And to save confusion, this is a list of bloodwork that we need:

CMP

Lipid Profile

CBC with differential

B12

Bili-direct

Ferritin

Iron/TIBC

PTH

Magnesium

Folate

Thiamine (B1)

B6

Vitamin E

Vitamin K

Uric Acid

Vitamin A and D (25 hydroxy)

Zinc

Phosphorus

Copper

Selenium

I know that Beth has a good bloodwork spreadsheet - Pam Tremble also has a good one although you'll have to check that it's got everything on it - it was written in 2008 but it's easy to update it with anything else you need. The download is towards the bottom of the page: http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/10/labwork-recommendations-after-wls.html

Thanks for all this info!!! This is great! I may have missed this, but when should someone (me LOL) start getting these done? I'm pre op right now and about 2 months out from the projected surgery date. It would make sense to me to get these tests run now so as to fix anything that may be off, but I may be wrong?

Thanks so much! great great topic!

Lynne

Thanks for all this info!!! This is great! I may have missed this, but when should someone (me LOL) start getting these done? I'm pre op right now and about 2 months out from the projected surgery date. It would make sense to me to get these tests run now so as to fix anything that may be off, but I may be wrong?

Thanks so much! great great topic!

Lynne

Lynne - when you go for your pre-op testing, they'll draw blood. It won't cover all of the list I posted earlier but it'll be the basics. Make sure you get a copy of the results of those. That'll be your benchmark.

You could ask your doc if s/he'll run some basic labs now - it can't hurt. And see if you can get your Total serum 25(OH)D. Vitamin D3 is something most people are deficient in - if you can correct that (or at least start to correct it) before surgery, it'll help a lot.

And I'd recommend you start taking a multivitamin now - something like Centrum is fine. Just make sure you ask the surgeon/anesthesiologist about when to discontinue it for surgery.

Have any of you had a doctor refuse to do some of the tests?  I asked if a few additional counts could be done a year ago at my physical and the doctor said, I don't know if your insurance will cover this.  I asked if he could do it anyway and he said he didn't see any reason to have the additional work done. 

T

Currently searching for a doc that is GB friendly and knowledgeable

Probably the better way of going about it is to find out exactly what blood work your insurance will cover and then shop around for labs and see what deal you can get.

I just did a quick Google and found this but I'm sure there are plenty of others :   

http://www.healthtestingcenters.com/oklahoma-blood-test.aspx