CiCi

"Natural" Cure for Irritability?

14 posts in this topic

I've surfed the internet and found various tid-bits, but I'm hoping for some "real life" answers.

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability? I find myself anxious & irritable A LOT over the past few months, all for reasons that I should be able to control but can't. Traffic, noisy co-workers, cold temperatures, etc. Things I can't do anything about yet I get so worked up! I want so bad to let go of the frustration but that only seems to upset me more.

I've tried deep breathing... time outs... walking... changing my routine, etc. I am hoping someone has a suggestion in herbal form. St John's Wort does not seem to work for me.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I'm feeling rather desperate. :(

Is someone around that you can ask to give you a foot massage? The other day I was so uptight I just wanted to pounce on the first unsuspecting soul. My hubby ended up giving me a foot massage and I drifted off to sleep. I woke up refreshed and less irritable.

I wish I know of an herb or something to help you out. Not much help was I?

Nah, no such luck with the massager. If I were only lucky enough to have that!

Is someone around that you can ask to give you a foot massage? The other day I was so uptight I just wanted to pounce on the first unsuspecting soul. My hubby ended up giving me a foot massage and I drifted off to sleep. I woke up refreshed and less irritable.

I wish I know of an herb or something to help you out. Not much help was I?

What a lucky dog you are!!! :cool: Oh, so jealous... :) I just love me some massage...you can NEVER get enough, in my opinion! :D

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability?

...but talk therapy might help.

I know it's not a quick fix, though...

Write me, hon. I know I'm not a licensed therapist but I'm a good listener none-the-less (and I think I've given you reasonably good advice in the past). :)

...but talk therapy might help.

I know it's not a quick fix, though...

Write me, hon. I know I'm not a licensed therapist but I'm a good listener none-the-less (and I think I've given you reasonably good advice in the past). :)

You are and have always been THE BEST, Jim, but this is something talk won't help. I need medication! I'm afraid I'm past the point of guidance and support. I hate to give in to it, but I may need to go to the doctor for help. This isn't your normal, "I'm having a bad day and it'll get better soon." It's not a specific thing that is wrong... nothing I can isolate or pinpoint to fix. I guess I was just hoping there was something non-prescription I could take. I've tried everything else I can think of.

You are and have always been THE BEST, Jim, but this is something talk won't help. I need medication! I'm afraid I'm past the point of guidance and support. I hate to give in to it, but I may need to go to the doctor for help. This isn't your normal, "I'm having a bad day and it'll get better soon." It's not a specific thing that is wrong... nothing I can isolate or pinpoint to fix. I guess I was just hoping there was something non-prescription I could take. I've tried everything else I can think of.

Hmmmm... from how you're sounding in your post, I think seeing a doctor is a good idea, hon. The only problem with only seeing a doctor is that they don't treat any underlying emotional/psychological components, they just prescribe the pills...

A combination of talk therapy and medication might go a long way in helping you. I'm suggesting that combination for you from my personal experience. I've gone through two major depressive episodes in the last 5 years and the combination of therapy and drugs saved my life (I was to the point of suicide in both instances). I know that irritability can be a component of depression so I'm thinking maybe you might want to dig deeper into why you're feeling so anxious & irritable.

Clonazepam - in my personal experience - is a fabulous drug for anxiety (and fast-working, too) so maybe that might help the anxiety you're feeling... at least for the short-term (not sure how it would affect the irritability, though)... I really think you should add therapy to the mix, too, for the best results.

I'm worried about you. As I mentioned earlier, write me - even if it's only to say hi. You don't have to write me a novel, I just want to know you're all right. :o

Hiyas CiCi!

I am currently anxious & irritable, and I went to my doctor and she prescribed me Lexapro 20mg. I tells yas, it sure does take the edge off. Hopefully after surgery I won't need it, but all this waiting I needed to be put on something or I was going to go nuts.

Take care,

Kimber~

I've surfed the internet and found various tid-bits, but I'm hoping for some "real life" answers.

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability? I find myself anxious & irritable A LOT over the past few months, all for reasons that I should be able to control but can't. Traffic, noisy co-workers, cold temperatures, etc. Things I can't do anything about yet I get so worked up! I want so bad to let go of the frustration but that only seems to upset me more.

I've tried deep breathing... time outs... walking... changing my routine, etc. I am hoping someone has a suggestion in herbal form. St John's Wort does not seem to work for me.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I'm feeling rather desperate. :(

Hi,

I actually used few things successfully to keep my anxiety in check.

There is an extract of the Valerian Root; it has been used for centuries to help with insomnia and anxiety. For some reason it is not very popular in US.

See more info here Diagnose-Me: Treatment: Valerian Root.

Also I used Homeopathic Remedies for Anxiety from Whole Foods (an organic store in Mass). I tried a couple of things before I found the one that worked for me. I copied info from their website. I am sorry for the long post; I am not able to get an exact link.

-tonya

Aconitum napellus: A panic attack that comes on suddenly with very strong fear (even fear of death) may indicate this remedy. A state of immense anxiety may be accompanied by strong palpitations, shortness of breath, and flushing of the face. Sometimes a shaking experience will be the underlying cause. Strong feelings of anxiety may also occur when a person is just beginning to come down with a flu or cold.

Argentum nitricum: This remedy can be helpful when anxiety develops before a big event: an exam, an important interview, a public appearance or social engagement. Dizziness and diarrhea may also be experienced. People who need this remedy are often enthusiastic and suggestible, with a tendency toward peculiar thoughts and impulses. They often crave sweets and salt (which usually make their symptoms worse).

Arsenicum album: People who are deeply anxious about their health, and extremely concerned with order and security, often benefit from this remedy. Obsessive about small details and very neat, they may feel a desperate need to be in control of everything. Panic attacks often occur around midnight or the very early hours of the morning. The person may feel exhausted yet still be restless

Have you ever tried Chinese medicine? My daughter used to go to Dr. Shang for acupuncture. His wife deals with herbal remedies. Read the testimonials from the website. Chinese herbs Happy Mood for depression insomnia anxiety ADD/ADHD,Baby Boom for infertility, cancer support treatment, using methods from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Integrative Medicine, Rochester, Fairport, Vestal, Binghamton,Ithaca Endi. My brother uses her stuff and swears by them.

Vikkator love your new avatar. :D

Oh and I treat my irritability with a walk on the beach and a time out petting one of my cats. I know that is not very helpful but I don't like drugs ie. Prozac ect.

you all are absolutely awesome. great advice and information. i'll let you know what i decide to do.

Jim, i'll write you tomorrow, luv. you are right... there are reasons i'm feeling like i am but it seems so HUGE and overwhelming right now. maybe i'm just having a hard time trying to pinpoint it. more to come...

Jim, i'll write you tomorrow, luv. you are right... there are reasons i'm feeling like i am but it seems so HUGE and overwhelming right now. maybe i'm just having a hard time trying to pinpoint it. more to come...

I'll be looking for it, hon. :)

XOXO

Does anyone know of a natural, perhaps herbal remedy to help irritability? I find myself anxious & irritable

Hi Cici ..

Im in the uk and I take KALMS , Im sure u will get them over the pond .

They are a traditional natural plant remedy , and relieve worry , irritablilty , stresses & strains !

ACTIVE INGRIEDIENTS ARE

: HOPS POWDER BHP 45 MG

EXTRACT OF VALERIAN 135MG

EXTRACT OF GENTIAN 90MG

ALSO CONTAINS SUCROSE

THEY have worked me for me , they also promote a decent nights sleep , also relieves menopause symptoms including : wakefulness , flushes , and cold sweats .

its worth a try and they are not expensive , think I paid around