Blueyz

Anyone have a really cool job?

I'm currently a full time babysitter/ housekeeper for my sister, but I do work from home doing some product testing and then getting referrals to try them. Taking care of my nephews is great, but I'm just about ready to get back out to the real world. I'm hoping that once I've lost enough weight that my back problem will become more manageable and I can get a regular job. 

Wow this thread has been going a long time!!

It's making me sad I can't find what makes me happy because so many of you LOVE your jobs....Its very much my goal, to find my calling.

Let's start at the beginning...

Wrapped Christmas trees (with lights) at a Christmas store

Retail Clerk

Customer service rep

cashier at a lumber yard

CSR for a stationary Co.  (mostly helping create wording for wedding invites)

Secretary at a construction Co

Secretary at a building/plan office

High school volleyball coach

Nail technician

Mother/Self employed farmer with my ex-husband (multiple businesses in Ag Industry)

Currently I am an office manager for a commercial walnut dehydrating plant,  a bookkeeper and a Real Estate Agent.  I'm also a certified lactation counselor but am not currently working in that field.

I'm tired of being all over the place!  I want to find the one thing that makes me happy and do it!  The problem is, I have my kids and refuse to miss anything in their lives.  So, for instance, I love helping people so I think nursing would be a good route for me.  But I can't get a job with nursing hours because I am divorced and the schedule with the kids is all over the place.  I think I should suck it up and use this time to go to school.  Then I'm in no hurry and can decide what I want to do when they are grown.  Ugh.  Sorry, this sounds more like it should be in my journal lol

I think I have a cool job.  I am a Registered Nurse at a maximum security prison.  been doing this for 32 years.  Retiring in 2 more at 62 years old.   now that I have lost 110 lbs. I will enjoy my retirement. 

Hello! I totally love my job. I'm an RN, and I currently work for one of the Big 3 Insurance companies, and I'm able to work out of my own home! I have been with my co for about 2.5 years, and just recently made a lateral move from a clinic to the home setting. I work for a group of doctors who make home visits to patients. I do a mix of patient education, case management, all-around-problem-solving, etc.

It took me many years of bedside-nursing to get to build up the skills I have that allowed me to transition to a non-traditional nursing job. I'm proud of where I am, and the effort it took me to get there.

I graduate with my Bachelors of Nursing in a month (got an Associate Degree) with a 4.0 average. I plan on going to grad school...unsure if for Family Nurse Practitioner or Nursing Education. 

I love my job so much that I encouraged my husband to become an RN. Four of our friends also went to nursing school at our near insistence. It's a great job with such flexibility and different career paths. For people with an IT background, there's Nursing Informatics. For people who like to problem solve, there's Case Management, there's different avenues of nursing leadership....

I work in medical billing but I'm hoping to get into coding. Coders get to work from home which is what I really want to do. I took a coding course but I don't think it has really prepared me to get coding credentials. I heard the CPC exam is really hard.

Edited by cranberry_island

I cook for a large daycare.  I love cooking and little kids.  I'm around food all the time..

I work as an investigator for a federal law enforcement agency.

I love my work, and I feel like I'm fulfilling my civic duty. I get to work from home 1 day a week (as well as situational telework if needed) and I earn plenty of sick and vacation time, so taking off is never an issue. I work a regular 8.5 hr day M-F and have off on federal holidays. I have a flex schedule, so I can come and go as I please as long as I work 8.5 hrs, and there is no dress code (unless I have to go to court or meet with "important" people). I also get to work overseas -- all voluntary, and I pick the places and dates. In the last 2 years I've gone on work trips to Italy, India, England, Belgium, and a few places in Africa.

I have an incurable case of wanderlust and my job affords me the ability to travel the world with little personal cost. While I feel like I should be paid more than I am, when I weigh the positives and negatives of transferring to another agency, I always end up much further ahead where I am.   

I'm most looking forward to more comfortable travel when I get rid of this extra weight!   

On 10/7/2015 at 4:03 PM, Rodzilla said:

I think I have a cool job.  I am a Registered Nurse at a maximum security prison.  been doing this for 32 years.  Retiring in 2 more at 62 years old.   now that I have lost 110 lbs. I will enjoy my retirement. 

I worked as an RN in a prison for a couple years, and have been missing it lately. It was definitely it's own little world of nursing!

I'm currently a chronic care manager RN for a large physicians office. It's the first time in my career as an RN that Im not really at bedside treating people, and its been quite an adjustment. I basically, in my own, polite and caring way, harass my diabetics and CHFers (and other major chronic diseases) to stick with their diet and medications and try my hardest to keep them out of the hospital. I also do a lot of teaching - bringing new diabetics in to teach them how to use an insulin pen, for example. 

Transitioning from 3 12's to 5 8's has been more than a little annoying, but I think this job will get me through school to become a nurse practitioner. If not, I'll likely head back to working in a prison :)