Blueyz

Anyone have a really cool job?

282 posts in this topic

For my next job, I want a cool job. I have always wanted to be a make-up artist, but can't because I don't have the experience. I also want a job where I can interact with people such as working in a hospital doing registration or something. I am very computer savvy and can type very fast. I might look into being a dispatch for the local police department. I dunno. I want a fun job and I figured this is the best place to ask for your thoughts and what you all do for a living. I am not able to be physical, but I surely can use the computer and phone.

Going back to the make-up artistry...I have enough makeup for 50 girls in their life time and love to do other people's make-up...crazy, huh?

marcey76 likes this

I have the best job EVER!!! I never in a million years would have thought that I would end up here but I absolutely love it.

I started out as an Administrative Assistant for a construction company 3 1/2 years ago. I am now working as a junior estimator for a large construction company. I have had no formal training or even college, but yet here I am. I am now in a position of power over many men in a predominately man's world... and I rule the show!!! I go toe to toe with men every day and I demand their respect and low and behold I actually get it.

I never in a million years thought that me, the wall flower, would be where I am at today. I don't know if surgery has helped that or not but I do know that I have much more self esteem and confidence.

Therefore...I HAVE THE COOLEST JOB EVER!!!

Edited by Jtcox88

I manage a recreation centre and wave pool, its pretty cool although management has its headaches. I was a paramedic for 8 years and that was cool.

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a doctor and most recently decided that when I retire, I am going to work at Starbucks.

Stephtay, DavidPaul and melodyssss like this

Hey the sheriff's do testing all the time for dispatchers. Go on line and you can get an app. If you can type 30 words a min then you can apply. Plus it pays pretty good and they have good medical benefits. :D

Hey Blueyz,

Do I recall you have painful back issues and sitting is a problem and pain-causing for you? I might have you confused with someone else so pardon my error if I'm incorrect okay?

All those options are doable from what you said. Makeup artist would require some schooling I'm inclined to think. But not a lot of time, judging from the preliminary exam I've done with my daughter. You never know, there are apprentice programs and probably opportunities to at least get your foot in the door. I'd think they require some serious hunting down. And then there's the community college option for training too, right?

Definitely look into the county jobsite, they list positions online, as do the state and other law enforcement agencies. They're usually through the county but some are listed through the city law enforcement agency. Online is the best tool for finding the jobs. I'm going through the same job hunt, having been strictly in the legal field my whole career. But I'm not sure I can keep working for lawyers :rolleyes:

The healthcare system is booming, and again the internet is the best place to look. Find the big healthcare systems in your area and their job postings should all be online, as they are here in my state.

Have you looked into the temp agencies in your area? Most agencies you're interested in (law enforcement) don't use them. But the other options you're thinking of might use agencies. Look for the better ones, and go apply at them all. You'll get a feel for who is better. I did through experience! :eek:

You get the whole "try before you buy" option and there is no cost to the applicant. Employers bear the whole cost.

Feel free to write if you want more specific info, glad to help another jobseeker! And the makeup artistry isn't weird at all. My girl is going in that direction perhaps. There are opportunities, it's just kind of a matter of what sort of area you live in I think. Some are a boom, others are not so big in their needs and job opportunities (think a small town in the south vs. a big metropolitan area). More jobs in the big metro areas I'm thinking.

Best of success in your venture. It's exciting but a little intimidating eh?

teachingaimee likes this

I don't know how cool it is, but I love my job. I work from home online. I can work in my pj's with a cup of coffee in my hand. LOL

CeCeJD and luckygirlrocks like this

For my next job, I want a cool job. I have always wanted to be a make-up artist, but can't because I don't have the experience. I also want a job where I can interact with people such as working in a hospital doing registration or something. I am very computer savvy and can type very fast. I might look into being a dispatch for the local police department. I dunno. I want a fun job and I figured this is the best place to ask for your thoughts and what you all do for a living. I am not able to be physical, but I surely can use the computer and phone.

Going back to the make-up artistry...I have enough makeup for 50 girls in their life time and love to do other people's make-up...crazy, huh?

I used to want to be a make up artist as well!! I used to work for Glamour Shots as a make up artist and hair stylist. I looked into going to school to become one but they don't have any cosmetology schools that let you major in make up artistry in Texas. I think I was told I'd have to go to Cali, NY or Florida for that.

My friend does 911 dispatching and I can tell you, it's a tough job! It takes a certain kind of person. She just got a call yesterday from a father who was standing over his daughter's body. His daughter has just shot herself in the head. I don't mean to be morbid, but just wanted to give you a heads up on the stress!

teachingaimee likes this

My friend does 911 dispatching and I can tell you, it's a tough job! It takes a certain kind of person. She just got a call yesterday from a father who was standing over his daughter's body. His daughter has just shot herself in the head. I don't mean to be morbid, but just wanted to give you a heads up on the stress!

On that subject, I think ANY type of customer service work over the telephone is stressful stuff. When customers aren't facing you in person, they sometimes tend to think of the employee as a non-person. In some people's minds, that gives them the right to curse at you, call you vulgar names, scream, etc.

I was a service rep for a major telecom company for over 2 years. I took a BIG pay cut to get out of that job, and transferred to a less stressful job within the company. I wasn't the only one...countless others did (and still do) the same thing. In my department of approximately 30, close to 1/2 of us transferred from higher paying (but very stressful) jobs like customer service rep, billing rep, operator, etc. Money isn't everything, not when your sanity is being affected. ;)

Heck, I was even cussed out in German one time! :eek: When the lady was finished screaming and stopped to take a breath, she said "Do you speak German?" I replied, "No, Mrs. Whatchamacallit, I don't. But I would be happy to transfer you to a German speaking representative if you'd like." She said, "Oh that's not necessary. Let me translate for you." Then she proceeded to cuss me out in English! :eek:

Other people would scream and rant over a 10 cent call on their bill that they didn't recognize...even after being told that we'd happily adjust the charge. Others would yell because their phone service had been turned off for non-payment. Um, try paying your bills, because you're 4 months past due? (I only wish I could have actually told them that!) Would these same people act this way if they were looking at you face-to-face? Probably not. The phone (much like the internet) gives a sense of anonymity, that sometimes brings out the worst in people.

So, in short...dealing with people over the telephone isn't fun and games.

Back to the original question...does anyone have a really cool job? Nope, not really. Just a boring, decent paying job. But my "dream" career is to be a freelance photographer...doing stuff like wedding, portraits, senior pictures, etc. Unfortunately, I have no special talent for photography. I think I have a good eye, but I don't have the technical know-how to capture the image in my mind with a camera. I keep saying that I'm going to take classes at a local college to pursue this interest, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe someday....

I don't know how cool it is, but I love my job. I work from home online. I can work in my pj's with a cup of coffee in my hand. LOL

I'd love to do that! Do you have a telecommuting arrangement with the company you already worked for, or is it a job where everyone telecommutes?

I would LOVE to work from home and make decent pay (pamela im jealous of you) as for customer service I have been working for Verizon landline and IT SUX; csr's always wanting something free, the mute button is the BEST THING EVER INVENTED! I would go for make-up artist sound like so much fun!

I would LOVE to work from home and make decent pay (pamela im jealous of you) as for customer service I have been working for Verizon landline and IT SUX; csr's always wanting something free, the mute button is the BEST THING EVER INVENTED! I would go for make-up artist sound like so much fun!

Lol, I laughed when I read this. Look at my previous post about my job (where I used to be a customer service rep/aka consultant). Guess what company I work for too? :D I used to hit my mute button constantly when I was a consultant...thank god it never broke because I would have gotten fired for sure!

Hang in there sweetie. Once you have your minimum time in, you can try to RAMP out of that hellhole. Yes, the grass IS greener on the other side. :)

So, what do you think about the union contract? Hopefully, it's settled soon and we get a fair deal. I heard that we're going to have to pay 3% of our wage for health care. That's not bad I suppose, but it's still a heck of a lot of money out of my pocket...and will probably negate any raise we get. I don't like working on an extended contact...I'd just as soon be out on strike. Were you around in 2000? We were out for 18 days then.

Well I no longer work but being a newspaper reporter is a kewl job. I did it for four years in a small town in Oklahoma. You meet a lot of interesting people and get to do things that you normally wouldn't get to do. There's nothing like having a press pass! :)

I used to work for answering services a long time ago. (by the way, that's where most of my weight came from...we worked like 12 hour shifts and one person would go get lunch for everyone and we'd have to eat while on the phone...) People decide to call at the worst times! 5 o'clock DUH! the office is closed! Don't yell at me because YOU forgot to call before then. Or the people that would call in and immediately go into their long drawn out story with me trying to interrupt, ma'am......ma'am....etc. and then when I finally get the chance to tell the caller that I'm the answering service, they'd get all kinds of mind and yell and whatnot... I would push mute and leave it or put them on hold and answer one of the other 50 lines that were ringing off the hook....let them scream...just not at me. :D

Thank God I got out of that hell hole! The money was nice but ONLY because I did work 12 hour shifts 6-7 days a week....overtime was what made it worth staying for. It paid for my college at the time but at the expense of my sleep and sanity...I'd answer phones in my sleep and my husband would just go to the couch....lol

NEVER AGAIN!

teachingaimee likes this

Well, I have done it all...

I have been a pastor for 7 years in the United Methodist Church.

I have been executive director of a program in Houston working with children with mental retardation.

I have been a professional musician.

I have been a church media consultant.

I have been a bookstore clerk.

I have been a dish washer.

I have been a salad chef.

I have been a door-to-door salesman.

I have been a telemarketer (sorry to anyone I offended at that).

I have served as a hospital corpsman in the US Navy.

I now have my coolest job of all... as of this year starting my own recording studio here in the Houston area... and loving every minute of it!

...I'd answer phones in my sleep and my husband would just go to the couch....lol

NEVER AGAIN!

Lol, I transferred out of my service rep job way back in 1999, and for several years I still cringed every time I heard a phone ring. When I was actually still working at that job, I used to have nightmares about it. Not hard to understand why I took a pay cut to get out of that hellhole, huh?

Lol, I laughed when I read this. Look at my previous post about my job (where I used to be a customer service rep/aka consultant). Guess what company I work for too? :D I used to hit my mute button constantly when I was a consultant...thank god it never broke because I would have gotten fired for sure!

Hang in there sweetie. Once you have your minimum time in, you can try to RAMP out of that hellhole. Yes, the grass IS greener on the other side. :)

So, what do you think about the union contract? Hopefully, it's settled soon and we get a fair deal. I heard that we're going to have to pay 3% of our wage for health care. That's not bad I suppose, but it's still a heck of a lot of money out of my pocket...and will probably negate any raise we get. I don't like working on an extended contact...I'd just as soon be out on strike. Were you around in 2000? We were out for 18 days then.

Sherry, when you said MAJOR telecommunication company and I look at what state you r from I was like hmmm I wonder if she works for Verizon as well. Yes I was with them on 2000 I really was hoping for a week off nothing more. But as for the contract I heard everything is settled except for the outsourcing of work for FiOS...I didnt hear anything about us having to pay for benefits i doubt they will budge on that...We used too have a Second Line manager from Pittsburgh, PA.. too funny SMALL WORLD!!!

Sherry, when you said MAJOR telecommunication company and I look at what state you r from I was like hmmm I wonder if she works for Verizon as well. Yes I was with them on 2000 I really was hoping for a week off nothing more. But as for the contract I heard everything is settled except for the outsourcing of work for FiOS...I didnt hear anything about us having to pay for benefits i doubt they will budge on that...We used too have a Second Line manager from Pittsburgh, PA.. too funny SMALL WORLD!!!

Yep, I was hoping for a week off too. There's a strong rumor that we're going to walk tomorrow at noon. The techs, splicers, etc have been told to return their trucks/vans to the garage by that time. Also, we were told (by union rep) not to leave the building if we have lunch at noon...so as to be able to retrieve purses, personal property, etc.

Who knows though...they could just be spreading this rumor to "bandstand".

The outsourcing stuff is important...landlines are slowly dying. I do database work, and I'm already starting to see a lot of FiOS orders coming across. It's only going to grow as time goes by.

Edited by sherry7
typo

Yep, I was hoping for a week off too. There's a strong rumor that we're going to walk tomorrow at noon. The techs, splicers, etc have been told to return their trucks/vans to the garage by that time. Also, we were told (by union rep) not to leave the building if we have lunch at noon...so as to be able to retrieve purses, personal property, etc.

Who knows though...they could just be spreading this rumor to "bandstand".

The outsourcing stuff is important...landlines are slowly dying. I do database work, and I'm already starting to see a lot of FiOS orders coming across. It's only going to grow as time goes by.

Oh wow I didnt hear that rumor! But we were told to file unemployment if we do from day 1 they even have a special # to call. Every customer I speak to WANTS FiOS! I am like dude relax its coming! The company should pay the people they are surplusing to do the jobs they send to india. MAN the worse thing VOL did I swear!

Oh wow I didnt hear that rumor! But we were told to file unemployment if we do from day 1 they even have a special # to call. Every customer I speak to WANTS FiOS! I am like dude relax its coming! The company should pay the people they are surplusing to do the jobs they send to india. MAN the worse thing VOL did I swear!

Well, it's probably just that...a rumor. :rolleyes:

We were told to file for unemployment too back in 2000...when we were out 18 days. Of course, it was flatly denied. That ended up just being a wasted afternoon sitting in the unemployment office, lol.

I'd love to have FiOS too. My area is a bit rural though, so I doubt we'll ever get it here. Heck, I had to fight tooth and nail to get DSL because we built a house in a brand new development where no one had it yet.

Hopefully we get a better contract than we did in 2003. The raises sucked on this past one. I plan on staying with VZ until retirement (a long ways away!), and I hope my job holds out that long.

You & me BOTH! Good Luck on your weightloss. Looking good! Thanks for the chat.

Hi KatPap,

I just sent you a PM. My union rep just called me with info for tomorrow.

I dunno if it's really cool but I really enjoy my job... I'm an Event Coordinator so I get to plan everything about any kind of even (trade fair, corporate events, parties, weddings...) and it's a ton of fun because no event is ever the same. :D

I have a cool job ....customer service for an airline......meet new people....never a dull day!!!

I've mostly enjoyed my career history. I've had a ton of different jobs and really love the one I'm doing now. I'm always up for trying (just about) anything once!

Among other jobs, I have:

* been a waitress

* been a grocery checker

* worked in a jewelry store (and spent most of my pay there, LOL!)

* been a White House Intern (awesome experience)

* delivered pizza (surprisingly well-paying)

* managed a laser tag arena (so fun!)

* taught elementary school (loved it!)

* worked in real estate (one word: UGH!)

* been a Justice Department intern

* worked in a Halloween store and at Macy's for money during the winter holidays (talk about INSANE. Also: NEVER AGAIN!)

* worked for the City of Sacramento (loved it)

* worked for the Coastal Commission (was my dream job)

* and am now a consultant! I get to work on several different projects, and it's a great high to know I'm being hired for my expertise. If I don't like one project, I know it will be changing sometime in the near future. The subject matter is very interesting to me (land use and environmental planning), and I get to see some cool results of my hard work (new buildings constructed, new environmental policies in play, horrible messes cleaned up and fixed, etc.). As a bonus, I get paid mileage for my commute, which is nice extra $$$! I also do get to telecommute sometimes, which is always nice. A few years ago, I had almost this same job with this same company, and I liked it enough that when I heard we might be getting laid off at the Coastal Commission, I called my old company and said, "Can I come back, please?!" And they said, "Sure, but only if you take a promotion and a nice raise." Well twist my arm, OK, LOL! :o So, though it was crushing to be forced to leave my "dream job" by the stupid state budget crisis, I am extremely relieved at how much I enjoy my work now. It's been awhile since I've really looked forward to going to work!

Edited by Nyn