• Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.3
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here has fibromyalgia and has had weight loss surgery. I'm getting my RNY on 11/4. I was diagnosed with fibro several years ago. I had lost a bunch of weight back in '06 and felt better, but have since gained the weight back (plus a few more).

I was on Nortriptylene for a few years and it seemed to help but the pain was getting worse so my doc switched me to Cymbalta. The Cymbalta does help somewhat, at first a lot, but now I think I need a higher dosage. I'm hoping the surgery will give me some relief.

I'm wondering if anyone here who has had the surgery and has fibro feels better after weight loss. If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

Finally made it to goal on 12/18/2009!

#2 Patschick

Patschick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Edward Mun
  • Hospital:Faulkner Hospital
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):43

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia around 3 or 4 years ago. I had aches and pains that were almost constant, but bearable. Then every now and then the pain would get really intense, and not let up for a couple of weeks. I would be unable to move or get much done until it subsided.

Ever since I had surgery, I still get occasional bearable aches and pains, but I haven't had one attack of the intense pain I used to get. I've lost a total of 64 pounds from my highest weight, and the difference in my joints is remarkable. Carrying all that extra weight around REALLY made the fibromyalgia worse. I still have 75 more pounds to lose to get to my goal weight, but the difference in my pain level is already amazing.

I still get bouts of extreme exhaustion, but the bursts of energy that I get from weighing so much less kind of balances that out. I just try to get a good amount of sleep every night.
Lap RNY Date: 7-21-08

Highest Weight: 274
Surgery Weight: 250
Current Weight: 170
Goal Weight: 138

#3 Marella

Marella

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts
  • Start Weight:352
  • Current Weight:196
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:04/28/2008

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

Great questions and I'd like to have more input on this as well.

I was diagnosed years and years ago, but I've never been put on any meds except for an occasional Celebrex which I can no longer take and that's a big bummer.

I was in denial about my Fibro diagnosis until about 2 years ago when the pain debilitated me so bad I was useless for a few weeks (hence, the Celebrex) and the pains only source was pointing to Fibro.

I'm not sure I want to take Lyrica or other Fibro meds because of the side effects. I too am hoping that my WLS will help the pain be more manageable without meds. I'm almost 6 months out.
~ Marella

Day 77: TTwo-terville - 53 lbs down
Day 188: Century Club - 100 lbs down
Day 366: 1 Year - 146 lbs down
Day 396: One-derland - 153 lbs gone forever! (my pic progression)

Starting BMI: 60.4 / Current BMI: 33.6

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nearly 16 TEN pound bowling balls down... OMG, let me pinch myself!

I don't want to know how much I have left to lose -- I find it encouraging to see how far I've come!

#4 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI
  • Surgeon:Dr. William O'Malley
  • Hospital:Highland - Rochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:18 AM

Patschick, that's encouraging. As I mentioned, it was better for me when I was thinner, so I'm hoping that will be the case in the future.

Marella, regarding the side effects of the meds: yes, I did have side effects from the Cymbalta at first, but I noticed that the paid was gone the first day I was on it. The first day, I didn't want to drive because it made me feel really strange, but the next day I was ok. I felt a bit out of it for a couple of weeks, but am used to it now. I was a little nauseous, but I started taking it with a little food and that helped. It did reduce my appetite, which might not be such a good thing post-op.

It has made a significant change in the way I feel, however. I was off my other meds for a few days before I started it and the pain was horrible. It was then that I realized that I truly do have fibromyalgia. I've questioned it since my diagnosis.

One of the symptoms I have when I get a 'flare' is I feel like I have the flu and get an overwhelming sense of fatigue. My Dad has lupus and his symptoms are very similar.

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

#5 Kirsty

Kirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:37 AM

I was diagnossed with Fibro 5 years ago. I have been on neurontin, percocet, vicodin, lyrica, and then tried to self medicate. I have since stopped taking any and all meds perscription and illeagal, and refuse to go on another medication because I am now a recovering addict. I had gained a tremendous amount of weight since becoming clean and sober which of course did not help with my pain! Hence my journey into weightloss surgery.

I had my surgery 2 1/2 months ago and I am down 60 pounds from the start of my pre-op diet. I still have some of the pains but they are not nearly as frequent or as dibilitating! I have energy to run and play with my baby girl and I have not had a migrane headache since I started my pre-op diet. I still get tired very easily, have a hard time getting a restless nights sleep and do not have as much energy as I would like to have but I still have quite a bit more weight to lose. So we will see how it all goes.

Good luck with your journey!!!
Kirsty:p

Surgery Done 8/19/08 today I am down 178lbs!!

#6 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

I'd like to get off meds too eventually. So there is some hope. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

#7 Momof3

Momof3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

Great questions and I'd like to have more input on this as well.

I was diagnosed years and years ago, but I've never been put on any meds except for an occasional Celebrex which I can no longer take and that's a big bummer.

I was in denial about my Fibro diagnosis until about 2 years ago when the pain debilitated me so bad I was useless for a few weeks (hence, the Celebrex) and the pains only source was pointing to Fibro.

I'm not sure I want to take Lyrica or other Fibro meds because of the side effects. I too am hoping that my WLS will help the pain be more manageable without meds. I'm almost 6 months out.

I took lyrica when I had a BAD case of cellulitis then developed shingles...

I didnt have any side effects...it was a God send.

Then again I hurt so bad I might not have even noticed the side effects LOL

#8 Marella

Marella

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

I think I'm going to ask my doc about what she suggests at my next appt. If it may be just for a while, or even long term, I feel so bad right now that side effects aside, if I can feel better, I'm going to give it a try.

(I was on Oxycontin recently for about 2 months and that was amazing, AND when it was over, I crashed, slowly the pain and restlessness came back to where it is now.)

On my list is Cymbalta and Lyrica to research and ask her about. I'm glad they're OK for RNY'ers.
~ Marella

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't want to know how much I have left to lose -- I find it encouraging to see how far I've come!

#9 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:151
  • Goal Weight:149
  • Surgery Date:05/29/2008

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

I was formally diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 10 years ago, but I've had symptoms of it since I was 8 or 9 years old.

As I've lost weight, I'm feeling a big difference. I no longer takes fibro meds of any type now. I do have some occasionally aching though...especially with the recent weather changes.
What did YOU eat today? Join your fellow TT'ers by posting at:
What did you eat yesterday (or today)?

Lap RNY -05/29/08
274 orientation/253 day of surgery/151 current/149 goal
Total pounds gone - 122

#10 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:16 AM

I think I'm going to ask my doc about what she suggests at my next appt. If it may be just for a while, or even long term, I feel so bad right now that side effects aside, if I can feel better, I'm going to give it a try.

(I was on Oxycontin recently for about 2 months and that was amazing, AND when it was over, I crashed, slowly the pain and restlessness came back to where it is now.)

On my list is Cymbalta and Lyrica to research and ask her about. I'm glad they're OK for RNY'ers.

I was reluctant to take Cymbalta. A close friend's son was on it briefly before he committed suicide. They say it's not a good med for young people. But being the old broad that I am, I guess it's ok. I told hubby to call the doc if I started acting weird. I felt weird for a couple of days, but just spacey, not suicidal.

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

#11 Marella

Marella

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

Suicide... gosh! That's so sad.

I'm depressed enough, I don't need medi help to get the the ER.

I've never liked those kind of meds. I'll take the pain meds, and luckily, they're controlled so I can't stay on them a long time, but boy, when I'm on them, I get rest and I feel great. Now I know why some people Pharmacy shop, or do illegal narcotics. I'm glad I'm not at that point where I have to go to extremes.

I'm very reserved about talking to my doc about Fibro medication. I know I need pain relief, and I'm afraid of it getting worse instead of better. Maybe I should wait and lose more weight, and re-address it, if need be, later.
~ Marella

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

I know that there are some herbal remedies that work too. I'm sure there's lots of info out there about it. The Cymbalta works for me so I'm sticking with it for now. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to dealing with pain. It's not the same as a narcotic.

The idea that you'll go off the controlled pain meds sounds great, but what happens when you do? Do you just suffer? I have a cousin who is in constant pain and has tried to get off the pain meds, only to keep going back to them. Once you're pain free, it's hard to go back to being in pain again. JMHO

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

#13 Marella

Marella

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

It's not the same as a narcotic.

True...

all food for my research... thanks.
~ Marella

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

I was reluctant to take Cymbalta. A close friend's son was on it briefly before he committed suicide. They say it's not a good med for young people. But being the old broad that I am, I guess it's ok. I told hubby to call the doc if I started acting weird. I felt weird for a couple of days, but just spacey, not suicidal.

I was on Cymbalta for 2 or 3 years, because my neurologist feels it helps with migraine prevention. The withdrawal from that stuff is awful! You have to be very slowly weaned to a lower dosage, and after completely stopping after that, I had awful flu-like symptoms.

Lap RNY -05/29/08
Total pounds gone - 122

#15 Kirsty

Kirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

I am one who chosses to suffer through the pain. With being a recovering addict, I do not want to take the chance of getting addicted to the many narcotics that they try to say will help - they really dont! They mask the pain for a while and then they can cause the pain to get worse due to the effects that they have on your brain, which then makes you need to up the dosage or go to a stronger med. I tried Lyrica and it was an awful experiance I was very withdran and cried all the time. I swear by accupuncture, it is the most relaxing experiance and it has helped ease my pain and migraines - no with my weightloss most of my days are tolerable - some are wonderful and with the more weight I lose I hope the wonderful days will outweigh the bad.

#16 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

I was on Cymbalta for 2 or 3 years, because my neurologist feels it helps with migraine prevention. The withdrawal from that stuff is awful! You have to be very slowly weaned to a lower dosage, and after completely stopping after that, I had awful flu-like symptoms.

That is odd because when I first started taking it, for the first 2 weeks I'd wake up about 2 hours after taking it with a wicked migraine. Now that I'm used to it, I don't have any symptoms other than sleepiness (at night after I take it anyway). One thing have have noticed now though, is that I don't get as many migraines as I did before I started taking it.

I have flu-like symptoms as part of my fibromyalgia (when I'm not taking any meds) and I had those when I stopped taking my other medication before I went on Cymbalta. I don't want to take meds for the rest of my life, but I also don't want to suffer and spend the rest of it in bed or being miserable. As long as they work and I can afford to buy them, I'll keep taking them. Whatever works. I tried acupuncture and hated it. It worked great for my daughter's migraines, but I thought it was a horribly painful treatment. The doc used electronic stimulants with it and I felt like I was being electrocuted. That was the first and last time I'd ever try it. A lot of people swear by it, and it really did cure my daughter's migraines, but it's not for me.

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

#17 Snow-Belle

Snow-Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Svendsen, Surgery Date 10/07/08
  • Hospital:Methodist Hospital, St Louis Park, Minnesota
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):52

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

Greetings Vicki,

I was diagnosed with Fibro about three months ago...all of my body ached, plus, I've had neuropathy in my right leg ever since I was in an auto accident 3 years ago and that had gotten so bad I couldn't sleep at night.

My doctor put me on nerontin/gapapentin for the neuropathy and the fibro.... I haven't had any of the fibro symptoms since and it also has kept my leg/neuropathy pain down at night so I can sleep.

I asked about Lyrica...but she thought that nerontin would be a better choice for me.

She also said that she's hoping after I lose about 50 pounds, I won't be troubled much by either the fibro or the neuropathy.

I'm not even a month out...so it's going to be some time (and weight loss) before I know if losing weight will indeed make a difference.
~Michele

Surgery 10/07/08
Highest-at start of 10 day pre surgery liquid diet / Day of Surgery / Current / Goal
280 / 267 / 120 / 115

ONDERLAND March 15, 2009

Use it UP, Wear it OUT, Make it DO or Do WITHOUT.*
*(popular saying during the great depression)

Weight Loss so Far= 158 Pounds
Goal 1 -Weigh 180 -(Century Club)- May 15, 2009
Goal 2 -Weigh 150 -Oct 1, 2009
Goal 3 -Weigh 140 -Dec 12, 2009
ULTIMATE Goal -Weigh 115

#18 sherry7

sherry7

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

Something else I meant to mention....

When I was first "formally" diagnosed with fibromyalgia, the rheumatologist asked me how I slept. I replied that I slept fine. She then asked how many times a night I woke up. I replied that I woke up briefly about 3 or 4 times a night. (To me, that was perfectly normal, since I've had that sleep pattern since I was a child.) She told me that because I was waking up so often, my body wasn't getting the deep REM sleep that I needed. She put me on a low dosage of a muscle relaxer, which I took about 45-60 minutes before going to bed at night. I started sleeping soundly throughout the night, just an occasionally waking to visit the bathroom. Within about 2 weeks, my fibromyalgia had a HUGE improvement.

So, for any of you who are hesitant to go on some of the various drugs, ask your doctor about a muscle relaxer for night time use. It decreased my symptoms by at least 80%.

Lap RNY -05/29/08
Total pounds gone - 122

#19 Kirsty

Kirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:34 AM

Something else I meant to mention....

When I was first "formally" diagnosed with fibromyalgia, the rheumatologist asked me how I slept. I replied that I slept fine. She then asked how many times a night I woke up. I replied that I woke up briefly about 3 or 4 times a night. (To me, that was perfectly normal, since I've had that sleep pattern since I was a child.) She told me that because I was waking up so often, my body wasn't getting the deep REM sleep that I needed. She put me on a low dosage of a muscle relaxer, which I took about 45-60 minutes before going to bed at night. I started sleeping soundly throughout the night, just an occasionally waking to visit the bathroom. Within about 2 weeks, my fibromyalgia had a HUGE improvement.

So, for any of you who are hesitant to go on some of the various drugs, ask your doctor about a muscle relaxer for night time use. It decreased my symptoms by at least 80%.

You know Sherry that is one of my biggest problems - The Restless nights!! I think I may take your advice. I was recently admitted into the hospital due to getting the flu and becoming dehydrated, and my surgeon gave me a Zanex to help me sleep through all the hospital noise and my goodness I have never got a better nights sleep. Maybe I will talk to my doctor about something just low dose.

#20 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:30 AM

I take 2 pills at night to help me sleep yet I'm still up several times a night. In addition to the Cymbalta, I take .25 mg of Xanax and that does ease the edge. My problem is that I also have anxiety and I get anxious if I can't fall asleep. The Xanax helps. It's a controlled substance so you have to get a special Rx for it and can only get it for a month's supply at a time. So I ask my doc to give me an Rx to take it 3 times a day and the Rx lasts me 3 months. That way I don't have to keep running back to their office and bug them for a new Rx. No way would I take it 3 times a day, though. I'd be a zombie. People say it's addicting. I suppose it could be if I felt I had to take it all the time, but if I don't take it at night, I can still sometimes fall asleep and sometimes I forget to take it. I don't crave it or anything. My daughter takes it when she has a panic attack, but not any other time.

You hear so much about drugs becoming addicting, especially sleeping pills and pain meds. However, if you have a chronic condition, I would think you'd always have to be on those meds. I mean, sure I could stop taking them, but then I'd feel like *&^%. So what's the big deal? Am I addicted to those drugs because I need them? Is someone with high blood pressure or diabetes addicted to their drugs because they need them? Yeah, I suppose I could be miserable for the rest of my life, but why should I be?

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal