Starhanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Surgeon:Arreola
  • Hospital:Hamot
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):51

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

My doctor never told me NOT to take Advil/Ibuprofen. The pharmacist KNOWS i had the RNY and I asked him about Advil, he said NO problem. I have read on here lately in many places that we absolutely can not take it. Can anyone tell me why? I forgot to ask my doctor about it last Friday when i saw him. I have only taken it 3 times, but I will not again. What does it do to us though?
*smiles*

Wendy

Lap GNY April 1, 2008
359/188/125
Highest/Current/Goal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.myspace.com/starhanger

#2 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

Wendy, even though there isn't much actual research in regards to NSAIDs use after RNY there is TONS of research in regards to NSAIDs use on people who haven't even had wls. The fact of the matter is that NSAIDs are hard on your stomach lining and can cause ulcers. Now after RNY we have several reasons why that risk increases.

1) We no longer have many gastric juices to "dilute" down that pill.

2) Our pouch is so much smaller so there is greater chance that pill will fall into about the same place whenever we swallow it constantly irritating the same place.

3) Before surgery we had several major sources of blood supply to our stomachs. After surgery it has been cut down to one or maybe two. Less blood to our pouch, less circulation, greater chance for ulcers.

I've talked to my surgeon about this. He is a surgeon who has done MANY scopes. From his personal experience he has seen many patients with ulcers after NSAIDs use....he says he has even had several cases where he has seen ulcers after only 2 doses of NSAIDs.

For myself, personally I don't want to take the chance. If there is a medical reason I should be taking them...like to decrease the risk of a heart attack or stroke, I'll be taking them but not without taking Cytotec or Carafate with it to at least decrease the risk of an ulcer forming.
~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#3 Sue0609

Sue0609

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Julie Kim
  • Hospital:Tufts Medical Center

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

My surgeon says you can't take NSAIDS "regularly", like for arthritis. My issue is severe menstrual pain - I mean so severe that I am bedridden and can't function for 2 days without Motrin. The surgeon's office told me it was ok to take 400 mg a few times a month. I tried just Tylenol and it didn't do a thing. I took 400 mg twice a day for two days. I was still in pain, but it took enough edge off. I can't take narcotics, they make me ill.

Hopefully I won't end up with an ulcer, only time will tell. I take my antacid religiously and I ate something with the Motrin.
Surgery Date: 6/9/08

299 / 280 / 197 / ?
High / Pre-op / Current / Goal

#4 Starhanger

Starhanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Surgeon:Arreola
  • Hospital:Hamot
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):51

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

OK, makes perfect sense now. Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely NOT take the advil again!
*smiles*

Wendy

Lap GNY April 1, 2008
359/188/125
Highest/Current/Goal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.myspace.com/starhanger

#5 SpocksGirl

SpocksGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

My Dr told me not to take them regularly, but that if I need to take them, take the lowest dose possiible, take my Zantac first, make sure I have an empty stomache and take it with a lot of fluids to push it out of the pouch and into the intestines quickly.
I'm one of those people that Tylenol does NOTHING for. I was taking upwards of 3000 ml and nothing, no relief. 200 ml of ibruprofen and I'm good to go.
Hmm...I wonder if crushing them 1st would also help push them out of the pouch faster?
Lap RNY 06/09/2008

#6 DrowningPride

DrowningPride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

Yea I was told I could take IB as long as it was non aspirin cuz its a blood thinner and not to take it regularly for pain. And to only take half the suggested dosage on the bottle so I usually only take one and it works great. Sorry im not much help :(

#7 rachalrg

rachalrg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Shang
  • Hospital:Mannheim Klinikum

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

I haven't had my surgery yet.... BUT.... a long time ago I was told to stop taking Ibuprofen because taking so many all the time will actually act as a blood thinner, plus they're terrible for your liver and guts. I have severe arthritis in both knees and my back and neck. I've just gotten used to walking around in pain all the time (and I mean on a scale from 1-10, it's like a 5-6 ALL the time)...I was taking like 800-1600mg a day......
I know....terrible! But I have since stopped and will only take some if my pain gets to like an 8-9 MAYBE...usually I just ice and heat transitions, tub soaking and laying in the bed with my legs propped up and just cry. lol
Rachal
surgery/current/goal
320/219/170
Surgery Date: August 28, 2008
Century Club Baby! (FINALLY!) July 2009

www.facebook.com/rachalrg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't.
Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

#8 LuvLVRN25

LuvLVRN25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Wallace
  • Hospital:Froedtert Memorial Hospital
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.8

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

I would definitely say if you do anything just make sure to not make it a habit. That's what my physician has recommended. Cuz I am telling you if I didn't at least take midol once a day with my menstrual cramps my husband would force some down my throat. lol. :)
Surgery Date: March 11, 2008
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ONEderland: 4-7-08

225/134/125
Start/Current/Goal