• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CiCi

CiCi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:28 AM

I've surfed the internet and found various tid-bits, but I'm hoping for some "real life" answers.

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability? I find myself anxious & irritable A LOT over the past few months, all for reasons that I should be able to control but can't. Traffic, noisy co-workers, cold temperatures, etc. Things I can't do anything about yet I get so worked up! I want so bad to let go of the frustration but that only seems to upset me more.

I've tried deep breathing... time outs... walking... changing my routine, etc. I am hoping someone has a suggestion in herbal form. St John's Wort does not seem to work for me.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I'm feeling rather desperate. :(
T r a c i
RNY LAP March 30, 2005
244 pre-op / 121 current and holding!

#2 Thin With In

Thin With In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Is someone around that you can ask to give you a foot massage? The other day I was so uptight I just wanted to pounce on the first unsuspecting soul. My hubby ended up giving me a foot massage and I drifted off to sleep. I woke up refreshed and less irritable.
I wish I know of an herb or something to help you out. Not much help was I?
Sue Wright

Top Weight: 290
Goal Weight: 135

RNY Surgery on 08/28/08
Now: 245

#3 CiCi

CiCi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:17 AM

Nah, no such luck with the massager. If I were only lucky enough to have that!
T r a c i
RNY LAP March 30, 2005

#4 katzz87

katzz87

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:194
  • Surgery Date:01-14-2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Is someone around that you can ask to give you a foot massage? The other day I was so uptight I just wanted to pounce on the first unsuspecting soul. My hubby ended up giving me a foot massage and I drifted off to sleep. I woke up refreshed and less irritable.
I wish I know of an herb or something to help you out. Not much help was I?

What a lucky dog you are!!! :cool: Oh, so jealous... :) I just love me some massage...you can NEVER get enough, in my opinion! :D
Cathy

#5 JimM

JimM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Start Weight:384
  • Current Weight:200

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability?

...but talk therapy might help.

I know it's not a quick fix, though...

Write me, hon. I know I'm not a licensed therapist but I'm a good listener none-the-less (and I think I've given you reasonably good advice in the past). :)

#6 CiCi

CiCi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

...but talk therapy might help.

I know it's not a quick fix, though...

Write me, hon. I know I'm not a licensed therapist but I'm a good listener none-the-less (and I think I've given you reasonably good advice in the past). :)

You are and have always been THE BEST, Jim, but this is something talk won't help. I need medication! I'm afraid I'm past the point of guidance and support. I hate to give in to it, but I may need to go to the doctor for help. This isn't your normal, "I'm having a bad day and it'll get better soon." It's not a specific thing that is wrong... nothing I can isolate or pinpoint to fix. I guess I was just hoping there was something non-prescription I could take. I've tried everything else I can think of.
T r a c i
RNY LAP March 30, 2005

#7 JimM

JimM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

You are and have always been THE BEST, Jim, but this is something talk won't help. I need medication! I'm afraid I'm past the point of guidance and support. I hate to give in to it, but I may need to go to the doctor for help. This isn't your normal, "I'm having a bad day and it'll get better soon." It's not a specific thing that is wrong... nothing I can isolate or pinpoint to fix. I guess I was just hoping there was something non-prescription I could take. I've tried everything else I can think of.

Hmmmm... from how you're sounding in your post, I think seeing a doctor is a good idea, hon. The only problem with only seeing a doctor is that they don't treat any underlying emotional/psychological components, they just prescribe the pills...

A combination of talk therapy and medication might go a long way in helping you. I'm suggesting that combination for you from my personal experience. I've gone through two major depressive episodes in the last 5 years and the combination of therapy and drugs saved my life (I was to the point of suicide in both instances). I know that irritability can be a component of depression so I'm thinking maybe you might want to dig deeper into why you're feeling so anxious & irritable.

Clonazepam - in my personal experience - is a fabulous drug for anxiety (and fast-working, too) so maybe that might help the anxiety you're feeling... at least for the short-term (not sure how it would affect the irritability, though)... I really think you should add therapy to the mix, too, for the best results.

I'm worried about you. As I mentioned earlier, write me - even if it's only to say hi. You don't have to write me a novel, I just want to know you're all right. :o

#8 Kimberly76

Kimberly76

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  • Surgeon:John Birkmeyer
  • Hospital:University of Michigan
  • Start Weight:365
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.9

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hiyas CiCi!

I am currently anxious & irritable, and I went to my doctor and she prescribed me Lexapro 20mg. I tells yas, it sure does take the edge off. Hopefully after surgery I won't need it, but all this waiting I needed to be put on something or I was going to go nuts.

Take care,

Kimber~

"I'm living life now, not just existing." ~Kimber M.

#9 bezobraz

bezobraz

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kim
  • Hospital:Boston Tufts Medical
  • Start Weight:313
  • Current Weight:159
  • Goal Weight:150

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

I've surfed the internet and found various tid-bits, but I'm hoping for some "real life" answers.

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability? I find myself anxious & irritable A LOT over the past few months, all for reasons that I should be able to control but can't. Traffic, noisy co-workers, cold temperatures, etc. Things I can't do anything about yet I get so worked up! I want so bad to let go of the frustration but that only seems to upset me more.

I've tried deep breathing... time outs... walking... changing my routine, etc. I am hoping someone has a suggestion in herbal form. St John's Wort does not seem to work for me.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I'm feeling rather desperate. :(

Hi,

I actually used few things successfully to keep my anxiety in check.

There is an extract of the Valerian Root; it has been used for centuries to help with insomnia and anxiety. For some reason it is not very popular in US.
See more info here Diagnose-Me: Treatment: Valerian Root.

Also I used Homeopathic Remedies for Anxiety from Whole Foods (an organic store in Mass). I tried a couple of things before I found the one that worked for me. I copied info from their website. I am sorry for the long post; I am not able to get an exact link.

-tonya

Aconitum napellus: A panic attack that comes on suddenly with very strong fear (even fear of death) may indicate this remedy. A state of immense anxiety may be accompanied by strong palpitations, shortness of breath, and flushing of the face. Sometimes a shaking experience will be the underlying cause. Strong feelings of anxiety may also occur when a person is just beginning to come down with a flu or cold.

Argentum nitricum: This remedy can be helpful when anxiety develops before a big event: an exam, an important interview, a public appearance or social engagement. Dizziness and diarrhea may also be experienced. People who need this remedy are often enthusiastic and suggestible, with a tendency toward peculiar thoughts and impulses. They often crave sweets and salt (which usually make their symptoms worse).

Arsenicum album: People who are deeply anxious about their health, and extremely concerned with order and security, often benefit from this remedy. Obsessive about small details and very neat, they may feel a desperate need to be in control of everything. Panic attacks often occur around midnight or the very early hours of the morning. The person may feel exhausted yet still be restlessfidgeting, pacing, and anxiously moving from place to place. These people may also have digestive problems or asthma attacks accompanied by anxiety.

Calcarea carbonica: This remedy is usually indicated for dependable, solid people who become overwhelmed from physical illness or too much work and start to fear a breakdown. Their thoughts can be muddled and confused when tired, which adds to the anxiety. Worry and bad news may agitate them, and a nagging dread of disaster (to themselves or others) may develop. Fear of heights and claustrophobia are also common. A person who needs this remedy is often chilly and sluggish, has a craving for sweets, and is easily fatigued.

Gelsemium: Feelings of weakness, trembling, and mental dullness (being paralyzed by fear) suggest a need for this remedy. It is often helpful when a person has stage-fright about a public performance or interview, or feels anxious before a test, a visit to the dentist, or any stressful event. Chills, perspiration, diarrhea, and headaches will often occur with nervousness. Fear of crowds, a fear of falling, and even a fear that the heart might stop are other indications for Gelsemium.

Ignatia amara: A sensitive person who is anxious because of grief, loss, disappointment, criticism, loneliness (or any stressful emotional experience) may benefit from this remedy. A defensive attitude, frequent sighing, and mood swings are other indications. The person may burst unexpectedly into either tears or laughter. Headaches that feel like a nail driven into the side of the head, and cramping pains in the abdomen or back, are often seen when this remedy is needed.

Kali phosphoricum: When a person has been exhausted by overwork or illness and feels a deep anxiety and inability to cope, this remedy may help. The person is jumpy and oversensitive, and may be startled by ordinary sounds. Hearing unpleasant news or thinking of world events can aggravate the problems. Insomnia and an inability to concentrate may develop, increasing the sense of nervous dread. Eating, warmth, and rest often bring relief. Headaches, backaches, and nervous digestive upsets are often seen when this remedy is needed.

Lycopodium: Individuals likely to respond to this remedy feel anxiety from mental stress and suffer from a lack of confidence. They can be self-conscious and feel intimidated by people they perceive as powerful (yet may also swagger or be domineering toward those with whom they feel more comfortable). Taking on responsibility can cause a deep anxiety and fear of failure, although the person usually does well, once started on a task. Claustrophobia, irritability, digestive upsets with gas and bloating, and a craving for sweets are often seen when this remedy is needed.

Natrum muriaticum: Deep emotions and a self-protective shyness can make these people seem reserved, aloof, and private. Even when feeling lonely, they tend to stay away from social situations, not knowing what to say or do. (Inhibitions sometimes leave completely if they turn to alcohol, which makes them feel embarrassed afterwards.) Easily hurt and offended, they can brood, bear grudges, dwell on unhappy feelings, and isolate themselvesrefusing consolation even when they want it. However, they are often sympathetic listeners to other peoples problems. Claustrophobia, anxiety at night (with fears of robbers or intruders), migraines, and insomnia are often seen when this remedy is needed.

Phosphorus: People who need this remedy are openhearted, imaginative, excitable, easily startled, and full of intense and vivid fears. Strong anxiety can be triggered by thinking of almost anything. Nervous and sensitive to others, they can overextend themselves with sympathy to the point of feeling exhausted and spaced out or even getting ill. They want a lot of company and reassurance, often feeling better from conversation or a back-rub. Easy flushing of the face, palpitations, thirst, and a strong desire for cold, refreshing foods are other indications for Phosphorus.

Pulsatilla: People who need this remedy often express anxiety as insecurity and clinginess, with a need for constant support and comforting. The person may be moody, tearful, whiny, even emotionally childish. (Pulsatilla is a very useful remedy for children.) Getting too warm or being in a stuffy room often increases anxiety. Fresh air and gentle exercise often bring relief. Anxiety around the time of hormonal changes (puberty, menstrual periods, or menopause) often is helped with Pulsatilla.

Silicea (also called Silica): People who need this remedy are capable and serious, yet are also nervous, shy, and subject to bouts of temporary loss of confidence. Anxiety can be extreme when they are faced with a public appearance, interview, examination, or any new job or task. Worry and overwork can bring on headaches, difficulty concentrating, and states of exhaustion, oversensitivity, and dread. Responsible and diligent, they often overreact and devote attention to tiny detailsmaking their worries (and their work) more difficult. They often have low stamina and come down with colds, sore throats, or other illnesses after working hard or being under stress.

Homeopathy Dosage Directions
Select the remedy that most closely matches the symptoms. In conditions where self-treatment is appropriate, unless otherwise directed by a physician, a lower potency (6X, 6C, 12X, 12C, 30X, or 30C) should be used. In addition, instructions for use are usually printed on the label.

Many homeopathic physicians suggest that remedies be used as follows: Take one dose and wait for a response. If improvement is seen, continue to wait and let the remedy work. If improvement lags significantly or has clearly stopped, another dose may be taken. The frequency of dosage varies with the condition and the individual. Sometimes a dose may be required several times an hour; other times a dose may be indicated several times a day; and in some situations, one dose per day (or less) can be sufficient.

If no response is seen within a reasonable amount of time, select a different remedy.

313/305/159/180/145
Highes/pre-op/current/Goal/Dream

Surgery: 5/5/2008, 100 lb lost October 27 2008, Wonderland Desember 22 2008

4 months out 232 lb (9/4/2008)
5 months out 221 lb (10/5/2008)
7 months out 200 lb (12/9/2008)
8 months out 198 lb (01/6/2009)
10 months out 186 lb (03/07/2009)
12 months out 179 lb (05/05/2009)
15 months out 168 lb (08/28/2009)

#10 Vikkator

Vikkator

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI
  • Surgeon:Dr. William O'Malley
  • Hospital:Highland - Rochester, NY
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.3
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

Have you ever tried Chinese medicine? My daughter used to go to Dr. Shang for acupuncture. His wife deals with herbal remedies. Read the testimonials from the website. Chinese herbs Happy Mood for depression insomnia anxiety ADD/ADHD,Baby Boom for infertility, cancer support treatment, using methods from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Integrative Medicine, Rochester, Fairport, Vestal, Binghamton,Ithaca Endi. My brother uses her stuff and swears by them.

Vicki

RNY 11/04/2008

248/145/138

Pre-op/Current/Goal

Finally made it to goal on 12/18/2009!

#11 porkchop

porkchop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Emma Patterson
  • Hospital:Legacy Good Samaritan
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Vikkator love your new avatar. :D

Oh and I treat my irritability with a walk on the beach and a time out petting one of my cats. I know that is not very helpful but I don't like drugs ie. Prozac ect.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

before/surgery/now/goal/dream
301/288/195/175/150
SW # 26
# 2/22/09 in the Century Club
3/10/09 made it to Onederland

#12 CiCi

CiCi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

you all are absolutely awesome. great advice and information. i'll let you know what i decide to do.

Jim, i'll write you tomorrow, luv. you are right... there are reasons i'm feeling like i am but it seems so HUGE and overwhelming right now. maybe i'm just having a hard time trying to pinpoint it. more to come...
T r a c i
RNY LAP March 30, 2005

#13 JimM

JimM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

Jim, i'll write you tomorrow, luv. you are right... there are reasons i'm feeling like i am but it seems so HUGE and overwhelming right now. maybe i'm just having a hard time trying to pinpoint it. more to come...

I'll be looking for it, hon. :)

XOXO

#14 sassy37

sassy37

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire
  • Surgeon:Dr Paul Super
  • Hospital:Heartlands , Birmingham , England
  • Start Weight:273
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:09/26/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

[quote name='CiCi']I've surfed the internet and found various tid-bits, but I'm hoping for some "real life" answers.

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability? I find myself anxious & irritable

Hi Cici ..
Im in the uk and I take KALMS , Im sure u will get them over the pond .
They are a traditional natural plant remedy , and relieve worry , irritablilty , stresses & strains !
ACTIVE INGRIEDIENTS ARE
: HOPS POWDER BHP 45 MG
EXTRACT OF VALERIAN 135MG
EXTRACT OF GENTIAN 90MG
ALSO CONTAINS SUCROSE

THEY have worked me for me , they also promote a decent nights sleep , also relieves menopause symptoms including : wakefulness , flushes , and cold sweats .
its worth a try and they are not expensive , think I paid around 3.00 GBP

Tc now xxxxx
Sas x

Best Regards

Sas xx

Surgery date :Friday 26th Sept 2008

first fill 24.11.08 =6.5cc

Second fill 29.01.09=1 ml

Third fill = 1ml

Forth fill = 1/4 ml

10ml band filled to 8.45ml

Ive lost 133 pounds with THE BAND ! Im at Goal at last !